Photo

Quick poll - Spa or Monza 2010?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Blue16

Blue16

• 60 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 17:50

Hi everyone. Have done Spa for 7 years now (missed this year due to economic constraints), but have always fancied Monza. I'm sure somebody must have asked this question before, but I'd really welcome your thoughts from those of you who have done both. Basically:

- our trip will be Friday to Monday
- if its Spa, we'll drive; Monza we'll fly to Milan and train it to Monza
- Camping, whichever one we choose (unless somebody feels this would be a very bad idea at Monza, for whatever reason)

Help! Thanks for your guidance!
:wave:

Advertisement

#2 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 17:53

I haven't done both, but surely if you've done Spa as many times as you say you have, it would have to be Monza next season? Just for a change?!!

#3 Blue16

Blue16

• 60 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 18:56

I haven't done both, but surely if you've done Spa as many times as you say you have, it would have to be Monza next season? Just for a change?!!

Yeah, but its the age old problem of better the devil you know - a bit like trying to take Peraltada flat, or lifting a little. however i accept the consequences of getting it wrong are little less severe in my original question.

:confused:

#4 F1Annie

F1Annie

• 160 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 19:49

Hi everyone. Have done Spa for 7 years now (missed this year due to economic constraints), but have always fancied Monza. I'm sure somebody must have asked this question before, but I'd really welcome your thoughts from those of you who have done both. Basically:

- our trip will be Friday to Monday
- if its Spa, we'll drive; Monza we'll fly to Milan and train it to Monza
- Camping, whichever one we choose (unless somebody feels this would be a very bad idea at Monza, for whatever reason)

Help! Thanks for your guidance!
:wave:

I've done both & I can't choose between them. I'm going to Monza again in 2010 after a break of four years.

I find Monza is a very easy race to do. I stay in a cheap hotel next to Central Station in Milan where I get the train to Monza & then the free bus from Monza station to the circuit.

Monza guide 2009

#5 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 20:45

If it helps. Ryanair runs cheap flights from Stansted to Bergamo, which is almost as close to Monza as Milan Linate - and a lot nearer than Malpensa. Personally, I'd rather walk than use Ryanair, following one bad experience too many, but to each his own.

I stayed at the main circuit campsite in 2008, sharing a motorhome with two friends. It's very noisy, but there is a security system of sorts and if you don't have the correct ID bracelet - which confirms you have a pitch - you don't get in. The biggest obstacles usually occur in the mornings, when the pathways are littered with discarded beer bottles, blow-up dolls and unconscious Germans.

Along with Interlagos, Silverstone, Spa and - if its return is eventually confirmed - Montreal, Monza has an atmosphere apart.

Book now to avoid disappointment.

#6 Blue16

Blue16

• 60 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:37

Thanks guys for the feedback. Most helpful and much appreciated.

I'm off now to go an save up for the next 9 months............... :|

#7 Chewie

Chewie

• 111 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 15:09

I think you should go to Monza  ;) :p

#8 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 16:15

If you've done Spa that many times and it has to be one or the other I'd say Monza. Spa is fantastic and I'd reccomend it to everyone, but having a change seems like a great idea.

#9 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 15:57

Go to Monza, you won't regret it.

Really excellent track and experience.

#10 WorldChampion

WorldChampion

• 87 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 17:12

Monza ofcourse, its your last chance for heaven sake, they'll ditch it from 2011 onwards. Horrible people. Those greedy owners of the show.

#11 Altitude

Altitude

• 208 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 21:47

Monza ofcourse, its your last chance for heaven sake, they'll ditch it from 2011 onwards. Horrible people. Those greedy owners of the show.

Go back to Spa if you want human contact, and also the occasional toilet. Go to Monza if you want to be amongst animals for the weekend. I hope they do ditch it. Forget toilets at Monza, - the place is an absolute sh*thole.
And horrible people - Yes that describes the natives at any Italian circuit in my experience - they are absolute **** and subhuman. The most ignorant bunch of people I have ever met at a racing circuit when it comes to any kind of manners. They act as if they are third world and totally uneducated. Hopefully if they move the race to Rome, they will leave behind the decrepid relic that is Monza, but be forced to provide facilities for the spectators.

#12 Talking Point

Talking Point

• 201 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 00:23

Go back to Spa if you want human contact, and also the occasional toilet. Go to Monza if you want to be amongst animals for the weekend. I hope they do ditch it. Forget toilets at Monza, - the place is an absolute sh*thole.
And horrible people - Yes that describes the natives at any Italian circuit in my experience - they are absolute **** and subhuman. The most ignorant bunch of people I have ever met at a racing circuit when it comes to any kind of manners. They act as if they are third world and totally uneducated. Hopefully if they move the race to Rome, they will leave behind the decrepid relic that is Monza, but be forced to provide facilities for the spectators.

I've not been to Monza but I have been to several other venues. I find that there are an element of 'fans' at most GPs who are really bloody irritating; Briatain, perhaps unsurprisingly, is the worst culprit I've come across. WHY do idiots buy those retched air horns that are both irritating and actually dangerous? :evil: I haven't experienced Monza, but I can quite imagine what you're describing. It doesn't surprise me in the least that the 'Tifosi' act like hooligans.
The only race I've been to where there were no louts or people behaving idiotically was in Malaysia this year. It's a great circuit and I would recommend that race for anyone.

As for the original question; of those two races I've only been to Spa. It's a good race if you want a cheap and easy trip and a good view with general admission. But be warned; there is a hell of a lot of walking to get from a to b!! Seriously, the walk up the hill to Les Coumbes is steep and will take at least 40 minutes..... :o

#13 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:30

Which GP at Monza did you go to out of interest?

And where did you watch from when you experienced the animals?

I've been to Monza three times, twice in General Admission, and the fans are awesome.

I've watched from lots of different places, usually around the back of the circuit from Grande Curve, up around the Lesmos, then down the back straight into Ascari.

I reckon the whole notion of tfosi is a bit of a myth, a construction by journalists.

They Italian fans are passionate, but not fanatical in my experiece.

If you're going GA you have to find yourself a good spot and make sure you keep it.

But we've always made friends with the Italians wherever we've been standing.

They're very friendly and sociable people. We've always tried to make a little conversation and offer one of two a beer when we arrive to break the ice.

After that they're friends for life!

And the great things is security is really lax so you can carry in bags full of food and booze if you so desire, meaning you don't get smashed for 5 euros a can or 6 euros for a dry panini with a sliver of ham inside.

On the other side of the coin I found some elements of Barcelona quite fanatical and the Belgians really arrogant. And don't even get me started on some of the French at Le Mans.

But like anywhere, the bad eggs are generally exceptions to the rule.

There are some yobs at Monza, but they're everywhere. I'd never been to an English football match until last year and I was quite shocked. Now they're animals!

As for toilets, at Monza there are heaps of portables around the place. Failing that you are in the middle of a massive public park with lots of trees to pee on, if you're a bloke.

For the past two years I've gone with my girlfriend, and this year another mate and his missus came along too.

Neither of the girls had any trouble finding toilets.

Man, have you been to Bathurst?!? :)

My experience over the last three years couldn't have been any different.

We've always met really great people at Monza. This year we stood next to three generations of the same Italian family.

I was watching from Ascari one day in 2007 and got chatting to an Italian guy who'd been coming to Monza for 30 years.

He lived nearby and often popped down for test sessions as well.

He told me a great story about seeing Michael Schumacher have a massive, massive testing crash in 2004.

Must have been one of the few people who saw that!

The thing Monza has for me is atmosphere.

Sure, it's a little run down but that's part of the charm.

The Italians are just that little more relaxed.

Other races I've been to are so corporate, but Monza has a real awesome energy.

Spa and Monza are both worth doing, but for me Monza has the edge because the weather is a bit nicer and it is closer to a major city, whereas Spa is really in the middle of the countryside.

@Blue16: Why not go to both! I did that over two weekends in 07 and it was really awesome. The two best tracks on the calender back to back!

#14 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:00

I'm going to Monza next year and can't wait. I'll take the old and run down, but with lots of history anyday. It reminds me of the two Baseball parks here in Chicago... Wrigley Field and US Cellular Field. Wrigley is old and run down, smells like urine mixed with beer, has really poor bathroom facilities and some views are blocked with poles. Cellular is clean and new with much better food and facilities.
Yet you can't get a ticket to Wrigley, it is always sold out even with the piss poor Cubs team, it is a major Chicago tourist attraction, it is a historical site and I just can't get enough of it. In my eyes it is the most beautiful ballpark I have ever seen. US cellular is much more comfortable but I hate it. No atmosphere. You can keep your sterile new tracks...give me Monza, Spa, Silverstone etc.

#15 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:09

Dick, that's a fair analysis I reckon.

The F1 races I've been to in Australia and Spain felt like really corporate events.

Food is expensive, beer is expensive, you go to your allocated space and watch from there.

Spa and particularly Monza have a much more chilled out historical feel.

#16 pkenny

pkenny

• 198 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 21:59

I have been to both. Only once to Monza but was also there for a test in 2001. Spa three times.

If I were going again I would go back to Spa everytime. That said I am really glad I went to Monza at least once, so for my 5c worth go to Monza.

I thought Monza was well organised and friendly.

#17 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 15:00

Do Monza. Not only do you have the beautiful surroundings of the Royal park to enjoy and usually the hot sun, but Italians can cook.

On the other hand Belgians can brew.

Decisions decisions!