Photo

Kimi in 2010? [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4865 replies to this topic

#3901 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 13:32

Well I should have been more specific.I wanted to know how long before the first rally which is on 14th Feb do the entries have to be submitted?But as paranoik0 said Kimi might race in just a few rallies and not the whole calender.So thanks all.

Last year he participated at Arctic Lapland Rally (not a WRC event). In 2010, it will be on 28.1 and the last day for the entries is on 18.1.
I read (few month ago) somewhere that he intended to participate, but who knows?! In 2009 he drove the Fiat Punto...

Advertisement

#3902 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 13:41

Lapland Rally :p

Kimi took a sabatical year to help Santa Claus to deliver the X-mas presents. :drunk:

#3903 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 13:52

If Brawn made Honda winners, he can make Merc for sure. 1 year contract is always a risk, but on long term the good ones will provide you success.

Well I repeat one year with options for further collaboration. In one year he will definitely understand does he like atmosphere, attitude, approach and then could decide. It could be also motivation for Merc and Brawn to give all best to keep Kimi in the team. I have no doubts if Kimi wants he could easy get 3 years deal.

#3904 OSX

OSX

• 4,220 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 13:55

It's a rumour heavy day today. I guess everyone's trying hard to guess it right first...

#3905 Kriss

Kriss

• 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 13:55

http://translate.goo.....mula1/1782209

Sign that contract Kimi!!!

#3906 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,174 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:00

http://translate.goo.....mula1/1782209

Sign that contract Kimi!!!

I see a blank page

Edit: ah just be patient, it does show up

#3907 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,949 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:02

It's a rumour heavy day today. I guess everyone's trying hard to guess it right first...

I think Kimi is going to sign a one year deal to be The Stig.

#3908 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,604 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:03

Perhaps the logic goes like this: 'our superstars' have learnt their craft on gravel. Finnish Rally Championship has no tarmac events at all. Räikkönen, however, has raced 1 rally on gravel and a decade of Grands Prix on tarmac. But of course rallying is very different from driving formula cars, and nobody should be expecting Räikkönen to match Loeb on any surface for a while.

Take a look at next years WRC calendar, only 4 of the 13 events are on tarmac (5 if you include a mixed surface one): http://en.wikipedia....pionship_season

People are having high expectations because Kimi was surprisingly quite competitive in Rally of Finland this year, before he crashed. Was doing similar stage times to Anton Alen, who is an average driver of the championship immediately below the WRC in the ranks, the IRC. That is spectacular for his level of (in)experience, on one of the most difficult rallies in the world.

The fact he had a world class co-driver must've helped a lot though!

#3909 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,333 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:05

I see a blank page

The story is here in finnish http://www.iltasanom....asp?id=1782209

Shortly it says that Kimi is still the favorite and the negotiations don't break for salary reguest, he is asking 10M€ the same they asked from McLaren.

Nick's stock is dropping and only Schumacher would me more attractive than Kimi for Mercedes

#3910 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,174 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:10

The story is here in finnish http://www.iltasanom....asp?id=1782209

Shortly it says that Kimi is still the favorite and the negotiations don't break for salary reguest, he is asking 10M€ the same they asked from McLaren.

Nick's stock is dropping and only Schumacher would me more attractive than Kimi for Mercedes

Have I missed something? I haven't seen this before "He could start right away tomorrow. Kimi knows that I want him, Brawn part-owner Nick Fry told British journalists."

#3911 OSX

OSX

• 4,220 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:10

he is asking 10M€ the same they asked from McLaren.

That is just a guess. The driver salaries presented in media usually always are.

#3912 OSX

OSX

• 4,220 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:11

Have I missed something? I haven't seen this before "He could start right away tomorrow. Kimi knows that I want him, Brawn part-owner Nick Fry told British journalists."

That was on some news site late last week.

#3913 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,333 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:13

That is just a guess. The driver salaries presented in media usually always are.

Yes exactly, the amount of money Kimi is rumoured from getting has varied from 10M€ to 55M€ quite huge cap :rotfl:

#3914 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,174 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:14

That was on some news site late last week.

would it be a variation of this? http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=4005783

#3915 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:15

It was reported earlier in Dutch source and it seems mares cause nobody repeat it.

Come on guys Mercedes played extremely well to hold information. It should be real surprise but bad news we need to wait until next Monday. Six days with lots of speculations.

#3916 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:18

I see a blank page

I see two Polar Bears playing hide and seek... :cool:

Edited by WebBerK, 24 November 2009 - 14:19.

#3917 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:22

But seriously... almost 100 pages and nothing. :well:

It's starting to look like the Pope election: do we have white smoke... or just a lot of hot air :confused:

My bet is Kimi is on a hung-over and is not capable of signing the contract. :p

#3918 Visionz

Visionz

• 299 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:41

Norbert said - while he was still with Mclaren, that they werent ready to pay a pile of cash to someone asking for that..
I wonder if he just wanted to keep Kimi out of a Mclaren so they could sign him later for Mercedes..

#3919 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:46

Norbert said - while he was still with Mclaren, that they werent ready to pay a pile of cash to someone asking for that..
I wonder if he just wanted to keep Kimi out of a Mclaren so they could sign him later for Mercedes..

It got worse...

The difference is taht before Mercedes had to pay half pile of money [McLaren 50% and Mercedes 50%].
Now Mercedes has to pay the whole pile of money to Kimi.

But there are no options in the market.

Advertisement

#3920 grunge

grunge

• 4,321 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:49

the driver salaries are paid by mclaren solely

#3921 grunge

grunge

• 4,321 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:52

would it be a variation of this? http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=4005783

yup thats the same article

#3922 lukyluke

lukyluke

• 1,833 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:52

I suspect Mercedes wants Kimi to sign for them in 2010.

I hope he does sign them. After the 8 o clock sleep everyone is bound to sign something.

I say Kimi go Magnun and don't return.

A poor end of the season.

#3923 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 15:13

Old stuff. Best version - it was addressed to Button.

#3924 ReAlien

ReAlien

• 165 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 15:59

Tell that to Fedor.

I personally have not seen/heard evidence that negotiations failed because ...blah blah blah...

Well, I just said that to lead you out of false news. If anyone spreads them - that's his own problem.

#3925 ReAlien

ReAlien

• 165 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 16:13

Exactly. It would be fantastic if he was 10th or something.

He already was 4-th in his class at the time of retirement from Finland rally this year. And that on the car that was losing power and not on tarmac but on one of the most difficult gravel rallies in the WRC season. Everyone in the WRC paddock was pleasantly shocked with such performance from rookie rally driver. So noone knows what he can do in real top tier WRC cars.
Also, he impressed everyone when he did his pace notes by himself.

Edited by ReAlien, 24 November 2009 - 16:19.

#3926 meat

meat

• 691 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 16:18

He already was 4-th in his class at the time of retirement from Finland rally this year. And that on the car that was losing power. Everyone in the WRC paddock was pleasantly shocked with such performance from rookie rally driver. So noone knows what he can do in real top tier WRC cars.

That was the problem, HE CRASHED, by mistake. That usually happens in rally when you drive too fast for your skils.
He is talented ,no doubt. But, he still needs atleast couple full seasons in WRC before he can even dream about challenging Loeb,Hirvonen,Latvala and others.
Back in topic. I am starting to think that his Formula 1 days are over,but who knows maybe Mercedes wants him after all...

Edited by meat, 24 November 2009 - 16:21.

#3927 ReAlien

ReAlien

• 165 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 16:23

That was the problem, HE CRASHED, by mistake. That usually happens in rally when you drive too fast for your skils.
He is talented ,no doubt. But, he still needs atleast couple full seasons in WRC before he can even dream about challenging Loeb,Hirvonen,Latvala and others.

I don't agree. Crashes are ordinary thing for rally drivers, as well as for F1 ones, especially in Finland. At that spot two other drivers went away at the same rally. Of course he needs to get used to the car and championship and tracks but I would give him a year, not two, for accommodation. :)

#3928 ReAlien

ReAlien

• 165 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 16:24

I think Kimi is going to sign a one year deal to be The Stig.

:up: :rotfl:

#3929 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,143 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 16:27

:up: :rotfl:

Can you imagine him trying to explain to the stars in the reasonably priced cars how to take gambon? :lol:

#3930 ReAlien

ReAlien

• 165 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 16:29

Can you imagine him trying to explain to the stars in the reasonably priced cars how to take gambon? :lol:

Well he could be testing side of Stig, not tutoring one ;)

#3931 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 16:30

http://translate.goo.....e-autre-info/

#3932 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 574 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 16:31

Not denying here that it was a mistake, but that corner was particularely tricky and several others (much more experienced) were caught there as well! In fact IRC hirvonnen was quite lucky in that corner because he also went wide, fortunately for him just not exactly where a hidden stone was. But that is probably because he was driving as fast as his skills ;)

In that rally he showed enormous potentiel. Let's wait and see if he can fulfill this, but we have to remain conscient that in rallying experience is everything. So I don't expect to see him take the fight Loeb and Hirvonnen any time soon

#3933 Exposer

Exposer

• 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 16:35

http://www.ts.fi/f1/uutiset/90961.html

Heikki Kulta does not think that Kimi is in negotiations for the Mercedes seat anymore,
he believes it's between Kubica and Heidfeld, and that Mercedes will wait until December
when Renault decides about it's future in F1.

#3934 meat

meat

• 691 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 16:41

Not denying here that it was a mistake, but that corner was particularely tricky and several others (much more experienced) were caught there as well! In fact IRC hirvonnen was quite lucky in that corner because he also went wide, fortunately for him just not exactly where a hidden stone was. But that is probably because he was driving as fast as his skills ;)

In that rally he showed enormous potentiel. Let's wait and see if he can fulfill this, but we have to remain conscient that in rallying experience is everything. So I don't expect to see him take the fight Loeb and Hirvonnen any time soon

True.
Like i said he is talented.
But also in rally we have to remember, that it doesn´t matter how good the driver is, IF they don´t have a perfect harmony with co-driver and that my friends comes only with time and experience.
Imo one season in WRC just isn´t enough to get there ;)

#3935 meat

meat

• 691 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 16:51

Heikki Kulta does not think that Kimi is in negotiations for the Mercedes seat anymore,
he believes it's between Kubica and Heidfeld, and that Mercedes will wait until December

Sounds right. If they would hire Kimi, then why to wait ´til december.
Kimi decided to take the Santander money and run :down:

#3936 wiry

wiry

• 158 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 16:54

i just knew that these negotiations would come to nothing :cry:

#3937 Odvan

Odvan

• 2,074 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:04

That's excellent news - second in a raw article about the same - Kulta never predicted anything well. Robertsons doesn't tell him nothing so he's just guessing like we are or French-Brazil colleagues.

#3938 ReAlien

ReAlien

• 165 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:06

Kimi decided to take the Santander money and run :down:

:rotfl:
You should have said - stole that money and ran away like rabbit! That would have been more eye-catching, you know.

#3939 kismet

kismet

• 7,015 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:09

Well, that TS piece doesn't actually say anything at all about Kimi - just that Mercedes has apparently decided to wait until Christmas or whatever, and this combined with Brawn not having the hots for Heidfeld, Renault looking a bit dodgy and Haug not wanting an all-German driver lineup + hinting at a surprise signing makes Kubica a probable target.

In all honesty, I don't think Heikki Kulta knows much more than we do.

Advertisement

#3940 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:11

I'd be relatively happy if he either commits to rallying or drives for Merc next year. I think a sabbatical would be the worst, he'd be bound to lose some form with a year off, then he'd come back facing Vettel.

#3941 Amrl

Amrl

• 785 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:11

Face it, it's over. Kimi will never step into an F1 cockpit again.

#3942 kismet

kismet

• 7,015 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:18

I tend to agree but I want to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

#3943 dabrasco

dabrasco

• 2,170 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:22

I actually dont see much difference btw Kubica-Heidfeld, Heidfeld-Rosberg or Kubica-Rosberg

#3944 DEVO

DEVO

• 2,637 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:22

Does Loeb have any F1 ambitions? I would love to see him in F1 with a decent team.

#3945 meat

meat

• 691 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:23

:rotfl:
You should have said - stole that money and ran away like rabbit! That would have been more eye-catching, you know.

:rotfl: Or Useles, over hyped lazy bastard, who stole that money and ran away like a rabbit ;)

#3946 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,713 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:25

I guess if you throw enough rumours out there one of them is bound to be right. I still don't think we are any closer to finding out which one is right in this case though.

#3947 FlatOverCrest

FlatOverCrest

• 2,823 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:29

Does Loeb have any F1 ambitions? I would love to see him in F1 with a decent team.

Yes he does... it is an itch he is very much interested in scratching....which is why it was such a shame the FIA did not grant an exception for him to run in Abu Dhabi as I suspect that may have been his only chance to get a go at an F1 race.

I suspect he will test again over the winter and will again surprise many with his speed.

As to Kimi being a match for any for the top WRC guys in his first season.... :lol: I hope he gets body panel sponsorship.... he is going to need them! I wonder if Kaj is gonna sit next to him if he goes to WRC.... LOL if so....hold on KL...you're in for a hell of a ride!  ;)

#3948 DEVO

DEVO

• 2,637 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:40

Cool, I really look forward to his test. I hope he does well as he is incredible in WRC.

#3949 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,678 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 17:54

I actually dont see much difference btw Kubica-Heidfeld, Heidfeld-Rosberg or Kubica-Rosberg

Just one of these drivers has won in F1 before.
That has the potential to make the difference. Even if this difference exists only to the eyes of the public and media.

#3950 sleenster

sleenster

• 308 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 18:00

They're all equally exciting!! :clap: