Memories and photos of the RS500s from the '80s

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#51 962C

962C

• 126 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 23:16

no apologies please

the point and shoot pics are exactly the ones I wanted to see, as they often show hidden gems, like on yours the special eggenberger cast magnesium rear arms that a lot of other teams could not afford to use, and the rear wheels that got these actual cars thrown out of the points at Bathurst.

Ive seen all the ones from google and the magazines etc, but the ones dug out from peoples attics, and the stories behind them are much better.

Then you should like these ;)
The RS500 was a weapon of choice in rallycross division 1 in the late 80s.

Here are a few of them:

Michel Brouard, Le Creusot (F), 1989
This car was a genuine Eggenberger car
Posted Image

Paul Surand, Le Creusot (F), 1989
Posted Image

Same car, same place, one year later
Posted Image

Posted Image

Bjorn Skogstad, Paris-Trappes, 1990
Posted Image

Edited by 962C, 29 October 2009 - 23:26.

Advertisement

#52 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:42

A couple from the GP Support Race 1987 at Silverstone.

While two I am really struggling with....

Posted Image

Gerrit Van Kouwen?????

Posted Image

Sorry but I haven't a clue :blush:

PAR

The Fina car is definitely van Kouwen in 1989. He split with the team late-season, and was replaced for the last couple of rounds by Tomas Mezera and Chris Hodgetts, who moved over from his regular Brooklyn car for the last round

The second car is one I've very rarely seen pics of- it's Bob Sands in 1988- Car was run by CC Motorsport, and sponsored by Crystal, who I think were Ford dealers. He only did the first few rounds- presumably the budget ran out?.

Edited by Kevan, 30 October 2009 - 08:20.

#53 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:14

The road cars pipe exited from the left rear as the fuel tank was on the right, I guess with that no longer in place the builders of the race cars had the option of running the exhaust
either side

Here are a few of the more obscure cars from around the globe

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are some interesting ones there! First couple are from Japan- the Japanese cars came up on the Ten-Tenths RS500 thread with some pics and results from Jesper and others, so I should be able to ID them- The yellow car is the Shimizu car- drivers were Naoki Nagasaka, Maurizio Sandro Sala, Jeff Krosnoff and Mauro Martini depending on the year. Looking at the pics on 'Tenths, that looks like the 1990 car of Krosnoff/Martini

The other is the Object T/Trampio car in 1988 colours- Naoki Nagasaka, shared with a number of different co-drivers over the season (the Japanese races were 2-driver endurance races) Other name on the door is Tomohiko Tsutsumi, who drove the car late-season.

The 'G(C?)2000' car is Andy Rouse at Macau in '88.

The last two are a total mystery to me- I've seen the pic of the blue/silver car before, but I have no idea of who, where and when

Edited by Kevan, 30 October 2009 - 08:51.

#54 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 491 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:23

I think this is Austrian Herbert Drexler in a second Wolf car. I don't have any notes regarding Drexler racing at Norisring, so likely a non qualifier - does anybody have qualifying results for the race? Drexler did race in the Salzburgring debacle a little later in the season, and in Wolf group N saloon Sierras in subsequent years.

Nice to see some German Sierras. The 10-tenths thread mentioned earlier has a bunch of Japanese Sierra pictures well worth checking out.

Jesper

I am pretty sure, that you are right. Drexler was the name I was looking for.
He was better known for hillclimbing and racing in lesser series than DTM.
Nowadays, he does this : http://limited-slip-...le-47-home.html

Actually, he is not from Austria - but almost...

Cheers,
Ralf

#55 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:44

Looks like the car Andrew Hepworth drove although it does not look like Andrew Hepworth

Hepworth drove one of Terry Drury's cars at Silverstone for the last round.

TDR had run Dave Pinkney, Mike O'Brien and Robin Donovan, though only O'Brien did the full season (albeit crossing over to share Donovan's car at the Donington 1-hour/2-driver race) Donovan didn't appear after mid-season, and Pinkney missed the last couple of races, but turned up for Silverstone with O'Brien, Hepworth and Jon Dooley.

Unlike the other multi-car teams (Rouse, Trakstar, Labatt's, Graham Goode's two Listerine cars) the three TDR cars all had individual sponsors and colourschemes- Pinkney's in his regular pink/white/blue 'Warranty Holdings' colours, http://www.pinkd.co....sierraRS500.jpg , O'Brien's a white car backed by Swan National, and Donovan's sponsored by Blue Hawk & JJ Properties -a white car with red bumpers, wheelarch trim etc. They seem to have been particularly camera-shy, as I've yet to find a pic of either on the web

Edited by Kevan, 30 October 2009 - 08:47.

#56 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:40

There are some interesting ones there! First couple are from Japan- the Japanese cars came up on the Ten-Tenths RS500 thread with some pics and results from Jesper and others, so I should be able to ID them- The yellow car is the Shimizu car- drivers were Naoki Nagasaka, Maurizio Sandro Sala, Jeff Krosnoff and Mauro Martini depending on the year. Looking at the pics on 'Tenths, that looks like the 1990 car of Krosnoff/Martini

The other is the Object T/Trampio car in 1988 colours- Naoki Nagasaka, shared with a number of different co-drivers over the season (the Japanese races were 2-driver endurance races) Other name on the door is Tomohiko Tsutsumi, who drove the car late-season.

The 'G(C?)2000' car is Andy Rouse at Macau in '88.

The last two are a total mystery to me- I've seen the pic of the blue/silver car before, but I have no idea of who, where and when

The first pic is a quite recent one I believe at a Japanese track day, so its still going strong.

Last but one car again is quite recent at some kind of European car rally, no idea of its origins though.

The final Yacco car - I remember a pair of them being for sale on carclassic around 2001, both partly stripped and listed as Eggenberger customer cars from the French Championship.

Edited by PAUL S, 30 October 2009 - 09:41.

#57 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:43

[quote name='962C' date='Oct 29 2009, 23:16' post='3962732']

:up: loving them thanks

These kind of pics just dont appear on the net, so thanks for the input

#58 962C

962C

• 126 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:06

The first pic is a quite recent one I believe at a Japanese track day, so its still going strong.

Last but one car again is quite recent at some kind of European car rally, no idea of its origins though.

The final Yacco car - I remember a pair of them being for sale on carclassic around 2001, both partly stripped and listed as Eggenberger customer cars from the French Championship.

I can't see the picture of the Yacco car right now as the proxy at work blocks it, but it might well be the car Jean-Christian Duby drove in the French hillclimbing championship in the early 90s (at least the sponsors match)
Posted Image

#59 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:17

[quote name='962C' post='3963495' date='Oct 30 2009, 10:06']I can't see the picture of the Yacco car right now as the proxy at work blocks it, but it might well be the car Jean-Christian Duby drove in the French hillclimbing championship in the early 90s (at least the sponsors match)
quote]

I think your spot on, the schemes appear to be exactly the same in your pic and the one I posted

Edited by PAUL S, 30 October 2009 - 10:18.

Advertisement

#60 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:21

The Fina car is definitely van Kouwen in 1989. He split with the team late-season, and was replaced for the last couple of rounds by Tomas Mezera and Chris Hodgetts, who moved over from his regular Brooklyn car for the last round

The second car is one I've very rarely seen pics of- it's Bob Sands in 1988- Car was run by CC Motorsport, and sponsored by Crystal, who I think were Ford dealers. He only did the first few rounds- presumably the budget ran out?.

Many thanks for filling in the blanks :)

PAR

#61 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 18:41

Posted Image

Gerrit Van Kouwen?????

PAR

Van Kouwen has already been identified, in his active suspension RS500 (can't remember/never understood the cencept), but I'd just like to say that the red M3 behind is that of Swedish lady racer Nettan Lindgren - OT, sorry. Either Van Kouwen had a bad day or Nettan a good one, because I never think they raced each other closely. Van Kouwen was a mid field Sierra runner, which used to be good enough to be ahead of the Mobil Prodrive BMW M3 of which Lindgren was behind at all times during her 1989 forays.

Jesper

#62 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 18:54

Van Kouwen has already been identified, in his active suspension RS500 (can't remember/never understood the cencept), but I'd just like to say that the red M3 behind is that of Swedish lady racer Nettan Lindgren - OT, sorry. Either Van Kouwen had a bad day or Nettan a good one, because I never think they raced each other closely. Van Kouwen was a mid field Sierra runner, which used to be good enough to be ahead of the Mobil Prodrive BMW M3 of which Lindgren was behind at all times during her 1989 forays.

Jesper

Jesper

Looking at the other pictures taken at the same time ......suggests I took the picture during practice so don't read too much into the pace or lack of it of Van Kouwen.

Wasn't it Nettan Lindgren who had a rather public "run-in" with Jonathan Palmer on TV after both their M3s ended up in a gravel trap at Snetterton? :)

PAR

#63 Tim Wilkinson

Tim Wilkinson

• 77 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 19:03

Was the van Kouwen "active" car developed by them from new? Was that the 2nd JQF car of the season?

Edited by Tim Wilkinson, 30 October 2009 - 19:34.

#64 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 19:21

Here are a few of them:

Michel Brouard, Le Creusot (F), 1989
This car was a genuine Eggenberger car
Posted Image

Apart from the blotted out bumper indicater lights, the dirty tires, slighty excess dents and bruises, the trailer on which the car is standing, is for me the tell tale that this is a rallycrosser rather than a racer - is that Renault rims on the trailer?

There seems to have been a number of Eggenberger RS500s in circulation during the 1987-1992 period although Ruedi never built customer cars, Allan Moffat being the expectation? How many cars came from the shop of Eggenberger? He produced two brand new cars for 1990 - the forth year of Ford operation - although the team only entered Sierras for the 2 x 24 hours of Nürburgring and Spa-Francorchamps, so there should be a scope for quite a lot of retired Texaco WTCC/ETCC and DTM cars by the early 1990s.
In contrast I'm told of Dick Johnson Racing made due with six cars over six seasons, having two of those cars sold off to Britain by 1989. By as late as 1991 the team managed to enter three cars for the annual Bathurst 1000, although one of the cars were recently sold off to New Zealand.

Jesper

Edited by Jesper O. Hansen, 30 October 2009 - 19:39.

#65 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:50

Wasn't it Nettan Lindgren who had a rather public "run-in" with Jonathan Palmer on TV after both their M3s ended up in a gravel trap at Snetterton? :)

PAR

Yes, it was- haven't seen the clip for a while, but as I remember, Palmer was trying to pass her with little success, finally resorting to an attempted outbraking move which put them both in the gravel. Much to the amusement of the spectators, as Palmer was still sitting in his car, Nettan got out of her M3, marched over to the Prodrive car, opened the door and gave JP a piece of her mind before slamming the door shut again- all caught perfectly by the on-board camera in Palmer's car...

From what I remember, the conversation was pretty one-sided and started with 'What the hell were you doing?' :lol:

#66 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:05

Yes, it was- haven't seen the clip for a while, but as I remember, Palmer was trying to pass her with little success, finally resorting to an attempted outbraking move which put them both in the gravel. Much to the amusement of the spectators, as Palmer was still sitting in his car, Nettan got out of her M3, marched over to the Prodrive car, opened the door and gave JP a piece of her mind before slamming the door shut again- all caught perfectly by the on-board camera in Palmer's car...

From what I remember, the conversation was pretty one-sided and started with 'What the hell were you doing?' :lol:

Didn't it also finish with the comment....

" No wonder you are not in F1 anymore " :)

PAR

#67 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,168 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 16:34

here is a copy of the homologation document for the RS500 and its clearly stamped "not valid for rally"

Which is as I mentioned earlier. Papers were issued and it was banned from (International only) rallying. There were no separate homologations of any car model then or at any other time for International racing and rallying. As also mentioned, I cannot immediately think of any other vehicle that was properly homologated but banned from one but not the other.
As for a previous post suggesting Colin McRae would have been impressive rallying one, not on the overwhelming majority of rallies, where an "ordinary" one would have been better/quicker overall? On the very few tarmac International rallies where the extra power might have been used, having to stop to change the engine block during the event would have been a bit of a handicap...

It raises the whole question of whether the new Appendix J GpA and N were thought through as adequately as claimed. There is little doubt the changes gave advantage to injected cars and were targetted at UK models that had been successful in Gps 1 and 2 using twin carburettors - the classic "clubman's" way into International events. The implications of turbos, combined with the FIA submitting to manufacturers demands for "evolution" to be re-introduced suggests not. (The intent of "evolution" was to accommodate minor styling changes within a model's production life...)
It is a measure of the success of GPsN/A in eliminating so many traditional models used by private entrants that the old Gps 2 and 4 had to be extended in parallel with the new Groups for a year to ensure adequate International rally entries....then for another year too.

No awards for guessing I was no fan of RS500s and their like.

Edited by RS2000, 01 November 2009 - 16:39.

#68 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 511 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 18:29

As for a previous post suggesting Colin McRae would have been impressive rallying one, not on the overwhelming majority of rallies, where an "ordinary" one would have been better/quicker overall?

That was me, and I agree; maybe not quicker, but certainly more spectacular, while it lasted.

#69 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 21:41

Does anyone remember the big Ford/Texaco/Eggenberger posters? I've got one - a 64-sheet poster, i.e. 26 feet long, 10 feet high! I was so impressed by the car and the poster that I very cheekily phoned Harry Calton and asked if there was a chance... Lo and behold, a few days later, delivered by car, a big roll of paper. I am beginning to realise that I will never own a wall big enough, which is sad.

#70 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,755 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:40

While personally not a fan of Sierras they were a very quick little beast though somewhat of a handgrenade mechanically.
I doubt though if they would have been a good rally car as the power was somewhat light switch. The circuit cars had problems [HUGE] getting that power to the ground. As a rally car it would be off the road or at least out of tyres in about 2 miles!

I still remember the incar cameras with Dick Johnson and you can hear the wheel spin all the time. Whereas the incar of the Commodore it is mostly going forward. And the Bimmers were always going forward

#71 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,694 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:34

While personally not a fan of Sierras they were a very quick little beast though somewhat of a handgrenade mechanically.
I doubt though if they would have been a good rally car as the power was somewhat light switch. The circuit cars had problems [HUGE] getting that power to the ground. As a rally car it would be off the road or at least out of tyres in about 2 miles!

I still remember the incar cameras with Dick Johnson and you can hear the wheel spin all the time. Whereas the incar of the Commodore it is mostly going forward. And the Bimmers were always going forward

I did private practice in my HQ Holden quite a few times when the touring cars were on the track, the Sierras used to hold me up in corners! It was quite funny that they could out-brake me easily but I could get onto the throttle a lot earlier. So I would have to back off to avoid hitting them up the bum but as soon as they were straight they could run away from me.
Glen Seton had a left foot braking technique to try and reduce wheelspin, his brakelights would be flicking on and off as he accelerated out of the corners.

#72 roblegin

roblegin

• 36 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:19

[quote name='Phil Rainford' date='Oct 29 2009, 19:05' post='3962340']

I'm almost certain that Mike Smiths RS500 was a prodsaloon car, modified for the BTCC race. If you look at the photos you can see how much softer the car was sprung compared to the proper BTCC cars. IIRC Robb Gravetts car in the same race was also a modified prodsaloon.

Is that right or is my memory playing tricks? I know they raced the ex Johnson cars in following seasons.

#73 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 13:28

I'm almost certain that Mike Smiths RS500 was a prodsaloon car, modified for the BTCC race. If you look at the photos you can see how much softer the car was sprung compared to the proper BTCC cars. IIRC Robb Gravetts car in the same race was also a modified prodsaloon.

Is that right or is my memory playing tricks? I know they raced the ex Johnson cars in following seasons.

Definitely his prodsaloon- apart from the softer springing you mentioned, it's also on smaller tyres than the ICS car in Phil's other pic in that post (and on what look like standard Cosworth alloys) IIRC, quite a few prodsaloons turned out for the GP support- you've already mentioned Gravett, but the entry list also included Jerry Mahony (Phil posted a pic of his car in another thread a while ago: http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=3407553 ), and I think a couple of others?

A few more Sierra pics can be found here: http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=3181513

Edited by Kevan, 02 November 2009 - 13:59.

#74 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:06

Looking at some notes I've got of the results, several prodsaloons turned out for the GP Support- Smith, Gravett and Mahony as we've already mentioned, plus Dave Morgan's TCCS Racing car.

Mahony also possibly appeared at the next round at Brands, and there's one other possible prodsaloon appearance- Australian Rex Muldoon finished 6th in the final round at Silverstone in an 'Auto Parts International'-entered Cosworth.

Muldoon was a rally driver as I remember (I know he features on several contemporary RAC entry lists in Toyota Corollas and Sierras, and I think a shot of him on an RAC turned up in one of the rally pic threads a while back), but was his Silverstone mount a prodsaloon racer, a moonlighting rally car, or a hired Group A racer. Any ideas?

#75 malscar

malscar

• 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:30

The Johnson car just doesn't look right with headlights. It never had any when it was racing. :smoking:

Sorry to burst your bubble, however the car appears to be as they ran in 1987. The DJR cars did not have the red or yellow covers that year, just the Shell logo stuck directly on the headlight.

Can provide photos if you wish.

#76 roblegin

roblegin

• 36 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 20:52

The Mike Smith / Robb Gravett Sierra prodsaloon / BTCC hybrid cars, Silverstone British Grand Prix support, 1987

Posted Image

#77 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:24

The Mike Smith / Robb Gravett Sierra prodsaloon / BTCC hybrid cars, Silverstone British Grand Prix support, 1987

Posted Image

Great stuff- that's the first pic I've seen of Gravett's car in touring car guise. Mahony's car was a near-twin, with a few small variations in the colourscheme and the absence of Gravett's 'Robbco' sponsorship. As I recall, Robb started the season with mainly his own company's backing on the car, and on a very limited budget, until Mahony's Arquati deal was extended to cover both cars. They were run by different teams though- Gravett's by Graham Hathaway (GHR logos can be seen on the mirrors in your pic) and Mahony's by Roger Dowson IIRC?

#78 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,694 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:04

Sorry to burst your bubble, however the car appears to be as they ran in 1987. The DJR cars did not have the red or yellow covers that year, just the Shell logo stuck directly on the headlight.

Can provide photos if you wish.

It must have just been the later cars that he didn't use the headlights. A friend of mine was building a Sierra in the early 90s. He bought a nose panel from Dick Johnson and it was one piece with no holes for the headlights. Dick didn't have any headlights or headlight buckets to sell because he said that he didn't run them. My mate ended up getting the headlights from Brock.

#79 k1w1taxi

k1w1taxi

• 40 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:41

I believe the reason for the pace of the DJR cars at the TT was eventually revealed and it was they had managed to crack the code of the Bosch ecu system that most of the 500s ran, and had improved the maps before other teams managed to do the same.

I am hoping that some of the ex drivers use the site, and might put up some comments about this era of their careers.

John Bowe (DJ's team mate) wrote about the Sierra days in his column in issue 45 of Australian Muscle Car. A couple of points of interest from said column.

And it would go from about 150bhp to 600 bhp in a very narrow 1000rpm power band. It was like a light switch - either on or off. (with the narrow tyre and small aero) to say they were 'tricky' to drive was an understatement.

In 1989 though, Neal Lowe had upgraded to the latest Bosch MP1.7 system, as used on the Porsche 962. This system had six or eight turbo boost maps if my memory serves me.

I don't know how much more advanced that system was (if at all) from what the Euro teams were using.

Cheers
Lee

Advertisement

#80 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:48

In 1989 though, Neal Lowe had upgraded to the latest Bosch MP1.7 system, as used on the Porsche 962. This system had six or eight turbo boost maps if my memory serves me.

I don't know how much more advanced that system was (if at all) from what the Euro teams were using.

Off the top of my head, they started using the Bosch Motronic 1.2 system after the '87 season ended. This was the same system that the Eggenberger team was using, whilst Rouse was using a Zytek system. As you say Lee, DJR upgraded to the Bosch 1.7 system for the '89 enduros, and then switched to the Ford EEC-IV system in late 1990 through 1991. I'm not sure what the Stone brothers used when they joined DJR for 1992.

I'm not sure what system the other European runners were using. Pretty much all Rouse customer cars would have run the same Zytek system as Andy did. I'm not sure what Mountune used when they took over preparing TrakStar's engines in early 1989, but I suspect it wasn't the Bosch 1.2 system DJR used. I have no idea what management system the Wolf cars ran.

Of the Australian runners, Andrew Miedecke used Rouse-sourced management chips throughout 1988, so that suggests a Zytek system. I'm not sure what setup Longhurst used, but I think he was reliant on European-sourced chips to start with, too. I don't know what system they ended up using, but general concensus had the Longhurst team as having the most powerful engines in the 1990 season. IIRC they were built by Mark McLaughlin, so he would be the person to ask. Colin Bond's team used a locally-developed MoTec system in 1989 (and probably onwards).

I believe the reason for the pace of the DJR cars at the TT was eventually revealed and it was they had managed to crack the code of the Bosch ecu system that most of the 500s ran, and had improved the maps before other teams managed to do the same.

DJR made contact with one of the guys who worked on the Ford RS200 rally program, and he set them up with the equipment and knowledge of how to program their own management chips. DJR were the only team that had this capability in 1988, hence their total dominance of the ATCC that year. I remember reading about how they developed the mapping that was to be used at the Silverstone TT. Sunny Queensland in winter can still be a lot warmer than Silverstone in September, so the engine men took to dyno-testing the engines late at night to simulate the anticipated English conditions! :lol:

#81 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 13:16

Sunny Queensland in winter can still be a lot warmer than Silverstone in September, so the engine men took to dyno-testing the engines late at night to simulate the anticipated English conditions! :lol:

Posted Image

Silverstone in September!

#82 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 13:41

[Silverstone in September!

Nice pic Tony- is that 1987 or 1988?
If it was the '87 TT, it got wetter as it went on...
Allam/Winkelhock (Wolf Racing)
http://www.racingspo...7-09-06-004.jpg

the Eggenberger pair
http://www.racingspo...7-09-06-006.jpg
http://www.racingspo...7-09-06-007.jpg

Rouse/Tassin
http://www.racingspo...7-09-06-008.jpg

Hall/Percy (Pete Hall, not Rob as captioned...)
http://www.racingspo...7-09-06-011.jpg

...and front rows of the grid from Tony Harman's collection
http://i271.photobuc...906SSTT-111.jpg
http://i271.photobuc...906SSTT-112.jpg

Edited by Kevan, 06 November 2009 - 13:49.

#83 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 14:50

Collection of shots from a Uniroyal Production Saloon car race at Oulton.

Without the programme I could have a stab at the drivers.......but I am sure there is more than enough expertise on this thread to correctly identify them ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PAR

#84 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 16:02

Collection of shots from a Uniroyal Production Saloon car race at Oulton.

Without the programme I could have a stab at the drivers.......but I am sure there is more than enough expertise on this thread to correctly identify them ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PAR

From the top:

Firestone- usually Mark Hales
Janspeed- the late Kieth Odor
Brown & Geeson/Castrol- Sean Brown
Motoparts- possibly Peter Clarke?
green/yellow MotoBuild car- probably one of the Davis brothers- Graeme, Darryl or Rae. Can't recall which did prodsaloons

#85 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 16:05

This thread has far exceeded my expectations already, keep the pics and info coming guys

#86 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 16:06

I didn't say as I hadn't written on the back of the print, but '87 in that case, as it was very wet! I was mechanic'ing for Tom's GB, Toyota FX, Tiff Needel and Phil Dowset, and took the opportunity of taking about 100 detail shots of the Texaco Sierra in between sessions.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 06 November 2009 - 18:21.

#87 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 16:52

Posted Image

OT, but is that the Colin Pearcy MG Metro Turbo in the background of the #16 Arquati Sierra? Never seen a picture of that car, let alone what colors it was supposed to wear.

Jesper

#88 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 17:09

OT, but is that the Colin Pearcy MG Metro Turbo in the background of the #16 Arquati Sierra? Never seen a picture of that car, let alone what colors it was supposed to wear.

Jesper

As I remember, the Pearcy Metro was still in works 'Computervision' colours in '87 (complete with all of the original signwriting and logos)- I do have a very poor photo somewhere of it at Donington that year, but it might take a while to find.

#89 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 18:40

As I remember, the Pearcy Metro was still in works 'Computervision' colours in '87 (complete with all of the original signwriting and logos)- I do have a very poor photo somewhere of it at Donington that year, but it might take a while to find.

There was a Metro Turbo Challenge at the time, supporting the GP too, right?

Good to see more pictures of these production saloons in group A races - I think to remember that the Rex Muldoon car, mentioned earlier in the thread, was a group A rally RS Cosworth set up for tarmac.

Jesper

#90 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 18:52

Allam/Winkelhock (Wolf Racing)
http://www.racingspo...7-09-06-004.jpg

the Eggenberger pair
http://www.racingspo...7-09-06-006.jpg
http://www.racingspo...7-09-06-007.jpg

Rouse/Tassin
http://www.racingspo...7-09-06-008.jpg

Hall/Percy (Pete Hall, not Rob as captioned...)
http://www.racingspo...7-09-06-011.jpg

I think that I may have made the mistake about the Pete Hall car when I sent the photos to Martin for use on his site, sorry about that. :blush:

Glyn

Edited by glyn parham, 06 November 2009 - 18:53.

#91 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:37

I am currently restoring my fathers group a ford sierra ex dick johnson 1988 australian championship car and the car that was taken to silverstone in 88. i hope to have it race ready in 2 years. My father raced this car in the 1991 bathurst 1000. The car is still in valvoline colours but is going to be restored in the djr colours.

Ray Lintott's car? It even had the seven spoke DJR rims, if I remember correct. Having partly forgotten my DJR geneaology, was the Valvoline car the only car sold off localy? Two went to Trackstar in Brittain and one to Mark Petch in New Zealand. Did Johnson simply not want competition from his old cars or were the offers not generous enough?

A bit sad to hear the striking Valvoline colors go - there was a Norwegian rallycross car of that design too - in favour of the more famous Shell scheme. But as the first championship winning car of the Johnson team, I respect your choice.
Jesper

Edited by Jesper O. Hansen, 07 November 2009 - 02:52.

#92 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:51

Argentinian TC 2000 - Season 1991

Ernesto Besssone, Ford Sierra XR4 - Team Ford works

Posted Image

#93 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:56

I am currently restoring my fathers group a ford sierra ex dick johnson 1988 australian championship car and the car that was taken to silverstone in 88. i hope to have it race ready in 2 years. My father raced this car in the 1991 bathurst 1000. The car is still in valvoline colours but is going to be restored in the djr colours.

:up: thanks for contributing to the thread, great to know a famous car is going to be back on the scene

Are you doing a photographic restoration - any chance of posting a few pics on here as you go along

#94 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:09

Posted Image

Gerrit Van Kouwen?????

PAR

Bob Sands ?

#95 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 14:01

We were running top 10 mid race in bathurst 91 untill someone entered the pits too fast and damaged the radiator.

Ray Lintott, Tony Scott and John English were the drivers of the day and the notorious pit lane speed bumps were the obstacle, I guess.

Jesper

Edited by Jesper O. Hansen, 07 November 2009 - 14:02.

#96 roblegin

roblegin

• 36 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 16:20

Jesper

Jesper,
having checked the programme the blue Metro in the background is either number 13 - Mike Bulmer, 23 -Derek Bowley or 33 - Fred Crab. Colin Pearcey isnt on the entry list, sorry!

#97 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 19:38

Jesper,
having checked the programme the blue Metro in the background is either number 13 - Mike Bulmer, 23 -Derek Bowley or 33 - Fred Crab. Colin Pearcey isnt on the entry list, sorry!

Thank you for checking, anyway. I was asking as Pearcy was running a proper group A car.

Jesper

#98 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 19:43

Jesper,

Colin's Metro wasn't a Metro Challenge Metro, but a BTCC one- he had one of the former works-backed Computervision cars from the 1983/4 series. Think he had race number 55.

Rob- if you've got the race programme for the '87 GP, I've got a few queries about the BTCC Entry list you might be able to clarify- I'm trying to work out the complete entry lists for each round. The only one that's strictly relevant to this thread is the race number and entrant for Dave Morgan's car- think it was entered by TCCS Racing. I might start a new thread for the others

Thanks

#99 roblegin

roblegin

• 36 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 20:07

Colin's Metro wasn't a Metro Challenge Metro, but a BTCC one- he had one of the former works-backed Computervision cars from the 1983/4 series. Think he had race number 55.

Rob- if you've got the race programme for the '87 GP, I've got a few queries about the BTCC Entry list you might be able to clarify- I'm trying to work out the complete entry lists for each round. The only one that's strictly relevant to this thread is the race number and entrant for Dave Morgan's car- think it was entered by TCCS Racing. I might start a new thread for the others

Thanks

Dave Morgan's number was 19®, so presumably 'reserve' - Car was listed as Ford Sierra RS Cosworth, entered by TCCS Racing, I hope that helps you.

Just to add that Colin Pearcey was in the BTCC race, car 55, MG Metro Turbo, entered by Smith & Latimer Ltd

Edited by roblegin, 07 November 2009 - 22:25.

Advertisement

#100 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:22

Dave Morgan's number was 19®, so presumably 'reserve' - Car was listed as Ford Sierra RS Cosworth, entered by TCCS Racing, I hope that helps you.

Just to add that Colin Pearcey was in the BTCC race, car 55, MG Metro Turbo, entered by Smith & Latimer Ltd

Brilliant- thanks for that. As you say, sounds like Morgan was originally listed as a reserve entry,- according to the version of results I've got, 36 cars or thereabouts started, and if reserves were listed, then presumably there were a few no-shows. A couple that come to mind would be TWR who I think entered a Holden for Walkinshaw and a Rover for Jeff Allam, but instead took the Holden to the Nurburgring WTCC round which I think was the same weekend (12th July), but we're in danger of getting a long way off-topic here... :lol:

I first got interested in touring cars in 1984/5, and the '85-'87 period is interesting- it was a bit of a low-point for the series after the protests, court cases and Austin Rover withdrawal of 1984, with grid numbers down to little more than 12-15 cars at times in '86/7, until a revival came in 1988 with the RS500s and M3s. It did see a lot of occasional and one-off entries though, including things like prodsaloons and the occasional Group A rallycar....

I'm trying to find out more on these, but rather than take this thread further off-topic, I'll start a new one later, though there were some more 'occasional' Sierras which I'll raise in this thread...I've already mentioned Rex Muldoons 'API' rallycar at Silverstone late season, which I think was the only other 'one-off' Cosworth in 1987

There were a few more in 1988 which only appeared occasionally, other than the Eggenberger appearances by Soper and Brancatelli. We've already seen the Bob Sands car, which only did the first few rounds, but there were a couple of other rarely-seen cars.

Chris Hodgetts split with the MIL Motorsport Toyota Supra project mid-season, coming back for the last few rounds with a red Brooklyn Motors RS500

Tom Bell and Ray MacDowell appeared in a couple of rounds, sharing a car entered by ECM Vehicle Delivery- the car was road-registered(!) and was also seen in Thundersaloons and club racing: http://farm4.static...._67f5d3fb75.jpg

Apart from a number of driver changes for some of the regular cars, 1989 saw a couple of occasional visitors- rallycrosser Mark Rennison crossed over to circuit racing ,but only made a handful of appearances in an RS500, and Swede Kaj Bornebusch showed up for the first couple of rounds.

The last RS500 season again saw a few occasional cars- Dave Brodie came back for a few races late-season, the Amato Ferrari Crypton Engineering car has already been seen in this thread, Dennis Leech returned to the series for a few races with an RS500 replacing his black Rover, and Stuart Donnan appeared at least once late-season.

Any others come to mind?

Edited by Kevan, 08 November 2009 - 07:38.