Photo

Memories and photos of the RS500s from the '80s

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#101 roblegin

roblegin

• 36 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:16

Brilliant- thanks for that. As you say, sounds like Morgan was originally listed as a reserve entry,- according to the version of results I've got, 36 cars or thereabouts started, and if reserves were listed, then presumably there were a few no-shows. A couple that come to mind would be TWR who I think entered a Holden for Walkinshaw and a Rover for Jeff Allam, but instead took the Holden to the Nurburgring WTCC round which I think was the same weekend (12th July), but we're in danger of getting a long way off-topic here... :lol:

I first got interested in touring cars in 1984/5, and the '85-'87 period is interesting- it was a bit of a low-point for the series after the protests, court cases and Austin Rover withdrawal of 1984, with grid numbers down to little more than 12-15 cars at times in '86/7, until a revival came in 1988 with the RS500s and M3s. It did see a lot of occasional and one-off entries though, including things like prodsaloons and the occasional Group A rallycar....

I'm trying to find out more on these, but rather than take this thread further off-topic, I'll start a new one later, though there were some more 'occasional' Sierras which I'll raise in this thread...I've already mentioned Rex Muldoons 'API' rallycar at Silverstone late season, which I think was the only other 'one-off' Cosworth in 1987

There were a few more in 1988 which only appeared occasionally, other than the Eggenberger appearances by Soper and Brancatelli. We've already seen the Bob Sands car, which only did the first few rounds, but there were a couple of other rarely-seen cars.

Chris Hodgetts split with the MIL Motorsport Toyota Supra project mid-season, coming back for the last few rounds with a red Brooklyn Motors RS500

Tom Bell and Ray MacDowell appeared in a couple of rounds, sharing a car entered by ECM Vehicle Delivery- the car was road-registered(!) and was also seen in Thundersaloons and club racing: http://farm4.static...._67f5d3fb75.jpg

Apart from a number of driver changes for some of the regular cars, 1989 saw a couple of occasional visitors- rallycrosser Mark Rennison crossed over to circuit racing ,but only made a handful of appearances in an RS500, and Swede Kaj Bornebusch showed up for the first couple of rounds.

The last RS500 season again saw a few occasional cars- Dave Brodie came back for a few races late-season, the Amato Ferrari Crypton Engineering car has already been seen in this thread, Dennis Leech returned to the series for a few races with an RS500 replacing his black Rover, and Stuart Donnan appeared at least once late-season.

Any others come to mind?

Youve probably got this information but the Class A entry list was:-

1 Win Percy, Sierra Cosworth, Industrial Control Services plc
2 Pete Hall, Sierra Cosworth, Industrial Control Services plc
3 Graham Scarborough, Rover Vitesse, Letchworth Roofing
4 Dennis Leech, Rover Vitesse, Shell Oils
5 Dave Carvell, Rover Vitesse, RA Potter Racing Developments
6 Graham Goode, Sierra Cosworth, Listerine-Goode Racing
7 Mike O'Brien, Holden Commodore VK, Alan Docking Racing
8 Tim Harvey, Rover Vitesse, Team Istel-Austin Rover Finance
9 Dave Brodie, Mitsubishi Starion Turbo, BBW Turbo-sport
10 Mike Newman, BMW 635 CSi, Newmans Footwear
12 Jeff Allam, Rover Vitesse, TWR
14 Brian Chatfield, Rover Vitesse, Driver
15 Mike Smith, Sierra Cosworth, Mike Smith Racing with Mobil 1
16 Robb Gravett, Sierra Cosworth, Driver
17 Tom Walkinshaw, Holden Commodore, TWR
18 Jerry Mahoney, Sierra Cosworth, Arquati
19R Dave Morgan, Sierra Cosworth, TCCS Racing

Advertisement

#102 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 15:58

Quick question

always wondered what "Arquati" Jerry Mahoneys sponsor actually sold, loved the scheme but had no idea who they were - nothing coming up on google

#103 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 16:08

Quick question

always wondered what "Arquati" Jerry Mahoneys sponsor actually sold, loved the scheme but had no idea who they were - nothing coming up on google

I think it was/is coloured board for mounting paintings or photographs. It may have included mouldings as well.

#104 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 16:13

I think it was/is coloured board for mounting paintings or photographs. It may have included mouldings as well.

I always thought it was a boat brokerage.

Whatever it was clearly money well spent, we can all remember the name, but dont have much idea what they did.

#105 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 16:14

I think this picture might clarify the issue :)

Posted Image

PAR

#106 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 16:28

Arquati had/have a factory in Milton Keynes although I think it's an American company.

#107 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 16:34

Youve probably got this information but the Class A entry list was:-

1 Win Percy, Sierra Cosworth, Industrial Control Services plc
2 Pete Hall, Sierra Cosworth, Industrial Control Services plc
3 Graham Scarborough, Rover Vitesse, Letchworth Roofing
4 Dennis Leech, Rover Vitesse, Shell Oils
5 Dave Carvell, Rover Vitesse, RA Potter Racing Developments
6 Graham Goode, Sierra Cosworth, Listerine-Goode Racing
7 Mike O'Brien, Holden Commodore VK, Alan Docking Racing
8 Tim Harvey, Rover Vitesse, Team Istel-Austin Rover Finance
9 Dave Brodie, Mitsubishi Starion Turbo, BBW Turbo-sport
10 Mike Newman, BMW 635 CSi, Newmans Footwear
12 Jeff Allam, Rover Vitesse, TWR
14 Brian Chatfield, Rover Vitesse, Driver
15 Mike Smith, Sierra Cosworth, Mike Smith Racing with Mobil 1
16 Robb Gravett, Sierra Cosworth, Driver
17 Tom Walkinshaw, Holden Commodore, TWR
18 Jerry Mahoney, Sierra Cosworth, Arquati
19R Dave Morgan, Sierra Cosworth, TCCS Racing

Thanks- I think that fills in a couple of race numbers I didn't have, such as the Chatfield Rover. The TWR pair were no-shows, Tom taking the Commodore to the Nurburgring instead... http://img339.images.../twrvl87nn7.jpg

Edited by Kevan, 10 November 2009 - 17:50.

#108 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 16:45

Going back to Robb Gravett and Trakstar- The original sponsors from '89 (Cartel/NEC) didn't stay for a second year, and Trakstar's 1990 season looked a bit more 'hand-to-mouth', with only a single car at a lot of races (a second car for Smith popped up occasionally), and plain white cars with little or no sponsorship for much of the season, apart from some one-off deals (I think the cars had some backing from a computer company at one point, and Smith's carried 'Dianetics' logos at the GP support) until some backing from Ford Credit materialised late-season. A couple of pics to illustrate this- both at Brands Hatch, but different meetings.

The shot of Gravett's RS500 in the paddock was taken at the F3000 meeting, The other car lurking under the Trakstar awning in the paddock pic is Ray Armes' 2-litre 'PG Tags' Honda Civic, also run by Trakstar that year

Posted Image

and one of Gravett/Smith on track when they shared a car at the Brands 1-hour race, with just 'Shell' logos on the car

Posted Image

Edited by Kevan, 10 November 2009 - 16:48.

#109 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 17:05

I always thought it was a boat brokerage.

Whatever it was clearly money well spent, we can all remember the name, but dont have much idea what they did.

At least he can decorate his cell with nicely mounted pictures!!

Was there ever a boat broker that sponsored a BTCC touring car??

#110 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 17:13

I think this picture might clarify the issue :) PAR

:lol: :up:

#111 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 17:42

:lol: :up:

agreed, thanks gents - another mystery solved :up:

#112 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 17:45

At least he can decorate his cell with nicely mounted pictures!!

Apart from the obvious stuff around his criminal activities, what was the background on Mahony? As I remember, he seemed to appear pretty much from nowhere in prodsaloons with the Arquati Sierra in '87, graduated to the BTCC the following year, winning the first round at Silverstone, but had quit driving by the early 90's. I don't think I recall him in prodsaloons before '87, so did he move over from any other series before prodsaloons, or was he just a later starter in racing?

#113 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,669 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 17:47

http://picture-frames.arquatiusa.com/
http://en.wikipedia....(racing_driver)

#114 rx-guru

rx-guru

• 255 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 17:57

Between 1988 and 1992 we had lots of Group A RS500s with 500+bhp engines in the FIA European Rallycross Championships for Drivers. As I cannot upload my own pics straight here I put links to pics on another website:

Posted Image
1988: European Champion Bjørn Skogstad from Norway.
http://www.rallycros..._1988_div1.html

Posted Image
1988: Trevor Reeves from England.

Posted Image
1989: European Champion Kenneth Hansen from Sweden.
http://www.rallycros..._1989_div1.html

http://www.rallycros..._1990_div1.html
http://www.rallycros..._1991_div1.html
http://www.rallycros..._1992_div1.html

More RS500 pics to find here: http://www.fanderallycross.com/ under "Historique 1976-2008" and the years 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1992.

#115 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:53

Here's a few former BTCC cars running in the much-missed Thunderslaloons series which offered them an extended life after the BTCC went supertouring in 1991 (see the separate thread on this series).

Posted Image
The much mentioned Mahoney/Arquati car at Donington in 1991 with Stuart Donan's ex Van Kouwen/JQF FINA car visible far left - said to be putting out 740bhp at this point in 2.4 litre form.

Posted Image
The Arquati car at Castle Combe in 1994 in it's later Laurence Bristow livery.(Not sure if the driver is Crocker or Crockett at this point)

Posted Image
Stuart Jackson's ex Sean Walker/LUK car at Brands in June 93

Posted Image
and the same car a season earlier at Brands still in BTCC livery

#116 962C

962C

• 126 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 17:10

Between 1988 and 1992 we had lots of Group A RS500s with 500+bhp engines in the FIA European Rallycross Championships for Drivers. As I cannot upload my own pics straight here I put links to pics on another website:

http://www.rallycros..._1990_div1.html
http://www.rallycros..._1991_div1.html
http://www.rallycros..._1992_div1.html

More RS500 pics to find here: http://www.fanderallycross.com/ under "Historique 1976-2008" and the years 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1992.

I believe there's a small mistake in the 1989 and 1990 tables: I'm pretty sure Christian Ménier drove a "regular" Ford Sierra RS Cosworth and not an RS500 (and Jacques Privat's book appears to agree with me)

Edited by 962C, 11 November 2009 - 20:07.

#117 rx-guru

rx-guru

• 255 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 20:47

I believe there's a small mistake in the 1989 and 1990 tables: I'm pretty sure Christian Ménier drove a "regular" Ford Sierra RS Cosworth and not an RS500 (and Jacques Privat's book appears to agree with me)

Yep, I think that is correct. In Jacques’ book there are also pics of Christian’s Motorcraft Sierra for 1989 and 1990 with a normal RS Cosworth rear spoiler. And about information on French RX drivers I don’t try to teach Jacques to suck eggs… :lol: I’ll ask Frank Van Rooy to change it. Thanx!

#118 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 22:21

Here's a few former BTCC cars running in the much-missed Thunderslaloons series which offered them an extended life after the BTCC went supertouring in 1991 (see the separate thread on this series).

Lovely photos. I want to do a low-res scan of Amato Ferrari's RS5000 at the Birmingham Superprix in 1990. Could I have your permission to put it up in this thread please?

#119 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 19:01

Could only be David Pinkney  ;)

Posted Image

While from the BRSCC Race & Rally Series I think it is Dave Holland??

Posted Image

PAR

Advertisement

#120 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 20:54

Lovely photos. I want to do a low-res scan of Amato Ferrari's RS5000 at the Birmingham Superprix in 1990. Could I have your permission to put it up in this thread please?

Yes, no problem please go ahead (sorry I missed seeing your question earlier).

#121 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:31

Here is the photo of Amato Ferrari in the Crypton Engineering (ex-Eggenberger) RS500 at the 1990 Birmingham Superprix:

Posted Image

Credits to Simon Lewis.

Edited by bigears, 14 November 2009 - 12:32.

#122 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:57

Brilliant- think that's the first pic I've seen of that car other than the Brands shots I posted a page or two back.

Edited by Kevan, 14 November 2009 - 12:57.

#123 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 13:29

If you want more photos of the 1989 and 1990 BTCC RS500s, let me know. I will scan some more (and beg to Simon for his permission as well!) for you.

#124 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 16:29

If you want more photos of the 1989 and 1990 BTCC RS500s, let me know. I will scan some more (and beg to Simon for his permission as well!) for you.

Yes, please, Mr. Ears and Mr. Lewis. Especially the rarities like Mark Rennison, the Drury cars and Kaj Bornebusch if available.

I was at the 1990 STCC race at Falkenberg, Sweden, where Bertil "Bebban" Engström rolled his RS500 into the infield corn field severly bending his Jan-Åke Söderqvist car. Especially the area around the huge rear opening seemed to have been badly deformed. This has made me wondering how flexible the Sierra 3-door shell was and how it affected the handling.
Tiff Needell reported on one of the Labatt's BTCC cars in Autosport in 1989 and described it as understeering into corner, neutral in the middle and power oversteering out - no surprise about the last bit! From a Rallye-Racing test of an '87 Eggenberger RS500 it is told that a few laps before each pitstop the driver has to slow down a bit to drop the engine temperature and thus avoiding overheating at the stop itself. Anyone with experience of these facts?

Jesper

#125 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 17:59

The road cars flex like mad, if you jack up one corner with the opposite side door open and then try and close the door you notice the deflection. It was a known fault of the inner flitches inside the engine bay and over time they did stress crack. It was remedied in the Mk 2 sierra models.

The shells of the race cars were obviously strengthened and seam welded and the roll cage helped as well, but even they were quite flimsey back then - (ali in the early cars ) and those big openings would still have caused issues no doubt

#126 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 18:31

The road cars flex like mad, if you jack up one corner with the opposite side door open and then try and close the door you notice the deflection. It was a known fault of the inner flitches inside the engine bay and over time they did stress crack. It was remedied in the Mk 2 sierra models.

Certainly worried me the first time I changed a wheel!

#127 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 18:34

I hasten to add, not a Cosworth Sierra, but I drove over 100k miles in a 2 litre, the shell flexing was awesome, bendy toys would have been proud :up:

#128 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 19:49

Yes, please, Mr. Ears and Mr. Lewis. Especially the rarities like Mark Rennison, the Drury cars and Kaj Bornebusch if available.

I was at the 1990 STCC race at Falkenberg, Sweden, where Bertil "Bebban" Engström rolled his RS500 into the infield corn field severly bending his Jan-Åke Söderqvist car. Especially the area around the huge rear opening seemed to have been badly deformed. This has made me wondering how flexible the Sierra 3-door shell was and how it affected the handling.
Tiff Needell reported on one of the Labatt's BTCC cars in Autosport in 1989 and described it as understeering into corner, neutral in the middle and power oversteering out - no surprise about the last bit! From a Rallye-Racing test of an '87 Eggenberger RS500 it is told that a few laps before each pitstop the driver has to slow down a bit to drop the engine temperature and thus avoiding overheating at the stop itself. Anyone with experience of these facts?

Jesper

They certainly always looked a bit of a handful...

Thinking of that STCC shunt you mentioned, Gravett's Trakstar car took a big hit when he tripped over a lapped car (Phil Dowsett's Corolla?) at Snetterton in '89- as I remember it was similar rear-end damage to that you describe?

Edited by Kevan, 14 November 2009 - 20:08.

#129 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 19:54

It was at Thruxton I recall and it was Phil Downsett that he collided with.

It resulted in a small fuel fire at the time!

Anyway, my photo collection is only from the Birmingham Superprix but I will see what I can do with the other events.

#130 RobertS

RobertS

• 64 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 18:02

Behind the Iron-Curtain ;)

I found some old "Made in GDR" ORWO b&w negatives in my archives, the quality is so-so...I will upload a few of them tonight...

Grand Prix Brno 1987
http://www.racingspo...1987-08-16.html

Posted Image
49 - József Cserkuti H & Anton Fischhaber D & Péter Móczár H
7 - Klaus Ludwig D & Klaus Niedzwiedz D
6 - Steve Soper GB & Pierre Dieudonné B

Posted Image

Posted Image
6 - Steve Soper & Pierre Dieudonné

Posted Image

Posted Image
49 - József Cserkuti & Anton Fischhaber & Péter Móczár - 7 - Klaus Ludwig & Klaus Niedzwiedz

Posted Image
7 - Klaus Ludwig & Klaus Niedzwiedz - 6 - Steve Soper & Pierre Dieudonné

Posted Image
11 - Joachim Winkelhock & Frank Biela

Edited by RobertS, 15 November 2009 - 21:21.

#131 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 18:37

Great pics Robert- I always liked the Eggenberger/Texaco colourscheme on an RS500.

Slightly off-topic momment- the Hungarian Cserkuti M3 is the car that famously wasn't disqualified in the first WTCC round at Monza when all of the other M3s (Schnitzer, Linder, Alpina, CiBiEmme etc) were thrown out of the results for illegal bodywork.... http://homepage.mac....20Cserkuti.html

Edited by Kevan, 15 November 2009 - 19:53.

#132 RobertS

RobertS

• 64 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 19:07

Slightly off-topic momment- the Hungarian Cserkuti M3 is the car that famously wasn't disqualified in the first WTCC round at Monzawhen all of the other M3s (Schnitzer, Linder, Alpina, CiBiEmme etc) were thrown out of the results for illegal bodywork.... http://homepage.mac....20Cserkuti.html

Kevan,
Thanks for the info, somehow I did not remember for this.
Also, some colour pics are there from Brno 87 >
http://homepage.mac......987 Brno.html

8 - Andy Rouse & Thierry Tassin
Posted Image

So - all RS500 competitors are here from Brno '87.
Do you know the reason of Rouse's retirement ?
Here:
http://www.racingspo...1987-08-16.html
only basic data > "DNF" run 29 laps

Edited by RobertS, 15 November 2009 - 20:03.

#133 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 19:41

It was at Thruxton I recall and it was Phil Downsett that he collided with.

It was Phil Dowsett, I was looking for photos of the aftermath - I was mechanic'ing for Phil at the time, as a weekend warrior for Tom's GB - to no avail, but I came across these which may be of interest. Oulton Park, '89.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry about the size imageshack is playing silly buggers, no matter how I scan they come out this size... Solved the problem!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 15 November 2009 - 20:00.

#134 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 19:53

A few nice motors there Tony :up:

#135 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 20:01

A few nice motors there Tony :up:

There is something about the RS500 Sterling...

#136 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 20:07

There is something about the RS500 Sterling...

They are monsters!

#137 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 20:17

The trakstar crash is on youtube somewhere, saw it a few months ago but cannot locate it now - I will keep trying and post a link if I find it

edited

just found the link on another site, but the video has been removed from youtube due to copyright sorry, it is on the 1989 season review Video / CD that come up on ebay from time to time

edited

just looking back through the thread and totally forgot a link had already been posted on page 1 :blush:

Edited by PAUL S, 17 November 2009 - 09:59.

#138 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 20:30

I used to have it on video, but nearly all my collection was binned after my divorce! It may be hiding in the loft with the spiders, the owl and the little old woman...

#139 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 20:35

I used to have it on video, but nearly all my collection was binned after my divorce! It may be hiding in the loft with the spiders, the owl and the little old woman...

They just do not get it, do they Tony? What a waste of a perfectly good video :well: Senior management keeps asking me, if I wish to put my media collection (CDs, DVDs, Videos, MDs) in the garage......and just why would I want to do that, say I?

Advertisement

#140 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 21:05

The trakstar crash is on youtube somewhere, saw it a few months ago but cannot locate it now - I will keep trying and post a link if I find it

edited

just found the link on another site, but the video has been removed from youtube due to copyright sorry, it is on the 1988 season review Video / CD that come up on ebay from time to time

In here:

(The accident is at 3.10)

#141 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,768 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 21:10

The shells of the race cars were obviously strengthened and seam welded and the roll cage helped as well, but even they were quite flimsey back then - (ali in the early cars ) and those big openings would still have caused issues no doubt

I was told by a Sierra runner here in Oz that the flexing and cracking was a real problem. He said you were welding up and plating cracks virtually every meeting. Worse than Escort rally cars. Though his car was ex BTCC.

#142 racer2_uk

racer2_uk

• 10 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 22:06

I was told by a Sierra runner here in Oz that the flexing and cracking was a real problem. He said you were welding up and plating cracks virtually every meeting. Worse than Escort rally cars. Though his car was ex BTCC.

Hi Lee, the only welding repair done on my Australian Sierra was to repair the damage after that accident on Youtube.

Andy

#143 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 00:11

In here:

(The accident is at 3.10)

Thanks a lot be, brought back a load of memories, mostly good! Somewhere I have a lot more RS500 pics, just got to find them...

#144 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 17:15

Posted Image

Silverstone 1988?

Edited by Tony Matthews, 16 November 2009 - 17:16.

#145 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 17:16

Hi Andy

nice to see a current owner on this thread.

Here is a nice arty pic of your car that I found

Posted Image

As we got onto the subject of prangs I thought I would call this post " ouch that must have hurt"

please no jokes like " it will polish out"

I am not aware of any of the drivers being seriously hurt, but will be happy to remove any of the pics if requested

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and a rally cosworth "Dukes of Hazard Style"

Posted Image

Edited by PAUL S, 16 November 2009 - 17:35.

#146 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 17:21

On a vaguely similar theme - evening engine change, Silverstone..

Posted Image

#147 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 17:31

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both Brands Hatch August 21st 1988

Edited by Tony Matthews, 16 November 2009 - 17:35.

#148 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 17:38

some great shots Tony, thanks for adding them

#149 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 18:16

As we got onto the subject of prangs I thought I would call this post " ouch that must have hurt"

please no jokes like " it will polish out"

I am not aware of any of the drivers being seriously hurt, but will be happy to remove any of the pics if requested

The Oxo/Olympus/Blast Dynamics car is Andrew Miedecke- think it was a qualifying shunt at Bathurst (the background scenery is a bit of a giveaway!) in either 1988 or 89?

The ICS car of course is Andy Rouse- it's his 1990 car which was displayed in the Museum of British Road Transport for a while about 10 years ago- the shunt happened at a Goodwood Festival. I've got a couple of shots of the car on display at Coventry.

The fire-damaged car is Miedecke again- Lakeside in '89 according to the filename of the pic ;)

The next one is a bit of a mystery to me- the Wurth sponsorship suggests one of the German Wolf Racing RS500s- I've got a vague recollection of one of the Eggenberger ETCC drivers having a big shunt in a DTM race at the Nurburgring- possibly Klaus Niedzwiedz. IIRC, he might have been sidelined for a while with a broken arm as a result? Whoever it is, that was a pretty big hit...

The rallycar is one I don't recognise, other than it's from a French event. The registration no 'D935UOO' appeared on one of the works cars in '87 though.

Edited by Kevan, 16 November 2009 - 18:21.

#150 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 18:27

It was Phil Dowsett, I was looking for photos of the aftermath - I was mechanic'ing for Phil at the time, as a weekend warrior for Tom's GB - to no avail, but I came across these which may be of interest. Oulton Park, '89.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry about the size imageshack is playing silly buggers, no matter how I scan they come out this size... Solved the problem!

Great pics Tony- the first one is one of the Labatt's pair- Laurence Bristow's car I think. One of the GM Dealer Sport Astras (if we're at Oulton, then it's Cleland's, as the second and thirdcars for Louise Aitken-Walker and Jeremy Rossiter didn't appear until later in the seasons) in the background

The second group shot shows the red Brooklyn car of Chris Hodgetts. Next to it is Karl Jones' Duckhams-backed Asquith car, one of the Graham Goode/Listerine pair, and then the Labatt's duo of Bristow and Tim Harvey

Edited by Kevan, 16 November 2009 - 18:28.