Photo

Mark Donohue celebration at Road America July, 2010

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#301 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 18:53

Apologies if you have see this pic of Mark in a Can Am McLaren before I notice it bears the Legend Japan Sun Oil on the side anybody know if Can Am went to Japan ? Or when ?

The other thing that has been ticking away Mark won the Indy 500 in 1972 with a McLaren any idea what prompted the Penske Indy Team to move to Eagles for the 1973 season ?

The color shot in Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence At Speed of Mark, Karl Kainhofer, the McLaren M6A and Mt. Fuji in the background was taken in late November, 1968. The series was called World Challenge Cup. Mark (from Technical Excellence)..."qualified on the pole and had a dramatic wheel-to-wheel battle with Peter Revson before encountering fuel problems that eventually caused his retirement."

Chapter 143: Racing the Eagle excerpt from Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence At Speed page 254 by Michael Argetsinger

Penske Racing had their two new McLaren M16Cs ready to test at Indianapolis in March. Karl Kainhofer and Haig Alltounian had spent the winter in England building the cars at the McLaren works in Colnbrook. After working with the car Mark became convinced that it would not be fast enough to beat the Eagles. He asked Roger to purchase an Eagle in kit form from Dan Gurney's All-American Racers. Karl Kainhofer went to California and brought all the pieces to Newton Square and spent April building it into a race car. Working in the shop with Karl on the single-seat race cars were Walter Gass and Nick Olilla. This would be the first time the team had run three cars at the Speedway. In the meantime, Bobby Allison joined the team to race the second McLaren alongside Gary Bettenhausen. Allison had tested for Roger the previous fall at Ontario with impressive results the first time he had ever sat in an Indy car. At the Speedway Roger worked with Allison and Don Cox worked with Bettenhausen on setups and race engineering. Mark was his own engineer and Karl Kainhofer was the chief mechanic on his car.

"Roger took a lot of static from the press for deserting McLaren and buying the Eagle, but he did it because he understood what it meant to me," Mark told Road & Track's Mike Knepper. The Penske Sunoco-DX Eagle arrived at Indy without any previous testing. "We got the car just in time to get to the Speedway the first of May. I started having trouble right away: first oversteer, then understeer, everything. Gurney took me aside once and said he would help me all he could, but there was no way I could hope to make the car work in such a short time and against teams that had had Eagles for several weeks. He was right."

Looking back on this period of disillusionment and uncertainty, Mark was able to identify almost to the moment when he first thought seriously about giving up driving. "At the point I was most lost - which was half way through the development of the Eagle - I was sitting in the car thinking, 'What do I do next?' " he later remembered. "The crew was waiting for me to say 'Do this' or 'Do that' - and I really had no idea what to do next and I didn't have the energy or enthusiasm to figure it out - because it's the same old problem over and over again. The people change and the cars change, but the problem is always the same. I said to myself, 'I've had enough of this now. I'm starting to hate this. I should really stop. I can stop now.' "

Advertisement

#302 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 20:32

Wow! Thanks for the insight Brian, I had no idea Mark wanted out of the whole game so bad, can't imagine how The Captain got him to agree to a Formula 1 schedule after that ?

Didn't Mark break his leg later in the year driving the RC Cola Can Am 917/10 ?

What on earth made him get into the 917/30 and then the F1 programme ?

#303 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 22:00

"Didn't Mark break his leg later in the year driving the RC Cola Can Am 917/10 ?"

"What on earth made him get into the 917/30 and then the F1 programme ?"

Mark did break his leg in testing for the Road Altanta Can Am race. He was driving the L&M/Sunoco sponsored car, as the RC sponsorship didn't arrive until 1973, when Charlie Kemp got the 2 ex-Penske 917/10's from 1972.

Mark had been the key behind the 917/10 in 1972, and felt heart-broken to see George Follmer take over the car after his Road Atlanta crash and win the series. Mark should have finished 2nd in the series, but George was running 2nd behind Mark at the last race at Riverside, darting all around the tail of Mark's car, which Mark interpreted possibly having either a tire problem or rear suspension problem. Having recently gone through a terrible crash, Mark took the cautious alternative and pulled the car into the pits to have it looked at. Nothing was wrong with the car (it was determined later to have been cause by the turbulence of George's car), and Mark was able to go back out and finish 3rd, but that wasn't enough points to get him 2nd place in the championship. Roger was really ticked it George, and vowed to never have him race for him again (according to a Los Angeles Times newspaper account).

Mark want to create the ultimate 917, so he went back excitedly to continue his work on the next season's car, the 917/30. He had no team mates, and Porsche didn't offer any other teams a 917/30. It was one of Mark's proudest moments to win not only the 1973 Can Am series, but also to toy with his competition at Riverside. They had added an adjustable rear sway bar on his car (917/30-003), which allowed Mark to power-slide the car at will, and simply blow away his rivals.

Despite what most people might have thought (they would say Mark had an "unfair advantage" due to his cars), Mark's driving talents were one of his best profit-making skills (he had always felt insecure though about his driving, and felt Roger could come in at anytime and offer his seat to someone else who was faster). Unlike Roger who had sent up tons of profit-making ventures, Mark was only doing OK (Roger was more than fair with Mark on his salary and winnings, and surely gave him some special compensation, but not enough to really let Mark fell comfortable about his future). Mark was bored and somewhat uncomfortable with being outside of the cockpit, and wanted to be able to use his driving gift to generate an income so he could keep working on his retirement. When Mark was killed a year later in 1975, he had documents in his briefcase which were to have set him up with at least one BMW dealership, which could have been his start to building his own financial security.

Edited by Cam2InfoNeeded, 15 June 2010 - 22:11.

#304 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 22:20

Thanks C2IN :-) Shame Mark was getting all figured out when fate intervened :-(

#305 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 13:51

art - thanks for your interest
Cam2 - I appreciate the assist

Mark Donohue in the Penske/Sunoco-DX/Eagle Turbo-Offy from 1973 that we were discussing above. In spite of all of the problems, Mark qualified on the front row for the 1973 Indy 500. He ran in 2nd or 3rd for the majority of the first 50 laps. A burnt piston ended his day on lap 92.

The car will be part of the group of Mark's race cars at Elkhart Lake for the Reunion over the July 15-18 weekend.

photo:Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Posted Image

#306 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 23:25

Amazing how much tidier the turbo installation is compared to just a couple of years earlier :-)

I saw a '72 Eagle which looks quite similar race here at The Daily Express 200 driven by Joe Saldana in the UK in 1978 :-)

#307 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 23:50

Amazing how much tidier the turbo installation is compared to just a couple of years earlier :-)

Not to mention that it is a Penske entry, and The Captain always seems to have things a touch tidier than the rest!
Tom

#308 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 00:33

Not to mention that it is a Penske entry, and The Captain always seems to have things a touch tidier than the rest!
Tom

I remember thinking that when I got a look under the bonnet of the '05 #2 Blue Deuce Miller Light Penske Dodge at Goodwood last year :-)

#309 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 13:47

Tom - I know you are well aware of Mark's influences on the way that Team Penske goes about its work to this day, for any others who may not be.

The Foreward by Roger Penske in Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence At Speed by Michael Argetsinger - page 9:

Mark Donohue was the catalyst for all that we have achieved at Penske Racing. When I look at the 300-plus victories and what we've been able to accomplish, I remember that it was Mark who set the standard.

The first time I remember being aware of Mark was a day in 1960 at Lime Rock, in Connecticut, when Jay Signore told me I should watch this guy run in his Courier. Mark made an immediate impression and I started to follow his career closely. Walt Hansgen, who was a great friend and a driver I admired enormously, had taken an interest in Mark and was a strong advocate for him. When Walt died, it happened to be a time when I was putting a team together to run a Group 7 Lola in the USRRC and Can-Am. At Walt's funeral I talked to Mark and invited him to come see me at my Chevrolet dealership in Philadelphia, to discuss my plans. We clicked immediately; without him, it would have been very difficult to get my racing program off the ground.

Mark was my partner and best friend through that time. I was trying to work and keep my business going and we kind of grew together. I would be at the shop when I could, but he'd be there all the time. I remember when he lived above the offices at the Newton Square race shop. He would work day and night to be certain the car was completely prepared for a race. He was so committed.

Mark and I had a similar vision of what we wanted the team to be, and Penske Racing never strayed from that original mission. "Let's hire the best people and treat them like we're all one organization" -- that was the core of our mutual view. Mark saw himself as being as low on the totem pole as the guy who drove the truck; that was the way he wanted it to be, a very flat organization. There was nothing too large or too small for Mark to undertake. He personified the attitude of "whatever it takes" when approaching a goal. He was personally involved with and cared about each individual on the team. If you needed anything he would come to your home and help you. We would all sit together and talk, and ask, "What can we do to be better?"

As an engineer he brought technical expertise to the team, and he had tremendous versatility in developing cars -- from a sophisticated Formula or Can-Am car to a Trans-Am sedan. And with his intensity and willingness to commit, he could drive them as fast as anyone.

It was Mark who cultivated that egalitarian attitude and team spirit. There have never been any big shots at Penske Racing. "I'll drive the truck"-- "I'll do whatever is needed" -- we are all that way. Everyone here has that kind of commitment to the organization. We don't have a lot of turnover; we still have many long-term employees who have been here 10, 20, 30 years. Mark set the tone for that. He was entirely dedicated, and others responded in kind.

Mark was understated when he won -- he would have preferred not to go to winner's circle if he didn't have to. His attitude was, "We were competitive today: we won the race." But I think he was already getting ready for his next race on the cool-off lap.

I believe Mark was the prototype for the new breed of what I call the American race driver of today. The best driver isn't the one who can lift the most in the weight room -- although Mark understood the importance of physical fitness and pursued it with characteristic discipline -- it's the one who understands what is needed technically. There is no question in my mind that he was underrated as a driver, but then you only need to look at his record to see that. It was tremendous.

I couldn't be happier that this book has been written to celebrate my friend and colleague's life. For those who remember Mark, this book will revive fond memories of his performances and his sense of humor, while offering a great deal of insight into the driver they thought they knew. For a new generation of race fans, this book presents the opportunity to be introduced to a remarkable man.

Roger Penske
November, 2008

#310 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 14:15

More Cigarette http://www.cigaretteracing.com/ boating activity with Mark Donohue. Bob Brown of Car & Driver published this editorial in March, 1973:

Ever feel as if you couldn't pass another minute without a Cigarette? I have...in fact I do right now. And it is the clean cut all-American Indy winner Mark Donohue who is to blame. Now I wouldn't want to come right out and say that Donohue is a Cigarette pusher, let's just say that he's hooked on the things and like any junkie he's always looking for company.

All of this would not be so morally devastating were it not for the type of Cigarette he's pushing. You see these things don't come 20 to a pack for $.60; instead they are more like $20,000 a crack and the only supplier in the world is a guy named Don Aronow who lives in Fort Lauderdale.

It began with a simple phone call one afternoon. Donohue was still recovering from his crash at Road Altlanta. He was down on the New Jersey Shore spending some time with old friends. Brock Yates had stopped off to see Mark and it was actually Yates who was the catalyst for the whole dismal mess in which I now find myself. It was Brock on the phone suggesting that he and Mark come up to New York just for the hell of it. "Fine," I said. "It's about 2:00 now. That means you guys might even be able to make it up here in time for dinner if traffic isn't too bad."

"Dinner, hell. Meet us down at the 23rd Street Boat Basin at 3:15. We're coming up by boat and we're leaving right now," Yates shot back.

"By boat? What boat, the Disco Vollante? Even in a straight line, you've got to be 50-60 miles south of here. Get serious, Yates, I'll meet you around 5:00."

"Brown, be there. We're not fooling around," Yates boomed back and sotto voce I could hear Mark saying, "Tell him between 3:00 and 3:30. I'm not sure how high the ocean is running."

I was there.

So were Donohue and Yates..... and Mark's black and white Cigarette.

Up close the Cigarette was even more incredible than I had expected. And bigger. Mark's Cigarette is a production version of the Aronow racing hulls that have an impressive dual reputation (1) for winning every offshore race in sight; (2) for shaking the driver and navigator and mechanic near apart while doing so. From that you would expect the production version to be much the same, perhaps with a little vinyl panelling stapled on to soften the agony. Not so. Donohue's boat was gorgeous, all fiberglass, with two bunks tucked well under the long foredeck, a head and, everywhere you looked, signs of meticulous craftsmanship in assembly. But then this was Donohue's own boat and that very obvious care and attention to detail was apropos.

Everything, in fact, looked so luxurious that I began to wonder if the boat wasn't an ocean-going counterpart to a custom car. Mark, seated behind the wheel on a bar stool type chair, must have seen the skeptcism on my face, because after I did a quick once over of the accommodations he said, "Now take a look under the engine cover." Yates, knowing what to expect, had already loosened the hatch and on cue swung it back to reveal a pair of Chevy ZL-1's.

All I could do is croak, "I'm beginning to see how you guys made it up here so quickly...I also understand what my father has been mumbling about lately." It had come to me all of a sudden. My parents live across a half-mile river from where Mark was staying and the Old Man had been grousing about the fact that every night around dusk, some boat would barrel out towards the inlet to the ocean shaking windows and generally sounding like the opening lap of a Trans-Am race.

Guess who, Dad.

After about a half hour of looking over the Cigarette and general conversation about boats and racing (Mark, despite his automobile schedule, had been scheduled to run in the Hennessey Grand Prix for offshore racers but his accident stopped that diversion), Pat Bedard, who was also recovering from a leg operation, came rattling down the dock on his aluminum crutches and Mark decided to show the two of us what this boat of his was all about.

The details of the the trip out past LaGuardia Airport are lost in a series of impressions that allow little room for continuity. The plowing feeling of the engines struggling to get the 5,600 lb. boat up on the plane...picking out cars on the FDR Drive only to see them disappear behind us...coming up on some motor yacht at half throttle and watching the guy's face drop as Mark hit both throttle controls and the Cigarette's engines instantly shot up to 5,200 rpm. ("I'll reckon with this many people on board that's about 60-70 mph.")...seeing Yates frantically pointing out a piece of driftwood to Mark and watching Donohue spin the wheel over to full lock and holding on for a keeling that never came as the boat simply drove around the debris without listing...coming through a seven foot rip beneath the Hellsgate Bridge airborne...having my arm nearly yanked out its socket, holding onto a grab rail...staying completely dry even though I was sitting way in the back on the engine cover...watching Mark resting his cast on his good foot in some sort of gesture towards cushioning it from its jolting. And the most vivid impression of all, the four of us laughing and exhilarating over the simple fact that we were able to ride in a machine that was free to perform to its utmost anytime the driver wished to give the command.

When we pulled back to the marina for dinner I did what every addict does. I tried to rationalize my addicton. And Mark was certainly no help.

"Mark, I live out on Hempstead Harbor. How long would you figure it would take to get out there? You know, if I were to commute by boat, for instance."

"Oh, I'd say about 20 minutes to half an hour at the outside."

I thought of the hour each way it takes to drive between the same two points...or even the hour and a half train ride. And even when Mark laid on the price of the boat and the fact that it comes equipped with a 200 gallon gas tank, that hardly diminished my lust. Even now, after a complete review of my checkbook should have cured me, I still can't think too long on the subject.

Thanks Donohue. I think I'll go over to Flying and see if I can get a ride in a "production" F-111.

I have a friend in Wisconsin who owns and similarly drives his beautiful 42 foot Cigarette. To stand in the bolster seat next to an experienced captain, I think, is one of the most exhilarating motoring experiences one can have. I highly recommend it to all other speed junkies who are fortunate enough to partake. B²

Edited by B Squared, 18 June 2010 - 14:19.

#311 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:53

Not your typical racing post on Mark Donohue today. The following is from April, 2010. British musician Mark Knopfler used Mark Donohue as inspiration in writing the 7th track, "The Car was The One", from his latest effort, "Get Lucky". Comment from Mark's sons, David and Michael.

http://blog.nj.com/n...10/04/post.html

#312 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:58

From Sports Illustrated, May 31, 1971. The Slide-rule Boys at Indy by Robert F. Jones:

http://sportsillustr...924/1/index.htm

#313 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:57

Mark Donohue debuts in Formula 1 at the 1971 Canadian GP in the Penske/Sunoco McLaren. He would finish on the podium in 3rd place.

Posted Image

#314 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 14:54

Mark Donohue waits out the rain for a restart at the 1973 Indianapolis with teammate Bobby Allison and McLaren's Johnny Rutherford. It looks like Mark has borrowed a jacket from a fellow team member. The embroidered name on his right chest area appears to be "Stew".

Posted Image

#315 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 15:17

Mark Donohue debuts in Formula 1 at the 1971 Canadian GP in the Penske/Sunoco McLaren. He would finish on the podium in 3rd place.

Posted Image

Today a debut like that would win Mark an instant seat at Ferrari :-)

#316 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:42

Today a debut like that would win Mark an instant seat at Ferrari :-)

Wouldn't have happened unless Roger was part of the deal too! But you are correct in the brilliance of his first F1 outing.

Mark Donohue accepting his biggest prize in racing for winning the 1972 Indianapolis 500. Chief Steward, Harlan Fengler is seated at left. Radio "Voice of the 500", Sid Collins and IMS owner, Tony Hulman complete the photo.

photo: Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Posted Image

And while on the subjct of winning awards, congratulations to Michael Argetsinger for his achievements in the 2009 International Automotive Media Competition (IAMC). Michael’s book, Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence At Speed, received a gold medal as best biography and was also cited as the year’s Best Book. Then, at the end of the ceremony, it was announced that it had won over all other entries from the automotive media—including books, magazines, newspapers, Internet, radio, and television—to be named “Best of 2009.” The awards were held on Monday, June 21, 2010 at the Automotive Hall of Fame in Dearborn, Michigan.

Be sure to see more of Michael's fabulous work with the release of Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs at the Mark Donohue Reunion in less than four weeks at Elkhart Lake.

#317 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:48

Another one of those, "I haven't seen that car for over twenty years" moments. March, 1994 was my first run in with the Mark Donohue Lola T153 Turbo Ford that he finished second at Indianapolis with in 1970. I hadn't seen the car since it was towed away from in front of us at the 1971 Indy 500 after David Hobbs had tangled with Rick Muther on the 85th lap. Yes, it is tied up to a wall in a warehouse.

Now restored and seen earlier in this thread. The car is to be at Road America over the July 15-18 weekend as part of the display at the Mark Donohue Reunion.

photo:B²
Posted Image

#318 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:01

Another one of those, "I haven't seen that car for over twenty years" moments. March, 1994 was my first run in with the Mark Donohue Lola T153 Turbo Ford that he finished second at Indianapolis with in 1970. I hadn't seen the car since it was towed away from in front of us at the 1971 Indy 500 after David Hobbs had tangled with Rick Muther on the 85th lap. Yes, it is tied up to a wall in a warehouse.

Now restored and seen earlier in this thread. The car is to be at Road America over the July 15-18 weekend as part of the display at the Mark Donohue Reunion.

photo:B²
Posted Image

Cool, always wondered to race cars when they disappeared for twenty years :-)

What is the white #56 looks like it has an interesting aerodynamic package ?

#319 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:15

What is the white #56 looks like it has an interesting aerodynamic package ?

At the time, I was told that the #56 started life as the 4 WD Lola Turbo-Ford that Al Unser crashed on the 40th lap of the 1968 Indy 500. The path that led it to the form you see in the photo is unknown to me.

edit: typo

Edited by B Squared, 24 June 2010 - 09:24.

Advertisement

#320 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:55

Mark Donohue exits the pits on his way to victory in the 1972 Indianapolis 500. Roger Penske watches the action.

photo:IMS
Posted Image

Edited by B Squared, 25 June 2010 - 11:55.

#321 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 23:54

I think that #56 was a ex-Jim Hurtubise car. It's angular nose was similar to what he tried on his last front engined Mallard (not a Hurtubise expert, but seems to ring a bell).

Edited by Cam2InfoNeeded, 25 June 2010 - 23:55.

#322 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 13:44

I think that #56 was a ex-Jim Hurtubise car. It's angular nose was similar to what he tried on his last front engined Mallard (not a Hurtubise expert, but seems to ring a bell).

I know I thought the same when I first saw the car. The problem in my mind was, other than 1972 when Hurtibise ran the rear-engined Coyote-Foyt, when would he have driven a 4 wheel-drive Lola? I still don't know if he ever did, other than possibly practice. The 4WD system was banned after the 1969 season, if I recall correctly. I couldn't get close enough to the car in the photo to look at detail, but my guess is that the 4WD would have no longer been in the car. Hurtibise entered his beloved Mallard at Indy in 1972 as car #26. Car #'s 29 & 56 were both Coyote-Foyt's, with Hurtibise listed as driver through M.V.S., Inc.. In 1973, Jim Hurtibise was entered at the Speedway, through Dick Hammond with cars #'s 55 & 56. Car #55 was the Mallard, car #56 is listed as a Lola in the entry list in The Fabulous 500 Race History 1973 Supplement by C. Lee Norquest. My best guess is that this is the Lola I saw in the warehouse next to Mark's Lola T-153. I still don't remember Jim driving the car. Thanks for your interest and comment.

#323 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 14:09

I want to thank arttidesco for finding this short home movie of Mark Donohue's 1972 Indianapolis 500 win. It really captures the feel of the race in those days, at least it did for me. I was watching the race from the grandstands across from the person shooting the footage. I remember that day oh so well.

#324 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 20:54

Nigel Beresford was kind enough to post this link on the Peter Revson 1972 McLaren thread. A lot of great shots of Mark Donohue in the 2 page set. I also think there is a shot of Hurtibise in the car that we speculate about in post #322. It can be found a little more than 1/2 way down on page 1 in the left column. Proof Jim did drive the car.

http://www.yesterday...00/index.htm#50

#325 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 13:04

Mark Donohue confers with Penske/Sunoco/McLaren teammate Gary Bettenhausen during the month of May, 1972. It looks like Mark is in street clothes. Possbly a break during one of his numerous engine failures of the month. These two men would definitely see a reversal of fortune on race day.

Posted Image

#326 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:25

I want to thank arttidesco for finding this short home movie of Mark Donohue's 1972 Indianapolis 500 win. It really captures the feel of the race in those days, at least it did for me. I was watching the race from the grandstands across from the person shooting the footage. I remember that day oh so well.

Da nada, if you hadn't I would have :up:

#327 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:09

Mark Donohue goes by 4th place finisher Sam Sessions on his way to victory in the 1972 Indianapolis 500.

Posted Image

#328 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:40

Mark Donohue on his victory lap after his day came right in the 1972 Indianapolis 500.

photo:Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Posted Image

#329 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,775 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:21

First time I have noticed the L&M stickers on Marks M16 :-)

#330 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:22

Mark Donohue, Al Unser and Joe Leonard each won a 500 miler in 1971 and were featured in this ad for Raybestos.

Posted Image

gbl linked another great photo set from the 1972 Indianapolis 500 in the USAC, CART & Champ Car thread. Definitely worth a look. Thanks gbl :up:

http://firstturn.net...polis/index.htm

#331 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 14:39

In spite of all the problems that Mark Donohue experienced at Indianapolis in 1973, he and teammate Gary Bettenhausen help rookie Al Loquasto with the set up on his ex-Penske McLaren M16B. I still have an old Lufkin tape measure in the garage that is just like the one Mark has in hand.

photo: Jim Chini
Posted Image

#332 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:47

Mark Donohue in victory lane at the 1971 Pocono 500. The first Indy Car win for Mark and the one that started the incredible run by Team Penske in the open wheel win column.

I think President Kennedy had an aversion to being photographed in a cowboy hat. Not the best look for most of us, Mark & I included. Most likely series sponsor Marlboro's request.

Posted Image

#333 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 15:30

As stated so eloquently by VWV in the book thread:

Michael Argetsinger's new book Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs will be available in a few weeks, making its debut at Road America's KIC Historic Races July 15-17 where Michael will be signing copies of the book. This is a photographic companion to he earlier book mentioned above in previous post.

Posted Image
Book details
Mark Donohue: His Life In Photographs

Author:
Michael Argetsinger

Format: Hardcover,
9" x 11", 160 pages, 126 black-and-white and 118 color photographs

ISBN-13: 978 1 935007 09 8

Price: $39.95

Book details
The Publisher's Edition of Mark Donohue: His Life In Photographs

Author:
Michael Argetsinger

Format: Hardcover,
9" x 11", 176 pages, 137 black-and-white and 133 color photographs

ISBN-13: 978 1 935007 09 8

Price: $99.95

Signed by seven of Mark's closest Penske Racing associates.

I'm writing to let you know about an exciting new book from Michael Argetsinger, whose biography Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence at Speed was recently named Best Book and "Best of 2009" at the International Automotive Media Awards.

Technical Excellence is the definitive Donohue biography, but that book's sheer scale (nearly 350 pages and 250,000 words) and my desire to hold the retail price to $39.95 meant there was only room for forty of the thousands of photographs that Michael discovered during his years of research.

Because those images were so fantastic Michael and I resolved to publish a photo book if the biography was a success. The result is Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs, which we will launch July 16 at the Donohue Reunion during the Kohler Invitational Challenge at Road America. It features hundreds of images of Mark and the dazzling array of cars he drove, from his earliest home-built efforts to the championship Camaros, Javelins, and Porsches, as well as scores of behind-the-scenes images taken by Mark's friends, family, fans, and teammates. The vast majority of these photographs have never before been seen by the public.

Each photo is accompanied by Michael's detailed, insightful captions. And Mark's contemporaries--including his Penske teammates and fellow drivers Dan Gurney, George Follmer, David Hobbs, John Surtees, and Bobby Unser--also offer their recollections and commentary.

As with the previous book, I've done my best to deliver the highest value possible. Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs offers nearly 250 color and black-and-white images in a handsome hardcover format with excellent printing and design. Like Technical Excellence, it sells for just $39.95--a great price for such a beautifully produced book.

The Publisher's Edition of Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs adds 16 pages of photographs and captions, and is signed by Michael and seven of Mark's closest Penske Racing associates: team managager Chuck Cantwell, engineer Don Cox, fabricator Ron Fournier, crew chief Karl Kainhofer, Sunoco engineer Jerry Kroninger, timekeeper Judy Stropus, and mechanic John Woodard. Limited to just 300 copies, I think Mark's teammates give this numbered edition meaningful historical value. $99.99

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Please call 602-852-9500 or visit our web site http://www.bullpublishing.com/ for more information. As always, I unconditionally guarantee your satisfaction.

David Bull

Edited by B Squared, 02 July 2010 - 15:37.

#334 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:46

The front row consisting of Mark Donohue, Bobby Unser and pole sitter Johnny Rutherford in beautiful formation as they come to the green flag for the 1973 Indianapolis 500. Unsure of which start it may be during the rain and accident plagued race.

photo: Tom Dick
Posted Image

#335 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 15:23

I was in Muskegon, MI over the weekend helping my friend with his Mark Donohue Javelin project as he untiringly attempts to complete it in time for the Mark Donohue Reunion over the July 17th weekend. I got the interior ready as Jeff continues with the mechanicals. It's going to be tight with the deadline, but well worth the effort.

photos:B²
Posted Image

Posted Image

#336 sblick

sblick

• 492 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:37

I have been trying to follow every post, but has someone posted all the Donahue cars that will be there. Can we start a list?

Can't wait to get there myself. My friend is towing out four cars (non-Donahue), McKee Can-Am, 2 Formula Fords, and a Lotus sports racer I think. Don't know what Lotus since I have never seen it or worked on it. The McKee has been there a few times as have the Fords.

#337 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:50

This is from Paul Powell's Unfair Advantage Racing website. I do not know the last time that this has been updated, but here is a start for the list.

Unfair Advantage Racing and Road America,announce the Mark Donohue Reunion 2010, to be held at Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, on July 15-18 in conjunction with the Kohler International Challenge with Brian Redman, Presented by Ford . The Reunion will celebrate the cars and career of an American racing legend, witha paddock display of many of the most famous cars raced by Mark Donohue.Confirmed cars include: the 1972 Indy-winning McLaren-Offy; the ’73 Eagle-Offy Indy car; the 1972 Can-Am dominating L&M Porsche 917-10; the 1973 Can-Am champion Sunoco Porsche 917-30; all of the Donohue-driven, Penske Racing, Camaros and Javelins from the Trans-Am in the 1960s and early 1970s; the Ferrari 275 LM that Donohue co-drove with Walter Hansgen in the 1965 Sebring 12 hour; the Sunoco LolaT70 coupe that won the 1969 Daytona 24 Hour race driven by Donohue and Chuck Parsons; and the Lola T70 Spyder which brought Donohue the 1967 United States Road Racing Championship; the First National City Traveler Checks Penske PC-1 which was Donohue's last F1 car. Many of Mark's teammates from Penske Racing will be attending,including Karl Kainhofer, Indy Hall-of-Fame crew chief; John “Woody” Woodard, crew chief on the Porsche 917-10 and 917-30; Ron Fournier, Trans -Am builder; Chuck Cantwell, team manager and Judy Stropus, Penske timer and scorer. Another highlight will be a release of a new book from David Bull Publishing, “Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs,” by Michael Argetsinger.

We have great news that George Follmer will be at the reunion. Mark and George were good friends and it is a great addition to the event.

The Mark Donohue Tribute breakfast at Road America 2010 will be held in the RA Center at the track on July 18, 2010 at 7:15am. This should be an exciting event and we expect it to be sold out very quickly.

Michael Argetsinger the author of "Mark Donohue, His Life in Photographs" will be there to introduce his new book along with publisher David Bull. Enjoy Breakfast and great discussion led by a panel of Mark Donohue contemporaries and experts on his amazing career. We are working on a special guest who was probably Marks greatest competitor throughout his entire career. The price for this breakfast is $15.00 per person. You need to call 1-800-365-RACE to reserve your tickets

#338 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:53

Mark Donohue and Jerry Grant have a close encounter on pit road during a sequence in the 1972 Indianapolis 500. Jerry would be second on the road at the finish to Mark. He was later docked his final 12 laps for refueling from teammate Bobby Unser's rig. He dropped to 12th.

Penske driver Rick Mears had a similar close call on pit road in 1982 with 9th place finisher Herm Johnson. If I remember correctly, this incident was also just north of the scoring tower. Rick finished second to Gordon Johncock that day, in what was at that time the closest finish in "500" history (0.16 seconds).

Posted Image

#339 sblick

sblick

• 492 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:11

Thanks B-Squared for the list. I am even more excited to get there. Our first practice group is Thursday at 8:30. Hopefully I will get out on the track and take pictures. Last year I spent to much time working on cars and not enough working on taking pictures.

Advertisement

#340 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 13:56

sblick - RA Historian & VWV mentioned getting together at the Sunday AM breakfast in an earlier thread. Let's all try to find time to meet up. Is this still the best option for those interested?

#341 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 14:03

sblick - RA Historian & VWV mentioned getting together at the Sunday AM breakfast in an earlier thread. Let's all try to find time to meet up. Is this still the best option for those interested?

There will be a number of TNF members at the KIC. Brian Brown, Paul Medici, Paul Powell, Jerry Entin, and others too numerous to list here. The Sunday 7:15 AM (gasp!) breakfast is a good option. Lacking that, might I suggest either Friday at 12:30 at Michael Argetsinger's book signing in the Donohue tent, or Saturday at 10:30, same place?
Tom

#342 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 15:05

There will be a number of TNF members at the KIC. Brian Brown, Paul Medici, Paul Powell, Jerry Entin, and others too numerous to list here. The Sunday 7:15 AM (gasp!) breakfast is a good option. Lacking that, might I suggest either Friday at 12:30 at Michael Argetsinger's book signing in the Donohue tent, or Saturday at 10:30, same place?
Tom

Tom - Given the early hour on Sunday; the Friday, Saturday option seems good to me. Plus it gives some flexibilty to meeting friends, old and new, both days.

#343 sblick

sblick

• 492 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 16:26

I am stuck on when we need to get cars prepared and when to get them to grid. We are running in 3 different classes so it will be challenging to do much. If I can make it I will try.

#344 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 16:56

Tom - Given the early hour on Sunday; the Friday, Saturday option seems good to me. Plus it gives some flexibilty to meeting friends, old and new, both days.

Sounds good Brian, let's go with it. Keeping it informal, we will have gatherings both days, since there is so much going on that weekend. To have it just once may mean that some will miss it due to their being engrossed in something somewhere else.

So...Friday at 12:30 at Michael Argetsinger's book signing in the Donohue tent, and Saturday at 10:30, same place

Add to the list Chuck Brandt, who just e mailed me that he is driving up from Kansas to make the show.

See everybody there!

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 07 July 2010 - 16:57.

#345 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 23:47

So...Friday at 12:30 at Michael Argetsinger's book signing in the Donohue tent, and Saturday at 10:30, same place

Tom

I will be there on Saturday & Sunday.

#346 SKL

SKL

• 604 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:48

Sorry to miss the big show but I'll be there in spirit! Enjoy the weekend guys!! Got my matching publisher's edition of the photo book already on order to go with the original- right next to my concours condition "Unfair Advantage" signed by David...

#347 jm70

jm70

• 140 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:02

I plan to be there on the Saturday. Hope to see some of you guys.

#348 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:42

Thanks to those who have replied and will be attending. To SLK and others who cannot be in attendance, we will do our best to photograph and post images of the activities to bring it to you. Hard to believe we are only one week away from this fine gathering.

photo:Pete Biro
Posted Image

1972 Can Am champion, George Follmer, follows teammate Mark Donohue at Laguna Seca. Mark was early in his comeback from leg injuries at Road Atlanta. The duo had identical, record breaking qualifying times. Mark got the pole based on the cumulative time of his three best laps. Mark led the race for 88 of the first 90 laps. He slowed and waved George by so Porsche could take the title with a win, although Follmer's second would have been good enough to earn him the championship.

Mark being the consumate team player, Ferrari certainly didn't start blatant team orders in Austria.

#349 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 19:21

I talked to Mike Argetsinger this morning. He is delighted to hear that we are using the occasion of his new book rollout to have an informal TNF gathering, and will be happy to see us.
Tom

#350 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,278 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 19:12

I received this schedule earlier today for next weeks activities.

SCHEDULE FOR MARK DONOHUE REUNION AT ROAD AMERICA

WEDNESDAY JULY 14th

set up day

cars must be brought to tent between 9-5

We are just south of main straight tunnel directly across from start finish line.

Please call Paul 317-258-4741 when arriving

6-8 Reception at David Hobbs Honda if interested please contact me please

THURSDAY JULY 15th

tent will be open for display 8-5

Private Party for Special Guests and Car Owners at Rick Dresang's on Crystal Lake which is
two miles from the track directions will be given at tent

6-???

FRIDAY JULY 16th

12:30pm book signing and autograph session in tent

4:30pm cars line up for downtown Concours/Festival

5:00 cars leave with police escort for downtown display

time TBA when coming back

SATURDAY JULY 17th

10:30am book signing and autograph session in tent

12:00pm cars line up for Exhibition Laps

12:10 Exhibition Laps for all Donohue Cars that choose to participate

3:00pm book signing and autograph session in tent

6:00pm Group photo for Donohue Group and Cars on pit road

SUNDAY JULY 18th

7:15 Mark Donohue Breakfast at RA Center

tickets are still available at 1-800-365-RACE

12:00pm cars need to be lined up for Exhibition Laps

12:10 Exhibition Laps for all Donohue Cars that choose to participate

Donohue cars will pace each appropriate race on Sunday afternoon if they choose

(those cars racing in the groups may choose not to do this lap of honor)

1:00pm Group 1 CanAm Cars

2:00pm Group 7b F5000 Cars

2:30pm Group 6 TransAm Cars

after last scheduled race, one last lap around the track with Sunoco Porsche 917/30KL