Photo

Mark Donohue celebration at Road America July, 2010

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#151 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,415 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 18:32

Thanks for sharing all the pictures from Chicago.....I never feel old till I see how grey I am....

At least you have hair, Paul!
Tom

Advertisement

#152 UAR66

UAR66

• 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 19:04

At least you have hair, Paul!
Tom

I still tell people Im blonde and Cheryl, always laughs and says....um NO....I was blonde when I met her, so I blame her always......

#153 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 517 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:25

Chicago.... Lunch... libations...
As a former member of the ODHDC (Outer Drive Heros Driver Club) how come I missed the event?

ZOOOM

#154 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:58

Sitting on a place of honor was the GPDA trophy awarded to Watkins Glen by the GPDA for the best GP of the year.

I believe Michael said that Watkins Glen was awarded this honor 3) times and this is the 1965 award. He has a picture of his father, Cameron, accepting the trophy from GPDA President, Jo Bonnier, and Vice President, Graham Hill, displayed nearby. An absolutely beautiful piece
Posted Image

Chicago.... Lunch... libations...
As a former member of the ODHDC (Outer Drive Heros Driver Club) how come I missed the event?

So you don't miss any in the future, here is the website with the year's itinerary. All enthusiasts are welcome. Hope to see you next month!

http://www.classlunch.net/

Tom and Paul - Glad to hear how much you enjoyed the time in Chicago, as did I.

#155 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 517 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 18:12

Posted Image
1970 Indy 500. Pace lap. Mark qualified fifth alongside McClusky and Art Pollard. He finished second. Portent of things to come.
This was a great shot when I took it but it's been hanging on my wall for almost 40 years. The color has faded quite a bit.
The guys over on Track Forum managed to photochop it to make it look better. At my age I'm lucky I can even figure out how to post it!

ZOOOM

Edited by ZOOOM, 27 February 2010 - 18:22.

#156 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 16:12

The third page from Sun Marketing Today, July, 1972. I see that Sunoco was preparing to pass out one million free tickets for the Pocono 500 qualifying day. Also, I don't recall Team Penske being referred to as The Action Team, but there it is.

Posted Image

#157 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:44

Raybestos honors the winners of the USAC Triple Crown.

Posted Image

#158 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:59

AMC (American Motors Corporation) used the Penske/Donohue/Javelin Trans-Am victories as the theme of numerous ads of the period.

Posted Image

#159 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:47

Paul Powell (UAR66) told me, last Thursday, about a new Sunoco television commercial that shows clips of historical footage of Mark Donohue. I've seen it once - it begins with Mark and ends with Mark and NASCAR Champion, Jimmie Johnson sharing the same screen. I haven't been able to find a link to it, but will post when I do. My one time impression of the presentation was quite positive. Great to see Mark remembered in this way, honoring his accomplishments in motor sports.

I searched at the Sunoco website and found Team Penske and Mark mentioned in the overview of Sunoco's racing history, which was great to see. I was most disappointed to see that they have Mark's last name misspelled.

http://sunocoinc.com...umer/RaceFuels/

Advertisement

#160 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 13:03

Mark Donohue's Penske Ferrari in 1978 at Watkins Glen during a vintage event over the Formula 1 weekend. Organizers of the Mark Donohue Reunion Weekend at Road America are doing all they can to secure this cars appearance. It would be great to see it at Elkhart Lake with Mark's many cars on display.

Posted Image

#161 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 22:30

This car was maintained by the Romak family for many years, until sold to a gentleman in I believe Switzerland. I think the car was still owned by one of the original investors from back in 1971, and the Romak's would maintain it and bring it Monterey on a regular basis. They maintained the car as close to original as humanly possible, where the Swiss gentleman has taken liberties with some body modifications, some tacky current decals, and a some detailing not as the car original raced. Not terribly wrong changes to the car, but not to the care and detail that Bud Romak and his family kept it for many years. It would be great to see it come back to the US, in any form.

doug

Edited by Cam2InfoNeeded, 04 March 2010 - 22:31.

#162 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:36

Out of the numerous ads that featured Mark Donohue and Team Penske, I believe that this is my favorite. Number one, you see a beautiful, diverse selection of race cars. I guess that the smile on Mark's face and the look of satisfaction is the way I always remember him. I can't imagine the pride that one would take in not only developing the cars, but to then be the one that got to race them.... well, that makes it even harder to comprehend. I know how hard he could be on himself, but maybe this shows just how much he truly loved his work.

Posted Image

#163 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:46

An uncredited photo of Mark in 1970 aboard the Lola in which he placed 2nd at that years Indianapolis 500. Karl Kainhofer on the left, Sun Oil engineer and Team member Jerry Kroninger on the right.

Posted Image

Edited by B Squared, 07 March 2010 - 05:51.

#164 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 15:02

From the 1971 California 500 at Ontario Motor Speedway program, an ad for the TransAm race at Riverside International Raceway featuring Mark Donohue in the Team Penske/ Javelin.

Posted Image

#165 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 14:00

Mark Donohue at speed in the 1970 Penske/ Sunoco/ Lola-Turbo Ford

Posted Image

#166 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 13:59

Mark Donohue patiently waits to return to the track in 1970 aboard the Lola IndyCar.

Posted Image

#167 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 14:51

My first contact with Mark Donohue was in 1969 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Gasoline Alley area. I had my 1967 IMS program in hand and was getting autographs as an 11) year old. Mark's signature is quite light, placed in the loop of A.J. Foyt's by the left wing of the logo.

Posted Image

There is one on here I'm unsure of - the legible ones are: Mauri Rose, Jack Brabham, Graham Hill, Larry Dickson, Johnny Rutherford, Gordon Johncock, Lee Roy Yarbrough (across the flags), Jerry Grant, Jim Malloy, Dan Gurney, Bob Unser, Mark Donohue, Parnelli Jones, A.J. Foyt, Al Unser, Mile Mosley, Wally Dallenbach.
Some are a bit light as my pen was running low on ink.

#168 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 13:16

As the USAC Championship went into the September 5, 1971 500 miler at Ontario Motor Speedway, Mark Donohue was placed 4th.

Posted Image

#169 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 16:02

Mark Donohue and chief mechanic, Karl Kainhofer, are all smiles during preparation work on the Penske/ McLaren M16 Turbo-Offy IndyCar. They had to have known what a rocket ship they had for the 1971 season.

Posted Image

#170 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:26

Brian,

You didn't post a message today until after 8 am (they are usually around 5 am). Are you going soft on us and sleeping in for a change! :lol:

#171 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:27

You didn't post a message today until after 8 am (they are usually around 5 am). Are you going soft on us and sleeping in for a change! :lol:

Glad to see someone is paying attention. :up: In fact, I was up at my "normal" early hour. With this incredibly soft economy, I'm not doing much design work for high end custom cabinetry, but I actually had some drawings that I had to complete for a client. Back to the important things, like Mark Donohue and racing! I'll be heading to the television soon to watch Formula 1 qualifying from Bahrain. Great to see the cars officially back on the track. Still trying to get a bit more excited for IndyCars tomorrow.

From the 1971 Ontario 500 program, Mark, Al Unser and the Parnelli Jones/ Granatelli turbine in an ad for Bear Safety Service. I got my Dad a book a few years ago that was exclusively shots taken in the Bear service area at Indy. Quite a few photos in it which I hadn't seen before.

Posted Image

#172 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:38

The USAC "Triple Crown" being used as the backdrop for yet another ad. Joe Leonard is reported to be successfully recovering from a recent heart attack. Joe was one of my family's favorites during his driving years. Glad to hear he is doing well.

Posted Image

#173 AlMark

AlMark

• 82 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 14:03

Brian,

You must have enough material to fill a book of your own.

Gil

#174 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:47

You must have enough material to fill a book of your own.

Gil - I'm not too sure about that, but I do have a lot of old material. The thing is, I could do the same type of presentations for A.J. Foyt, Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti, Jim Clark, Rodger Ward, Al Unser, Bobby Unser, Parnelli Jones, etc.. They all were very prominently featured in ads of the era. Open wheel drivers had the respect of that time frame that is now seemingly only reserved for NASCAR drivers. Richard Petty was the only full time stock car driver of that era who would consistently appear in this manner. Thanks again for your interest.

The following is from the inaugural program for IndyCars at Michigan International Speedway on October 13, 1968. The uncredited article was called The Racing Spectrum U.S. Style. No photo credits either.

Posted Image

#175 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,125 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 22:02

From the 1971 California 500 at Ontario Motor Speedway program, an ad for the TransAm race at Riverside International Raceway featuring Mark Donohue in the Team Penske/ Javelin.

Posted Image

Apropos of nothing, but the font on that advertisement looks a lot like the one used on Taco Bell restaurants! A weird coinkidink.

-WDH

#176 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:49

From Car & Driver December, 1971. Brock Yates excerpt from the article Welcome to the "Big Time". The 1971 Canadian Grand Prix debut of Team Penske and Mark Donohue is the basis of the story. Mark excelled in the rainy conditions to finish 3rd in the Sunoco Penske McLaren M19 Ford.

Penske and Donohue have heard it all before. When Jackie Stewart stood up at a cocktail party two nights before the Canadian Grand Prix and raffishly told the crowd that he was "delighted to welcome Roger and Mark to Big Time motor racing" everybody laughed, including the pair of novitiates. But their frozen grins exhibited a greater measure of politeness than amusement. People have been welcoming Mark Donohue and Roger Penske to various versions of so-called Big Time motor racing for years and the recurring reference to this astounding team as rookies is becoming a trifle tiresome.

In 1969, Dan Gurney and his then-manager, Max Muhleman, sat at a table in the Speedway Motel at Indianapolis and also good naturedly welcomed Donohue and Penske into the "big-time," implying that the easy pickings the duo had been enjoying in the SCCA Trans-Am had ended. Much the same kind of greeting was extended when the pair showed up at Daytona for the 24-Hour race in 1969 - their first international endurance race with a sports prototype car. In both cases, at Indy and Daytona, the debut was a shocking success, adding further credence to the contention that the Penske-Donohue combination may comprise the best independent racing team in the history of the sport. Donohue ran as high as third in the 1969 Indy and was selected "Rookie of the Year." At Daytona, he, along with co-driver Chuck Parsons, drove a 5-liter Lola T-70 sports car to first overall. Their efforts in the recently concluded Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport only reinforced this contention. Donohue's masterful drive to third place at Mosport on a fog-bound rain-soaked track in his first Formula One race was proof enough.

photo by either Pete Biro or Mike Sesit
Posted Image
This is the only time I remember Mark wearing this particular helmet design. Mr. Penske with stop watch in hand.

#177 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:15

Mark Donohue in the 1971 McLaren M16 that has been modified for the 1972 USAC season opener at Phoenix. He would qualify 7th and lead 24 laps before losing a wheel and retiring. Team Penske would start using the M16B at Indianapolis.

Posted Image

#178 AlMark

AlMark

• 82 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 15:06

[quote name='B Squared' date='Mar 17 2010, 12:15' post='4226901']
Mark Donohue in the 1971 McLaren M16 that has been modified for the 1972 USAC season opener at Phoenix. He would qualify 7th and lead 24 laps before losing a wheel and retiring. Team Penske would start using the M16B at Indianapolis.

/quote]

I watched this race on TV. I was so glad Mark was showing his skill on a shorter track. The wheel came off right after a pit stop. I often wondered what Penske said to that tire changer.

#179 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 15:58

I watched this race on TV. I was so glad Mark was showing his skill on a shorter track. The wheel came off right after a pit stop. I often wondered what Penske said to that tire changer.

I spoke with Michael Argetsinger and he thinks that the moment of the pit stop error may be what is taking place in the photo. The right front was the wheel which came loose and is being changed by chief mechanic Karl Kainhofer. To paraphrase Mark, it was a very rare and forgivable error on Karl's part. Mark was sympathetic in that he knew that he (Mark) had been forgiven for mistakes on his part by the rest of the Team. One can sense that something may be amiss by the expression on Karl's face and the manner in which Mark is keenly watching the action on the right front. Again, a very rare mistake by the Penske team in the course of a pitstop - then or now.

Advertisement

#180 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 16:17

I've poached this information off of the Book Thread courtesy of RA Historian. Thanks Tom, hope you don't mind me posting your information here. Brian

OK, fellows, here is the scoop on the new Mark Donohue photo book. It will be available for sale at the usual outlets starting the weekend of the KIC (Kohler International Challenge). The following is direct from Michael Argetsinger:

The new book will be available from David Bull www.bullpublishing.com and other book sellers -- (including Paul Zimmerman's Motorsports Collector web site) beginning the weekend of the KIC.

Tom

#181 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:36

Jerry Entin posted this link in the Chuck Parsons thread. Quite a few photos of Mark Donohue are included. Thanks Jerry.

To see more of Ron Laymon's great photos go to his site:
http://www.ronlaymon.com

#182 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:14

In this uncredited photo, Mark Donohue shows the strain of racing in Phoenix,AZ (USAC IndyCar) and Ontario, CA (Questor GP F/A) over the course of the same weekend.

Posted Image

#183 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:38

A two page ad from American Motors in December, 1971 acknowledging the Team Penske/ Mark Donohue led Trans-Am championship.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#184 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 15:42

Popular NASCAR "guru", Jayski, has this tribute page to his all-time favorite driver, Mark Donohue. Many images and other links, including our friend, Paul Powell's, great site http://www.unfairadvantageracing.com/ with all of the latest news and developments regarding the "Mark Donohue Reunion 2010 at Road America". As always, thanks for your interest.

http://www.jayski.co...hue/donohue.htm

#185 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:15

From 2000, Mark remembered 25 years on:

http://www.catchfenc...g-mark-donohue/

#186 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:02

An uncredited rendering of Mark Donohue in the 1972 Indy 500. From a 1977 TRW calendar.

Posted Image

#187 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:04

My close friend and proud owner of a production Mark Donohue Javelin, Jeff Filz, has been consulting with Paul Powell and Rick Dresang in regards to having a display of production Donohue Javelins at the Mark Donohue Reunion at Road America in July. I'm providing a link to the AMC forum website in which the event is discussed.

Jeff was born and raised in Kenosha, WI, just down the road from where the cars were manufactured. He has attended many races over the years, especially at Road America, and has always been a fan of Mark Donohue. I met him in 1988 and at that time his parents were working timing and scoring with the CART IndyCar series. Another fine example of the wonderful relationships that are built through this great sport and hobby.

Things seem to be well in order for an outstanding, well-attended event for all involved. My July 15th departure date is eagerly awaited.

http://theamcforum.c...age1&EN=TS.html

#188 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 18:11

I have a sudden urge to look for restored Javelins . . .

That can't be healthy.  ;)

#189 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 18:08

I have a sudden urge to look for restored Javelins . . .

That can't be healthy.  ;)

Mark - My good friend, Dave Murray at Orlando Classic Cars, has this 6,000 mile original Javelin (not a Mark Donohue edition) that can save you that pesky restoration work and worry.  ;)

http://www.orlandocl...d9bfdefe5718ee5

#190 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:33

An ad for Sears Die Hard batteries leading into the 1972 Indianapolis 500. The first sentence below the battery states, "Roger Penske wants to win at Indy." He & Team have been rather successful in that endeavor. Nice to know a few things in this life do not change.

Posted Image

#191 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 16:02

Mark - My good friend, Dave Murray at Orlando Classic Cars, has this 6,000 mile original Javelin (not a Mark Donohue edition) that can save you that pesky restoration work and worry. ;)

http://www.orlandocl...d9bfdefe5718ee5

Interesting collection. Who knew that any vehicle from the 70's if properly kept could be a "classic?" (I'm looking at you 1975 Grand Ville convertible.) Lackluster Javelin but interesting Road Runner. Thanks for the link.

#192 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:32

Interesting collection. Who knew that any vehicle from the 70's if properly kept could be a "classic?"

It is commonly known that the Classic Car Club of America http://www.classiccarclub.org/ has a stringent set of guidelines for determining a true "classic". My family have been members since the mid-'50's and has owned or restored more CCCA recognized "classics" than I can remember. I've never given the company name a second thought. Please keep in mind that David's business name is set up to attract any and all who may be looking to purchase something that is not the commonplace. If you look at his sold cars gallery, you will see that many "classics" under the CCCA requirements have been sold by the company. Their true bread and butter though comes from David's amazing knack of finding the unusual; mainly low mileage collector cars of all types. He has been in business for well over a decade and has one of the soundest reputations that I've ever come across. From my personal experience over the years, I believe finding the car of ones dreams is more important than the over analyzation of a dealer's name, at least to David's extremely impressive customer base. Thanks for your interest. B²

Back to Mark Donohue. I went out to Mom & Dad's yesterday to help Dad with a bathroom remodeling project and he presents me with the following. An absolutely pristine 1972 Indianapolis 500 Victory Banquet program. A race won, believe it or not, by Mark Donohue. Thanks Dad, you never cease to amaze me with your sharing and kindness.

Posted Image

Edited by B Squared, 28 March 2010 - 12:44.

#193 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 15:22

It is commonly known that the Classic Car Club of America http://www.classiccarclub.org/ has a stringent set of guidelines for determining a true "classic". My family have been members since the mid-'50's and has owned or restored more CCCA recognized "classics" than I can remember. I've never given the company name a second thought. Please keep in mind that David's business name is set up to attract any and all who may be looking to purchase something that is not the commonplace. If you look at his sold cars gallery, you will see that many "classics" under the CCCA requirements have been sold by the company. Their true bread and butter though comes from David's amazing knack of finding the unusual; mainly low mileage collector cars of all types. He has been in business for well over a decade and has one of the soundest reputations that I've ever come across. From my personal experience over the years, I believe finding the car of ones dreams is more important than the over analyzation of a dealer's name, at least to David's extremely impressive customer base. Thanks for your interest. B²

I'm familiar with the guidelines. Mid-'70's full size cars, of whatever make, always set me off.

We need a better tongue-in-cheek emoticon!

#194 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 16:56

I'm familiar with the guidelines. Mid-'70's full size cars, of whatever make, always set me off.

We need a better tongue-in-cheek emoticon!

:up:

Mid-'70's full size cars, of whatever make, always set me off. In a good way or bad? :rotfl:

Some really hate the big boats - I happen to have a twisted affection for them. Nothing beats an awesome sports, road car, but I have to admit that I love taking a cruise in my Dad's like-new '72 Eldorado convertible from time to time. Sorry for any unintended misunderstanding. Brian

#195 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:28

My, how the gaming world has changed since this "table game" was introduced in 1973. "Mark Donahue" is one of the drivers to choose from. I can't believe how often his name is misspelled - then and now.

An acquaintance of mine now does iracing with three 52" flat screen HDTV's set up in front of him and swears it's as realistic as you can get. If room in the house and budget were available, I'm sure I'd have to have a system myself.

Posted Image

#196 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:46

I spoke with Paul Powell yesterday http://www.unfairadvantageracing.com/ and I'm pleased to announce that he has spoken to the owner of Mark Donohue's 1970 Penske/ Sunoco Lola Turbo Ford which placed second in the 1970 Indianapolis 500 and it will be among Mark's cars at the Kohler International Challenge with Brian Redman, July 15-18.

#197 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:51

The cover of the premier issue of the long defunct Auto Racing Digest, in which Mark Donohue was thought to have a great chance to repeat his victory at the Indianapolis 500 in 1973. The ill-fated race would prove to be his last run at the Speedway.

Posted Image

#198 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:22

The only time I shared a byline in an article with Mark Donohue and George Follmer. From Sunoco Diamond business magazine, a quarterly for Sunoco and DX dealers. Pretty heady stuff for a then 14 year old, at least I thought so.

The father of the runner-up in the race is Chuck Walbridge. He is holding his daughter, Susan as Kevin & I cross the finish line. Kevin and his brother, Gregg were always our greatest competitors locally and have remained close friends to this day. We won in 1972, 73, 76 & 77. They won in 1974 and 75. A lot of mutual respect. They are huge IndyCar fans too. Chuck has been a lap prize contributor to the Indianapolis 500 for many years and was an ownership partner on Dominic Dobson's car one year. He still owns the car. They are also into Rod and Custom's. All three of them have driven their respective machines over 200mph on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Posted Image

#199 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 13:18

Uncredited photo of the beautiful Penske/ Sunoco Lola Chevy that was entered for the 1969 Indy 500. They ran the turbo Offenhauser in the race.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#200 Spitfire

Spitfire

• 97 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 13:50

^ Yes, pretty car. Thanks for posting.

Until I looked up the history of that Lola T150 just now, I hadn't realized the "Colt" was simply a converted 2WD version.