Photo

1991 McLaren MP4/6

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skeck

skeck

• 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 19:48

I just received the Tamiya 1/12th scale 1991 McLaren MP4/6.

I’ve been told the wing configuration that comes in the kit was that of the Japanese GP, but the decals were for the British (Silverstone) GP. I was also told the wing configuration was different between Britain and Japan. The wings could be correct for both versions for all I know.

I understand the Japanese GP car ran Marlboro logos, but licensing for the brand was not available for the model, so Tamiya included the "non-smoking" McLaren logos.

Does the kit build an accurate version of how it ran at Silverstone with McLaren decals as provided in the kit? Alternatively, would changing to Marlboro decals be all it takes to make it an accurate version for some other race?

Any help on understanding how accurate a model I can build out of the box is appreciated.

Steve

Advertisement

#2 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 20:41

Good luck. I used to build the Tamiya models until the 1/12 scale jobs became prohibitively expensive. Then the 1/20s until they escalated too! Also, I must confess that while I enjoyed building them I lost patience with the hours upon hours required to accuately paint them and to apply the ******decals which seemed designed to make me explode with frustration and anger. As it is, I have 15 1/12 scale models in my display case along with 11 of the 1/20s. Further, have nine 1/20s from the early 1990s still in their boxes because of the aforementioned loss of patience.

However, to get to the point. IIRC, it was not the absence of licensing that doomed the Marlboro (and all other cig manufacturers) from having their logos in the kits, but rather the nanny state and the thought police who had them banned. I guess their feeling is that any young kid who builds a model of a Marlboro McLaren or a Camel Lotus or a Mild Seven Benetton will immediately be compelled to dash out and buy a pack and become enslaved to the habit. So historical accuracy suffers. I do believe, however, that one can get decals over the 'net to accurately complete the model, but watch out.....the anti-smoking gestapo will hunt you down! :evil:

Tom

#3 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 00:14

I do believe, however, that one can get decals over the 'net to accurately complete the model, but watch out.....the anti-smoking gestapo will hunt you down! :evil:

I'm sure Tom's right and you can source accurate decals for the model in question... :)

One name which springs to mind is Studio 27 (in Japan, I think) who are high quality but not cheap. There are almost certainly detailing kits out there for the Tamiya 1:12 series too.

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:43

The sad bit is the tobacco advertising is technically legal under the historic exemption. A 1980s Marlboro McLaren is legit whether on TV, on track, or in a toy.

I gather though the restriction here is that since scale models are frequently undertaken by under 18's, that's where the problem begins since tobacco free models existed long before most tobacco bans.

Do alcohol sponsored cars come with an alternative water transfer kit?

#5 john t

john t

• 186 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 17:04

'Modelersite' sells PDF guides to Tamiya and Protar F1 1/12 kits. I've used a couple and they are very detailed and thorough. 'Best balsa kits' sell complete decals for 1/12 F1's and are accurate and detailed. If you are really keen then you can also buy 'transkits' that will add even more detail and accuracy to your McLaren. I'm told that the McLaren kit that you have was the pinnacle of Tamiya's F1's and having seen a finished model i would agree (although the Yardley M23 with 1973 transkit was my favourite).