Memories and photos of the RS500s from the '80s

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#301 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:36

That was just before he fell over!!

The Halford Corner is an opposite cambered corner so some occasions you can see the underside of different saloon cars in 1987 and 1988 at the BSP circuit. What do you by falling over though? :drunk:

Advertisement

#302 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 22:01

Karl doesn't need a car to fall over!! :stoned: :stoned:

#303 NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

• 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 20:59

Paul

what a great post :)

Infact it was a post just like this that got it into my head to build my group A RS500 and the Caltex paint scheme was decided due to a fantastic picc that was posted

Ill put some piccs up for the fellas on here who might not have seen my car

i hope you like :up:

Took just over 2 year to build from a brand new shell , all i need now to make it IMO perfect is a set os BBS centrlock wheels

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES, 29 January 2010 - 21:01.

#304 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 21:07

Gorgeous car.......pity about the dust spec on the driveshaft :lol: :up:

#305 NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

• 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 21:17

Gorgeous car.......pity about the dust spec on the driveshaft :lol: :up:

im looking for propper Group A rear shafts ,, I Have one , lol

Edited by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES, 29 January 2010 - 21:19.

#306 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 22:05

first time I have seen those studio shots of the car Paul - simply stunning :love:

#307 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:08

That really is a beautiful job- 'immaculate' doesn't even come close to describing it!

#308 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 13:35

Stunning!

#309 NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

• 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 14:28

Thanks for the comments fellas :)

I treated the car to some fully rebuilt 909 mag billy suspension today :smoking:

#310 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:30

Link to a nice picture of the 1990 F.E.T. Racing Team RS500: http://archives.brid.../...4&year=1990

Kiyoshi Misaki and Kazuo Mogi were the drivers and a single 3rd was their only podium finish during 1990. Like all other RS500 teams the F.E.T. car was soundly beaten by the two NISMO supported Nissan Skyline GTRs from Kazuyoshi Hoshino and Masahiro Hasemi. In 1991 F.E.T. was the only team to enter the RS500 on a regular basis before they converted to "Godzilla" for the Fuji finale.

Jesper

#311 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 346 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 15:32

Oh my lord that '500 is beautiful. Any chance of bringing it to the East Yorkshire RSOC day in July?

#312 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:10

Thanks for the comments fellas :)

I treated the car to some fully rebuilt 909 mag billy suspension today :smoking:

That is amazing!
A mate of mine had the original Bond Caltex car but parted with it only two weeks ago .

Edited by seldo, 18 March 2010 - 03:56.

#313 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:06

Oh my lord that '500 is beautiful. Any chance of bringing it to the East Yorkshire RSOC day in July?

Paul ( North Yorks) is the RS500 registrar for the RS owners club, I am pretty sure he attends most of the local shows and brings his car with him to put on display so there is a good chance the Caltex car will be there :up: .

#314 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 346 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:17

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :cool:

#315 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:21

In the May issue of Motor Sport..........the Classic Racing Car is the Ford Sierra Cosworth :)

PAR

#316 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:26

In the May issue of Motor Sport..........the Classic Racing Car is the Ford Sierra Cosworth :)

PAR

Thanks for the info - and I've got time to save my pocket money!

#317 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:32

Thanks for the info - and I've got time to save my pocket money!

Not really..... due to Motor Sport's bizzare dating policy the magazine is out now :eek:

PAR

#318 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:43

Not really..... due to Motor Sport's bizzare dating policy the magazine is out now :eek:

PAR

Hot damn! I'll just have to borrow a quid! :up:

#319 racer69

racer69

• 222 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:56

In pree RS500 spec it did in 87

They ran the headlights on the RS Cosworth in '87 (Johnson's were tinted red for the first two rounds). For the rest of the year and into 1988 they ran them clear with a Shell logo, before mid-season Johnson's became red & Bowe's yellow, with the #28 car at Bathurst being clear.

Presumebly from 1989 was when the lights were removed.

Advertisement

#320 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,729 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:27

That is amazing!
A mate of mine had the original Bond Caltex car but parted with it only two weeks ago .

I bet it was not as shiny and presented as that one!! When Colin raced them they were never supershiny, presentable yes but no more. He was too busy keeping them raceworthy.

#321 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 15:03

Colin Tester's Sierra Cosworth from Oulton yesterday....

Posted Image

Posted Image

PAR

#322 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 19:33

Thought I would drag this topic back up to page 1 in the hope of some more new pics appearing.

Plus any old excuse to show some photos of my new steed.

RS500 - build number 499, 23k from new, all original, and dealer fit a/c as an added bonus.

Just turned 23 years old last month., so a definate nostalgia car

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#323 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 21:12

Very smart - you lucky, lucky... Actually, I know luck has nothing to do with it, but I wish mine looked as nice as that.

#324 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:31

Very smart - you lucky, lucky... Actually, I know luck has nothing to do with it, but I wish mine looked as nice as that.

thanks Tony :up: I had been searching for one that ticked all the boxes, and it took a long time to find, and eventually this one turned up a long way from home in a much sunnier climate which was much kinder to it than our wet and salty roads.

Its a good time to start your resto, as prices are rocketing and nice original parts are getting very hard to find.

If you need any particular bits let me know as I have a good stockpile and know where to find most other parts. :)

#325 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 346 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:49

Looks like a REALLY nice example - puts my garage-white-elephant-project-one-day-it'll-be-back-on-the-road 3-door to shame!

Now get out there and enjoy it... :love:

#326 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:04

Looks like a REALLY nice example - puts my garage-white-elephant-project-one-day-it'll-be-back-on-the-road 3-door to shame!

Now get out there and enjoy it... :love:

You and me both, Hamish!

#327 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,662 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:16

What an immaculate car, one of the co drivers of my 2CV had one of these, I seem to remember it was stolen and found many months later after the insurance had written it off, the tea tray had been ripped right out of the boot lid, amongst many other signs of wanton vandalism !

My mate Jim was heart broken.

Good to see some of these are still around.

#328 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:03

A long time ago, when the Cosworth was often parked in the road rather than my small driveway (it is now in storeage), I had a visit from a pair of plain-clothes coppers. They'd had a tip-off that my car was targeted by a local scallywag, and they wanted my co-operation in a stake-out. I was happy to oblige, a time was set, all the local roads were monitored by unmarked police cars and an officer with a radio ensconced himself on my landing, with a clear view of the car. I hovered nearby with a camera, and the conversation was mainly about police pay and conditions - it transpired that being a Police Officer was well paid and a bit of a doddle. After an hour it started to rain heavily and the operation was declared over. "These types don't like to get wet!" was the reason - and when I asked what the intended fate of my car was to have been, broken up for parts, sold on, used in a bank raid? "No, nothing like that, the villain just wanted the sun-roof to put in his own Sierra."

Edited by Tony Matthews, 25 September 2010 - 10:04.

#329 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,280 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:15

A friend of mine had a Sierra Cosworth, which he was washing one Sunday morning. He went inside to refill his bucket, and when he came out again the car had gone. Fortunately it was recovered relatively undamaged, having been used in the commission of some crime or other (can't remember the details) and abandoned.

#330 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 22:41

that was the fate of so many of them, hence the huge insurance premiums during the 90s which killed the price of cosworths of all types. They are much easier to insure now on classic policies and prices have doubled in the last few years as have a lot of other nostalgia cars from the 80s.

#331 JockinSA

JockinSA

• 127 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 20:42

Good evening to you all.

Having just joined up to this site, I was interested to see some of the shots of Robb Gravett's Production Sierra in amongst the 500's.
What is written is mostly correct but as the person who built and ran the car that year,(1987) I am sure that I can give you the best history and some of the laughs we had that year with it. Unfortunately I have lost all of my photos and so on when I moved to sunnier climes in the mid '90's.
The car was aquired from Brooklyn Motorsport as a new car, but at the time with no number plate etc.( That became a story all on its own in the end.) Unlike other cars, we sent ours to John Aley to have the cage done in Aluminium and the design was somewhat different to the SD cages that are seen in the others. The other difference was that this car was a non sunroof car which also caused a bit of muttering when we appeared on the scene. Please remember that at this time Robb was not really know in this fraternity as both he and I had come from racing MG's. This was also partially why we chose Dave Mountain to do our engines as he was also rather unknown in this class of racing.
The intention was that we would only be doing the Uniroyal series as that was what our budget would hold but decided to do the opening round of the Monroe series as a shake down. Turned into a good race between Smithy and us even when the clutch exploded towards the end of the race. I remember there was a really good photo in Autosport the week after of the car on two wheels and a huge flame going up the side, as it was coming through the chicane at Thruxton. I can also tell Gregor Marshall that his father drove the car when we went to Snetterton testing before the first Uniroyal round if my memory serves me well. I know that Steve Soper also drove it as we were trying to decide whether or not to actually use the ABS. Steve showed Robb how to Left foot brake it properly and we never did not use it after that. Good job that we were backed by Mintex though as we went through pads at a hell of a rate in those sprint races, though we only used 5 sets of front discs the whole season.
As those from that era will probably remember that whole year ended up really going our way in both series, but I am most proud of the Willhire win from Gerry Mahoney, as that was when we decorated the car in the Arquati picture framing moulding colours for the first time. Thank you Gerry for sorting that deal out for us, it was a life saver at the time.
To correct one statement on the site. The car was never as such run by Graham Hathaway. We did a deal with him for the Willhire to drive and his input was to prep the car for that event. The reason that it is carrying his stickers for the GP event was that we borrowed some stiffer springs from him to suit the slicks that we fitted, oh and thanks to Benetton for the 50 litres of paint stripper that went into the fuel tank for the meeting. Struth was that stuff evil to handle. Unlike a lot of the others who joined in that was the only mod that we did for that event,and they stayed there till the end as they coverd up some scratches on the mirror covers. I should not forget our other driver as well who was Philip Bullman who did a really great job as he could keep up the same pace as the others which made the race planning so much easier.
There are loads of stories from that car and the fun we had that year and when it was sold it went to Peter Clark in Yorkshire which also is photo'ed in the site as well. Unfortunately he wrecked it at Donnington if I recall and that was the end of it. Shame really as I was told by someone from Ford at the Shell Awards at the end of the season that at that time it was the Sierra with the most wins in one season up to that point.
Thanks for the memory and boy does it seem so long ago.

#332 Cstonerfan

Cstonerfan

• 48 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 23:47

I do not know if it is out of order but here in good old Australia a fair few 1/18 scale models were produced.
I have a few of them that competed in the Bathurst 1000 races;
Posted Image

Edited by Cstonerfan, 20 December 2010 - 23:50.

#333 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:26

Posted Image

I wish I'd known that! Are they still available?

#334 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 603 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:43

Some are...

http://www.biante.co...cksearch=Search

Bruce Moxon

#335 Cstonerfan

Cstonerfan

• 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:51

Ebay would be your best chance I presume.
Minichamps did bring out a few differerent ones as they ran in Europe but these were made under the Biante Brand.
The front DJR car won Bathurst and is sought after, the other DJR is an Australian championship winner.
The Yellow B&H also won Bathurst 1000.
The ANZ one is the Eggenberger Moffat-Gregg Hansford- klaus Niedzwiedz entered car (Bathurst 1000)
(also have a Video doco regarding the race prepparation and Bathurst campaign made at that time)
Forgot this one in the comotion,so here it is;
Posted Image
"Mobil one" is the Peter Brock entered FORD Sierra RS500.
Posted Image
Posted Image
as one can see detail is terrific!
The Texaco car was disqualified after crossing the finnish line in first place

Edited by Cstonerfan, 21 December 2010 - 08:10.

#336 GD66

GD66

• 2,174 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:15

True, but the Texaco Sierra of Steve Soper/Pierre Dieudonne was disqualified some months later on guard width, and the win belatedly awarded to Brock not in a Sierra, but a Commodore.

#337 Cstonerfan

Cstonerfan

• 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:22

While You are at it You might as well hunt one of these delightfull RS3000 FORDS down as well :love:
Posted Image
Posted Image
But a disclaimer is in place;
Collecting model cars is a verified dissease of which there is no anti dote known to Men! :blush:
Another hightly controversial race car with Turbo boosting was this model
Posted Image
duped "Godzilla" and the "W!nF!eld one was declared a winner under much controvosy

Edited by Cstonerfan, 21 December 2010 - 08:42.

#338 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:21

I can also tell Gregor Marshall that his father drove the car when we went to Snetterton testing before the first Uniroyal round if my memory serves me well.

Hi Jock and thank you for the above info and also the other stories around running Rob's car - Dad knew Rob quite well from the MG days and I think him and Colin Pearcy bought Rob's Robco MG - I certainly remember going to see it, was kept on the back of a recovery truck somewhere that was a cross between a scrapyard and a farmyard!!
Were you at the end of season 4 hour race at Donington? Dad shared Jerry M's Cosworth and I'm sure Rob shared the garage with us and both cars were Arquati-liveried - it was quite a laugh as I'm sure you can imagine!!

#339 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 15:18

Thanks Jock for bumping up the thread, great to hear some first hand experience from back in the day :up: .

Was the car you mention a lhd version originally, as I have never come across a rhd non sunroof road 3dr cosworth, they only came that way for some european markets, so it may have been a very rare example indeed if it was rhd.

The Biante 500s are the most collectable and valuable, they do pop up on UK ebay every now and again. I am lucky to have DJR and Brock ones in my little 1/18 collection.

Hopefully as we are all stuck in due to the snow we might get a few more unseen pics from some new browsers :wave:

Advertisement

#340 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 17:11

While You are at it You might as well hunt one of these delightfull RS3000 FORDS down as well :love:
Posted Image

That and an Eggenberger Texaco Sierra would do me fine - I used to collect, but now it's just the occasional short-lived wish, but these two are different!

#341 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 17:19

Vince Woodman brings out the real deal most years at the RS day Castle Combe, and just by chance thats me in front of the yellow capri taking a pic of it :up: - stunning car and the sound when it fires up is superb.

Ebay is the best place tony for examples of both cars in 1/18 usually around £50 each made by Minichamps

Posted Image

Edited by PAUL S, 21 December 2010 - 17:20.

#342 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 19:23

Vince Woodman brings out the real deal most years at the RS day Castle Combe, and just by chance thats me in front of the yellow capri taking a pic of it :up: - stunning car and the sound when it fires up is superb.

Ebay is the best place tony for examples of both cars in 1/18 usually around £50 each made by Minichamps

Posted Image

Thanks Paul, and Cstonerfan, I'll have a look! The GAA engine was always a favourite of mine, and I have all the info to do a cutaway of the Capri, I photographed the one that was auctioned in the late '80s at Earls Court - had to view it in a bonded warehouse, as it had been imported but not registered. Never did the drawing though...

#343 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 19:25

PS - have I made a mistake there? Is that the 3.4 litre, or the Cologne engined Capri?

#344 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 19:46

its a GAA in Vinces car. He also owns the only red 3dr cosworth road car ever built by the factory.

Posted Image

Edited by PAUL S, 21 December 2010 - 19:48.

#345 JockinSA

JockinSA

• 127 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 19:58

Hi there again.

Thanks for the welcome to the site. Gregor, you are quite right about your dad and Colin buying Robb's MGB and yes your memory does not fail you about the "industrial estate" where you saw it. That end was rather rough. Quite right we did share the pit at Donington though I only got there for that race as it started as I flew in for it straight from South Africa. When I got there I decided to be just a spectator in the end as it seemed that decisions had already been made to change my original plan for the race. We lost the overall championship in my view there, as they had put the spare engine in for the race when I had originaly said not to. The one I wanted was the Willhire engine which was in the car and was a real gem. The turbo blew and had to be changed in the race. If I remember correctly, we had to win or come second, something like that , to take the overall championship. Oh well c'est la vie.
Another little ditty for you. I have it in my head that you father had something to do with us going with Mountune engines, one of the best things that could have happened to us as later in the year lots of others were knocking on his door. Funnily enough we offered to get Mountie to do Gerry's engines but he stuck firmly with Terry D. As I sit here more and more of it all comes back.
Paul, you ask about the history of this car. Well it was brand new when we got it, RHD and not only did it not have a sun roof, it had wind up windows if I remember right. We got it right at the last knockings before the season started from a well known dealership who rang and said they had this car and if we wanted it we better get there fast with retail money, which is what we did. When we got there we had to bring it home on trade plates as there was no paperwork but they said they would send it on. It was only the middle of the next year that it finally became apparent as to what had gone on. We could never understand why there was no chassis plate in the car and the docs never did arrive, so when some bean counter department at Ford rang and said could they have the car back, there were a lot of raised eyebrows all round. It would seem that we had expedited the dealers rally budget and this car was now that car that was in fact an old car. Ford left us alone and don't ever know how they sorted it out at their end. So in some ways it was a phantom. It also had different bits in the front suspension that apparently were only fitted to the first 50 or some such thing. That caused me some crisis with the scrutineers during the season as I had to show proof that they were in fact legal. Took me about a week of running around collecting documents and whatever when I had better things to do.
Anyway I'll leave you to the snow and ice, I'm off outside to sit by the pool and have another beer.
Cheers
Jock

#346 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 21:48

Cheers Jock that makes sense, sounds like it was one of the pre production cars used by the uk press at the cosworths launch in Spain.

They were rhd and had sunroofs, a number of them on their original "c" registration number plates were then given to various RS dealers by Ford for participation in the Securicor challenge in 1986. Most were then reshelled by the dealers into the lighter and more rigid motorsport non sunroof shells for the challenge, and as such lost there original chassis numbers as new shells have no vin numbers. Sounds like a naughty dealer decided to cash in instead and sell theres on to you.

At the launch of the Securicor challenge the cars were lined up with the drivers and at the time its clear in the photo from back then that they are all still standard roadcars with sunroofs, but at the challenge rallies they re -appeared with the same c plate registration numbers but fully rally prepped with cages and no sunroof.

These first 50 pre production cars had different front suspension knuckles, steering racks and front arb, they were deemed to fidgety and the settings were revised for the production cars. Hopefully that confirms your memories of the time and might answer a few doubts you may have had about the car from back then.

One of Brooklyns ones was at the Rally Day at Castle Combe this year C240 HVW, a car actually driven by Ayrton Senna

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by PAUL S, 22 December 2010 - 08:47.

#347 Cstonerfan

Cstonerfan

• 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 23:25

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Cstonerfan, 21 December 2010 - 23:26.

#348 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 00:27

Anyway I'll leave you to the snow and ice, I'm off outside to sit by the pool and have another beer.

You're just jealous really...

#349 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:21

I used to own the Brooklyn Mr Tomkins pink Sierra Grp A car. It was a wonderfu road car.especially in the wet !!!!

#350 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 346 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:02

Cheers Jock that makes sense, sounds like it was one of the pre production cars used by the uk press at the cosworths launch in Spain.

They were rhd and had sunroofs, a number of them on their original "c" registration number plates were then given to various RS dealers by Ford for participation in the Securicor challenge in 1986. Most were then reshelled by the dealers into the lighter and more rigid motorsport non sunroof shells for the challenge, and as such lost there original chassis numbers as new shells have no vin numbers. Sounds like a naughty dealer decided to cash in instead and sell theres on to you.

At the launch of the Securicor challenge the cars were lined up with the drivers and at the time its clear in the photo from back then that they are all still standard roadcars with sunroofs, but at the challenge rallies they re -appeared with the same c plate registration numbers but fully rally prepped with cages and no sunroof.

These first 50 pre production cars had different front suspension knuckles, steering racks and front arb, they were deemed to fidgety and the settings were revised for the production cars. Hopefully that confirms your memories of the time and might answer a few doubts you may have had about the car from back then.

One of Brooklyns ones was at the Rally Day at Castle Combe this year C240 HVW, a car actually driven by Ayrton Senna

Posted Image

Posted Image

In case you didn't realise Paul, Dad (Graham) ran the Sierra Securicor rally challenge in '86. I went to the press launch in the New Forest (special guest Barry Sheene, he was sponsored by Securicor in the BTCC), the Sunseeker (or whatever it was called then) and the Welsh later in the year. The Sierras had terrible trouble getting through the first event's scrutineering as the officials simply wouldn't believe that the rear spoiler was standard fitment!

Part of the deal was Dad had a Securicor cellphone fitted in his Sierra 4x4 which was a big job in '86! A huge box of tricks in the boot and a massive handset hanging from the dash. For the RAC, the last round of the championship, his white road car was decalled up with full sponsorship livery.

I have some old pictures somewhere, really must dig them out.

Incidentally, never knew about the red factory 3-door. Does it show a red paint code on the chassis plate?

Edited by Hamish Robson, 22 December 2010 - 10:03.