Memories and photos of the RS500s from the '80s

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#201 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 271 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:18

Hi Hank,

Johnson didn't have the number 28 car in the '87 race, they had 17, 18 and 28 in the '88 race and 28 finished 2nd, it was not the Silverstone TT car either, I have the '88 2nd place car which is DJR1, it was DJR3 that came to the UK.

I hope that help's.

Andy

I did make a bit of a fundamental slip with the year, Andy! :blush: IIRC tho', it was 18 which finished 2nd at Bathurst, which ties it in as your car (contemporary reports listed 18 as the oldest of the three DJR Bathurst cars that year, and commandeered by Johnson/Bowe after the failures of #17 and #28, in which Bowe started the race, IIRC).

Hope your car is bringing you all they joy it brought me when it was doing its thing here!

Hank T'Deuce,
Unabashed DJR Fan from the Last Century

Advertisement

#202 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:13

I did make a bit of a fundamental slip with the year, Andy! :blush: IIRC tho', it was 18 which finished 2nd at Bathurst, which ties it in as your car (contemporary reports listed 18 as the oldest of the three DJR Bathurst cars that year, and commandeered by Johnson/Bowe after the failures of #17 and #28, in which Bowe started the race, IIRC).

Hope your car is bringing you all they joy it brought me when it was doing its thing here!

Hank T'Deuce,
Unabashed DJR Fan from the Last Century

Talking to John Smith just after that Bathurst and he jokingly said that he came past the pits and they showed him a board with "Bowe Out"
The next lap he came past and the sign said "Dick's Out"
The next lap the sign said "You're Out"

#203 racer2_uk

racer2_uk

• 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:38

Hi Hank, Cat and all,

Thanks for that Hank, I alway's guessed that the knacker rented out for the day would have ben given the "not usual" number.

It has given me pleasure and fear for 13 year's now.

Posted Image

Andy

#204 962C

962C

• 126 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 21:15

Yep, I think that is correct. In Jacques’ book there are also pics of Christian’s Motorcraft Sierra for 1989 and 1990 with a normal RS Cosworth rear spoiler. And about information on French RX drivers I don’t try to teach Jacques to suck eggs… :lol: I’ll ask Frank Van Rooy to change it. Thanx!

Here's a picture of this car in 89 at the French Championship round in Le Creusot
Posted Image

#205 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 21:38

This is Christian Meniers RS500 as it is today, painted up as a showcar in Texaco colours but still complete

Posted Image

#206 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 271 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 22:22

Talking to John Smith just after that Bathurst and he jokingly said that he came past the pits and they showed him a board with "Bowe Out"
The next lap he came past and the sign said "Dick's Out"
The next lap the sign said "You're Out"

ROFL :rotfl:

Quite a shame that Smithy and Alfie didn't get a fair day in the car, the thought of that pair in a DJR Sierra was a happy one at the start of the day...

It has given me pleasure and fear for 13 year's now.

Glad to hear it, and doesn't it look a treat?!? :clap:

#207 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:26

Not very good pics I'm afraid, but they show a couple of RS500s I don't think we've seen so far, though one at least has been mentioned

First up, in the Marlboro-esque colours, is the 'ECM Vehicle Delivery' car which appeared in a few 1988 rounds, shared between Tom Bell and Ray MacDowell. Road-registered, it also appeared in Thundersaloons and I think club racing in Scotland

Posted Image

Second, Lawrence Bristow's 1988 Rouse car in CAM Shipping colours- seen at the TT

Posted Image

Edited by Kevan, 21 November 2009 - 10:37.

#208 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:42

Ladies and Gentlemen " Team Kaliber " :eek:

Posted Image

Andy Rouse in typical "press - on" style.......

Posted Image

.....while Guy Edwards joins the select group of drivers who have driven in a Grand Prix and a BTCC race. But that's for another thread :)

PAR

#209 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 13:37

talking of ex F1 drivers who pedalled the RS500 as well, heres old Tiffany giving it a go

#210 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 579 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 23:33

Ladies and Gentlemen " Team Kaliber " :eek:

Posted Image

Andy Rouse in typical "press - on" style.......

Posted Image

.....while Guy Edwards joins the select group of drivers who have driven in a Grand Prix and a BTCC race. But that's for another thread :)

PAR

Oulton Park 1989 by any chance? In 2000 I was on vacation in London and went into a pub for a pint. Before entry I saw a Kaliber sign over the front door and asked for a round of those for my mates and I at the bar, remembering the ARE cars of a decade earlier. The bar maid/girl was a bit perplexed by my order. Her boss overheard the order and showed her were to find the Kaliber NON-ALCOHOL :stoned: beers and to some amusement we were served our round of almost beer.

The Dick Johnson seven spoke rims has been mentioned before in this thread. Why did DJR manufacture their own rims, having run BBS' before that? Pride of doing it themselves or any performance gain? Rival RS500 entrant/racer Peter Brock used the DJR rims during the later part of the 1990 season with the DJR letters grinded off, I'm told.

Jesper

Edited by Jesper O. Hansen, 22 November 2009 - 00:12.

#211 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:07

The Dick Johnson seven spoke rims has been mentioned before in this thread. Why did DJR manufacture their own rims, having run BBS' before that? Pride of doing it themselves or any performance gain? Rival RS500 entrant/racer Peter Brock used the DJR rims during the later part of the 1990 season with the DJR letters grinded off, I'm told.

Jesper

It could be worth a PM to forum member Kaydee about the wheels.  ;)

#212 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:57

It could be worth a PM to forum member Kaydee about the wheels. ;)

or racer2_uk I am sure I have seen DJR1 running both the BBS split rims and the Gold 7 spokes since its resto

#213 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 13:08

Oulton Park 1989 by any chance? In 2000 I was on vacation in London and went into a pub for a pint. Before entry I saw a Kaliber sign over the front door and asked for a round of those for my mates and I at the bar, remembering the ARE cars of a decade earlier. The bar maid/girl was a bit perplexed by my order. Her boss overheard the order and showed her were to find the Kaliber NON-ALCOHOL :stoned: beers and to some amusement we were served our round of almost beer.

Jesper

Jesper: quite right with regards to the date and location..........after your round of Kaliber I do hope you redeemed yourself with a second round of another BTCC sponsor's product ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

PAR

#214 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 13:42

Jesper: quite right with regards to the date and location..........after your round of Kaliber I do hope you redeemed yourself with a second round of another BTCC sponsor's product ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

PAR

Great stuff Phil. By the following year, Labatt's were strongly pushing the 'Don't Drink and Drive' message on the cars. I suspect they wouldn't even be allowed as a BTCC sponsor these days....

Slightly O/T, IIRC, Kaliber wasn't the only alcohol-free beer to appear on a BTCC car- didn't Tony Crudgington's Corolla have sponsorship from Clausthaler at one point?

http://www.vinoebirr...Clausthaler.jpg

Edited by Kevan, 22 November 2009 - 14:28.

#215 racer2_uk

racer2_uk

• 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 14:36

Hi Jesper and all'

I don't know the reason behind DJR's move to the one piece cast wheel but cost alway's seem's to be involved and the import of expensive European wheel's plus taxes maybe the answer, I have a set of the DJR cast wheel's but my car never ran them originally, I think it was the '89/'90 Australian season they appeared, I have also seen a set of these wheel's on the Brock sierra and they look the same except the DJR logo wasn't cast in.

Andy

#216 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 579 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 14:45

Brands pics are from late July or thereabouts I think- it was the round after the Silverstone GP meeting (the Sytner M3 made it's debut at Silverstone). Rouse only appeared in a few BTCC rounds in the 'ICS' car, mainly concentrating on his WTCC campaign in the red 'Batibouw/Giroflex' car, shared with Thierry Tassin). Win Percy also had a run out in a Rouse Cosworth, winning the GP support race
Goode's original grey Listerine Cosworth was written off later that season at Silverstone, during either pre-race testing or qualifying for the TT

The race was held on Saturday July 25 1987 as support to the World Sports-Car Championship. For some reason Graham Goode never featured in this race, starting 10th and finishing 15th / 7th in class. Any reason for this off song performance?
Three weeks later Goode and Eggenberger won their classes at Donington and Brno respectively, being the first RS500 victories to my knowledge. Goode was beaten overall by the Frank Sytner BMW M3, while the Klauses Ludwig and Niedzwiedz was handed the Czech victory by teammates Steve Soper and Pierre Diedonné after a puncture.
The Goode RS500 was written off in a Friday practice shunt for the TT, noting that Ray Bellm was his co-driver. At the time Bellm was having a sabatical from group C, looking a bit further.

Jesper

#217 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 16:42

The race was held on Saturday July 25 1987 as support to the World Sports-Car Championship. For some reason Graham Goode never featured in this race, starting 10th and finishing 15th / 7th in class. Any reason for this off song performance?
Three weeks later Goode and Eggenberger won their classes at Donington and Brno respectively, being the first RS500 victories to my knowledge. Goode was beaten overall by the Frank Sytner BMW M3, while the Klauses Ludwig and Niedzwiedz was handed the Czech victory by teammates Steve Soper and Pierre Diedonné after a puncture.
The Goode RS500 was written off in a Friday practice shunt for the TT, noting that Ray Bellm was his co-driver. At the time Bellm was having a sabatical from group C, looking a bit further.

Jesper

Not sure what happened to Goode at Brands, presumably some kind of problem during the race- although the notes I had appear to have him as a DNF- I'll check, as I'm sure I've got a few minor gaps and errors in my 1987 results...

I'm pretty sure I was at the Donington race, though I seem to have lost the race programme over the years

As you say, the result was

• Sytner (M3)
  • Goode (Sierra)
  • Dennis Leech (Rover)
  • Pete Hall (Sierra)
  • Graham Scarborough (Rover)
  • Mike Newman (635)
  • Kevin Eaton (Nissan Bluebird Turbo)
  • Jon Dooley (Alfa 75)

The tide had definitely turned in favour of the newer cars, although Mike Newman's 635 would unexpectedly take the next round, the Oulton 1-hour race, after both regular Sierras and the M3 broke, it would be the last non-RS500 BTCC race win until 1991, when Will Hoy won the first round fully under the new 2-litre regs...

Edited by Kevan, 22 November 2009 - 16:48.

#218 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 579 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 18:35

Not sure what happened to Goode at Brands, presumably some kind of problem during the race- although the notes I had appear to have him as a DNF- I'll check, as I'm sure I've got a few minor gaps and errors in my 1987 results...

I'm pretty sure I was at the Donington race, though I seem to have lost the race programme over the years

As you say, the result was

• Sytner (M3)
  • Goode (Sierra)
  • Dennis Leech (Rover)
  • Pete Hall (Sierra)
  • Graham Scarborough (Rover)
  • Mike Newman (635)
  • Kevin Eaton (Nissan Bluebird Turbo)
  • Jon Dooley (Alfa 75)

The tide had definitely turned in favour of the newer cars, although Mike Newman's 635 would unexpectedly take the next round, the Oulton 1-hour race, after both regular Sierras and the M3 broke, it would be the last non-RS500 BTCC race win until 1991, when Will Hoy won the first round fully under the new 2-litre regs...

1987 also marked a late Rover Vitesse surge to the top. Since 1984 the model had won no victories except the 1986 Brands Hatch GP support race, in what Major Tom has descriped as an old "test hack".

Jesper

#219 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 18:57

1987 also marked a late Rover Vitesse surge to the top. Since 1984 the model had won no victories except the 1986 Brands Hatch GP support race, in what Major Tom has descriped as an old "test hack".

Jesper

I thought there were a couple, both at Brands- Walkinshaw's appearance with the 'test hack', (an unsignwritten Bastos car) which was in '85, and then a 1-2 by Allam and Schlesser at the '86 GP meeting- the cars were plain white with 'Herbie Clips' sponsorship- There are pics in the 'Group A one-offs' thread.

1987 definitely saw more Rover success than there had been for a while though, as well as a sharp increase in numbers- Harvey and Leech both won races, while Graham Scarborough, Dave Carvell, Brian Chatfield and Bill Griffin also appeared

Advertisement

#220 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 579 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 19:26

My mistake. The "Test hack" victory might have been from the 1985 Brands Hatch victory. But otherwise Frank Sytner and Mike Newman won a pair of victories for BMW and so did David Brodie for Mitsubishi. Pete Hall had a solitary win in his Ford Sierra XR4Ti, but the remaining 12 period victories went to Andy Rouse, Ford Sierra.

Jesper

#221 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 20:27

My mistake. The "Test hack" victory might have been from the 1985 Brands Hatch victory. But otherwise Frank Sytner and Mike Newman won a pair of victories for BMW and so did David Brodie for Mitsubishi. Pete Hall had a solitary win in his Ford Sierra XR4Ti, but the remaining 12 period victories went to Andy Rouse, Ford Sierra.

Jesper

I'd forgotten Pete Hall had a win! In 1986 I think? if so, that was probably in the ex-Rouse ICS Rover- I don't think he ever raced the XR4Ti? Rouse did have a second car in '85 (the 'BT Radiopaging' car), but I thought it only came out a couple of times- a GP support with Klaus Niedzwiedz, and late-season at Brands(?) for David Sears, plus the TT, when a 3-car Rouse team of the two Sierras and Hall's Rover appeared.

Andy only had a single XR4Ti in '86 (one was sold to NZ), Hall running the Rover until the Cosworth appeared for '87.

Pete went on to have one win in the RS500 in '87, the last round at Silverstone, before calling it a day three or four rounds into the '88 season, passing the ICS RS500 drive over to Robb Gravett for the bulk of the season,and going on to race historic saloons in a Rouse-built Camaro in the early 90's

#222 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 21:27

Recently bought a copy of British Touring Car Racing in Camera, by Graham Robson, and flicking through it, noticed an RS500 in a pic that I can't identify for certain

The pic (Page 132 if you've got the book) is captioned 'Thruxton in 1989, with John Cleland's Vauxhall Astra GT/E setting to fight for another 2-litre class win' and shows the Astra (which I'm sure is actually Louise Aitken-Walker's, but that's another story- the other pic on the same page captioned as Cleland is definitely Louise A-W...) and John Morris' Golf GTi leading a gaggle of Golfs and Corollas, with an M3 and a Sierra tucked in amongst them.

The RS500 is white and carries the race number 9, the only visible sponsors that I can read (it's a head-on view partly obscured by the Vauxhall) are 'Shell' on the bonnet and a sunstrip for 'S.G. Baker (Leith) Ltd'

By elimination, I think it might be Mark Rennison's car- can anyone confirm that?

Edited by Kevan, 22 November 2009 - 21:28.

#223 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 579 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 21:28

I'd forgotten Pete Hall had a win! In 1986 I think? if so, that was probably in the ex-Rouse ICS Rover- I don't think he ever raced the XR4Ti? Rouse did have a second car in '85 (the 'BT Radiopaging' car), but I thought it only came out a couple of times- a GP support with Klaus Niedzwiedz, and late-season at Brands(?) for David Sears, plus the TT, when a 3-car Rouse team of the two Sierras and Hall's Rover appeared.

Pete (Peter?) Hall did win the Snetterton August 10 1986 round in an ARE Sierra XR4Ti to my notes.

Jesper

#224 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 21:41

Pete (Peter?) Hall did win the Snetterton August 10 1986 round in an ARE Sierra XR4Ti to my notes.

Jesper

Thanks for confirming race and date. I'll see if I've got the original Autosport report- I'd always thought Hall drove the Rover throughout 85/86, and that there was only one XR4Ti in '86

#225 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 21:50

An ex Rouse Xr4ti shell re appeared in Scotland recently, pretty bare and on normal sierra running gear, but all the markers of it being a Rouse shell were present

From what I recall Rouse converted one of his XR4ti to 3dr cosworth spec and it was painted up in Motorcraft colours as a show car at the time.

Posted Image

#226 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 21:56

I definitely remember seeing pics of the 'Motorcraft' show car in the press when the Cosworth was first announced. One of the Rouse XR4Ti's was sold to Australia or New Zealand at the end of '85- I think Rouse shared it with the new owner in the Nissan Mobil 500 series in NZ over the winter of 85/6

#227 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 579 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 22:46

I definitely remember seeing pics of the 'Motorcraft' show car in the press when the Cosworth was first announced. One of the Rouse XR4Ti's was sold to Australia or New Zealand at the end of '85- I think Rouse shared it with the new owner in the Nissan Mobil 500 series in NZ over the winter of 85/6

David Oxton ran a part time schedule with the ex-ARE XR4Ti during the 1986 Australian season.

Jesper

#228 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:30

Hi Jesper and all'

I don't know the reason behind DJR's move to the one piece cast wheel but cost alway's seem's to be involved and the import of expensive European wheel's plus taxes maybe the answer, I have a set of the DJR cast wheel's but my car never ran them originally, I think it was the '89/'90 Australian season they appeared, I have also seen a set of these wheel's on the Brock sierra and they look the same except the DJR logo wasn't cast in.

Andy

The reason I said to ask Kaydee about the wheels I because I think he may have designed and made them.  ;)

#229 racer2_uk

racer2_uk

• 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:36

The reason I said to ask Kaydee about the wheels I because I think he may have designed and made them. ;)

Hi Cat, it was Jesper you need to address the answer too, I only have the wheel's on my car.

Ansy

#230 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 16:47

The future for the Sierra appeared to be the 4-door Sapphire saloon in 2-litre form. Andy Rouse had prepared one for Ray Bellm in 1990, which had a troubled season, missing a couple of races before Bellm called time on it mid-season, although Chris Hodgetts took it over for the last couple of races.

A heavily-Shell backed Trakstar effort in 1991 with a radically engineered Sapphire proved to be little more successful, an unexpected 2nd place at Brands being the high point- the car usually struggled to break into the top 10

A slight diversion into the later 4-door Sapphire- Gravett on his way to that 2nd place at Brands- the best result for the car IIRC

Posted Image

Edited by Kevan, 25 November 2009 - 16:48.

#231 Coxy the Bear

Coxy the Bear

• 46 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 21:07

OK, a little OT, but you'll see where I'm going with this anecdote. Back in '91 I was working for a Ford dealer and we had a customer with an RS Cosworth that allegedly was taken up to Gp A BTCC spec. Somewhere in the region of 500bhp. I got on well with him (although his name escapes me now!) and he mentioned that at 130mph in 5th, just flooring the throttle lit the car up. Yeah, right, I said. So he threw me the keys! There I am, 18 years old with RS Cosworth keys being chucked at me.....would have been rude not too!
So, of we went to a private test track also known as the A3 and once out in the open, down went my foot. Thank god, before speed cameras! Sure enough, we hit 130 and he shouts out 'Nail it!' He must have been mad, or I was! I duly oblige, the rear wheels light up and the car promptly tries to swap ends! No clutch, just pure power. Scared the living wotsit out of me, but proved the point. From then on, I was mightily impressed by that car. Nothing has ever felt quite as brutal or scared me as much!
It's now I can look back at the battles on YouTube and realise exactly how talented these boys were. You only have to look at the Birmingham Superprix meets to see exactly what they could do.

#232 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 23:10

Rouse first raced the XR4Ti in '85 (at Silverstone I think?) and I am fairly sure the first Prod Saloon Cosworth came out at the end of '86 - it was certainly due out in '86 but maybe the Escort RS Turbo not being that far of the Colt Stariion stopped it.
For '87 it was definitely about; my late Dad finally got a Moonstone Blue one (he had to buy it in another name though!!) but he also raced one in ThunderSaloons and Production Saloons (a car that has been well-pictured so far in this thread).

#233 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:33

Rouse first raced the XR4Ti in '85 (at Silverstone I think?) and I am fairly sure the first Prod Saloon Cosworth came out at the end of '86 - it was certainly due out in '86 but maybe the Escort RS Turbo not being that far of the Colt Stariion stopped it.
For '87 it was definitely about; my late Dad finally got a Moonstone Blue one (he had to buy it in another name though!!) but he also raced one in ThunderSaloons and Production Saloons (a car that has been well-pictured so far in this thread).

Rouse missed the start of the season with the XR4Ti, debuting with a win at the second round, Oulton- think the homologation was slightly delayed?. With the new Sierra absent, Sytner's 635 won the first round. Dave Brodie won at Thruxton when the XR4Ti posted a DNF on it's second appearance, but after that it was all about Rouse- the only interruption was at Brands late season when Tom Walkinshaw dropped in with one of the ETCC Bastos Rovers.

The delay wasn't repeated with the Cosworth- Rouse, Hall and Goode all being out at the first round. Eggenberger did miss the first WTCC round at Mona due to a homologation mix-up, but it was an issue specific to the Eggenberger cars IIRC- as Rouse's car did take the start.

Can't remember when the first one appeared in Prodsaloons, but as you suggest the first Cosworths were already comepting in 1986. Ford ran a rally challenge on National championship events with backing from Securicor- half-a-dozen or so drivers, each entered by a Ford RS dealer. IIRC the cars were all registered in the 'C2xxxHVW' series seen the cars used in early road tests and publicity pics (always white cars, I think a pre-production batch)

As far as I can tell from memory and some old Rally Sport mags, the drivers and dealers involved were Phil Collins (Brooklyn Motorsport- C240HVW), Chris Mellors (Peacocks of London- C234HVW?), Trevor Smith (Hendy Ford), Rob Stoneman (White Brothers- C233HVW), Dougie Watson-Clark (County Garage, Carlisle- C236HVW?), and I think Kenny McKinstry?. Were there any others?

A few of them (Collins, Mellors & Stoneman) appeared on the '86 RAC entered as 'Securicor Team Go-Phone' I won't swear to this, but possibly running under a temporary Group B homologation?

Edited by Kevan, 26 November 2009 - 07:38.

#234 Coxy the Bear

Coxy the Bear

• 46 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:55

It was '86 when they first came out, end 0f 87 for the RS500. rumour had it, there were only a handful RS500's made in Moonstone as most were black or white. It was a stupidly low figure like 7.

#235 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:36

It was '86 when they first came out, end 0f 87 for the RS500. rumour had it, there were only a handful RS500's made in Moonstone as most were black or white. It was a stupidly low figure like 7.

The vast majority of the road cars were black, but 52 were white ( inc the 4 prototypes, which are all still around) and the same number for moonstone. Road car prices are rocketing despite the downturn

#236 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 16:24

It's now I can look back at the battles on YouTube and realise exactly how talented these boys were. You only have to look at the Birmingham Superprix meets to see exactly what they could do.

Glad you mentioned the BSP, it is an ideal circuit to see how the drivers coped with the powerful cars in the tight street circuit battling out for honours!

#237 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:24

Can't remember when the first one appeared in Prodsaloons, but as you suggest the first Cosworths were already comepting in 1986. Ford ran a rally challenge on National championship events with backing from Securicor- half-a-dozen or so drivers, each entered by a Ford RS dealer. IIRC the cars were all registered in the 'C2xxxHVW' series seen the cars used in early road tests and publicity pics (always white cars, I think a pre-production batch)

As far as I can tell from memory and some old Rally Sport mags, the drivers and dealers involved were Phil Collins (Brooklyn Motorsport- C240HVW), Chris Mellors (Peacocks of London- C234HVW?), Trevor Smith (Hendy Ford), Rob Stoneman (White Brothers- C233HVW), Dougie Watson-Clark (County Garage, Carlisle- C236HVW?), and I think Kenny McKinstry?. Were there any others?

A few of them (Collins, Mellors & Stoneman) appeared on the '86 RAC entered as 'Securicor Team Go-Phone' I won't swear to this, but possibly running under a temporary Group B homologation?

Phil Collins in the Brooklyn car in '86

http://www.flickr.co.../in/set-310602/

#238 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 13:30

The Brooklyn RS500 has just come up for sale if anyone fancies owning one, no doubt Oakfields will want top dollar, my guess 50k plus

http://www.racecarsd...s_Hodgetts.html

Edited by PAUL S, 27 November 2009 - 13:38.

#239 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 13:40

Phil Collins in the Brooklyn car in '86

http://www.flickr.co.../in/set-310602/

I believe Phil Collins still owns it, if I remember correctly it came out for the last rally day at Combe

Advertisement

#240 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 14:34

David Oxton ran a part time schedule with the ex-ARE XR4Ti during the 1986 Australian season.

Jesper

Oxton/Bartlett at the Pukekohe Nissan-Mobil 500 race in NZ. Think Rouse also drove the car at Wellington, before it went on to race in Australia

http://www.flickr.co...57606882601980/
http://www.flickr.co...57606882601980/

#241 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 14:59

I believe Phil Collins still owns it, if I remember correctly it came out for the last rally day at Combe

Thanks Paul. He had a second Brooklyn Cosworth which probably became better known- the pink 'Mr Tomkinson Carpets' car D540UVW, which infamously got stuck on the bridge at Clumber park on the first day of the 1988(?) RAC.

http://farm4.static...._64a7385581.jpg

It was also seen in dark blue Brooklyn colours... (about 0:28 into this clip, after the scenic shots of the harbour )

The earlier 'HVW' car had one particular claim to fame- in '86, Cars & Car Conversions magazine brought together a small group of rallycars in Wales for an article, in which they were tested by a very famous driver....

http://www.racecar-e...lly-driver.html

Edited by Kevan, 27 November 2009 - 15:05.

#242 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 19:44

Couple of shots from Donington of Rouse's XR4Ti.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

....along with Pete Hall's Rover

Posted Image

PAR

#243 tyrrellp346wheels

tyrrellp346wheels

• 574 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 20:14

Great image of the rover phill :clap:

#244 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 579 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 22:05

Recently bought a copy of British Touring Car Racing in Camera, by Graham Robson, and flicking through it, noticed an RS500 in a pic that I can't identify for certain

The pic (Page 132 if you've got the book) is captioned 'Thruxton in 1989, with John Cleland's Vauxhall Astra GT/E setting to fight for another 2-litre class win' and shows the Astra (which I'm sure is actually Louise Aitken-Walker's, but that's another story- the other pic on the same page captioned as Cleland is definitely Louise A-W...) and John Morris' Golf GTi leading a gaggle of Golfs and Corollas, with an M3 and a Sierra tucked in amongst them.

The RS500 is white and carries the race number 9, the only visible sponsors that I can read (it's a head-on view partly obscured by the Vauxhall) are 'Shell' on the bonnet and a sunstrip for 'S.G. Baker (Leith) Ltd'

By elimination, I think it might be Mark Rennison's car- can anyone confirm that?

Finally found my copy of the same book, looking at the pictures you mention.

Top 132: Yes, looks like Louise Aitken-Walker in her rally car wearing #58 - so does the bottom picture on the same page, only that the car's running BBS split rims rather than the O.Z.s on the top picture - but still at Thruxton?

Regarding the possible Mark Rennison RS500 in the top page 132 picture he did race the on May 1 round 3, but was a non starter at round 5 at the same circuit. I think Avon tires were rare in group A circuit racing - Karl Jones and the 1988 Lee Asquith RS500 is the only other I can think of - but in rallycross Avon was quite well known and Rennison would likely have had contacts in that direction. The #9 car in the picture does have Avon and Shell as clear sponsor and then there's a S.G. Baker "something" Ltd on the front screen.

Looking at my 1989 BTCC files - from Autosport - Mark Rennison qualified a lowly 30th for round 3. 29th was Alan Minshaw in his class C Castrol Golf which neatly run alongside the white RS500 in the page 132 picture! If this is the race John Morrison in the black Golf started 26th, Louise Aitken-Walker in the Astra 24th with Tomas Mezera in the Trident Maserati being the missing 25th.
All of this indicating this is a shot taken at the rolling start of round 3, 1989.

Jesper

Edited by Jesper O. Hansen, 27 November 2009 - 22:19.

#245 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 296 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:10

The Johnson car just doesn't look right with headlights. It never had any when it was racing. :smoking:

In pree RS500 spec it did in 87

#246 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 607 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:57

Here are two that are racing here in Australia. We have an historic category for Group A and C (a local, earlier formula) Touring Cars.

They are both Andy Rouse cars, as far as I know. The first was driven by Rouse with and Thierry Tassin at Bathurst in 1988, retiring with a blown head gasket late in the race. Allan Moffat funded the entry, but changed to Eggenburger cars for the next couple of years.

Posted Image

This car only came to Australia fairly recently. Our rules are that the car must be presented as it raced, so it will look familiar to European / British folk. I'd be interested to hear what event it ran in in this livery, especially with Damon Hill driving. It's now owned and driven by George Nittis.

Posted Image

I took both pictures this weekend (November 2009.)

Bruce Moxon

#247 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 13:27

Here are two that are racing here in Australia. We have an historic category for Group A and C (a local, earlier formula) Touring Cars.

They are both Andy Rouse cars, as far as I know. The first was driven by Rouse with and Thierry Tassin at Bathurst in 1988, retiring with a blown head gasket late in the race. Allan Moffat funded the entry, but changed to Eggenburger cars for the next couple of years.

This car only came to Australia fairly recently. Our rules are that the car must be presented as it raced, so it will look familiar to European / British folk. I'd be interested to hear what event it ran in in this livery, especially with Damon Hill driving. It's now owned and driven by George Nittis.

I took both pictures this weekend (November 2009.)

Bruce Moxon

Very nice pics Bruce. The ANZ car, as you say is the Rouse car that Moffatt shared with Rouse and Tassin at Bathurst in '87. IIRC, it wasn't Rouse's regular WTCC car (which was red) but a second car that had been run in the Spa 24 hours. I think it was later raced in France, think there are pics of it in Ford France colours a page or two back in the thread

The second car is a Graham Goode car, rather than Rouse. I think it's Goode's 1988 BTCC car, originally raced in white Listerine colours (I'm guessing George Nittis has had it repainted fairly recently, as I'm sure it was in Listerine colours when it first went to Australia). It's now wearing the FAI/Moss Security warpaint from the 1989 season, when it was the Goode team's 3rd car, driven by Sean Walker. Damon Hill only raced it once, co-driving with Walker in a 1-hour/2-driver race at Donington early in the '89 season. Like a lot of Sierras it was later modified for Thundersaloons before later being restored to Group A spec and Listerine livery.

Edited by Kevan, 29 November 2009 - 13:35.

#248 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 16:36

Another of the 'Securicor Challenge' C2xxHVW series Cosworths- Trevor Smith's 'Hendy Ford car, during 1987
http://www.flickr.co...57611422894664/

....and from the same source, a couple of BTCC shots from 1988-
Andy Rouse's Kaliber car: http://www.flickr.co...57611422894664/
..and the white Graham Goode Listerine car, as discussed in the previous couple of posts: http://www.flickr.co...57611422894664/
Looking closely at that pic, just noticed that Graham Goode is wearing a 'Clifford the Dragon' liveried helmet to match the car!

Another pic showing the car in Australia, before the presumably recent change to FAI/Moss/Sean Walker/Damon Hill colours
http://www.flickr.co...57605481722803/

Edited by Kevan, 01 December 2009 - 16:49.

#249 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 14:12

had a trawl through my hard drive to find some more pics

This is the egmo car as it sat in the Musuem at Fuji

Posted Image

and this is it post resto, sold last year by Oakfields and I have not heard of it since

Posted Image

One of the Rouse cars fresh from the body shop

Posted Image

another shot of the mystery 500, its a right hooker so a UK/aussie car but on german rims, also its an 86 to 88 car as it has the front tow hitch. Cars built from 89 on were based on the rebatch shells made in 89 which were pure group a shells with no road car brackets etc fitted.

Posted Image

and one of the Aussie Caltex cars, which I believe has now been restored

Posted Image

Edited by PAUL S, 03 December 2009 - 14:25.

#250 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 14:54

Great stuff Paul-

A few more of mine- rallycross this time- a bit of a random assortment from Lydden ERC rounds in the early 90's, but it includes one or two of the lesser-known cars.
I'll kick off with probably one of the best-known rallycross RS500 pilots- Kenneth Hansen
Posted Image
Posted Image

(incidentally, Oakfields had an apparently ex-Hansen RS500 for sale recently, as mentioned on the Thundersaloon thread)

Czech Miroslav Sefr
Posted Image

Jussi Rasku from Finland
Posted Image

Tom Einar Aaserud
Posted Image

Hungarian Laszlo Maruszi exploring the limits of RS500 handling...
Posted Image