Photo

Memories and photos of the RS500s from the '80s

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#401 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 15:11

The stories I have heard were they did hit 200 mph at certain high speed circuits, places like conrod straight etc, not sure if this was ever officially confirmed though, Mike Smith recently said the trakstar cars were doing over 190 mph when they went to Japan one time.

Edited by PAUL S, 30 June 2011 - 21:35.

Advertisement

#402 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 20:24

Tim Harvey mentioned via email in the past that he was clocking 175mph past the mosque at the Birmingham Superprix in 1989 or 1990 during the BTCC race.

#403 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:32

Tim Harvey mentioned via email in the past that he was clocking 175mph past the mosque at the Birmingham Superprix in 1989 or 1990 during the BTCC race.

Very wise!

#404 timbo

timbo

• 312 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 20:15

A few Sports Sedan Sierra's from years gone by in Australia.

Mike Ceveri's car, as previously mentioned. Interesting rear wing arrangement.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Peter O'Brien's V6 Chev powered car.
Posted Image

Jim Marshall's car. Which I can only recall seeing once.
Posted Image

#405 timbo

timbo

• 312 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 15:52

A few more Sierra's, just in case we needed them.

Peter Brocks car, note the missing Ford badge.
Posted Image

The Andrew Miedecke/Andrew Bagnall car at Oran Park
Posted Image

David Parsons/Wayne Park at Bathurst.
Posted Image

Robbie Francevic (I think) at Amaroo Park.
Posted Image

Tony Longhurst's car grazing at Oran Park.
Posted Image

Kevin Waldock at Oran Park
Posted Image

#406 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 20:32

IIRC the Mark Petch (driven by Francevic) car was ex-Wolf Racing and initially had scrutineering issues when it came downunder.

#407 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,663 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:23

IIRC the Mark Petch (driven by Francevic) car was ex-Wolf Racing and initially had scrutineering issues when it came downunder.

As did most of the imported Sierras.

#408 boatsman

boatsman

• 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 15:40

The Group A RS 500's quite regularly got up to very high speeds at the longer circuits, particularly if the corner before the straight had a high exit speed. I can remember being radar checked down the Revett straight at Snetterton at 182mph and at Silverstone on the old GP circuit I can remember a general test day when a Formula 3000 car came alongside me down the straight but couldn't get past until I stood on the brakes for Stowe. My Thundersaloon which was one of the Labatts cars converted was even quicker, we took that to Nogaro for a week for the Dunlop Tyre test in February 1992, it was running a big power Mountune engine and was fitted with a high diff ratio, my guess is that car was running close to 200mph on the long straight there. We ran that pretty much solidly for 5 days, there was no power steering on that car or the RS500 Group A cars in those days and they were quite heavy to drive, a quick rack and loose rear end made for plenty of opposite lock and I came back to the UK with shoulders like a body builder!

#409 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 16:31

I was told at the time that One of The Sierra Teams had a diff failure at the end of qualifying for the Silverstone TT, and took the car back to their near-by workshop to work on the car. The following morning the diff was bedded in by driving it up and down the A5 at close to that speed, passing early spectators driving to the circuit with a speed differential of over 100 mph...

#410 boatsman

boatsman

• 24 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:21

The Group A RS 500's quite regularly got up to very high speeds at the longer circuits, particularly if the corner before the straight had a high exit speed. I can remember being radar checked down the Revett straight at Snetterton at 182mph and at Silverstone on the old GP circuit I can remember a general test day when a Formula 3000 car came alongside me down the straight but couldn't get past until I stood on the brakes for Stowe. My Thundersaloon which was one of the Labatts cars converted was even quicker, we took that to Nogaro for a week for the Dunlop Tyre test in February 1992, it was running a big power Mountune engine and was fitted with a high diff ratio, my guess is that car was running close to 200mph on the long straight there. We ran that pretty much solidly for 5 days, there was no power steering on that car or the RS500 Group A cars in those days and they were quite heavy to drive, a quick rack and loose rear end made for plenty of opposite lock and I came back to the UK with shoulders like a body builder!

As far as I remember my car was the only one in the BTCC that was run from a workshop at Silverstone (Roger Dowson Engineering), for sure we regularly had diff problems. I can remember Roger (Dowson) telling me he had been up all night 'lapping' in a diff by hand and it had taken hours. It would be indiscreet to say mine was the car that was run up and down the A5, but safe to say that certainly the 'constabulary' was more accomodating in those days!

There was a real problem in early 1988 before the 8 inch diff became available, but we had one by the time of the 88 TT. They still used to run really hot and had their own oil cooler, but due to the massive power and torque they were still problematic.

#411 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 22:30

As far as I remember my car was the only one in the BTCC that was run from a workshop at Silverstone

I was trying to be - oddly - discrete! The 'near-by' workshop was in Brackley...

#412 grelley

grelley

• 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:23

One of the Tony Longhurst cars is in Auckland. I was told by the owner of the car that this was clocked at 214 mph down Conrod Straight, the highest ever speed, and it was after this that the chase was put in to slow the cars down. The Kevin Waldock car is also in New Zealand and races in Classic race meetings on a fairly regular basis.

Edited by grelley, 18 July 2011 - 01:25.

#413 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 271 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:57

One of the Tony Longhurst cars is in Auckland. I was told by the owner of the car that this was clocked at 214 mph down Conrod Straight, the highest ever speed, and it was after this that the chase was put in to slow the cars down. The Kevin Waldock car is also in New Zealand and races in Classic race meetings on a fairly regular basis.

IIRC, one of Longhurst's Sierras WAS credited with being the fastest car to that time on Conrod, but the figure was certainly less than 200mph... certainly, Longhurst equalled George Fury's 1984 pole time (set as it was on the "short" track with Conrod intact), in circa 1990.

Caltex Chase was new for 1987, and to the best of conventional knowledge, the only Sierra to every compete with the "original" track format, was the Mark Petch-entered XR4Ti for 1986, which suffered from too-short gearing among its other shortcomings...

#414 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,663 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:10

You can knock at least 30mph off of that.I have a feeling that the Sierras were faster up mountain straight then down conrod because otherwise the engines were getting a real buzz at full boost.

#415 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 575 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 15:13

Longhurst was racing the Sierras during the 1988-1990 period - the Chase was in place by 1987! But other cars were already going quite fast by then. I think the mid-1980s Jaguar and Holdens were clocked in the 260-270 kmh area.

At some stage there appears to have been plans to run the Eggenberger group A cars at Le Mans 1988. With a theoretical top speed of around 320 kmh they were said to be equal to C2 cars.

Jesper

#416 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,633 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 15:22

At some stage there appears to have been plans to run the Eggenberger group A cars at Le Mans 1988. With a theoretical top speed of around 320 kmh they were said to be equal to C2 cars.

Jesper

I remember talk of this on Radio Le Mans at the time, somewhere between '87 and '92, but I presumed this was just a bit of Friday studio banter while everyone was waiting for the race to start, shirley to have been even considered as possible entrants by the fickle LM organisers the Eggenberger vehicles which as you say were were Group A spec, would have to have been re-homologated to Group B spec like the Porsche 961 ?

#417 grelley

grelley

• 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:25

Ah well there you are then. Perhaps the seller oversold the car. The owner told me he bought it direct from Frank Gardner. It had been brought over as a spare car for the Nissan Mobil in Wellington.

#418 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 575 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 14:33

I remember talk of this on Radio Le Mans at the time, somewhere between '87 and '92, but I presumed this was just a bit of Friday studio banter while everyone was waiting for the race to start, shirley to have been even considered as possible entrants by the fickle LM organisers the Eggenberger vehicles which as you say were were Group A spec, would have to have been re-homologated to Group B spec like the Porsche 961 ?

I think the Ford Sierra RS Cosworth was homologated as a group B by late 1986, if, for nothing else, to get some rallying mileage under the belt. Actually I would think the Eggenberger RS500s could have been covered by the IMSA GTO regulations. The American Roush Racing Mercury Merkur XR4s ran as both V8s and 4 cylindre turbo cars in the states.

Jesper

#419 Kevan

Kevan

• 514 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 19:21

I think the Ford Sierra RS Cosworth was homologated as a group B by late 1986, if, for nothing else, to get some rallying mileage under the belt. Actually I would think the Eggenberger RS500s could have been covered by the IMSA GTO regulations. The American Roush Racing Mercury Merkur XR4s ran as both V8s and 4 cylindre turbo cars in the states.

Jesper

The Sierra Cosworth certainly must have had a Group B homologation, as the Sierra's WRC debut was in 1986, with the 3 cars from the Securicor Challenge that ran on the RAC. Were Le Mans and the World Championship still accepting Group B entries as late as 1988? I haven't checked, but I don't think I remember any at Le Mans much after about 1985/6?

A Group B homologation for the 'basic' Cosworth presumably wouldn't have covered the Evolution RS500 though- if there had been any serious intent to run an RS500 at Le Mans, I wonder if the IMSA route you suggested might have been better? IIRC one of the ex-BTCC MG Metro Turbos finished up in IMSA (GTU I think?) so presumably a steel-shelled Group A car could be fitted into the IMSA rules (Were the Roush Merkur 'Sierras' tube-frame?)

Edited by Kevan, 19 July 2011 - 19:22.

Advertisement

#420 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,633 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:37

I had no recollection of the Cossie being entered as a Group B car for rallying Jesper :up:

The last car entered at Le Mans in Group B was a BMW M1 which IIRC crawled round the last lap on it's starter motor only to get disqualified by the ACO for last lap, too slow.

The 961 the same year was entered in GTO and the following year in IMSA so IMSA might have been an option for the RS 500.

#421 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 575 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:41

The Sierra Cosworth certainly must have had a Group B homologation, as the Sierra's WRC debut was in 1986, with the 3 cars from the Securicor Challenge that ran on the RAC. Were Le Mans and the World Championship still accepting Group B entries as late as 1988? I haven't checked, but I don't think I remember any at Le Mans much after about 1985/6?

A Group B homologation for the 'basic' Cosworth presumably wouldn't have covered the Evolution RS500 though- if there had been any serious intent to run an RS500 at Le Mans, I wonder if the IMSA route you suggested might have been better? IIRC one of the ex-BTCC MG Metro Turbos finished up in IMSA (GTU I think?) so presumably a steel-shelled Group A car could be fitted into the IMSA rules (Were the Roush Merkur 'Sierras' tube-frame?)

Honestly I don't know if group B was accepted at Le Mans 1988 and I'm equally unfamiliar weather the RS500 would have been accepted as a group B car. I'm quite sure the Roush cars were tube-frame and some of them might even have had Mustang shells covering the tubes in previous seasons.

German magazine Rallye-Racing had a short article - a few lines - of the Eggenberger interest in Le Mans 1988.

Jesper

#422 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 14:35

Came across some rare Macau footage, so thought I would post it on here for all to see

http://www.youtube.c...layer_embedded#!

#423 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 16:58

Cor! Thanks for the link, Paul!

#424 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 00:08

Longhurst was racing the Sierras during the 1988-1990 period - the Chase was in place by 1987! But other cars were already going quite fast by then. I think the mid-1980s Jaguar and Holdens were clocked in the 260-270 kmh area.

At some stage there appears to have been plans to run the Eggenberger group A cars at Le Mans 1988. With a theoretical top speed of around 320 kmh they were said to be equal to C2 cars

Jesper.

To the best of my knowledge I held the fastest speed on the "old" Conrod at 275kph in the Tru Blu XD from '83 until '87.

Edited by seldo, 09 September 2011 - 00:09.

#425 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 575 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 18:30

A few more Sierra's, just in case we needed them.

Peter Brocks car, note the missing Ford badge.
Posted Image

The Andrew Miedecke/Andrew Bagnall car at Oran Park
Posted Image

David Parsons/Wayne Park at Bathurst.
Posted Image

Robbie Francevic (I think) at Amaroo Park.
Posted Image

Tony Longhurst's car grazing at Oran Park.
Posted Image

Kevin Waldock at Oran Park
Posted Image

The Seton/Parsons car must be from Bathurst 1991, while the rest except the Whittaker's RS500 from the 1989 Pepsi 300 at Oran Park. The only match of Robbie Francevic and an ATCC round at Amaroo Park is from 1989, and that as a "Did not arrive" - but I guess he did but non-started.

Jesper

#426 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,669 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 00:16

I thought Francevic did race at that Amaroo meeting. The Mark Petch team was set up next to us in the pits all weekend (I was working on a Sports Sedan) and their car kept coming in and out all weekend. And every time we moved our car one of their team would try and take our spot.

#427 timbo

timbo

• 312 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:28

From whats left of my memory, the Francevic car at Amaroo Park may have been during an Endurance Championship race, and not a ATCC race.

#428 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,072 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:57

From whats left of my memory, the Francevic car at Amaroo Park may have been during an Endurance Championship race, and not a ATCC race.

Timbo,
The following article says that Francevic's debut at Amaroo Park was for an AMSCAR round in May 1989:

http://www.amaroo.co...race-at-amaroo/

#429 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 575 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:55

Thank you for the lead guys, I've found the relevant AMSCAR race. Somehow I was initially lead astray by the Shell ATCC sticker above the starting number.

Jesper

#430 racer69

racer69

• 222 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:33

Definatly the AMSCAR round, the pic would be from Saturday qualifying as it poured rain, dried up on the Sunday though. That was the meeting where Brian Callaghan put his Commodore on pole. Francevic got a third in one or two of the heats as well

The week after this was Rd7 of the ATCC at Winton, where Francevic raced as #27 (hence the wierd looking 9 in the 29... a week later they just trimmed it again to make it look like a 7)

#431 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:47

I thought you gents may be interested to hear that the remains of DJR2 the ex Mike Smith Trakstar RS500 have been located and hopefully it is going to be rebuilt to original spec

http://passionford.c...r-piccs-up.html

and a good excuse for a bump back to page one to see if we can find any more old photos in the RS500s silver jubilee year

Edited by PAUL S, 24 January 2012 - 10:48.

#432 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 296 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:06

The Waldock picture is actually Brian Thompson driving

#433 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,663 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:01

The Waldock picture is actually Brian Thompson driving

I reckon you are right.
It does not look like Kevin but a lot like Thommo.

#434 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,150 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:06

The Dunlop racing web site ,has a story on Moffats win at the Fuji 500 in 1988?

#435 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 14:54

Well the RS500 is now 25 years old and to celebrate a number of us owners are heading to the Silverstone classic In July to put up a little display of the cars.

The big bonus is that a lot of the old ex race versions and drivers will also be there competing as well.

Please come by and say hello and take a look at our cars.

....and any old excuse for a bump to the top to see if you guys can dig out some more pics of the old beasts :wave:

here is mine back on its original plates, and a pic of me in front of it at the 100 yr celebrations of Ford in Britain at the Dunton Test track last year, so you now know who to look out for at Silversone if your going :up:

PAUL

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by PAUL S, 26 May 2012 - 14:55.

#436 sniffy

sniffy

• 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:09

Not the best of pictures and obviously taken at Donnington, not sure of the year.

On power out of Redgate and down the curves

Posted Image

Posted Image

#437 Lee Towers

Lee Towers

• 49 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 13:20

Looks to me like '88 sniffy :well:

#438 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,165 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 15:17

I had no recollection of the Cossie being entered as a Group B car for rallying

Neither had I - but, on checking, Phil Collins, Chris Mellors and Rob Stoneman are all listed as GpB on the 86 RAC.

#439 AAGR

AAGR

• 205 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 16:15

Neither had I - but, on checking, Phil Collins, Chris Mellors and Rob Stoneman are all listed as GpB on the 86 RAC.

The Sierra RS Cosworth production had not reached 5,000 cars by November 1986 (so could not be homologated into Group A at that time), but as Securicor wanted to 'showcase' the cars which had been prominent in the recent Securicor Sierra Challenge, Ford obligingly homologated the cars into Group B for the RAC rally. Not that it did any good, for all three cars retired with rear axle related breakages or incidents. It was not until 1987 that this problem was really solved ....

It was, I believe, the only time the Sierras (all three, incidentally, were privately owned) ever competed as Group B machines, for once Group A status was achieved on 1 January 1987, the Group B qualification automatically lapsed.

Advertisement

#440 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 19:40

Posted Image

brilliant piece of kit you have there !!

#441 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 19:30

Thanks Macoron, nice of you to say :) I am a proud custodian.

Also thanks to GR for the group B info, as you were the man who ran the Securicor Challenge that info is from the horses mouth so to speak :up:

#442 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 14:52

off topic, but Rs500 related, here is the latest press release about the gathering of the RS500s at the Silverstone classic this July

http://www.silversto...3/libEntryID=30

#443 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:12

What a weekend we had, 2 days of solid sunshine after the monsoons of the previous weeks.

Large gaggle of original race RS500s in attendance so hopefully we might see a good few shots.

Car of the weekend for me was Craig Davies in his Brooklyn version, very well prepared and won both his classes, really flying on both days.

Cars in attendance were:-

Static display

Brock/Rouse
DJR1

Racing
Wolf LUI
Brooklyn
Cam Shipping Rouse
Labatts Rouse
BBR

DNQ

BBR/ Rouse hybrid

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and here are the cars that allowed the race versions to be built

Posted Image

and my old bus

Posted Image

Edited by PAUL S, 25 July 2012 - 09:15.

#444 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 345 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:33

Thanks Paul, I was hoping some photos of these would turn up. Yours looks lovely, and nice in a rare colour. :up:

#445 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:03

Thanks Hamish

some vids have appeared on youtube as well now

#446 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:20

DNQ

BBR/ Rouse hybrid

Great car Paul.
What was this car above?

#447 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:15

Great car Paul.
What was this car above?

Thanks Gregor

The white car is the one Oakfields own, now decalled up. They are still researching its history, it was one of the cars used in Asia, seems to be a BBR car but now fitted with a Rouse engine. the guy that ran it over there owned both versions and this one is probably the final evolution after a few incidents along the way.

#448 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 575 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:16

[quote name='PAUL S' date='Jul 25 2012, 11:12' post='5843479']
What a weekend we had, 2 days of solid sunshine after the monsoons of the previous weeks.

Large gaggle of original race RS500s in attendance so hopefully we might see a good few shots.

Car of the weekend for me was Craig Davies in his Brooklyn version, very well prepared and won both his classes, really flying on both days.

Cars in attendance were:-

Static display

Brock/Rouse
DJR1

Racing
Brooklyn
Posted Image
and my old bus

Why come that the extended front spoiler lip is allowed as 1989 group A standard? I've seen supposedly historic Porsche 911 Carrera RSRs doing the same stunt, and always wondered why it is allowed! ..?

Jesper

#449 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 14:36

The car races in a current championship so I imagine its an allowed modification. The Silverstone classic races were only a bit of fun really I doubt they were that strict about originality

#450 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 23:27

some more great in car footage from the Brooklyn RS500 at this years Silverstone classic