Photo

Mark Donohue celebration at Road America July, 2010

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#251 lanciaman

lanciaman

• 554 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:00

No sponsor decals on the #11, especially Goodyear, suggests it was not a Goodyear-owned showcar. And no USAC or tech stickers, either, confirming showcar status?

Advertisement

#252 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 16:25

I had no idea, when was 4WD dropped on Indy cars ?

Unless I am mistaken, USAC, always looking forward, banned it after the 1969 season.
Tom

#253 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 19:37

Tom,

I think you're right on when they banned the 4wd system. I think Mario's big crash in his Lotus at Indy in '69 had a lot to do with it (it was a convenient excuse to ban another innovation).

I asked over on the Lola Heritage board if they can give any clue to whose car it is in the photo, but nothing yet. I doubt as well that it was the Penske car. They made only 3 T150's in '68, and I couldn't find out about how many T152 and T153's were made. The T150 and T152 look alike in the nose area. Since it was 3 years after the '69 Penske car was run at Indy, it may have just been a spare rolling chassis that Lola had allowed to go on the tour circuit. No one was going to buy a 3 year-old race car when things had changed so much in that time(Jim Hurtibise did buy the ex Al Unser 1968 T150 from George Eaton(who bought it from Parnelli Jones) and ran it in the 1973 Indy race though). Also read where the 4wd system was taken off the Penske car after Indy in '69, for use on the road courses.

#254 Tom Smith

Tom Smith

• 102 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:14

No sponsor decals on the #11, especially Goodyear, suggests it was not a Goodyear-owned showcar. And no USAC or tech stickers, either, confirming showcar status?

You would think if it was a Goodyear show car they might have at least kept some air in the front tires.

#255 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 14:05

You would think if it was a Goodyear show car they might have at least kept some air in the front tires.

I've experienced many IndyCar show cars over the last 45 years and it is hard to believe how badly treated many are. Valvoline always cared for their cars, but far too many were abused, at least by my standards. Lack of air in the tires is commonplace. Please keep in mind that I only speculated that it was Goodyear owned. Thanks for the input on trying to determine which car this may actually be.

Edited by B Squared, 20 May 2010 - 14:07.

#256 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 17:26

I suspect 'show cars' are kept and looked after far away from anything like an air compressor by and probably by folks who would how to use one even if they had one :-(

#257 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 20:51

Gerald Swan over at the Lola Heritage site responded with this info (nothing of the car in the photo, but some great info on cars Mark drove).

"I think the T150/152/153 story is:

The T150 was built with a Hewland four-wheel-drive system although there was an option to convert back to two-wheel-drive if needed, the engine was a turbocharged Ford. Two cars were initially built in 1968 and supplied to George Bignotti, Al Unser qualified 6th at Indy in the Retzloff Chemicals-sponsored car but crashed out, he won two races later in the season at Langhorne. A third car was built up at the end of the year and sold to US Racers Inc.

A modified version of the car called a T152 (still 4WD) was designed in 1969 and two cars were supplied to Roger Penske via Carl Haas. Penske's two cars were fitted with a turbo Offy and a stock-block Chevrolet. The Indy 500 saw Bobby Unser (Bardahl - Offy Turbocharged), Mark Donohue (Sunoco - Offy TC) and Bud Tingelstad (Vel's Parnelli Ford - Ford TC) race. Unser qualified and finished 3rd, Donohue qualified 4th and finished 7th, Tingelstad (substituting for an injured Al Unser) qualified 18th and finished 15th. The Unser brothers cars are listed in contemporary reports as T152s, although the Vel's Parnelli car was a modified version of the previous year's Retzloff T150, most notably it was now 2WD. Possibly Bobby Unser's car was a T150 updated to T152 spec. Later in the year Al Unser won in the Vel's Parnelli car at Milwaukee, Phoenix and Seattle.

The final incarnation of the T150 was the 1970 T153, one car was built and sold to Penske. USAC had now outlawed 4WD so the T153 was 2WD. Donohue in the Penske turbo Ford car qualified 5th at Indy and finished 2nd.

Interestingly the 1970 Indy 500 was won by Al Unser in the Johnny Lightning Colt. In 1970 the Vel's Parnelli T150 was further modified and generally known as the Lola-Colt and two other cars based on the Lola were built, these were simply known as Colts. The Lola-Colt was used by Unser on road-courses and short ovals and Unser won three races in it on his way to winning the 1970 USAC Championship, the Indy-winning car was one of the cars built that was based on the Lola T150.

As to what that car pictured is I have no idea as the T150/152 were externally almost identical and there is not enough detail to be able to get any clues.

There is one of the T152s undergoing restoration at the moment.

Gerald."

Edited by Cam2InfoNeeded, 20 May 2010 - 20:51.

#258 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 13:10

Thanks to Cam2 & Gerald Swan of Lola Heritage in their efforts for a proper I.D. of the Lola show car.

From Michael Argetsinger and David Bull, the title for the new book is: Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs.

They are appreciative of the interest and support shown on TNF. All involved are excited about the book launch in July at Road America. Hope to see you there.

#259 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 15:02

I had a very nice time in Indianapolis yesterday by beginning the morning with friends from CLASS (Chicago Loop Auto Sport Society) at another friend's local race car restoration shop. A lot of fine IndyCars being either restored in total, or being prepared for next weeks vintage events scheduled for the Speedway. Amongst them was Mark Donohue's 1970 Lola Turbo Ford that placed second for Roger Penske's team in that year's "500". The car will be at Road America in July for the Mark Donohue Reunion. Detail shots below of the partially disassembled car.

Thanks to all for joining in and your friendship. :up:

photos:B²

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by B Squared, 24 May 2010 - 20:35.

Advertisement

#260 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 19:49

Top pics of a lush restoration Brian, thanks for sharing :-)

The brakes look unbelievably small for a car that must be capable of around 200 mph, but I guess at Indy they are really only needed for pit stops :-)

#261 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 13:36

arttidesco - thanks & my pleasure, good to know the photos are being enjoyed. One of 12(!) vintage IndyCars in the shop that day.

Mark Donohue and Team survey the damage to the Penske/ Sunoco McLaren M16 after the 1971 Indianapolis 500. Mark had parked the car in this location after the gearbox broke on lap 66 while leading. He was unable to make pit lane and when Mike Mosley and Bobby Unser crashed on the leaders 164th lap, the Mclaren was extensively damaged. Karl Kainhofer ensured the car would be repaired. They won the Pocono 500 on July 3rd, the first win in IndyCar for Mark and Team Penske.

photo: Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Posted Image

#262 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 14:33

Pity the poor trainee who had to clean off all that fire foam and goo !

Something like this happened to a pal of mine here at Castle Combe he parked his Alfa 33 Road Saloon at the side of the track on lap 2 of a race with a fuel vapour lock and on lap 4 an Alfa Sud parked itself, going 60 mph, on exactly the same spot !

Apart from the engine gearbox and the drivers side wheels there was not much left to rebuild :-)

#263 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 13:19

Mark Donohue in a 1969 practice run at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Karl Kainhofer and Roger Penske not far away, as usual.

Goodyear Tire photo
Posted Image

#264 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 18:03

Mark Donohue at work in the Penske PC-1 Formula One car

Posted Image

#265 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 18:48

This vehicle was at last weekend's "Legends of Motorsports" gathering at Barber Motorsports Park, and evidently will be at Elkhart Lake in July. It seemed to be in remarkably good shape.

http://www.prismacar...aro History.htm

#266 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 13:20

Mark Donohue trails Dan Gurney and Mario Andretti in the early stages of the Rex Mays 300 at Riverside on December 7, 1969.

Posted Image

Michael Argetsinger writes in Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence At Speed:

Mark qualified on the front row with Dan's Olsonite Eagle on pole. At the start Mario Andretti passed Mark. Dan, Mario, and Mark were soon locked in a duel that pulled them clear of the rest of the field. On the 13th lap Mario pitted with a loose wheel. Mark now hounded Dan closely and passed him for the lead. Mark relinquished his lead on lap 48 when he pitted for fuel, but was back in front when it was Dan's turn to stop on lap 61. Mark seemed to have the race well in hand until lap 67, when he rolled into his pit to retire with a cracked cylinder head. Mark was terribly disappointed, and as he climbed from the Lola, immediately instructed the crew to load the car on the transporter. The Penske team was gone before the race was over.

It was a race Mark might have won. His performance was impressive, prompting Dan Gurney to suggest "[Donohue] may be the most underrated driver in the country." Mario battled back the entire race. His perseverance was rewarded when Dan's Eagle broke a halfshaft with just four laps to go, depriving him of a third consecutive win in the event. For Mario it was his ninth win on the Champ Car Trail in his championship year.

#267 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 13:52

May 27, 1972 - Mark Donohue in victory lane at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The first of many for Team Penske. Longtime acquaintance and the gentleman who presented the Borg-Warner Trophy for many years, Jack Mackenzie, in the lavender suit.

Posted Image

#268 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 19:11

Brian,

As you already know, Jack was my high school drivers' ed instructor (he failed me, too). He was great guy with all sorts of interesting stories to tell.

doug

Edited by Cam2InfoNeeded, 29 May 2010 - 19:11.

#269 MCS

MCS

• 3,572 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 20:33

This is a great thread guys and I have nothing other than that to contribute I am afraid, but keep it coming! :up:

#270 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:36

Mark Donohue returns to the Speedway on May 28, 1972 for the traditional winner's photos on track.

Posted Image

MCS - glad to read your kind comment. Thanks to all who have contributed.
Off to Indianapolis for my 43rd Indy 500 this morning. Hopefully a good, safe day for competitors and fans alike.

#271 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 14:41

Mark Donohue portrait late '60's, possibly 1970.

Posted Image

#272 Tom Smith

Tom Smith

• 102 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:55

[quote name='B Squared' date='May 29 2010, 22:36' post='4379003']
Mark Donohue returns to the Speedway on May 28, 1972 for the traditional winner's photos on track.

Posted Image

I remember Mark bought a Donzi power boat with his prize money the next day. He sent a friend of his from Rochester, NY to Florida to pick it up. He wanted somebody to put a Traco Chevrolet big block Cam Am engine in it and plumb the heat exchangers etc. with Aeroquip hose and fittings. I almost accepted the challenge but realized I had 0 boat experience to rely on. As it turned out the Can Am engine was the wrong choice for a marine application.
Speaking of Traco engines, all of Penske's Traco Offys barfed before the race so Mark ran a VPJ Offy in his Mclaren. Team Mclaren and VPJ both gripped about the eventual outcome of their decisions to sell Penske a car and loan him an engine.
Al finished 2nd.

Edited by Tom Smith, 01 June 2010 - 08:11.

#273 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:09

Fabulous insight Tom :-)

Wonder when the last time a major race was won with a borrowed engine ?

Not quite the same as McLaren agreeing at short notice to let Brawn GP use Mercedes engines in F1 last year but with similar consequences :-)

#274 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 740 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:59

Well, what goes around comes around...RP sold Patrick a contemporary Penske in 1989, and they used it to spank the works team.

#275 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 13:14

Nigel - Great to see you back on the forum. Thanks again for the kindness and warm greeting at the Speedway. Really sorry your race day did not go as planned. Raphael Matos looked really good while in third. Brian

The fourth boat listed in this link claims to be Mark Donohue's 1975 35' Cigarette for sale:

http://www.powerboat...l...escend&nh=3

Edited by B Squared, 02 June 2010 - 13:18.

#276 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:47

From the March, 2010 issue of Car & Driver:

http://www.caranddri...oo_much_-column

#277 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 14:40

A 1971 ad for Sunoco which features Mark Donohue in the TransAm championship winning Penske/ Sunoco Javelin.

Posted Image

#278 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:21

An AMC Javelin ad from November, 1970 with the Mark Donohue edition AMX in Big Bad Orange.

edit: I spoke with a friend this morning who owns an identical Donohue Javelin to the one pictured. Big Bad Orange was the AMC color name. B²

Posted Image

Edited by B Squared, 06 June 2010 - 15:19.

#279 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 14:21

Not that I'll be there (otherwise committed), but is there any chance of some of this material being displayed next month at Elkhart Lake? You may have the greatest collection of Donohue memorabilia outside of the family, Penske, and presumably Michael Argetsinger!

Advertisement

#280 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 15:16

Not that I'll be there (otherwise committed), but is there any chance of some of this material being displayed next month at Elkhart Lake? You may have the greatest collection of Donohue memorabilia outside of the family, Penske, and presumably Michael Argetsinger!

Mark - Sorry to hear that you'll be unable to attend. As far as displaying any of the images that I've posted here at the Reunion, thanks for the nice compliment. :up: I am confident that with all of the new material in Mark Donohue: His Life In Photographs, Mark's race cars, Team members, family and friends, etc. that there will be plenty to remember Mark and his career in the manner he is so deserving of.

The following ad is for the 1971 California 500 IndyCar race at Ontario Motor Speedway.

Posted Image

#281 Tom Smith

Tom Smith

• 102 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:17

An AMC Javelin ad from November, 1970 with the Mark Donohue edition AMX in Big Bad Orange.

edit: I spoke with a friend this morning who owns an identical Donohue Javelin to the one pictured. Big Bad Orange was the AMC color name. B²

Posted Image

Wasn't there a Mark Donohue autograph Matador model as well? Here's a Donohue snippet I remember from an SCCA race track in Washington. It was on a Thursday, registration opened at something like 3:00 in the afternoon. It was about 10 to 3 and I happened to be waiting in line with about 8 -10 other folks when Mark pulled up in a Mark Donohue, I think it was a Matador, parked it and walked over to the end of the line where I was. It was an F-5000 race and he was driving a Lola with an AMC engine. Anyway we were both quite proud of ourselves for being right on time when registration opened. Just then some SCCA official guy with about 50 official badges and SCCA patches shows up and asked "Who's car is that parked over there?" There was exactly one car in the whole parking area and it was Marks. We looked at each other, I let Mark worm his way in front of me in line, everybody in line pretended we had no idea whose car it was and didn't say a word, hoping the guy would go away. Of course it said Mark Donohue on the rear spoiler which was not in Mark's favor at that particular moment. Next thing this clown does is say he's going to have the car towed if somebody doesn't admit to him that it's their car so Mark put this big sheepish look on, meakly raised his hand and admitted it was his car but he was only intending to leave it there for a few minutes, just long enough to get his parking pass for it, and started walking over to move it. That's when this dufus realized he was busting Mark Donohue and backed off.

Edited by Tom Smith, 07 June 2010 - 02:30.

#282 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 13:51

Tom - Thanks for sharing the story in the previous post. I do not remember a Matador done as a Mark Donohue edition, but I'm no AMC expert by a long shot. I've asked a friend who may have a more definitive answer. My initial thought is it was possibly a one off for Mark. I did find the following:

"The 1974 model year introduced an aerodynamically styled fastback coupe with pronounced "tunneled" headlight surrounds. The Matador coupe was the only all-new model in the popular mid-size car segment. The coupe was designed under the direction of AMC's Vice President of Styling, Richard A. Teague, with input from Mark Donohue, the famous race car driver. AMC's Styling Department had greater freedom because of a decision to design the new Matador strictly as a coupe, without the constraints of attempting to have the sedan and station wagon versions fit the same body lines. [10] Reportedly Teague designed the coupe's front as an homage to one of the first AMCs he designed, the 1964 Rambler American. [9] Many were amazed that AMC came up with the fast, stylish Matador, considering the automaker's size and limited resources."

I sat at the same table with Mr. Teague at the 1972 or '73 Ferrari Club of America's national meet dinner at the Grosse Point Yacht Club. I believe he was a big Packard enthusiast and had numerous examples. A very nice gentleman.

The following shows Mark & Mr. Penske in 1972.

Posted Image

#283 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:41

From November, 1970. No way for me to know if Mark Donohue is actually in the Penske/ Sunoco/ Lola IndyCar when this ad was shot, but that's surely trusted chief mechanic Karl Kainhofer at the left rear.

Posted Image

#284 Tom Smith

Tom Smith

• 102 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:55

From November, 1970. No way for me to know if Mark Donohue is actually in the Penske/ Sunoco/ Lola IndyCar when this ad was shot, but that's surely trusted chief mechanic Karl Kainhofer at the left rear.

Posted Image

No way are they actually starting that car without a kablewey pipe over the turbo outlet, or else the guy manning the starter has never started a turbo Indy car before. It looks like it's pointing just about right in his face.
neutral- check
fuel on- check
engage starter
fuel pressure- check
oil pressure- check
mag switch on
kablewey and now everybody gets to be on fire for a while.

Edited by Tom Smith, 09 June 2010 - 04:27.

#285 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:46

Tom - I appreciate your feedback. In the shooting of a print ad, you wouldn't expect them to be firing the car up..., but you are certainly correct in your observation. As I've been going through volumes of Road & Track and Car & Driver, etc. looking for additional Mark Donohue material, I came across the name Tom Smith in an report (sorry I didn't mark exactly which issue) in which engines were being discussed. Is that you per chance?

Mark Donohue at Mid-Ohio in recovery mode from his CanAm Porsche accident at Road Atlanta in 1972.

Posted Image

#286 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:02

Mark Donohue hard at work (?) in the Penske/White/Sunoco Ferrari 512M. He looks as relaxed as myself on a Sunday drive.

Posted Image

#287 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 21:28

I wonder if compared to the brut force required to wheel some of the Can Am vehicles of the 60's the Ferrari 512 might have seemed rather tame and refined ?

#288 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:09

One week after his Indy 500 victory, Mark Donohue finished second at the Milwaukee Mile to Bobby Unser in Dan Gurney's Eagle. Teammate Gary Bettenhausen, also in photo, came home third.

photo: Milwaukee Mile
Posted Image

#289 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:54

Wow! That's a pretty radical mirror mounting Gary has on his car !

Thanks for sharing :-)

#290 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 16:04

Wow! That's a pretty radical mirror mounting Gary has on his car !

Thanks for sharing :-)

Glad to share and to know that you're enjoying this presentation on random aspects of Mark Donohue's career.

Gary's wing mounting was similar to that of another 5-6 cars in that year's Indy 500. My guess is these drivers preferred this method to see over the huge rear wings introduced that year.

I received the following photo from my long-time racing friend, Don Filz. He took the shot of Mark in the Penske/Sunoco/McLaren M16 Turbo-Offy in 1971. I think Karl Kainhofer has his back to the camera on the driver's right. Heinz Hofer (who unfortunately perished in a road accident while driving a Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer in 1977) driver's left. Thanks Don :up:

Posted Image

EDIT: I confirmed with Don Filz that he was in Pocono when this shot was taken.

Edited by B Squared, 13 June 2010 - 23:43.

#291 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 13:57

A 1971 Champion Spark Plug ad featuring a rendering of Mark Donohue in the McLaren M16 pictured in the prior post.

Posted Image

#292 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 13:14

Another undated portrait of Mark Donohue flashing his unforgettable smile.

photo: Professionals In Motion, Inc.
Posted Image

From page 6) of the May/June 2010 issue of Vintage Motosport:

Mark Donohue Reunion 2010

Elkhart Lake, WI - Unfair Advantage Racing and Road America announced the Mark Donohue Reunion 2010, to be held at Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, on July 15 - 18 in conjunction with the Kohler International Challenge with Brian Redman, Presented by Ford.

The Reunion will celebrate the cars and career of an American racing legend, with a paddock display of many of the most famous cars raced by Mark Donohue.

Many of Mark's teammates from Penske Racing will be attending, including Karl Kainhofer, Indy Hall-of-Fame crew chief; John "Woody" Woodard, crew chief on the Porsche 917-10 and 917-30; Ron Fournier, Trans-Am builder; Chuck Cantwell, team manager; Don Cox, Penske engineer; and Judy Stropus, Penske timer and scorer.

Another highlight will be a release of a new book "Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs," and its author Michael Argetsinger will be Master of Ceremonies at a Mark Donohue Tribute Breakfast on Sunday morning, July 18.

I'd like to add that Sunoco engineer, Jerry Kroninger will also be in attendance. What speaks volumes to me is that we all gathered just over a year ago to honor Mark with the release of Michael's Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence At Speed and the same teammates and friends are all making the journey to RA to do it again. Obviously Mark was and is a highly respected and loved individual that still commands this devotion after all these years. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

Edited by B Squared, 14 June 2010 - 13:15.

#293 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 15:48

Sounds like a not to be missed event shame I can only swim 1 mile at a time :-)

#294 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 13:42

Sounds like a not to be missed event shame I can only swim 1 mile at a time :-)

I'll do my best to photographically bring the event to these pages.

Mark Donohue immortalized on the Borg-Warner Trophy by winning the 1972 Indianapolis 500. One of the most recognized awards in all of sports. In the top photo, using the co-winner's double bust as a reference Mark's image is the fourth from the top. Mark's bust is in the center, middle of the lower photo. Directly below 1957 winner Sam Hanks. I know it is purely by luck, but it's neat that Mark is always seen when the trophy is displayed or presented, by being on the "front" of the trophy.

photos:B²
Posted Image
circa 2004
Posted Image
circa 1990

Edited by B Squared, 15 June 2010 - 14:18.

#295 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 13:51

Any idea how long they have to go before they run out of squares for the drivers faces Brian ?

#296 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 14:13

Any idea how long they have to go before they run out of squares for the drivers faces Brian ?

I can't recall the year they ran out of spaces on the original trophy. In the top photo, you see the lower base which was added. When that is filled , they'll add another base section. So the original trophy will become taller as time goes on versus a new trophy.

#297 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 14:13

I do not know the number of squares that are left, but you can see in Brian's first picture that the problem has come up before. One can see the original big trophy, then the extensions on the bottom where the base was expanded to allow for more squares.
Tom

Edit: Brian, you beat me to it by seconds!

Edited by RA Historian, 15 June 2010 - 14:14.

#298 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,279 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 15:04

An excerpt below fills in the gaps in regards to the Borg-Warner trophy.

"The last driver to have his likeness placed on the original trophy was Bobby Rahal in 1986, as all the squares had been filled. A new base was added in 1987 and it was filled to capacity following Gil de Ferran’s victory in 2003. For 2004, BorgWarner commissioned a new base that will not be filled to capacity until 2034."

A more complete history of the award:

http://www.indianapo...borg_warner.pdf

#299 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 15:34

Thanks for your answers Brian & RA :-)

Advertisement

#300 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 18:04

Apologies if you have see this pic of Mark in a Can Am McLaren before I notice it bears the Legend Japan Sun Oil on the side anybody know if Can Am went to Japan ? Or when ?

The other thing that has been ticking away Mark won the Indy 500 in 1972 with a McLaren any idea what prompted the Penske Indy Team to move to Eagles for the 1973 season ?