Photo

Memories and photos of the RS500s from the '80s

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#151 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 18:33

The next one is a bit of a mystery to me- the Wurth sponsorship suggests one of the German Wolf Racing RS500s- I've got a vague recollection of one of the Eggenberger ETCC drivers having a big shunt in a DTM race at the Nurburgring- possibly Klaus Niedzwiedz. IIRC, he might have been sidelined for a while with a broken arm as a result? Whoever it is, that was a pretty big hit...

The Würth Wolf car was that of Armin Hahne having a serious shunt at the 1989 Eifelrennen at the Nürburgring. Klaus Ludwig spun out on the opening lap with most of the pack avoiding him except poor Hahne, who broke a leg and lucky to survive. Hahne was sidelined the entire summer appearing for the final few meetings in September and October.
Klaus Niedzwiedz had a tire blowing out on him on the Nordschleife in 1988 while traveling at 280 km/h. "Niedze" did indeed brake his arm in that accident.

Jesper

Advertisement

#152 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 18:38

Posted Image

Also Brands, August '88, my own standard Cossie, by a weird coincidence parked next to a white VW Transporter, a later version of which I now drive!

Edited by Tony Matthews, 16 November 2009 - 18:38.

#153 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 18:44

Silverstone 1988?

1989- the two Trakstar cars.

The rest of the pics are:

The 'engine change' shot (I really like that pic- very atmospheric) shows the Graham Goode crew apparently working late on Mike Newman's 'Burlington Wallcoverings' car. I believe Mike still has it, though now in Listerine colours. Goode's Listerine car (seen in your next pic) lurks under the awning on the RH side of the pic. The colour of Graham's cars changed almost every year during the 4 years of the Listerine deal- 1987's car was grey I think, 1988, seen here in white, and finally black for 1989/90 (on both Goode and Newman's cars).
The white car is now in Australia, although it's now wearing it's 1989-season FAI Automotive sponsorship, as raced by Sean Walker and Damon Hill

Final pic shows Graham Hathaway's distinctive yellow Soans car. Going off-topic, the red M3 next to it is Alan Minshaw's 'Demon Tweeks' car- I think handled on this occasion by the late Roland Ratzenberger. Alan stepped down from the drive after the first few rounds, Roland taking over for much of the rest of the season

#154 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 18:47

The Würth Wolf car was that of Armin Hahne having a serious shunt at the 1989 Eifelrennen at the Nürburgring. Klaus Ludwig spun out on the opening lap with most of the pack avoiding him except poor Hahne, who broke a leg and lucky to survive. Hahne was sidelined the entire summer appearing for the final few meetings in September and October.
Klaus Niedzwiedz had a tire blowing out on him on the Nordschleife in 1988 while traveling at 280 km/h. "Niedze" did indeed brake his arm in that accident.

Jesper

Thanks Jesper- I half-remembered the Niedzwiedz shunt, but I'd forgotten about the Hahne one. Which team was 'Niedze' driving for at the time? I can never remember who drove for which team of the various DTM Ford outfits without looking it up

Accidents apart, a Group A RS500 must have been an entertaining ride on the Nordschleife....

Edited by Kevan, 16 November 2009 - 18:50.

#155 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 19:35

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rather poor scans from transparencies - the best colour scheme in my opinion.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 16 November 2009 - 19:38.

#156 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 20:16

I certainly wouldn't argue with that point Tony- there was just something about the Eggenberger/Texaco paintscheme on an RS500 that just looked so menacing.....

1988 Silverstone TT?

The second pic is interesting, showing the #1 and #3 cars- I'd forgotten that Eggenberger fielded a third car to support their championship hopes, and had to look up who drove the third car. It's presence didn't help much on the day, as first Mr Johnson, then Mr Rouse intervened.

#1= Klaus Niedzwiedz/Klaus Ludwig
#2= Steve Soper/Pierre Dieudonne
#3= Bernd Schneider/Gianfranco Brancatelli

They finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th behind the Rouse/Ferte Kaliber car (in the order #2, #1, #3) and the championship went the way of Ravaglia and BMW
http://homepage.mac....ilverstone.html

Ironically, Eggenberger's occasional visits to the BTCC probably made a fairly big contribution to Rouse losing out to Sytner's BMW in his championship battle- Rouse beat Soper at Donington a couple of weeks after the TT, but Brancatelli took the last round at Silverstone after Rouse pitted with a puncture, coming home 10th ...

Edited by Kevan, 16 November 2009 - 20:18.

#157 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 21:08

Ironically, Eggenberger's occasional visits to the BTCC probably made a fairly big contribution to Rouse losing out to Sytner's BMW in his championship battle- Rouse beat Soper at Donington a couple of weeks after the TT, but Brancatelli took the last round at Silverstone after Rouse pitted with a puncture, coming home 10th ...

In fact, Phil Dowsett/Tom's - us! - were in with a shout too. Just before the start one of the other mechs said "What a shame we don't stand a chance..." I said "All it takes is one puncture, and one mis-fire..." Well, we got the puncture, but not the mis-fire, that bloody M3 just went round and round...

#158 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 21:15

Thanks Jesper- I half-remembered the Niedzwiedz shunt, but I'd forgotten about the Hahne one. Which team was 'Niedze' driving for at the time? I can never remember who drove for which team of the various DTM Ford outfits without looking it up

Accidents apart, a Group A RS500 must have been an entertaining ride on the Nordschleife....

Niedzwiedz raced for the Ringshausen team during the 1988 DTM, incidentally in Texaco colors just like he did for Eggenberger in the ETCC. Looking it up, Manuel Reuter was his team mate at Ringshausen, while Steve Soper subbed for a recovering Niedzwiedz.
Lots of excellent pictures has popped up in the last few days.

Jesper

#159 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 21:26

In fact, Phil Dowsett/Tom's - us! - were in with a shout too. Just before the start one of the other mechs said "What a shame we don't stand a chance..." I said "All it takes is one puncture, and one mis-fire..." Well, we got the puncture, but not the mis-fire, that bloody M3 just went round and round...

True- I'd forgotten Phil Dowsett was in contention for the title to the end- in fact, I've just looked it up, and the final championship table finished Sytner-Dowsett-Rouse.

Incidentally, wasn't the TOM'S Corolla sold to Australia in the end? The car has been discussed quite a bit on the Ten-Tenths forum, where the present owner is a fairly regular poster

Advertisement

#160 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 21:51

Here's a crappy snap of Dick Johnson at Silverstone

Posted Image

Graham Goode at Brands in 1987 - not sure of the exact date.
Posted Image
Rouse at the same event
Posted Image
Team Mate/Sponsor Pete Hall
Posted Image
Rouse & Sytner
Posted Image

#161 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 22:32

Posted Image

Also Brands, August '88, my own standard Cossie, by a weird coincidence parked next to a white VW Transporter, a later version of which I now drive!

Tony - that number plate rings a bell, I am sure I have seen a pic of it recently. PVW cars were Ford registered press cars I believe

Edited by PAUL S, 16 November 2009 - 22:33.

#162 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 22:41

Here's a crappy snap of Dick Johnson at Silverstone

Posted Image

Graham Goode at Brands in 1987 - not sure of the exact date.
Posted Image
Rouse at the same event
Posted Image
Team Mate/Sponsor Pete Hall
Posted Image
Rouse & Sytner
Posted Image

Brands pics are from late July or thereabouts I think- it was the round after the Silverstone GP meeting (the Sytner M3 made it's debut at Silverstone). Rouse only appeared in a few BTCC rounds in the 'ICS' car, mainly concentrating on his WTCC campaign in the red 'Batibouw/Giroflex' car, shared with Thierry Tassin). Win Percy also had a run out in a Rouse Cosworth, winning the GP support race
Goode's original grey Listerine Cosworth was written off later that season at Silverstone, during either pre-race testing or qualifying for the TT

#163 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 00:04

Tony - that number plate rings a bell, I am sure I have seen a pic of it recently. PVW cars were Ford registered press cars I believe

Ah well! It was an ex-Press Fleet car, but I still have the car, stored in a barn, awaiting the Second Coming! However, I had a nasty letter from the Police about ten years ago, saying that my car had been seen in London with no tax-disc - even though it had been off the road for five years at that time!

#164 JSDSKI

JSDSKI

• 1,439 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 00:11

Ah well! It was an ex-Press Fleet car, but I still have the car, stored in a barn, awaiting the Second Coming! However, I had a nasty letter from the Police about ten years ago, saying that my car had been seen in London with no tax-disc - even though it had been off the road for five years at that time!

Pardon my interruption of this thread. I'm trying to reach Tony Matthews but his pm box is full. Tony, please contact me through pm. I'm very interested in obtaining a print of the Leda / McRae F5000 car seen in a different thread. Thanks.

#165 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:18

Nice one Tony, prices are rising steadily on them these days, especially the standard un molested ones, and the RS500 road versions have gone through the roof price wise

Ive also got a standard 3dr cosworth stashed away in my garage in white, comes out in the summer though.

The old boy racer in me though always wanted a touring car version, so I have gathered together all the RS500 parts Tickford used to convert the 3drs to 500 spec both mechanically and bodywise and I plan to transform it one day, I even have a set of these to go on it, I dont plan to sticker it up though, Im not that bad.

Posted Image

this ones close, but I am sure I saw yours in an Autocar or similar road test from 1986

Posted Image

Edited by PAUL S, 17 November 2009 - 11:19.

#166 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:07

Here is a photo of Armin talking to Jeff Allam at the 1989 Nurburgring Nordshleife DTM round.

Posted Image
as you can see he is on crutches after the earlier accident.

Posted Image
Frank Biela during practice for the same race.

Posted Image
Brancatelli.

DTM at the Nordschleife :love:

glyn

Edited by glyn parham, 17 November 2009 - 10:27.

#167 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:21

Alain Ferte raced in the DTM too that year in this car.
Posted Image

Whilst in France he raced an ARE version
Posted Image
Posted Image

Glyn

#168 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:25

Meanwhile back in the UK here are a couple of shots of Dennis Leach and his RS500.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Taken at Brands Hatch on 9 August 1990.

Glyn

Edited by glyn parham, 17 November 2009 - 10:26.

#169 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:35

From the 1988 Spa 24 hours some RS500's not usually seen mixing it with Rudi Eggenburgers finest.
Posted Image
Rallyman Ballot-Lena teams up with Georges Cremer in 1988.

Posted Image
Bornebusch

Posted Image
Italian cars of Castagna and Toffoli

Glyn

#170 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:41

1989 Spa RS500's

Posted Image
Brancatelli tries to save weight?

Posted Image
Rene Metge

Posted Image
Patrick Slaus

Glyn

#171 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:46

1990 Spa 24 hours

Posted Image
Schneider rests his arm during a pace car period

Posted Image
Belgian veteran Eddie Joosen.

Glyn

#172 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:17

wow Glyn, some rare ones there :up:

this thread just keeps getting better, I thought we would be lucky to get to a page or 2

#173 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:39

Great stuff Glyn- Dennis Leech's car is one I've seen very few pics of, I've got one I took myself and I've maybe seen a couple more on the web.

Ferte's Rouse/Ford France car is another rarely-seen one (in that guise at least- IIRC, it was a fairly well-travelled car- I think it was also the 'ANZ' car Rouse shared with Thierry Tassin & Allan Moffatt at Bathust in '87

I'd forgotten the Eggenberger/Bastos cars- I can never get used to Eggenberger cars in anything but the black 'Texaco' colours for some reason....

...and it's nice to see some of the lesser-known European cars- Imberti, Bornebusch, Ballot-Lena's Luigi Racing car etc

#174 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:51

Great stuff Glyn- Dennis Leech's car is one I've seen very few pics of, I've got one I took myself and I've maybe seen a couple more on the web.

Thanks for the comments Kevan, I will post some more from the 1989 DTM tonight if I get time and if you are interested some more of the Ferte car as well. :wave:

Glyn

#175 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 13:06

Ferte's Rouse/Ford France car is another rarely-seen one (in that guise at least- IIRC, it was a fairly well-travelled car- I think it was also the 'ANZ' car Rouse shared with Thierry Tassin & Allan Moffatt at Bathust in '87

Yes its the same car, was converted to lhd when it went to France, then ended up in Martin Johnstons collection back in its ANZ colours, then sold back to Aus and I think may have now gone back to rhd over there

#176 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,671 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 13:32

Good Friday 1990 Oulton Park

Posted Image
Posted Image
Rob Gravett
Posted Image
Posted Image
Andy Rouse
Posted Image
Tim Harvey
Posted Image
Posted Image
Lawrence Bristow, shadowing Sean Walker in the second pic

#177 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 14:03

Yes its the same car, was converted to lhd when it went to France, then ended up in Martin Johnstons collection back in its ANZ colours, then sold back to Aus and I think may have now gone back to rhd over there

Thanks for confirming that Paul- I knew the 'ANZ' car was now back in Australia (and, yes, I think it has been converted back to rhd) but wasn't sure it had also been the Ford France car without searching back through the Ten-Tenths RS500 threads. I think it first appeared as the second Rouse car at Spa in '87, before going to Bathurst?

#178 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 14:58

The Andy Rouse/Ford France collaboration only excisted during 1988 - the car had a visit in Denmark in late August, Thorkild Thyrring driving.

Jesper

#179 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 15:48

Posted Image
Hathaway's ex Trackstar/DJR car at Brands for the 1990 2-driver event

Posted Image
Andy Middleghurst at Silverstone in 91 with his supertouring-spec version

Posted Image

Dennis Leech again, Snetterton 91.

Advertisement

#180 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:15

The colour of Graham's cars changed almost every year during the 4 years of the Listerine deal- 1987's car was grey I think, 1988, seen here in white, and finally black for 1989/90 (on both Goode and Newman's cars).

Anyone remember the name of the Listerine dragon that used to parade on the grid just before the start? Bloody great pink foam-rubber job, so probably not real. I think I can remember it, but I'm not certain... No prize.

#181 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:24

True- I'd forgotten Phil Dowsett was in contention for the title to the end- in fact, I've just looked it up, and the final championship table finished Sytner-Dowsett-Rouse.

Incidentally, wasn't the TOM'S Corolla sold to Australia in the end? The car has been discussed quite a bit on the Ten-Tenths forum, where the present owner is a fairly regular poster

It was sold to Bob Holden, and two of us went out to 'oversee' the running of it at Bathurst in 1990. We didn't do a lot as Bob had his own guys, but there one or two issues that we were able to help with. Unfortunately we were too late to alter the mischief done to the wheels, which led to the Right Front detaching itself on the corkscrew just after Forrest's Elbow. It was a lovely little car.

#182 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 249 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:28

Just been watching my copy of the BBC's highlights of the '89 GP support race, and if there was ever any doubt that Silverstone in its old form wasn't a power circuit, the fact that the top 13 (!) qualifiers were all RS500's should put that right!

Slightly O/T, for the race, the BTCC obviously used the new left-right chicane after the Daily Express bridge, but they also used the old Woodcote chicane as well. Does anyone know why this would be? The GP race obviously only used the new chicane, and they would have been doing considerably more MPH than the touring cars by the time they got to the old chicane, so why were the BTCC boys made to use both? Can anyone recall another race that used this configuration of the circuit?

As an aside, although i can't find a list of qualifying or race laptimes for the BTCC race, Murray Walker says that eventual winner Andy Rouse posted a fastest lap of 1m38 during the early stages of the race. Even if no one improved on that, and allowing for maybe 3 seconds to negotiate the old Woodcote chicane, his fastest race laptime would have put him only a handful of seconds off an F3 cars laptime around the old Silverstone (about 1m29 qualifying in the late 90's). Thats getting a move on for a saloon car... :stoned:

#183 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:39

Posted Image
Andy Middleghurst at Silverstone in 91 with his supertouring-spec version

Posted Image

Dennis Leech again, Snetterton 91.

Interesting to see Dennis Leech's car in '91- this was the last RS500 to appear in the series. The change-over to the 2-litre normally-aspirated rules (such as Middlehurst's Goode Sierra above) did allow the over 2-litre cars to continue in a restricted form for the first year- Can anyone remember exactly how the restriction was applied? I can't remember if it was turbo boost, minimum weight, tyre sizes or a combination of these?

The future for the Sierra appeared to be the 4-door Sapphire saloon in 2-litre form. Andy Rouse had prepared one for Ray Bellm in 1990, which had a troubled season, missing a couple of races before Bellm called time on it mid-season, although Chris Hodgetts took it over for the last couple of races.

A heavily-Shell backed Trakstar effort in 1991 with a radically engineered Sapphire proved to be little more successful, an unexpected 2nd place at Brands being the high point- the car usually struggled to break into the top 10
http://www.stillphot...c91_07.jpg.html

Dave Brodie also tried the Sapphire route, although his was 4wd as I remember- but no more successful
http://www.stillphot...c91_12.jpg.html

The Leech RS500 did the first few rounds in '91, before being shunted at Thruxton- Dennis wasn't seen again until the middle of the 1992 season, when he returned with a 2-litre Sierra similar to Middlehurst's, running in his trademark black & orange colours, rather than the white of the RS500. However, the car was never close to being competitive
http://www.stillphot...brey_w.jpg.html

The final Sierra BTCC appearances were in 1993 by Jim Wheals and Bob Berridge in the ex-Bellm Rouse Sapphire from 1990. Wheals appeared once early season, before selling the car to Berridge who did the second half of the year- the car remained rooted firmly to the bottom of the timesheets. Anyway, by then the Mondeo had arrived...

Edited by Kevan, 17 November 2009 - 19:36.

#184 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:40

Anyone remember the name of the Listerine dragon that used to parade on the grid just before the start? Bloody great pink foam-rubber job, so probably not real. I think I can remember it, but I'm not certain... No prize.

Clifford?

#185 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 18:47

Clifford?

Posted Image

Yup, it is Clifford indeed.

#186 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 19:07

Clifford?

Kevan and bigears - award yourselves the CDM!

#187 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 19:45

Posted Image

Yup, it is Clifford indeed.

Slightly off-topic: It's obviously Bimingham, and 1989. The Sierras are (in order) Mike Newman, Robb Gravett and Jerry Mahony, but how about the M3s behind them.

First up, tucked in behind the Arquati Sierra is one of the Prodrive pair- Sytner or Weaver, I can't tell, the next one might be Ian Forrest's 'Drambuie' car, but the blue spotted one in the background. Any offers?
I thought it might be John Clark's car, but I'm not sure. He's not on the only version of the '89 Birmingham result that I've got, but I know it's an incomplete one

#188 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 19:56

Slightly off-topic: It's obviously Bimingham, and 1989. The Sierras are (in order) Mike Newman, Robb Gravett and Jerry Mahony, but how about the M3s behind them.

First up, tucked in behind the Arquati Sierra is one of the Prodrive pair- Sytner or Weaver, I can't tell, the next one might be Ian Forrest's 'Drambuie' car, but the blue spotted one in the background. Any offers?
I thought it might be John Clark's car, but I'm not sure. He's not on the only version of the '89 Birmingham result that I've got, but I know it's an incomplete one

Could the second M3 be this car :confused:

Posted Image

PAR

#189 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 20:02

Thanks Phil- it's definitely that one, Ian Forrest. I'd forgotten that his longtime sponsor, Drambuie weren't the main sponsor on the M3

Edited by Kevan, 17 November 2009 - 20:03.

#190 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 22:10

As promised here are some more photos from the 1989 DTM at the Nurburgring.
Posted Image
Pierre Dieudonne

Posted Image
Niedzwiedz and Asch

Posted Image
And finally Niedzwiedz again but in the 24 hour race.

Glyn

Edited by glyn parham, 17 November 2009 - 22:12.

#191 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 310 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 22:16

Some more photos of the Rouse built Ferte car from France.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Glyn

#192 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,778 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 22:35

I seem to remember Alan moffat had both left and r/h drive cars at one stage. I have no idea of any history though.

#193 racer2_uk

racer2_uk

• 10 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 22:40

I seem to remember Alan moffat had both left and r/h drive cars at one stage. I have no idea of any history though.

Hi Lee,

Alan Moffat had a Rouse ANZ car first '88 ? and then Eggenberger ANZ car's, that maybe the LH/RH '89 ?

Andy

Edited by racer2_uk, 17 November 2009 - 22:40.

#194 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 22:41

In order:

Newman, Gravett, Mahony, Sytner (as he had the blue headlights whereas Weaver had the red ones) John Llwellyn, John Clark (he is #31) and possibly another Sierra lurking right behind the marshal post?

Possibly Mike Smith? So I think it is during qualifying or a practice session since Mike Smith crashed his car on the first lap of the 1989 BTCC race.

Edited by bigears, 17 November 2009 - 22:45.

#195 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 271 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:55

The Johnson car just doesn't look right with headlights. It never had any when it was racing. :smoking:

Someone else has already mentioned that the Shell cars had the headlamps fitted during the 1987 season, and given that the 28 car at Bathurst that year (which IIRC was the SIlverstone car) ran without covers, with headlights in place, one might assume that they were present in 1988 as well.

From memory, there were relatively few running the OEM units in 1991 (I think I've seen a photo of Brock's car sans front panelling and it might've had a pair of small Hella-easque foggies fitted behind an opaque panel where the headlights would usually be), but I think there was a crackdown on it for the final Australian Group A year in 1992, and they had to run all the proper stuff.

Urban legend suggests circa 700-ish bhp for the Johnson cars in 1992, and at one stage, an ingenious pendulum-and-inertia anit-lock brake-proportioning system that they were told to remove quickly.

DJ apparently used his black RS500 road car as a bit of a testbed... certainly there are some local hoons who will assert that it was a very rapid little car...

#196 racer2_uk

racer2_uk

• 10 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:12

[quote name='Hank the Deuce' date='Nov 18 2009, 06:55' post='3999497']
Someone else has already mentioned that the Shell cars had the headlamps fitted during the 1987 season, and given that the 28 car at Bathurst that year (which IIRC was the SIlverstone car) ran without covers, with headlights in place, one might assume that they were present in 1988 as well.

Hi Hank,

Johnson didn't have the number 28 car in the '87 race, they had 17, 18 and 28 in the '88 race and 28 finished 2nd, it was not the Silverstone TT car either, I have the '88 2nd place car which is DJR1, it was DJR3 that came to the UK.

I hope that help's.

Andy

#197 La Sarthe

La Sarthe

• 103 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 18:40

Technically not RS500s, but the first Sierra Cosworths arrived in the British Saloon Car Championship in 1987. Round 2 was at the Oulton Park Gold Cup meeting on 17th April where just two Cossies were entered, out of a poor field of just 14 cars.

First off, here's Graham Goode's example going down the inside of Mike Newman's BMW 635CSi.

Posted Image

This car was Pete Hall's, seen here going side by side through Lodge with Graham Scarborough's Rover Vitesse. Note the spectator just wearing shorts - was this really Easter at Oulton? :eek:

Posted Image

Peter

#198 La Sarthe

La Sarthe

• 103 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 19:00

As already mentioned on here, as well as the British Saloon Car Championship, RS Cosworths also debuted in the UK production saloon championships in 1987, some of which made occasional appearances in the BSCC later in the year to make up the numbers. These photos were taken at the Uniroyal Prodsaloon round at Castle Combe on 25th May where 8 Cossies started, many featuring drivers who would soon make their mark on the BSCC.

First up is Dave Morgan (the ex-GP driver I assume?) passing Mike Smith into Quarry corner

Posted Image

Next is Arquati-sponsored Jerry Mahony

Posted Image

Laurence Bristow here gets a bit of opposite lock on.

Posted Image

Sean Brown (whatever happened to him?) passes Mike Smith - note the body roll; they're definitely prodsaloons :)

Posted Image

The future star that was Robb Gravett is seen here

Posted Image

Finally, seen in the paddock is the Cosworth of Peter Sugden, of whom I have no recollection at all, although the grid positions seem to indicate that he was a way bit slower than the other Cossie pedellers.

Posted Image

If anyone's interested, Robb Gravett won from Sean Brown and Dave Morgan.

Peter

#199 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 20:07

Technically not RS500s, but the first Sierra Cosworths arrived in the British Saloon Car Championship in 1987. Round 2 was at the Oulton Park Gold Cup meeting on 17th April where just two Cossies were entered, out of a poor field of just 14 cars.

First off, here's Graham Goode's example going down the inside of Mike Newman's BMW 635CSi.

Posted Image

This car was Pete Hall's, seen here going side by side through Lodge with Graham Scarborough's Rover Vitesse. Note the spectator just wearing shorts - was this really Easter at Oulton? :eek:

Posted Image

Peter

Great shots Peter- The arrival of the Cosworth and M3 really did bring about a big change, making the older generation of cars obselete almost overnight. The new cars wouldn't have it quite all their own way in the BTCC though, with Newman's 635, and Dennis Leech and Tim Harvey's Rovers all taking wins by the end of the year. A year later, Dennis was still battling on with the Rover, but Newman and Harvey would both have joined the RS500 ranks.

Only 14 cars here at Oulton, but 1987 was the beginning of the revival of the series- not just the appearance of new cars in the form of the three Cosworths of Rouse (probably absent here due to WTCC commitments?), Hall and Goode, but a much-needed influx of new blood for the top class in the Rovers of Scarborough, Harvey and Dave Carvell, plus Mike O'Brien's Holden which debuted here. The M3 was yet to make an impact, Sytner not getting his Prodrive car until mid-season.

Edited by Kevan, 18 November 2009 - 20:07.

Advertisement

#200 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 20:18

As already mentioned on here, as well as the British Saloon Car Championship, RS Cosworths also debuted in the UK production saloon championships in 1987, some of which made occasional appearances in the BSCC later in the year to make up the numbers. These photos were taken at the Uniroyal Prodsaloon round at Castle Combe on 25th May where 8 Cossies started, many featuring drivers who would soon make their mark on the BSCC.

As you said (and we've seen pics of some of them earlier in the thread), Morgan, Smith, Gravett and Mahony all joined the Group A crowd at the GP meeting. Bristow would join the latter three in the BTCC full-time the next season.
Interesting to see Gravett's car early season with just Robbco sponsorship- Mahony's Arquati backing would be extended to Gravett's car later in the year.