• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#401 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,636 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:20

Posted Image
Restored Penske Transporter

Edited by Jerry Entin, 20 July 2010 - 10:20.

Advertisement

#402 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,636 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:27

Posted Image
Doug Lueck at the street Concours d' Elegance on Friday night
Doug and his wife Pam owned Siebkens Resort in Elkhart Lake in the day. Doug was the official bartender also.
Posted Image
Street Concours d' Elegance on Friday night.

The race cars are driven from the track to the main down town part of Elkhart Lake. The fans can see the cars and drivers and owners and crew. Everyone answers questions and tells about their particular car.

Drinking and eating are legal on the street this night.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 26 July 2010 - 07:29.

#403 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 517 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:19

More! MORE! MORE!

ZOOOM

#404 Gokart Mozart

Gokart Mozart

• 195 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 15:26

Dear Fellow TNF'ers,

I just wanted to say that we had an amazing weekend, beginning with the kickoff at David Hobbs Honda on Wednesday evening through the sunburnt drive home Sunday night. Being part of the reunion scene was a tremendous thrill, and having the chance to chat with guys such as Karl Kainhofer, Ron Fournier and Chuck Cantwell is something I'll never forget. Thanks to Michael Argetsinger, Paul Powell, Steve Zautke, the staff of Road America, everyone else behind the scenes, as well as my Mom and Dad for their efforts in making everything click.

With that said, we went into the Road & Track Concours d'Elegance with some hopes that our '72 Eagle would finally capture a class win after three years of trying, but our 1972 International Fleetstar 2110A wound up winning in the Retired Racing class. After that, the Best in Show award on Sunday was overwhelming, especially given the five years and countless hours it took to restore. If you would have seen it when it arrived at our shop in 2005, many would have sold it for scrap. Kudos to my Dad for seeing through the trees (or doors) on the restoration. We also need to thank our engine man, Heinz Mihm, Dick, our sign painter, Calico Hand-Painted Pinstriping, Chuck Sprague for his (painful) recollections of driving the sister truck, the web of International dealers and collectors who were able to find even the most trival parts, as well as our inside team of Paul J, Dan-O, Rick U. and Jon 'Wadewerx" Wade for all of their help in not only making the truck look and feel amazing, but get down the road without too much trouble.

Here are my photos from the weekend: http://www.flickr.co...57624544198116/

Respectfully Yours,

Jacques N. Dresang
UMW
www.uemsimotorwerks.com

Edited by Gokart Mozart, 20 July 2010 - 15:50.

#405 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 16:49

thanks for sharing the pics that's a couple of awesome vehicles you have been working on congrats on your win Jacques :-)

#406 Stoatspeed

Stoatspeed

• 235 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 17:18

For all the years I lived in the US, I planned to go to this meeting but never made it ..... the closest I got was driving past the Road America track while on a business trip in the area (not on a race day though). Now I am based in India, it's not quite so convenient to make the plans ( :well: ) let alone actually attend, so many thanks to Jerry for the great thread! Perhaps I'll get the July 2011 calendar out and see what can be done ..... hhhmmmm?

#407 oldtransamdriver

oldtransamdriver

• 181 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 17:37

Why are the bumpers not on the two older Camaros?

Can't remember if the bumpers were mandatory or not. I know we ran them on my 67 camaro - they hardly weigh anything.

Robert Barg

#408 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 19:00

Pix on this post from 1968 at Lime Rock show most cars including the #6 Camaro with out bumpers except the Porsche 911's, while around 1970 the bumpers seem to have returned as seen here on the #6 at Laguna Seca.

#409 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 19:09

This is a wonderful thread leading up to a fabulous weekend. Sorry I couldn't be a part of it.

Here is my contribution to all things Mark Donohue. This is a press kit which was given to my father by a man’s wife that worked at the local SUNOCO distributor. They knew that I was a sportcar racing fan and the manager of the office was going to throw it away. It must be somewhat rare as I’ve never seen another one like it for sale anywhere. I also have several copies of a news letter that was sent out during the year that followed the progress of Mark and the Penske team.

This is only a link to the photo. This site continues to be the MOST difficult for me to post photos to.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Edited by URY914, 20 July 2010 - 19:43.

#410 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 19:20

This is a wonderful thread leading up to a fabulous weekend. Sorry I could be a part of it.

Well, if you feel that way about it... ):

(seriously, this is a good example of how the inadvertent absence of a single word, in this case not , can change the entire meaning of a sentence.)

Tom

#411 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,369 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 19:34

This is only a link to the photo. This site continues to be the MOST difficult for me to post photos to.

It really is very straightforward, Paul - in the reply box just click on the icon that says 'Insert Image' and when the box appears, paste the actual URL of the photo (the one that ends ~.jpg) into it and - Hey Presto:

Posted Image

#412 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 19:44

Well, if you feel that way about it... ):

(seriously, this is a good example of how the inadvertent absence of a single word, in this case not , can change the entire meaning of a sentence.)

Tom

I fixed it. :drunk:

#413 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 19:47

http://4813198720_ba51e445d7_o.jpg

Edited by URY914, 20 July 2010 - 19:57.

#414 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 19:49

It really is very straightforward, Paul - in the reply box just click on the icon that says 'Insert Image' and when the box appears, paste the actual URL of the photo (the one that ends ~.jpg) into it and - Hey Presto:

Posted Image

That red x is a photo? Simple?

#415 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 22:34

How was the crowd turnout? Were there a lot entries? Thanks.

#416 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,636 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:16

Posted Image
Some of the cars at the street Concours d' Elegance

Edited by Jerry Entin, 20 July 2010 - 23:34.

#417 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:21

How was the crowd turnout? Were there a lot entries? Thanks.

Crowd turnout was not bad, surprisingly big on Friday, Saturday average, Sunday perhaps a bit below average for this event, but the Sunday weather forecast was not good. In fact a thunder storm rolled through Sunday morning delaying things for a good hour or so until the lightning passed. Later in the afternoon, more rain came in. Other than that, the weather Thursday through Saturday was hot and sunny.

Entries were down somewhat from previous years, not a surprise anywhere considering the state of the economy.

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 20 July 2010 - 23:21.

#418 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,636 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:29

Posted Image
Robert Ryan and his Lovely crew chief Susan Krout

Robert Ryan and Susan came all the way from San Luis Obispo, California for this event. He finished a fine 6th in the Sunday CanAm event. He drove his beautifully prepared Mk 6 McLaren.

The fellow in the sunglasses is Dan Basso from Vancouver, Canada. He had brought the uprights off their Lola T-163 for Harry and Dan Lipetz, so they could run their Lola T-222 in the CanAm race.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 03 September 2011 - 13:39.

#419 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:53

Thank you, good shot of you and Jerry Entin. :up:

Advertisement

#420 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:54

Mega Jerry. :up:

#421 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:18

What a fantastic weekend! Tom Warth and I drove his Citroen 2CV 330 miles from Minnesota to be there (magnanimously aided by a tailwind) and both had great fun. The highlights for me were:

1) finally meeting Michael Argetsinger and having him and David Bull autograph a copy of the new Donohue photo book; they are both class acts, and the books are a must for any fan of Donohue.

2) riding in the 2CV for five laps during the touring session on Saturday; we were passed by all of the cars but regained our status by cutting inside on the corners and taking shortcuts over the grass.

3) the Donohue breakfast on Sunday morning; Karl Kainhofer was modestly reticent, preferring to let his great accomplishments speak for themselves. The other six speakers (among them Woody Woodard, Chuck Cantrell, and Ron Fournier) gave great personal insights into Mark's character.

4) seeing the fantastically well restored blue International Penske race transporter, which rightfully won a Road & Track magazine award. Amazing!

5) the Friday (race cars) and Saturday night (street cars) shows outside Siebken's.

6) finally met Tom Schultz and talked again with Peter Egan and Augie Pabst. as well as Vic Skirmants, Harry Matthews, and Justin Frick.

Drafting huge trailer-trucks on I-94, Tom and I willed his 2CV homeward to Minnesota on Sunday afternoon. Will post a few photos as time allows. Thanks to all who put in so much effort to make this great weekend happen.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 21 July 2010 - 01:23.

#422 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:25

What a fantastic weekend! Tom Warth and I drove his Citroen 2CV 330 miles from Minnesota to be there (magnanimously aided by a tailwind) and both had great fun.

2) riding in the 2CV for five laps during the touring session on Saturday; we were passed by all of the cars but regained our status by cutting inside on the corners and taking shortcuts over the grass.

Frank

Frank, saw the Deux Cheveux in the paddock all weekend and watched it electify the crowd by its blazing speed in the Touring session. Heard more 'ooohs and ahhhs' than at a fireworks display. The crowd was dumbfounded! Amazed! Blown away! The only thing missing was the sounds of a Matra V-12 under the bonnet.

Unfortunately, I did not have sufficient time to shoot the breeze with you. I guess that there just were too many cars and too many people to see. Next year we have to arrange more hours in the day.

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 21 July 2010 - 01:27.

#423 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:08

Frank, saw the Deux Cheveux in the paddock all weekend

Two hairs...for some of us older folk, that might be appropriate!

Vince H.

#424 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:45

It was a great weekend at the track. The Donohue Reunion was very enjoyable, and for me probably a once in a lifetime to see the cars, and more importantly, the people in one place. Reflecting back on things last night, I think the only letdown would be some noteable cars that did NOT show up, for whatever reason: the Elva Courier, the 512M, the 70 Javelin, the '68 Eagle Indy car, the Lola T163 Can-Am, etc. I mean nothing negative to the organizers who did a fine job - just that after it was all over, I wondered where the other cars were, and if you owned one, how you could possibly miss this event?

Edited by Aero426, 21 July 2010 - 14:44.

#425 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:05

The old Porsche Park filled with all the 356 cars on Saturday...

Posted Image

The Lipetz Lola undergoing repair Friday afternoon. The crew did a great job getting the car up and running. I thought it was done for the weekend.

Posted Image

I had not seen Bob Bodin's 250 SWB in quite a few years.

Posted Image

Edited by Aero426, 21 July 2010 - 04:06.

#426 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:17

Getting ready to go to town on Friday night. My car is the red white and blue Superbird which we displayed over the weekend. The car is somewhat new to me, so driving it to and from town was very enjoyable.

Posted Image

Andy Boone's McLeagle getting ready to go into town on Friday night.

Posted Image

The massive crowd downtown on Saturday night. Friday was even more crowded.

Posted Image

Our car downtown was very well received. However, we picked up a scratch on the quarter panel, apparently from someone being careless.

Posted Image

Edited by Aero426, 21 July 2010 - 04:26.

#427 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:22

I personally had never seen the McKee wedgie running on track before. It was great to see it in action.

Posted Image

It seemed there were a lot of Gurney cars on hand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Beautiful M8F in the paddock.

Posted Image

Edited by Aero426, 21 July 2010 - 04:27.

#428 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:25

aero426 nice work. :up:

#429 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,636 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:12

Posted Image
Bob and Paula Hardison at Street Concours
Bob Hardison brought both of his Echidna's to the street Concours. Chris Hines of Arrowlane Restorations drove one of them. That is Chris in the picture with Bob and Paula Hardison.

#430 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,636 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:34

Posted Image
Street Concours on Friday night
Posted Image
More Street Concours action

Edited by Jerry Entin, 21 July 2010 - 10:40.

#431 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,636 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:48

Posted Image
CanAm pits after Sunday race

#432 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,156 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:59

My apologies from the Washington D.C. area. I'm stuck with a lap top that is not allowing me to access internet, so I'm sitting in the motel lobby writing this. Bad timing of a business trip is making me drop the ball here and I'm not getting my photos of the event up as planned. I feel like I'm letting some people down - my sincere apologies. Bear with me, I've got a ton of great photos that I'll be able to continue with posting on Saturday or Sunday when back home. Trust me, it is not from loss of interest in the subject matter!

Thanks to all who are adding their great remembrances and photos from the weekend.

#433 sblick

sblick

• 479 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:34

Aero 426 the McKee "wedgie" runs alot, but mostly on the west coast where the owner lives. The owner was very happy with the way it ran last weekend. We had to replace a lot of CV boots but otherwise it ran flawlessly. Over the weekend he picked up over 5 seconds of time. This was the second or third time he has had the car at Road America. Right now it is being prepared to run at Watkins Glen and Lime Rock Park. We also had the blue and white Lotus 19 and that will also be at The Glen and Lime Rock.

#434 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 16:44

Great pictures Jerry!! As always Thanks!!
Rob

#435 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 16:54

Fab pics thanks Aero426 love your #7 Speedbird or was it a Roadrunner ?

Does it have a NASCAR or Trans Am history ?

Looking at the wheels I'd guess NASCAR ?

#436 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 20:05

Fab pics thanks Aero426 love your #7 Speedbird or was it a Roadrunner ?

Does it have a NASCAR or Trans Am history ?

Looking at the wheels I'd guess NASCAR ?

Thank you, and hello. The Superbird has history in ARCA, NASCAR and mostly USAC. It's a factory sponsored car built by Nichels Engineering (the Chrysler factory racing contractor) , and raced by Ramo Stott from Iowa. The highlights are:

1970 ARCA 300 at Daytona - winner
1970 Daytona 500 8th
1970 ARCA Vulcan 500 at Talladega - winner
1970 Talladega 500 (NASCAR) 8th
1972 USAC Twin 200 at Michigan Intl Speedway - winner

The car raced during 1970, 1971 and 1972. After '72 it was stored completely intact until 1988 when the original driver sold it. It was a very lucky car to have never been crashed and still has its original body panels. It was repainted about 20 years ago, but otherwise is an unrestored car.

Posted Image

Edited by Aero426, 21 July 2010 - 20:08.

#437 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,135 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 22:19

I've barely begun to process my photos from the Saturday, but I thought I'd share the couple I've done so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#438 UAR66

UAR66

• 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 00:38

It was a great weekend at the track. The Donohue Reunion was very enjoyable, and for me probably a once in a lifetime to see the cars, and more importantly, the people in one place. Reflecting back on things last night, I think the only letdown would be some noteable cars that did NOT show up, for whatever reason: the Elva Courier, the 512M, the 70 Javelin, the '68 Eagle Indy car, the Lola T163 Can-Am, etc. I mean nothing negative to the organizers who did a fine job - just that after it was all over, I wondered where the other cars were, and if you owned one, how you could possibly miss this event?

Thanks for all of your kind remarks about the event. I dont get on here much but enjoy reading everyones posts, and had to reply to this one.

I am the organizer for the cars and everyone of the car owners was invited....The Elva is not in the country anymore, and was not possible to come, The Ferrari 512M is owned by Lawrence Stroll who is in business with Ralph Lauren said they were going to try but in the end was used in a Ferrari event the week before, and no way to get there, even after offering many options. The 70 Javelin and the L&M 917/10 were in the same place and was offered free transport from the West Coast declined to come, thank Bruce Canepa for that. The 68 Eagle is in Florida just never showed up, no reason why. We also were expecting the 73 Lola AMC which is in Tennessee, the owner had health issues. The T163 is owned by someone involved in with Rahals new deal and was a political thing not to come. The Matador was also invited and they wanted $2500.00 to bring it, and we had no budget for it.

I want to thank everyone who did come and made it the best Mark Donohue Tribute ever......

Paul Powell

#439 SKL

SKL

• 595 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 00:45

I've been around long enough to have seen the McKee wedge run originally... :)

Coudn't make it this time (I would have loved to see the Donohue stuff!!) but seeing those cars and all the activity downtown really brings back memories of my first trips up there in the late 60's... we used to rent rooms in a house in Elkhart Lake just up the street from Seibkens...

Advertisement

#440 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 00:47

I've barely begun to process my photos from the Saturday, but I thought I'd share the couple I've done so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is Mike and Deb Korneli's beautiful alloy XK120. It has an extensive early race history in Argentina.

Edited by Aero426, 22 July 2010 - 00:48.

#441 jkracing

jkracing

• 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:08

Looks like Bobby pays more.
http://www.flickr.co...rts/4787888024/
This car should have been at Road America rather then Mount Tremblant!
Great Job Paul, wish I could have been there.

#442 jimclark

jimclark

• 90 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:58

Seeing the Pacer caused flashbacks to my '74 Gremlin and how I had to replace the alternator every 12,000 miles!

'Had a '74 also....drove and raced it 200,000+ miles ('til totalled by a red light runner) and never changed the alt. (Clutches and one tranny on the other hand....my fault tho.)
'Lookin fer another as we speak. Still got the Addco "sway" bars and coil over "helper" springs to set up the suspension again, too.  ;) :)

#443 oldtransamdriver

oldtransamdriver

• 181 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:18

Thanks for all of your kind remarks about the event. I dont get on here much but enjoy reading everyones posts, and had to reply to this one.

I am the organizer for the cars and everyone of the car owners was invited....The Elva is not in the country anymore, and was not possible to come, The Ferrari 512M is owned by Lawrence Stroll who is in business with Ralph Lauren said they were going to try but in the end was used in a Ferrari event the week before, and no way to get there, even after offering many options. The 70 Javelin and the L&M 917/10 were in the same place and was offered free transport from the West Coast declined to come, thank Bruce Canepa for that. The 68 Eagle is in Florida just never showed up, no reason why. We also were expecting the 73 Lola AMC which is in Tennessee, the owner had health issues. The T163 is owned by someone involved in with Rahals new deal and was a political thing not to come. The Matador was also invited and they wanted $2500.00 to bring it, and we had no budget for it.

I want to thank everyone who did come and made it the best Mark Donohue Tribute ever......

Paul Powell

Thanks Paul for all your efforts and to all those that helped out. Although I wasn't able to attend
in person, I was there in spirit. Keep the stories and the photos coming.

Robert Barg

#444 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:43

Paul, thank you for the insights into the missing cars, and again, congrats on a job well done!

#445 SKL

SKL

• 595 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:09

Posted Image

On a spring break trip with my kids a few years ago we came across a Ferrari dealer in the middle of England and had to stop. After talking to the owner for a while, he could tell I was a motorhead, and said, go down the road about a mile to our shop and look around! There was also an old tub of one of Gille's Ferrari's being restored as well... thought I'd died and gone to heaven...

#446 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:47

What a fantastic weekend! Tom Warth and I drove his Citroen 2CV 330 miles from Minnesota to be there (magnanimously aided by a tailwind) and both had great fun. The highlights for me were:

Drafting huge trailer-trucks on I-94, Tom and I willed his 2CV homeward to Minnesota on Sunday afternoon.

Frank

Congrats on making it in the fun car, look forward to your pix Frank :-)

#447 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:51

My apologies from the Washington D.C. area. I'm stuck with a lap top that is not allowing me to access internet, so I'm sitting in the motel lobby writing this. Bad timing of a business trip is making me drop the ball here and I'm not getting my photos of the event up as planned. I feel like I'm letting some people down - my sincere apologies. Bear with me, I've got a ton of great photos that I'll be able to continue with posting on Saturday or Sunday when back home. Trust me, it is not from loss of interest in the subject matter!

Thanks to all who are adding their great remembrances and photos from the weekend.

No need to apologise Brian, hope your business trip goes well, looking forward to your pix at the weekend :-)

#448 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,156 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:24

art - Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, the trip is going well. I was in the Watergate complex yesterday shooting a completed job for our company portfolio and also measuring for a few new jobs basically next door to CIA Headquarters in Langley, VA. All photographic work for today and tomorrow. The traffic is chaos - it makes driving in Chicago look like a drive down a country lane. I'll look forward to being back in the loop over the weekend. Thanks again for all of the support.

#449 Aero426

Aero426

• 214 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 19:28

I was fascinated by Karl Kainhofer's 1972 Penske commemorative ring. One side is for the Indy win. The other for the Can-Am championship.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#450 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 20:25

Folks:

Not every car on the track at Road America was a fast one, though this proves that at least one Porsche GT3 owner may be desperately calling his mechanic:

Posted Image

The 2CV belongs to my friend Tom Warth, he of Classic Motorbooks fame; we drove it 300 miles each way from Minneapolis, drafting everything from bicyclists to milk trucks.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 22 July 2010 - 20:49.