Gerard Toth

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,856 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 20:32

Hello!

There are little to find about former Renault F1 team principal Gerard Toth.
Perhaps you can add some information about him:

- It was Gerard Toth's idea that Renault supplied other teams with engines and I think it was his idea that the Renault team was closed and only engine supplier 1986 and the following years. At least he was not very angry about that, I think...

- Before he was team principal at Renault, he was engineer and was responsible for quality at the team.

- He has to go to prison after he was convinced that he collect the money Tyrrell pays for the Renault engines in his own bag...

Can you add more?
Was he a former racing driver? Where?
Was he working for other teams after/before?
how long has he to go to prison? What did he after that?
And so on...

Advertisement

#2 seccotine

seccotine

• 129 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:37

Yes, that is a good topic.
There were lots of rumours about that guy but the insiders never gave any concrete informations. I am talking about France. In England, I assume no one had to be too careful about Renault's reputation...
Toth had come out of the blue to replace Larrousse and he seemed to have no specific experience. More or less coincidentally, Renault went downhill very fast.

#3 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,856 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 18:33

What kind of rumours were that?

#4 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 20:58

About the same time the Renault chief exec got moidered too I think. Toth attracted the ire of the motorsport journos almost as soon as he appeared, although I recall a ghost written Derek Warwick column bigging him up. If only they had a crystall ball...

#5 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 20:59

RE60 did have a great livery though, still looks good today!

#6 rateus

rateus

• 218 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 22:59

According to Nigel Roebuck's season review for Autosport, Toth "had not the slightest experience of motor racing" prior to his appointment as the team principal - he was a Renault company insider. Other phrases from that review include "an arrogance so rampant that other constructors noticed" and "a genius for getting himself misliked", which might hint at the high regard in which he was held.

iirc he criticised one of his drivers for taking the wrong line through a corner on the say-so of his wife, whose experience of racing equalled his own... :stoned:

#7 seccotine

seccotine

• 129 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:54

The kind of rumours I had previously heard.
Some documents found on Gérard Gamand's Autodiva :

"A la suite de la cession de la fourniture des moteurs Renault à Lotus, Ligier et Tyrrell.
Il fut arrèté et inculpé pour détournement de fonds sur une partie des prix de la location
des moteurs payée par Tyrrell !

Que devient l'affaire ??? Toth à disparue de la circulation.

(Formule Magazine N°32 page 30)

Gérard Toht, l'ancien directeur de Renault Sport (en 1985) a été inculpé
d' abus de biens sociaux, après avoir détourné des fonds au moment
de la livraison des moteurs Renault à l'équipe F1 Tyrrell.
Mais il a été remis provisoirement en liberté.
(Echappement N° 219 page 23)"

To make it quick : Toth was suspected of having kept for himself some of the money payed by tyrrel for the Renault engines. The first text also mentions that he was arrested following the accusations.
Little of that has been heard in France, at least in details.