• 1,600 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 00:51

Nice!

Advertisement

#602 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 13:28

I got this note and photo from Jerry Kroninger. Jerry found his original notes and drawings, which was a great assist for accuracy.

Don Lee has reconstructed the 20' fueling rig that we introduced at the first Trans-Am Race in 1969 at Michigan International Raceway, and I think that he has done an amazingly good job. I can't wait to actually see it.

Posted Image

#603 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 13:19

A very nice surprise, courtesy of my Dad. He was going through one of many of he & Mom's closets packed with model toys and boxes and discovered the following. He said he had forgotten that he had bought the set and thought I should take it home with me. I couldn't agree more! What a guy.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#604 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 14:00

Now THAT is something!!

First of all, I suspect that it has a considerable monetary value, what with the wooden case, etc. But knowing you, Brian, that is of no matter, as you are never going to get rid of it!

See you at the KIC next week.

Tom

#605 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 13:32

Mark Donohue in the McLaren M6B, 1968:

photo: the long defunct Racing Pictorial
Posted Image

#606 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,494 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 18:46

Yep, saw Mark run this car in the day, and Jerry Hansen after that. This car may have been an unknown, subconscious resource for my later becoming a pinstriper.

COOL, Brian!

#607 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 22:22

Yep, saw Mark run this car in the day, and Jerry Hansen after that.

Jerry Hansen never raced this car. He owned and raced M6A/1 in the 1968 Can Am series at the same time Donohue was racing this car, M6A/3 (a/k/a M6B prototype, if you will), for Roger Penske. M6A/3 went from Penske to Fred Baker to Gordon Dewar and so on, and last I heard was owned by Carl Moore.
Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 17 July 2011 - 22:24.

#608 Larry Fulhorst

Larry Fulhorst

• 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 18:11

Jerry Hansen never raced this car. He owned and raced M6A/1 in the 1968 Can Am series at the same time Donohue was racing this car, M6A/3 (a/k/a M6B prototype, if you will), for Roger Penske. M6A/3 went from Penske to Fred Baker to Gordon Dewar and so on, and last I heard was owned by Carl Moore.
Tom

Jerry Hansen did practice the car but did not start it for the 1969 Road America Can-Am.

#609 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,494 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 18:33

Tom

Standing corrected, and Thanks, which was the car Jerry shared with Mark in the USRRC at RA? I was very young then, so may be mistaking the M6A with a Lola T70....

Jerry Hansen did practice the car but did not start it for the 1969 Road America Can-Am.

I'll go with, "That's what I meant." :lol:

Edited by E1pix, 18 July 2011 - 18:35.

#610 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 19:44

I agree, Larry. Fred Baker owned the M6A/3 M6B proto and that weekend he and Jerry swapped rides, with Baker racing Hansen's Lola T-160 ex-AAR car. As you mention, Hansen did not make the race.

Standing corrected, and Thanks, which was the car Jerry shared with Mark in the USRRC at RA? I was very young then, so may be mistaking the M6A with a Lola T70....

Jerry Hansen co drove with Mark Donohue in the 1968 Road America 500. That car was M6A/1, which was Bruce's car in the 1967 Can Am. It was owned and raced by Penske Racing, and had a 427 in place of the original small block Chev. Donohue drove it the entire 1968 USRRC season, immediately after which Penske sold it to Hansen, who used it for the 1968 Can Am and SCCA Runoffs. After that, Hansen sold it to Dave Causey.

The 1968 RA 500 was Hansen's only drive for Penske. Besides the aforementioned McLaren M6A, Hansen also bought a Lola T-70 from Penske, that being the 1967 second half of the Can Am season T-70 that Follmer drove. Jerry used that car to win the 1967 Runoffs and then he drove it the first half of 1968, painted white, before selling it to Dick Kantrud. Hansen then bought another T-70, this one from Carroll Shelby. He drove that once, then sold it to Jerry Rosbach. He then bought the M6A/1 from Penske.

Yes Hansen had a lot of race cars. By my count, 47 over the period 1961-1986.

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 18 July 2011 - 19:46.

#611 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 21:06

Tom - Thanks for the great information that you so regularly provide throughout TNF. We are lucky to have you and your great knowledge. All the best. :up:

#612 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,494 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 21:14

Tom - Thanks for the great information that you so regularly provide throughout TNF. We are lucky to have you and your great knowledge. All the best. :up:

Yes Tom, I second B2's sentiments.

So Jerry did buy a Penske car as I'd thought, just not the pinstriped one above if I'm reading correctly. The pinstriped one is M6A/3 then, and Donohue ran the Can-Am with it after selling the M6A/1 to Hansen.... correct?

Thanks again.

#613 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 23:09

So Jerry did buy a Penske car as I'd thought, just not the pinstriped one above if I'm reading correctly. The pinstriped one is M6A/3 then, and Donohue ran the Can-Am with it after selling the M6A/1 to Hansen.... correct?

Exactly.

Tom

#614 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:50

An update on the reconstruction of the 20' Sunoco fueling rig that was used by Team Penske and Mark Donohue. It was designed in period by my friend Jerry Kroninger. Jerry was very helpful to Don Lee in it's rebirth in that he still had all of his original drawings. I'll let their words and photos tell the story.

Jerry,

I guess it went OK. Tom McIntyre and I parked our '68 Sunoco Camaros at the end of the main lane into the pits near start finish. We flanked the Big Rig. I thought it looked pretty good. The posters for both cars and the fuel rig were on display. I added dye to the water to create Sunoco 260. The sight gauge was perfect.

I only picked up the rig from the refabricator/painter on Wednesday and left for the track immediately. The best I could do was to get it unloaded with lots of help late Wednesday. Thursday morning the guys showed up and I got some real help. I had an electric winch all assembled to hoist up the bottom barrel, but we had enough guys so we just used the rope on both barrels to construct the rig. We laid the rig out on four jackstands and added parts including our TransAm sign. Then we just walked it up as you can see.

I probably went through a hundred pounds of dry ice over the weekend to good effect and great acclaim. People actually made a point of thanking me for bringing it to life. It is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I explained over and over again how you had the drawings and guided the construction. Folks loved it!!

We had lots of good looking, mostly female people pull the trigger and fill the Fournier tank!

People would stop in their tracks and gawk. A lot of people learned something about history.

At the end of the day, literally, I (you) won the "Best Paddock Display" award over and above folks with two Ferrari GTO's on display.

I am just starting to recover from the effort. What an incredible experience!!!!!

It had to be done.

Stay tuned to the Historic Trans Am site. We have a pro photographer who took hundreds of pictures!!!

I'm pretty sure it will be in every magazine and on SPEED.

Thank you so very much for doing so much then and now!!!

I look forward to a hike!

Don

Jerry's follow up:

As I expected, the Big Rig, as Don Lee named it, went over at Laguna Seca at the vintage Trans-Am races last week similar to its introduction at the first Trans-Am race at Michigan International Speedway in 1969. As an interesting sidelight, this past week I visited the shop of Walt Hane in Evergreen, CO. Walt raced a Mustang in the early years of the Trans-Am, and in 1969 he became one of the tech inspectors in SCCA for the Trans-Am.

Walt had worked for Ford Motor Company and raced in the Trans-Am, so he was imminently qualified to be a tech inspector. I vaguely remembered him back then, but I have come to know him quite well in recent years. He and his son Skip have a shop that only reconditions old Mustangs, primarily for vintage racing. Walt is in his 80s, and he still competes in vintage races and makes us old fellows proud, because he does quite well.

I visit him four or five times a year, and we enjoy talking about racing in the "good old days." When I visited him this time, I mentioned that Don Lee had reconstructed the 20' fueling rig that we unveiled at the first race in 1969 at Michigan International Speedway. He remembered it quite well and admitted that he was responsible for outlawing it immediately after that first race. He said that he did it for safety reasons, and even though Roger and I decried their actions of outlawing it after only one race,

I did understand, but I never gave them the satisfaction of admitting it at the time. However, I do believe that it would have been copied, and if a 20' fueling rig was not properly designed and built, it could have created a disaster in the pits.

Best regards,

Jerry

A very nice sequence of photos follows as the rig is set up.

https://picasaweb.go...gCKLroM6E__a_Mw

#615 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,494 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:30

Great Stuff, Brian! :up:

#616 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:57

Production Mark Donohue Javelin's on display at the recent Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in the Chicago suburb of Rosemont. My friend Jeff Filz is the owner of the "Big Bad Orange", 70,000 mile original car. I thought the display of Michael Argetsinger's two Mark Donohue books in the back window area was a nice touch.

photos: B²
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#617 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 19:06

MCACN was a delightful show and we had a great weekend. Nice pics.

#618 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 19:28

MCACN was a delightful show and we had a great weekend. Nice pics.

I came over by your beautiful car a few times during the course of the afternoon on Saturday to introduce myself, but each time I was told you were away. Perhaps the next time.

#619 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:25

Just Released: 1972 Indy "Winged Victory" is now available from First Turn Productions.

http://www.firstturnpro.com/

Advertisement

#620 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 16:24

From the SCCA website, Kevin Fandozzi, wins the 41st annual RRDC Mark Donohue Award:

http://www.scca.com/...x.cfm?cid=50917

#621 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 17:49

I did not see it posted elsewhere that the Matt Drendel Porsche collection is going up for auction at Amelia Island. A little sad.

Gooding to Auction Porsche 917-30

#622 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 17:50

I came over by your beautiful car a few times during the course of the afternoon on Saturday to introduce myself, but each time I was told you were away. Perhaps the next time.

Brian, my reply is long overdue, but thanks for your kind words and I look forward to meeting you in person soon.

#623 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 14:44

I did not see it posted elsewhere that the Matt Drendel Porsche collection is going up for auction at Amelia Island. A little sad.

Gooding to Auction Porsche 917-30

Ouch - this is truly a shame.

Brian, my reply is long overdue, but thanks for your kind words and I look forward to meeting you in person soon.

Likewise :up:

#624 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:33

Mark Donohue on board the Porsche 917/30 for the Watkins Glen Can-Am race in 1973.

photo: IMRRC
Posted Image

#625 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:49

Thanks to motorsporthistoryaddict -

Since I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else on this forum; for interested TRACO/ Travers & Coon fans, a new self-published book by Gordon Chance entitled "Race Man, Jim Travers and the TRACO Dynasty" is available in hardcover for $60.00 U.S. directly from the author at www.tunerpublications.com and his site is set up for Paypal payments. The book is 189 pages long with 197 photos and covers Jim Travers' entire career, including the TRACO story with Keck/ Vukovich, the Reventlow Scarabs, Penske/ Donohue, et al. The book's price of $60.00 includes shipping within the U.S., although Washington state residents will have to add tax. There is also a signed and numbered edition available for $80.00. The website has more details including the contents page.

#626 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:29

My Mom was sorting out some boxes of automotive materials that my parents have in storage for me (mainly 1960s-70s automotive brochures) when she came across this long-lost Mark Donohue/ Goodyear Indianapolis 500 victory poster from 1972. It measures approximately 4' x 6'. I rode my bike out to the Goodyear store when Mark won the race and managed to convince the manager to give me the poster when they were done with the promotion. It hung on the wall in my bedroom until I moved into my first place, Mom repainted the room and the Donohue poster was put into storage. I never forgot about having it, it was just that neither of us could find it. She even started to think that it may have unintentionally been thrown out. Anyway, it has been uncovered after a 35 year absence and I'm very grateful for that.

Posted Image

#627 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 21:21

Roger Penske will be honored May 26, 2012 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to commemorate Team Penske's first Indianapolis 500 victory with driver Mark Donohue. It would certainly be great to see the team members in attendance to help with the remembrance. I know Jerry Kroninger and Karl Kainhofer discussed the possibility of trying to attend as early as last summer, before any of this was planned.

http://www.indianapo...-may-26-at-ims/

#628 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,494 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 22:33

My Mom was sorting out some boxes of automotive materials that my parents have in storage for me (mainly 1960s-70s automotive brochures) when she came across this long-lost Mark Donohue/ Goodyear Indianapolis 500 victory poster from 1972. It measures approximately 4' x 6'. I rode my bike out to the Goodyear store when Mark won the race and managed to convince the manager to give me the poster when they were done with the promotion. It hung on the wall in my bedroom until I moved into my first place, Mom repainted the room and the Donohue poster was put into storage. I never forgot about having it, it was just that neither of us could find it. She even started to think that it may have unintentionally been thrown out. Anyway, it has been uncovered after a 35 year absence and I'm very grateful for that.

Posted Image

That is way too cool, Brian! :up:

#629 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 737 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:43

Roger Penske will be honored May 26, 2012 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to commemorate Team Penske's first Indianapolis 500 victory with driver Mark Donohue. It would certainly be great to see the team members in attendance to help with the remembrance. I know Jerry Kroninger and Karl Kainhofer discussed the possibility of trying to attend as early as last summer, before any of this was planned.

Karl and his wife usually come to the Speedway at some point during the month. His son works for Ilmor (as Chevrolet) as a track support engineer.

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 09 March 2012 - 09:44.

#630 SKL

SKL

• 596 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:41

Stopped by the Penske racing museum at North Scottsdale yesterday (stop by every month or so to see if there is anything new on display) and they had a movie running on 1968 Can-Am races. Had to watch for a while, especially the stuff about Road America as I was at that race! Mark was driving the car pictured a few spots above here... everyone looked quite young, especially considering I had just graduated from high school myself!!

Was surprised they were running that movie, narrated by Sam Posey- usually it is old Indy stuff which is still fun, but not the good old Can-Am stuff!!!

#631 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:34

Matt Drendel's Donohue Porsche 917/30 sells for 4.4 million at Amelia Island:

http://www.goodingco.com/

#632 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 13:07

OT a bit, but does anyone know why the 550 at this auction sold for so much?

#633 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 220 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 16:53

While I know this is a genuine 917/30, was it ever in fact a Mark Donohue car, or painted in Penske/Sunoco colors in period?

#634 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:27

While I know this is a genuine 917/30, was it ever in fact a Mark Donohue car, or painted in Penske/Sunoco colors in period?

From nearly three years ago in the 86th post of the New Mark Donohue Biography by Michael Argetsinger thread. The late Mr. Drendel's description of his Porsche 917/30:

"My 917/30 is chassis 917/30-004. It was Mark's brand new car for the 1974 Can-Am season had the 917/30's run that year. Obviously my car was not raced by Mark, but it was owned and assembled by Porsche and Porsche painted it in Sunoco colors and displayed it in their museum until selling the car in 1992 to David Morse. I bought it from Mr. Morse in 2001. It is correct in every respect, including having the 5.4 liter twin turbo 12 cylinder engine, and was driven by Roger Penske in 2001 at the first Porsche rennsport reunion. As Porsche's 917/30, chassis 002, was not running very well at all, I let Roger drive mine and he absolutely loved it! There are only two Sunoco cars in private hands, mine and chassis 003, which was Mark's primary car in 1973. Chassis 003 belongs to a french collector. Chassis 002 still belongs to Porsche. Chassis 005 and 006 do not have the correct engines or transmissions, hence are not able to be able to wear the Sunoco livery."

#635 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,789 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:18

I believe this car is 004, it's only Can Am appearance in 1974 being the Mid Ohio round and driven by Brian Redman.

Posted Image

Copyright JAG

#636 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 14:01

I thought 004 was an unraced factory car which went to Alan Hamilton in Australia in around 1976 and only after returning to the factory in the 1990s was painted in Sunoco colours...

#637 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 14:13

I thought 004 was an unraced factory car...

RSC agrees with you.

http://www.racingspo...17__30-004.html

#638 jimclark

jimclark

• 91 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 15:59

I believe this car is 004, it's only Can Am appearance in 1974 being the Mid Ohio round and driven by Brian Redman.

Posted Image

Copyright JAG

Mid-Ohio, '74 was 003. ;)

#639 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:56

A 96-page supplement titled 100th Anniversary Indianapolis 500 Yearbook is part of this years Indianapolis 500 program package. On pages 58 & 59 there is an article titled In their own words. that gives past winners impressions of driving a former winning car at last years pre-race ceremony.

Gil de Ferran on driving Mark Donohue's Penske-Sunoco-McLaren M16B:

"Driving the 1972 Mark Donohue car...the closest thing normal people can relate to is sitting in the President's chair in the Oval Office. I was sitting in and driving a car that was driven by a legend, Mark Donohue, owned by another legend, Roger Penske, and won at a legendary track, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It was an honor and total privilege to drive the car. Taking the lap it was great to see all the fans that respect and honor the history of the sport and be able to share the 100th Anniversary of the Indianapolis 500."

Advertisement

#640 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,494 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 16:46

A bit OT, but just received my Indy Excitement: 100 Years of Racing at Indianapolis Motor Speedway print by Thomas Kinkade.

It is awesome and highly recommended. :( :)

#641 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 737 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 22:00

Gil de Ferran on driving Mark Donohue's Penske-Sunoco-McLaren M16B:

"Driving the 1972 Mark Donohue car...the closest thing normal people can relate to is sitting in the President's chair in the Oval Office. I was sitting in and driving a car that was driven by a legend, Mark Donohue, owned by another legend, Roger Penske, and won at a legendary track, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It was an honor and total privilege to drive the car. Taking the lap it was great to see all the fans that respect and honor the history of the sport and be able to share the 100th Anniversary of the Indianapolis 500."

Typical de Ferran... pure class, and more articulate than 99% of native English speakers.

#642 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 22:09

Typical de Ferran... pure class, and more articulate than 99% of native English speakers.

Which immediately calls to mind the quote of Robin Miller after interviewing Takuma Sato: "He speaks better English than nascar drivers!"

#643 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:56

My dear friend Jerry Kroninger (more info in link) took time from being in Indianapolis (to attend the 40th anniversary of Team Penske and Mark's Indy win), and drove up to Auburn, IN, where I work, to say hello and deliver a box and bag full of mementos from his time with Mark and the team. The neatest are his credentials from Indianapolis in 1969 and 1970 when Jerry went over the wall to refuel Mark's Penske Lolas; also his credentials from the 1970 Ontario 500. I'm humbled and honored that he feels that I'm deserving.

Jerry, Karl Kainhofer, Ron Fournier, Dan Luginbuhl and (I believe) Don Cox are the five team members that have made it back along with Mr. Penske for the reunion. Mr. Penske is hosting a dinner for them one evening. David Donohue will be racing and cannot attend, but Michael Donohue is supposed to be in town also.

http://www.rrdc.org/...long-beach.html

#644 SKL

SKL

• 596 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 17:57

B Squared- that box will be very enjoyable to go through! Lucky man. One of my prized possessions is a signed placecard from the '74 Pocono Porsche Parade which Mark signed for me after his dinner speech. David was nice enough a few years ago to sign my original copy of the Unfair Advantage book- right next to the publishers editions of Argetsinger's Donohue books!

BTW, have fun at Indy!!

#645 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,494 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 19:32

Wow, Brian, doesn't get any better than that! How cool, and nice of Jerry.

#646 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 13:50

A colleague sent me the following, I thought I would pass it on.

"This is a 1970 Trans Am Javelin, they built 100 of for homologation - just before the SCCA changed the rules to 2500 units (that is where the Mark Donohue Javelin came from). Picture is taken at the Plymouth Road Headquarters/Design center. This must be a pre-production Trans Am Javelin as the it has a few small differences from the 100 that were built. Probably taken just after signing with Penske sometime in mid-1969."

Posted Image

#647 sblick

sblick

• 479 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 16:54

I am sure a few people are going this year. I am still waiting on word if my friends from California will be bringing their cars out

#648 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 19:30

I recently came across this shot of Mark in the Penske/McLaren-Offy M16 at Indianapolis in 1971.

Posted Image

#649 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 19:52

Lawrence Loshak wins the RRDC Mark Donohue Award; from Racer:

http://www.racer.com...article/316518/

#650 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,162 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:37

Milwaukee June 4, 1972, one week after Mark's Indy 500 victory. Bobby Unser won with Mark second, teammate Gary Bettenhausen was third. Also pictured are Mario Andretti who would finish eighth two laps laps down. John Martin was the last car running in seventeeth, 14 laps down.

1972Milwaukee_zpsf4570b9a.jpg