Photo

Mark Donohue celebration at Road America July, 2010

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#101 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:16

But Brian, haven't you heard? We are in the earth-is-doomed throes of global warming!

Oh, that's right. Tom, Are you doing side work as Al Gore's agent? Where is he anyway? :lol:

I've had countless good days at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but this is one that still is right at the top of the list. Memories can fade, but not this one. We always have a small family wager on who we think will win. I took Mark, my brother had Gary Bettenhausen, Dad took Bobby Unser and Mom picked Jerry Grant. We laughed at Mom's sentimental choice of Jerry, but he came so close that day, as did Gary. The following photos are from the Indy program with my thanks.

From Michael Argetsinger's Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence At Speed

If driving into victory lane at Indianapolis was the happiest moment of Mark's life, the most memorable in Karl Kainhofer's was the ride that followed. A lap of honor was an Indy tradition, and Karl joined Mark, Roger and Goodyear's Larry Truesdale in the Oldsmobile pace car. Mark shared Karl's feeling. "The most thrilling thing of all was to be in the pace car for the lap of honor with Roger and Karl," he said. "Back in 1966 when we started together I don't think we ever anticipated - well, maybe Roger did - that the day would ever come that the three of us would be in the same car as winners of the Indianapolis 500."

Posted Image

Advertisement

#102 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 20:12

But Brian, haven't you heard? We are in the earth-is-doomed throes of global warming!
Tom

OT: Uh, people, weather extremes tell us nothing about long-term climate change.

Yesterday it snowed in Baton Rouge. Tomorrow we'll be in the mid-60's.

Neither tells us anything about whether the icecaps are disappearing.

We now return to our regularly scheduled . . .

#103 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:57

From a two page Good Year spread which honored their winning drivers from the 1968 season. Amongst this fine group is Mark Donohue.

Posted Image

#104 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 16:47

OT: Uh, people, weather extremes tell us nothing about long-term climate change.

Yes it is OT, so I won't get sidetracked into any discussion of the myth of our age.
Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 14 February 2010 - 16:56.

#105 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 23:12

From a two page Good Year spread which honored their winning drivers from the 1968 season. Amongst this fine group is Mark Donohue.

Perhaps I'm reading the wrong magazines or getting too much of my info these days from the web, but I miss these kinds of ads, which don't seem as common any more. Oh, Firestone usually has an ad congratulating the Indy winner, and maybe scattered other races, and you see some NASCAR-related advertising, but this kind of comprehensive salute to all forms of racing seems a relic. The last of these that really impressed me, in a "I want a poster of that" kind of way, was Goodyear's ad a decade or so ago celebrating it's F1 winners.

Thanks for displaying these, Brian. Makes me wish I'd kept more of this over the years.

#106 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:55

Mark - Glad you're enjoying the ads. I put a Post It tab on so many of those when I was a kid going through the stacks of Road & Track, Sports Car Illustrated, Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Speed Age, etc., that friends of my dad had given to me. Some volumes were dated before I was born or old enough to read and the racing related advertisements just caught my eye. I've razored out many of them and have them matted and framed. I agree, we don't see much along that line anymore, like so many other things.

#107 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:58

Mark Donohue and Team Penske won both the Trans-Am and the United States Road Racing Championship (USRRC) in 1968. Champion Spark Plugs were quite proud of the usage of their products by Team in this quest.

Over the weekend, watching the Daytona 500, I heard the commentary about Boris Said is one of the best road course "ringers" (Lord, I despise that term) in NASCAR and that Max Papis is one of the best road racers in the world - that may be up for debate in my book. Regardless, there was a time that if you were a great driver, you drove whatever car your team offered up to you. If you had talent and were fast, it would be obvious to all. You aimed to win, no matter the discipline. Mark Donohue was one who certainly epitomized that way of doing business.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#108 AlMark

AlMark

• 82 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 15:36

Over the weekend, watching the Daytona 500, I heard the commentary about Boris Said is one of the best road course "ringers" (Lord, I despise that term) in NASCAR and that Max Papis is one of the best road racers in the world - that may be up for debate in my book. ....

You mean that NASCAR and IRL announcer's rating of drivers should be taken with more than a grain of salt? Oh my gosh!

Gil

#109 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 15:47

I refuse to watch nascar on tv for many reasons, not the least of which is the sheer absurdity of the drivel they spout. As related on Curt Cavin's blog today, twice during the Daytona 500 telecast it was stated that Dario Franchitti won the Indy Car championship last year because of the experience he gained in nascar. These people are truly disgusting, as is everything connected with that greed machine.
Tom

#110 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 16:19

Over the weekend, watching the Daytona 500, I heard the commentary about Boris Said is one of the best road course "ringers" (Lord, I despise that term) in NASCAR and that Max Papis is one of the best road racers in the world - that may be up for debate in my book. Regardless, there was a time that if you were a great driver, you drove whatever car your team offered up to you. If you had talent and were fast, it would be obvious to all.

You always have to correct for the inevitable NASCAR puffery--in the same telecast they insisted on calling Daytona something like (it was so absurd it literally went in one ear and out the other) the "birthplace of speed," as if auto racing prior to 1959 was an amateur affair, like synchronized swimming. :rolleyes:

But it's not just NASCAR. F1 claims to have the best two dozen drivers in the world, and come May we'll hear the same thing at Indy. It's a shame IROC became a joke and racers don't have any decent opportunities, or are too contract-bound, to show off their versatility any more. Because I believe that Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Robby Gordon, Juan Montoya, Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan, etc, could show just as well today as Mario, Gurney, Foyt, Clark, etc. did back in the day.

Edited by red stick, 17 February 2010 - 00:56.

#111 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 22:35

You always have to correct for the inevitable NASCAR puffery--in the same telecast they insisted on calling Daytona something like (it was so absurd it literally went in one ear and out the other) the "birthplace of speed," as if auto racing prior to 1959 was an amateur affair, like synchronized swimming. :rolleyes:

Heck, Mark, I have read (because I refuse to watch nascar) that the announcers called Daytona "the birthplace of RACING, not 'speed'. I can live with "The Birthplace of Speed", what with the running on the beach at the start of the 20th Century, but as has been reported in more than one place elsewhere, ESPN also called it the 'birthplace of racing'. Absolute horse manure and yet another example of the rewriting of history that constantly goes on in the insular world of nascar; not to mention the blind syncophants who regurgitate the garbage that they are fed. :mad:
Tom

#112 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,146 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 22:58

I refuse to watch nascar on tv for many reasons, not the least of which is the sheer absurdity of the drivel they spout. As related on Curt Cavin's blog today, twice during the Daytona 500 telecast it was stated that Dario Franchitti won the Indy Car championship last year because of the experience he gained in nascar. These people are truly disgusting, as is everything connected with that greed machine.

Which greed machine?..TV? ;)

One has to disconnect with the TV hyperbole (which is in no way condoning nor excusing it). As Mark points out, it's the same on F1 telecasts, IRL telecasts...it's just TV, it's what they do.

Worse yet is NASCAR's re-writing of their own history. Did you know Montoya was the first latino to win a NASCAR event? Which is too bad for Frank Mundy (real name: Francisco Menendez). He died last year at 91, almost two years after Montoya's "first".

It would have taken someone knowing, or checking, this to promote it. But, it's likely that even if they had checked, that it would not have been publicized because that makes the "achievement" and resultant publicity go away. And they are catering to, and counting on, that publicity. To me, the idiots and sloths in the general media allow it to happen and as such, are also responsible.

Tom, the term I heard repeatedly was "Birthplace of Speed", which I concur with you on. I don't have a problem with that. If anyone said it the way you have it written, it was only because they blew their lines :)

#113 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 00:55

All right, we'll give them "speed." But only half points, because even if technically correct, I doubt that's how they meant it! :smoking:

And I'm so glad I missed the Dario line . . . much to be said for bathroom breaks.

#114 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:24

I note that Dario Franchtti also won an Indy Car series title in 2007. Bookends on the NASCAR season where he apprenticed.

http://www.franchitt...ario/career.php

#115 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 517 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:02

What is this nascar thingy you guys are talking about?

ZOOOM

#116 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:41

If you read from post #107, it may clear the confusion. Let us know if you should need more background. B²

Edited by B Squared, 17 February 2010 - 02:41.

#117 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:49

ZOOOM

You probably called it Grand National. Regional series, mostly.

#118 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 13:36

Mark - Thanks for the laugh with your response to Zooom. It was late and I took his question too literally. :blush:

Mark Donohue's NASCAR win at Riverside is well documented. This photo by Frank Mormillo shows Donohue spinning from 3rd place, with help from Bobby Isaac, at the 1972 Miller High Life 500 at the Ontario Motor Speedway. Mark had qualified seventh. A.J. Foyt was on pole. Excerpt from the Car & Driver report titled: Sometimes You Win, Sometimes You're Not Welcome To Play.

This race carried a full international listing, and NASCAR's best would have to contend with the likes of A.J. Foyt and Mark Donohue again.

Neither Foyt nor Donohue proved to be very good guests at Ontario; Foyt, for the second year in a row, won the rich Ontario 500. He dominated the race, leading 145 of the 200 laps, and collected $31,695 in the process. (Added to his winnings from Daytona, Foyt plundered NASCAR coffers for more than $70,000 in two weeks.) Donohue, running third in the Matador, came upon some slower traffic in Ontario's turn one on lap 64; he lifted - just as Isaac attempted to slip by on the inside. Isaac tapped Donohue, and both of them spun into the wall; eliminating one guest and one regular.

Posted Image

Edited by B Squared, 17 February 2010 - 13:36.

#119 AlMark

AlMark

• 82 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 15:09

[quote name='B Squared' date='Feb 17 2010, 14:36' post='4149093']
"..........

Neither Foyt nor Donohue proved to be very good guests at Ontario; Foyt, for the second year in a row, won the rich Ontario 500. He dominated the race, leading 145 of the 200 laps, and collected $31,695 in the process. (Added to his winnings from Daytona, Foyt plundered NASCAR coffers for more than $70,000 in two weeks.) Donohue, running third in the Matador, came upon some slower traffic in Ontario's turn one on lap 64; he lifted - just as Isaac attempted to slip by on the inside. Isaac tapped Donohue, and both of them spun into the wall; eliminating one guest and one regular. "

I listened to this race on the radio. Boy, was I mad. That was almost a lifetime ago.

Advertisement

#120 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 13:54

The cover of Sun Oil Company's marketing paper offering their congratulations to Team Penske and Mark Donohue for their victory in the 1972 Indianapolis 500. Obviously they are very happy for Sunoco and the marketing tool and sales which the win helped to generate. My upcoming Soap Box Derby race and Sunoco's sponsorship of my car is on page 15 of the same paper. I won on July 15th.

I don't know how I missed out on getting one of the posters that was made available to the customers of Sunoco that is also shown. It probably had to do with being so busy getting ready to race in Akron in the Championships. I did manage to get a large (48" x 96") Goodyear poster from the local dealership touting Mark & Team's win.

Regarding the planned film, "Four Years to Victory", I was asked to introduce the film at the Sun Oil Company Midwest dealers meeting. It was a great honor for this then 14 year old. A very memorable experience. I finally saw the film for a second time last year at the International Motor Racing Research Center in Watkins Glen. It was one of many that ran during the course of the book launch weekend for Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence At Speed.

Posted Image

#121 jkracing

jkracing

• 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:44

I was digging through some old 8MM home movies my dad took and came across a reel from the first races at Pocono International Raceway. The 1971 Schaefer 500 was the first race my dad took me to see. It also turned out to be the first Indy car win for Penske and Mark Donohue. The quality is not the best but it does give a look back to a perfect race day that I will never forget. I had the film put on DVD and had music added, then posted parts on my Flickr site. Here are the links

First clip is Marks car (McLaren M16A) being pushed out to his pit before the race.
http://www.flickr.co...N04/4323573017/

The second clip is some pre race, pace laps and the start. Mario Andretti goes by in his McNamara Ford then two pit stops for A.J.Foyt (no tire changes back then) Mark Donohue takes the white flag. The last lap was cut due to size limit by flikr I will need to do a separate clip for that later.
http://www.flickr.co...N04/4360411701/

#122 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:14

jkracing,

I think it looks great.

I'd say that your 8mm probably has survived and looks better than the same thing on VHS for shorter period. Unfortunately, VHS tape was not the best format for maintaining image quality. Now, hopefully people are converting those special VHS tapes (and any 8MM like yours) to digital ASAP.

Does anyone else have any old 8mm tapes that can be rescued and shared with us?

Thanks for sharing these with us.

doug

#123 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,670 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:47

jkracing,

I think it looks great.

I'd say that your 8mm probably has survived and looks better than the same thing on VHS for shorter period. Unfortunately, VHS tape was not the best format for maintaining image quality. Now, hopefully people are converting those special VHS tapes (and any 8MM like yours) to digital ASAP.

Does anyone else have any old 8mm tapes that can be rescued and shared with us?

Thanks for sharing these with us.

doug

Hmmm, at the Pavek museum of broadcasting, in Mn. they are taking digital programs and putting them on tape, because they say digital has no shelf life.

#124 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 15:30

jk - thanks for posting the 8mm footage. I remember seeing the Penske Sunoco Mclaren M16 for the first time on the Wednesday May 12th practice day leading up to the opening day of qualifications. The car absolutely glistened, you can see that in your footage. That was the day that Mark was the first to unofficially turn a lap around IMS at over 180 mph. Some disagreed, the press room had him at 179.6 mph. The next day, there would be no question, he was clocked at 49.73 seconds, or 180.977 mph.

Bob - I've heard the same about digital and lack of shelf life, 8-10 years was the figure given to me. I've taped every Formula 1 race since the mid-'80's, the same with IndyCars until the split and used to tape everything historically related that the original Speedvision had to offer up. I've got about 300) tapes worth that I began to transfer over to DVD until hearing that information.

The following collage is from Sun Marketing Today July, 1972. Sunoco proudly heralds their victory. A couple of the captions are questionable. I think the top left victory shot actually has 4th place Sam Sessions following Mark as he receives the checkered flag from Pat Vidan. The shot with Gary Bettenhausen and Mark fails to mention Gary's magneto problem which ended his run at the win. Thanks for your interest. I appreciate the contributions to the thread.

I'm meeting Michael Argetsinger, Tom Schultz (RA Historian) and the regulars of the Chicago Loop Auto Sport Society (CLASS) on Thursday the 25th for the monthly lunch - I'm hoping to have information to share about the July Donohue Celebration as the details begin to come together.

Posted Image

#125 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 22:14

Hmmm, at the Pavek museum of broadcasting, in Mn. they are taking digital programs and putting them on tape, because they say digital has no shelf life.

Bob,

From what I understand, it is the recordable media that is used that has an unknown shelf life. Digital by nature is just the ability to distinguish between a "0" and a "1", and if can, you get an exact copy. Commercial DVD's are made differently and are pressed with bumps and valleys making up the "0"'s and "1"'s. Hard disks have shown to a very good relaiblity, but as technology changes, will the newest equipment be able to read the "old" formats. There are much better DVD disks now which use gold, because it is inert and doesn't oxidize (the problem the kills normal CD's and DVD's. There is one service I seen that uses the gold plated disks, but they charge $35 to copy a single DVD for you.

Everything I've ever heard about magnetic tape (like VHS), the will certainly start degrading the moment you record them. Maybe Pavek using using a different type of commercial media, but VHS tapes just hasn't been a preferred choice now that we know more about it. Everyone (like my tech guru, Leo Laporte) is now warning people to save then to a better format while they can.

doug

#126 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 23:32

Interesting. I still have dozens of perfectly good open-reel audio tapes that I recorded in the early 1960s. On the other hand, I have 1980s floppy disks and 1990s zip drives that might as well be used for saucers because no one makes the appropriate drives these days. Maybe we should load everything onto 33-1/3-rpm LPs (my turntable still works great).

Frank

#127 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:08

78's take up less room.

#128 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:20

OK, Donohue fanatics, can anybody help me with photos of this car?

This is a video which shows the exact car I am looking for. Go to about 25 secs into the video (it only lasts about 5 sec), and it shows the 917/30 in preseason testing with the all of the mods I want to recreate.

Thanks!

doug.

#129 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 15:06

OK, Donohue fanatics, can anybody help me with photos of this car?

Doug - I think I may have found what you're looking for. There is a Doug Nye article and 2) photos also taken by Mr. Nye on page 18 of the June 17, 1972 issue of Competition Press & Autoweek. The article is titled Inside Look At Donohue's CanAm Porsche. The photo caption reads: "Mark Donohue's Porsche 917/10 CanAm test car was less than beautiful as it appeared in final testing in Germany recently. The tail has obviously been lengthened from earlier configurations, but the most notable aerodynamic features are the air dams and holes on the nose." It's very clear in the photo that this is the "mule."

Possibly Mr. Nye would give permission for me to scan and post this rather faded newsprint photo to help you out. I've no idea if he looks in on this thread and may see this. I'll wait a bit and if not, I'll send him a PM and ask for his help - or you may want to do so independently of me. Either way, let me know how we can best proceed in getting this image to you for your modeling. B²

#130 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:45

Brian,

Thanks for going back into your old Autoweeks to trying to hep. Unfortunately, the car I need info on is not the 917/10, but the 917/30 in late preseason testing for 1973. The car already has the cobbled together long-tail, which it didn't have until close to the beginning of the 1973 race season. If you can get a chance to post the photo here, I can let you know if it might be "it". Or email me (ssshhhh).

doug

#131 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 18:05

Brian,

Thanks for going back into your old Autoweeks to trying to hep. Unfortunately, the car I need info on is not the 917/10, but the 917/30 in late preseason testing for 1973. The car already has the cobbled together long-tail, which it didn't have until close to the beginning of the 1973 race season. If you can get a chance to post the photo here, I can let you know if it might be "it". Or email me (ssshhhh).

doug

Doug - My humble apologies. :blush: I got so excited seeing the photo, I missed the year. Sorry about the false alarm. B²

#132 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 13:08

A portion of an early 1968 Champion ad honoring the top four points finishers in the 1967 CanAm series. Fourth being Mark Donohue and Team Penske.

Posted Image

#133 AlMark

AlMark

• 82 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 19:07

A portion of an early 1968 Champion ad honoring the top four points finishers in the 1967 CanAm series. Fourth being Mark Donohue and Team Penske.

Posted Image

Can anyone pinpoint with certainty the venue of the Donohue Lola in this ad.

Gil

#134 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,217 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 21:50

An American race track :wave:

#135 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,217 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 22:50

Posted Image......The MAN getting out of his office.

#136 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 13:11

Gil - I would be more than impressed if anyone could positively identify the track in the photo. Not a lot of real estate or markings to differentiate from.

eldougo - thanks for the great shot of Mark exiting (?) the cockpit of the PC-1. Mr. Penske and Mario Andretti are easily identified in the photo. Help with the two Penske crew members would be appreciated.

The ad below for The Unfair Advantage came out in September, 1975 - less than one month after Mark's last accident.

Posted Image

#137 UAR66

UAR66

• 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 20:16

enjoy reading everyones post on this subject.....Brian I will be coming Thursday with Michael and Tom too, look forward to seeing you there.....

also just put on Facebook.....I have gotten a block of rooms at the Comfort Inn at Sheboygan, WI for our friends who are attending the Mark Donohue Reunion 2010 at Road America. The motel is 7 miles to the track. They have many different kinds of rooms to choose from $110.49 to $125.49 per night. To reserve one of these rooms, you must call 920-457-7724 and ask for the Mark Donohue Reunion rate, and they will be happy to assist you. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

Paul

#138 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 23:08

enjoy reading everyones post on this subject.....Brian I will be coming Thursday with Michael and Tom too, look forward to seeing you there.....

also just put on Facebook.....I have gotten a block of rooms at the Comfort Inn at Sheboygan, WI for our friends who are attending the Mark Donohue Reunion 2010 at Road America. The motel is 7 miles to the track. They have many different kinds of rooms to choose from $110.49 to $125.49 per night. To reserve one of these rooms, you must call 920-457-7724 and ask for the Mark Donohue Reunion rate, and they will be happy to assist you. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

Paul

That is a very long seven miles, Paul! More like 16. But it is four lanes almost all the way so an easy drive.

Tom

P.S. See you this Thursday at the CLASS meeting. (www.classlunch.com)

#139 UAR66

UAR66

• 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 23:49

[quote name='RA Historian' date='Feb 23 2010, 23:08' post='4168773']
That is a very long seven miles, Paul! More like 16. But it is four lanes almost all the way so an easy drive.

If it is wrong, I apologize, I took it straight off of Comfort Inns web site. I looked at Mapquest and it is longer but as scarce as motels are in the area, its not that far away.

Look forward to seeing you Thursday.

Thanks

Paul

Advertisement

#140 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:00

No need to apologize, Paul. I have discovered that hotel's mileages are ALWAYS less than reality. I've stayed here in the past. Nice, clean, just what the normal Comfort Inn is like. Right on highway 23, quick drive via four lanes all the way to Plymouth, then about six two lane miles to the track. Should take 20, 25 minutes depending on traffic. You're not going to get anything better or closer at this date, unless you want to shell out a few hundred a night for the American Club in Kohler!
Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 24 February 2010 - 01:02.

#141 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:28

Paul & Tom - Look forward to seeing you both Thursday. I took your lead and booked a room. Thanks for the tip. :up:

#142 UAR66

UAR66

• 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:57

I took your lead and booked a room. Thanks for the tip. :up:

were they helpful when you called and ask for a room?

#143 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:21

were they helpful when you called and ask for a room?

I talked to a nice lady named Lisa, she was quite helpful. It took her a short time to find the appropriate screen on her computer with Mark Donohue Reunion and then it was smooth sailing. Thanks again Paul.

#144 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:19

While I know that this type of list is not etched in stone, it was still very nice to see that Mark Donohue was a contender for, NSSN correspondent, Al Robinson's look at which racer had the greatest season. From page 2 of National Speed Sport News Feb. 17, 2010 - A Year To Remember. I'm only listing the ten contenders and the reasoning behind them being in the mix according to the judges.

This paragraph from the article lists the judges:

Our distinguished judges include NSSN columnists Dave Argabright, Ron Hedger and Greg Zyla. For NASCAR experts we tabbed Al Pearce, Autoweek's man at the races for nearly 40 years, and Tom Cotter, one of the architects of modern stock-car sponsorship. Rounding out the panel are TV and radio broadcaster Rick Benjamin, New England racer, author and publisher Lew Boyd, and Dr. Pat Sullivan, author and announcer whose beat ranges from NASCAR Sprint Cup to sprint cars at Bloomington Speedway and from IRL to ORP.

10 Contenders For 'The Best Season Ever'

A.J. Foyt, 1964 - He won 10 of 13 USAC Championship Trail events entered, the first seven in a row, including his second Indy 500 and all five dirt-track races. Only once, at Trenton, did he fail to win while driving a front-engine championship car. In his spare time he won five USAC sprint-car features, three USAC stock-car races, and the Fireball 400 at Daytona.

Jim Clark, 1965 - The only driver to win the Indy 500 and the World Championship in the same season, led all but 10 laps of the 200 at Indianapolis, and five of his six F-1 victories were led flag to flag. By the way, he skipped Monaco to concentrate on Indy. He also won in Formula 2 and in British saloon (sedan) races with a Lotus Cortina. He started the year by winning the Tasman Championship in Australia.

Richard Petty, 1967 - The King won 27 of 48 starts including 10 in a row from August to October. There were some walkovers in there, but he won the Southern 500 at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway by leading all but 19 laps. Outside the streak he scored superspeedway wins at Darlington's Rebel 400, Rockingham (N.C.) and Trenton (N.J.).

Mark Donohue, 1968 - At the peak of his crew-cut image as "Captain Nice", Roger Penske's hired gun won 10 Trans-Am races to give Chevrolet the manufacturer's championship and five USRRC events to win that title in his own name. For the two SCCA national pro series he was 15 for 22, a .681 batting average.

David Pearson, 1973 - A partial season, but what a season. The Silver Fox and the Wood Brothers Mercury won 11 times in 18 starts, including season sweeps at Atlanta Motor Speedway, Dover (Del.) and Rockingham (N.C.) and single wins at Darlington, Talladega (Ala.), Daytona, Michigan Int'l Speedway and Martinsville (Va.).

Bill Elliott, 1985 - Awesome Bill became Million Dollar Bill in the first season of R.J. Reynolds' seven-figure bonus for winning three of four classic races - the Daytona 500, Winston 500, World 600 and Southern 500. The second jewel in the crown was the Winston 500, where Elliott lost almost two laps under green flag at lap 48 and made them up with no cautions in 97 laps to retake the lead.

Steve Kinser, 1987 - Driving his cousin Karl's familiar No. 11, The King of the Outlaws posted 46 victories in 69-point races, including 12 in a row and 26 of the last 28. Adding WoO preliminary features and non-sanctioned races he won 56 events. Along the way, he captured the Kings Royal and the Knoxville Nationals. His WoO winnings were more than $375,000, a lot of money then or now.

Michael Schumacher, 2002 - It was boring to watch, but you had to admire the perfection that made so many other elite professionals look like weekend warriors. The best driver with the best car from the team with the biggest budget won 11 Grands Prix out of 17 while claiming his fifth World Championship. He finished on the podium in all 17 starts.

J.J. Yeley, 2003 - Only two drivers have won the USAC Triple Crown - the national midget, sprint car and Silver Crown titles in the same season. Tony Stewart was the first in 1995, but he credits Yeley with a greater achievement. Stewart should know, since he was Yeley's sprint car owner. Yeley won features in every division - four Silver Crown, 14 sprint car and six midget, whereas Stewart's triple was done without a Silver Crown win. He also won on both dirt and asphalt in each series. His 24 USAC national series victories easily topped the former record of 19, shared by Foyt, Sleepy Tripp and Jay Drake.

Kyle Busch, 2008 or 2009, take your pick - In '08 Rowdy won 21 NASCAR national series races (eight Cup, 10 Nationwide, three truck) and made The Chase, but won no championships. His 2009 campaign was flawed by not making The Chase, but he still had a season for the ages. He won the Nationwide Series title in a runaway with nine checkered flags, led the Camping World Truck Series win seven wins, and won four races in Sprint Cup competition.

Robinson admits that the jury had no "die-hard road-racing maven" and that "accounts for neither Clark nor Donohue making a blip on the radar screen." In the end, Foyt's 1964 season was judged to be the greatest ever. Nothing but speculation and opinion, but great to see Mark's accomplishments recognized yet again.

#145 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:44

From Auto Racing Digest, July, 1973:

Auto racing is something like running a foot race according to Mark Donohue.

"Suppose you're running a foot race," he explains. "It's going to be over a certain distance, and if you're going to win that race, you're going to have to put every bit of your energy into running"

"You're going to have to take it all out of yourself, but at a rate which will let it last just to the end. You don't want to waste any of it in extraneous motion. No excess arm movements, not even in screwing up the muscles in your face. If you're gritting your teeth, you're using up energy that can't go into your legs."

"Well, driving a race car is just such an athletic activity. I try to pace myself according to the race distance and still give it everything I've got. I reckon that if I don't finish a race pretty well drained, almost exhausted, then I haven't been fair to the guys who are backing me."

"They've all given me their best in preparing the car, and I have to do the same during the time I have to do my job."

#146 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 734 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:35

eldougo - thanks for the great shot of Mark exiting (?) the cockpit of the PC-1. Mr. Penske and Mario Andretti are easily identified in the photo. Help with the two Penske crew members would be appreciated.

I believe the fellow in the lairy trousers is Heinz Hofer. The guy bending over the RR tyre is not a Penske guy, but a Goodyear tyre tech taking temps. Obviously Roger is the fellow watching him intently, (as if you couldn't tell).

Nigel

#147 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 517 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:54

I managed to finish the Mike Argetsinger bio on Mark this afternoon. Had to borrow it of course... Interesting read. Found a quote by our own RA Historian in the book somewhere...
Nice to know that I know someone who is famous...
Congrats Tom!

ZOOOM

#148 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:06

Nigel - Thank you for the identification of Heinz Hofer. :up:

ZOOOM - Speaking of RA Historian, Tom Schultz, I had the great pleasure of meeting Tom yesterday in Chicago for the monthly CLASS (Chicago Loop Auto Sport Society) Lunch held at the fabulous and elegant Pazzo's. Tom was the gracious guest speaker and gave us all an interesting twist when he gave us a two page quiz on the history of Road America. Talk about a great way to be humbled! I didn't get a passing grade, I'm afraid. :blush: I got 8 of the 17 correct. The only one that saved me any face was that I was able to name 11 of the 13 World Champions who have driven at Road America. Of course, there were some Mark Donohue questions in the mix and by being seated next to Paul Powell (UAR66), we were able to successfully navigate through those. A great time was had by the twenty-some that gathered to listen and share stories. Special thanks to John Welch who puts the whole thing together. I really enjoy being part of the group. Thank you all.

The Mark Donohue Reunion is coming together quite nicely in that there are nearly 20 of Mark Donohue's race cars commited for the event. These include the 1972 McLaren M16B Indy 500 winning car, courtesy of Ellen Bireley and the wonderful staff at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum. Both the 1972 Porsche 917/10 and 1973 Porshe 917/30. All of Mark's Trans-Am cars, his 1973 Indy Eagle-Offy and more. I don't have the complete list, but those are some off the top of my head, including an AMC group with production Mark Donohue Javelins that will have its own car corral. It sounds as if Team Penske members and associates will also be in attendance. Based on the turnout of Mark's family at Watkins Glen in April, 2009, I wouldn't be surprised to see some in attendance at Road America in July, although that was not specifically discussed. From all I'm hearing, this is going to be a "must see" event on the vintage calendar this year. I hope to see many of our North American friends in attendance to honor Mark and his legacy and to also be first on the block to purchase the photo companion book that Michael Argetsnger and David Bull Publishing are diligently working on. A great time should be on the slate for all.

A few photos from yesterdays CLASS Lunch.
Posted Image
All TNF line up of Tom Schultz, Paul Medici and Paul Powell

Posted Image
A little social time before Tom humbled us

Posted Image
Michael Argetsinger introduces Tom Schultz (RA Historian)

Posted Image
Overview of attendees

Posted Image
More who gathered to hear Tom's amazing knowledge and insight. Thanks to all who attended and especially to our friend, Tom Schultz, who made the trip in from Milwaukee.

Edited by B Squared, 26 February 2010 - 12:26.

#149 UAR66

UAR66

• 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 16:29

Thanks for sharing all the pictures from Chicago.....I never feel old till I see how grey I am....LOL

I enjoyed meeting everyone yesterday. Enjoying breakfast and riding the train to the loop made it even more fun, but the best was just sharing stories with eveyone and meeting each one of you.....

To add what is coming to the Mark Donohue Reunion, Marks first Indy car, and Eagle Chev#12 will be there, along with the Ferrari 275 Mark co drove with Walt at Sebring, Penske Racings Penske PC1 and IROC Champion Porsche Carrera will be there too.....Im doing this from memory so Im sure Im missing some that are not mentioned between myself and Brian.

We are also having a breakfast at the old Skippy school on Sunday morning starting at 7:30am, with Micheal Argetsinger being the MC, and having some of the key people from Marks career speak and many of his car being in the room with us all, and a slide presentation to be included from Pete Luango. The seats with be limited to the first 500 people, and we expect it to be a sold out event quickly. Tickets will be bought thru the Road America office. I dont think they are prepared to take any orders yet, but probably closer to Spring. I will keep everyone posted.

It should be a memorable event for everyone.

#150 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 18:29

Brian and Paul, thanks much for the kind words and for the photos. It was a great time yesterday and I enjoyed myself very much. It was great meeting several fellow TNFers with whom I had only met through e mail prior. A special thanks to Mike Argetsinger who invited me to speak to the group. Mike was such a gracious and generous host to our TNF group, opening his house to Brian, Paul, Paul Medici, Pete Luongo, and myself, showing us his immense collection of books, trophies, memorabilia, posters, paintings, and so on and so on. Sitting on a place of honor was the GPDA trophy awarded to Watkins Glen by the GPDA for the best GP of the year. Also, Mike took us all out for breakfast and even popped for the transportation from his very nice home to the restaurant in downtown Chicago. Mike, I appreciate it very much!

John Welch, Pete Luongo, B.S. Levy and numerous other aficionados were at the lunch. Very welcome guests included 1960s race drivers Roy Kumnick (Tero Corvette; driver of Corvettes, Cooper-Ford, Hamill SR-3, Lola T-70) and Fred Pipin (winner of the 1967 Road America June Sprints in the Tero Cooper-Ford, driver of McKee Mk VI and Lola T-70 also).

The majority of the Donohue Reunion committee was present, headed by Paul Powell who is doing a remarkable job at pulling this all together, making arrangements, soliciting cars, arranging dinners, and so on. Brian Brown possesses an amazing knowledge of Donohue lore and trivia and is generous in his contributions. Paul Medici throws in his knowledge and photos, Mike Argetsinger is, well, THE expert, and I stand and observe all this energy and planning. Too bad committee member Rick Dresang could not make it, but we must assume that somebody in our group has to work.

I'll let Paul tell you over time what the plans are, but from what I heard yesterday it is going to be an event to remember. I must have been in the john when he mentioned the Sunday AM breakfast, but count me in!

Again, a great day, and so much fun to be among fellow enthusiasts. You know, a wonderful aspect of this whole deal, TNF, lunches, etc., is that you can meet a fellow sports car nut and instantly become great friends. It happened yesterday.

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 26 February 2010 - 18:34.