• Please log in to reply
425 replies to this topic

#1 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 21:32

Week 1 - 31st October.

Seems all well so far, no duplicity on show

With Max gone Ron has popped up, lets hope Todt is his own man and won't carry on the previous encumbrants agenda, not heard him make any speeches or say what he is going to change this weekend.

I must admit I had a bout of paranoia when I saw him in the Ferrari garage, with him a Luca dressed almost identically, got me thinking all new designs for all the teams get passed by FIA.

A rather low profile start, but maybe thats for the best.

Edited by Anomnader, 31 October 2009 - 22:06.

Advertisement

#2 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 21:34

Todt Watch. A really excellent name for the thread!

#3 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 21:34

Don't know about 'low profile'. I thought he campaigned on not getting personally involved in F1?

#4 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 4,526 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 21:59

Posted Image"Welcome to another episode of 'Todt Watch'."
"The old bull has finally gone, and after a fierce battle, a new alpha male has emerged to lead the herd. Now, one of the most important benefits of being the alpha is... ah, and here comes Michelle now. Let's keep quiet and see if we can capture what happens next on camera..."

#5 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,868 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 22:16

Excellent thread idea :lol:

I too started to freak a little when I saw him in the Ferrari garage. But then Ron was in the Mclaren one. I guess a new day has dawned.

#6 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,619 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 22:33

Everything is still normal, Ferrari is still not at the top eventhough Todt is the president now.

#7 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,654 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 23:21

We could record punishment scores on a Todt 'em Pole.

#8 royalblue0

royalblue0

• 502 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:09

:rotfl:

#9 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,100 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:09

seeing todt talking to sauber guys - peter sauber himself? - during quali was nice. rises my hopes to see sauber 100% on the grid in 2010 :)

#10 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:21

Posted Image"Welcome to another episode of 'Todt Watch'."
"The old bull has finally gone, and after a fierce battle, a new alpha male has emerged to lead the herd. Now, one of the most important benefits of being the alpha is... ah, and here comes Michelle now. Let's keep quiet and see if we can capture what happens next on camera..."

:lol:

Is Sir Attenborough narrating?

#11 Hotwheels

Hotwheels

• 2,650 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:41

I was in the Paddock Club in Abu Dhabi on FRi and SAT - my opinion is that Bernie has pulled the plug and ensured that everyone attends this race to "thank" Abu Dhabi for the investemnt / facilities etc.I do not think RD being there was a result of Max gone. The people who are attending the race are :

Jean Todt
Luca di M
Dr. Zwetse ?( Mercesdes Benz)
Ron Dennis
Frank Williams
Michael Schumacher
Jackie Stewart etc.

#12 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,880 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:51

I was in the Paddock Club in Abu Dhabi on FRi and SAT - my opinion is that Bernie has pulled the plug and ensured that everyone attends this race to "thank" Abu Dhabi for the investemnt / facilities etc.I do not think RD being there was a result of Max gone. The people who are attending the race are :

Jean Todt
Luca di M
Dr. Zetsche(Mercesdes Benz)
Ron Dennis
Frank Williams
Michael Schumacher
Jackie Stewart etc.

Fixed. :)

#13 Xaus

Xaus

• 602 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:55

seeing todt talking to sauber guys - peter sauber himself? - during quali was nice. rises my hopes to see sauber 100% on the grid in 2010 :)

Well, Todt & Sauber are good friends. No surprise there.

#14 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:05

I wonder if disqualifications will now only occur under the todting up procedure ?.

#15 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 18:35

Doomwatch !

#16 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,630 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 18:46

Jean Todt
Luca di M
Ron Dennis
Frank Williams
Michael Schumacher
Jackie Stewart etc.

It certainly seems that everyone is under instructions to praise the place every chance they get.

#17 JForce

JForce

• 13,841 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 19:08

I have changed my mind on Todt being FIA president, from thinking that no matter how well he does, it's never going to look good, to thinking that he may just be the best man for the job....and why?

Cause the teams can't bullshit him. He knows their secrets, their innermost workings, the relationships and dynamics and tensions and issues better than Max or Ari ever could. It could prove a huge blessing the first time the teams try to put something past the FIA and he can step in and say "hang on, you and I both know that I know that's bollox".

We shall see.

#18 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 22:31

Nice thread, excellent name! If the humorous posts supporting the new sentry point are an indication we might get some way round the first lap before the trolls arrive and start their bashing.

I'm wary of Todt too but let's give him a year or so. I'm sure he'll do OK for a while until he goes the way of all politicians. Everyone's smiling in Abu and the architecture is impressive and I'm sure the canapes and champers are first rate. Behind the scenes the beavers are at work readying their plans for 2010. Good to see Ron Dennis back in the garage and F1 presenting it's most convivial face in years. :clap:

#19 bond

bond

• 2,554 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 22:34

It's a shame not to have a French GP - Todt

"I find that it would be a shame if France did not have its Grand Prix. Losing such a prestigious international event could have economic consequences," Todt told the 'AFP' news agency.

As to where the GP could be held, he responded, "There are at least three which could host the race in France." He also added that a new venue should not be created as it would take too long and would be unnecessary, especially with the Le Mans, Paul Ricard, and Magny-Cours circuits ready to go.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/13733

Advertisement

#20 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,943 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 22:38

"I find that it would be a shame if France did not have its Grand Prix. Losing such a prestigious international event could have economic consequences," Todt told the 'AFP' news agency.

As to where the GP could be held, he responded, "There are at least three which could host the race in France." He also added that a new venue should not be created as it would take too long and would be unnecessary, especially with the Le Mans, Paul Ricard, and Magny-Cours circuits ready to go.

And that is a fair enough case IMO. We should have a French GP. Like we should have a British one.

#21 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 22:43

Paul Ricard :up: . The long one.

#22 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 4,526 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 23:10

:lol:

Is Sir Attenborough narrating?

I always get confused between Ricky and Dicky, so I went for the Bearded Tit.

#23 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,956 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 23:25

It hard to think that Todt will be worst than Mosley as FIA president.

Of course one never knows.

Here's hoping that he does a good job.

#24 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,630 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 23:39

Wonder how much Bernie would charge himself to host the race?

#25 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:14

Amen to that. 350kph down Mistral Straight. :up:

#26 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:37

Don't know about 'low profile'. I thought he campaigned on not getting personally involved in F1?

That brings to mind when Max was first annointed President he turned up at a GP and said something like "you won't be seeing me around much". At the time that was very welcome to hear given Balestre's 'hands on' approach, but as we know things didn't quite turn out that way!

#27 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,577 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:45

That brings to mind when Max was first annointed President he turned up at a GP and said something like "you won't be seeing me around much". At the time that was very welcome to hear given Balestre's 'hands on' approach, but as we know things didn't quite turn out that way!

Truth.

I guess the real truth in Todt's words will be if he does actually appoint an 'F1 Commissioner' and lets him/her get on with the job without interference.

I wonder if he is man enough to effect this change, or, will he revert to a Dictatorial approach like his predecessor.

Time will tell.

#28 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:48

And that is a fair enough case IMO. We should have a French GP. Like we should have a British one.

Well it would be fair enough if it didn't mean Todt is immediately using his presidency for his own causes.

#29 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:56

Yep, to see first beheading since quite a long time :well::

Posted Image

#30 jez6363

jez6363

• 574 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:31

Truth.

I guess the real truth in Todt's words will be if he does actually appoint an 'F1 Commissioner' and lets him/her get on with the job without interference.

I wonder if he is man enough to effect this change, or, will he revert to a Dictatorial approach like his predecessor.

F1 commissioner or not makes no difference.

If he is going to interfere and be dictatorial, he will pick a vicious sidekick lapdog for the role.
If he is going to be enlightened and benevolent, he will pick Ari Vatanen... [Not really - Ari for rallying or safety commissioner]

Look at Obama and Hilary Clinton for an example of enlightenment, Saddam Hussein and his henchmen for dictatorial.

#31 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,577 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:39

F1 commissioner or not makes no difference.

If he is going to interfere and be dictatorial, he will pick a vicious sidekick lapdog for the role.
If he is going to be enlightened and benevolent, he will pick Ari Vatanen... [Not really - Ari for rallying or safety commissioner]

Look at Obama and Hilary Clinton for an example of enlightenment, Saddam Hussein and his henchmen for dictatorial.

I totally agree with what you say, although, I did say this.

'F1 Commissioner' and lets him/her get on with the job without interference.

#32 jez6363

jez6363

• 574 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:43

Well it would be fair enough if it didn't mean Todt is immediately using his presidency for his own causes.

Indeed - he should have not involved himself in the French GP issue - not a good signal to have sent out at all.
I wonder if he will haul himself to the UK and meet Brown, to also push for the British GP?

#33 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,396 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:44

The FIA are supposed to have nothing to do with the commercial side of sport... they are the governors and regulators, not the commercial rights holder. Therefore Todt should not be making such influential statements, especially concerning HIS country.

#34 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,630 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:45

Indeed - he should have not involved himself in the French GP issue - not a good signal to have sent out at all.
I wonder if he will haul himself to the UK and meet Brown, to also push for the British GP?

Has he involved himself in the French GP issue? or has he in fact merely answered a journo's question?

#35 jez6363

jez6363

• 574 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:52

I totally agree with what you say, although, I did say this.

Sorry, yes, missed the significance of that.

Still - I wonder if he can pick Max as F1 commissioner...

#36 jez6363

jez6363

• 574 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:56

Has he involved himself in the French GP issue? or has he in fact merely answered a journo's question?

From the article quoted:

"FIA President Jean Todt is a very busy man, as he quickly flew from Abu Dhabi to France to meet with French Prime Minister Francois Filion over the subject that is the French Grand Prix, which was missing from this years calendar and will do so again next season"

Visiting the French PM is a very active involvement in the issue. Maybe he could have done it in a month or two, but its just naive for him to have done it so soon, and as an obvious top priority.

Ditto he should have just stayed out of the Ferrari garage - even if he visited all the others. He knows Ferrari and has no immediate reason to spend time there - he needs to be distancing himself from Ferrari for a while, and getting to know the other teams a lot better.

Edited by jez6363, 03 November 2009 - 09:57.

#37 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:56

Of course, he met with French minister Fillon (a big motorsport fan) and answered a few questions to AFP but it's the usual suspects running rampant again :lol:

Come to think of it, Bernie seems hell bound only to have a British GP on his terms and conditions, what better way to get the Anglo-Saxon blood pumping than to threaten to move their GP across the channel.

Magny Cours can host a GP in 2010 without a problem, they just need to find the money.

BTW Le Mans doesn't have the track to host the race and Paul Ricard doesn't have the facilities or infrastructure to host the GP in 2010.

#38 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,577 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:58

Sorry, yes, missed the significance of that.

Still - I wonder if he can pick Max as F1 commissioner...

Heaven forbid.

I doubt that he would, and also doubt that Max would accept the post. He will IMO just retire to the senate and disappear from public.

I live in hope. :)

#39 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:56

this is hilarious

"no duplicity on show" :rotfl:

Advertisement

#40 Montoya1

Montoya1

• 571 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:02

The key to Todt's reign, as far as F1 is concerned, is who he picks as commissioner. That will tell us all we need to know.

#41 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,630 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:07

From the article quoted:

"FIA President Jean Todt is a very busy man, as he quickly flew from Abu Dhabi to France to meet with French Prime Minister Francois Filion over the subject that is the French Grand Prix, which was missing from this years calendar and will do so again next season"

Visiting the French PM is a very active involvement in the issue. Maybe he could have done it in a month or two, but its just naive for him to have done it so soon, and as an obvious top priority.

Ditto he should have just stayed out of the Ferrari garage - even if he visited all the others. He knows Ferrari and has no immediate reason to spend time there - he needs to be distancing himself from Ferrari for a while, and getting to know the other teams a lot better.

So in his new role you think he should lie low for a while rather than get on with his job?

You have no idea what the meeting with the French PM was about, it could have easily been at the PM's request, and the stuff about the French GP is simply stating what I imagine the majority of French fans are thinking.

I know JT was not the favourite for many of us, but he is in post and nothing is going to change that for the foreseeable future, but why not wait until he has actually done something worth commenting on before dishing out the crap?

#42 nada12

nada12

• 458 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:13

God no. Not that LEGO construction set abomination.

#43 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:15

why not wait until he has actually done something worth commenting on before dishing out the crap?

Well for me, I'm looking for signs on how it's going to go. So far...

He's Max's chosen successor
He used Max's corrupt machine to get elected
He's got Max's cronies all round him - Woods, Thatthi, Novak and the rest of them

Now within a few days of starting in the job we have...

Instead of an F1 Commissioner, Todt himself lapping up the attention at Abu Dhabi
Visiting Ferrari but not (afaik) McLaren
Campaigning for his home GP.

So as starts go, it's not good.

#44 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:19

Jean Todt
Luca di M
Ron Dennis
Frank Williams
Michael Schumacher
Jackie Stewart etc.

I was told that Luca di M did not stay for the race on Sunday. Is it true?

#45 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,630 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:29

Well for me, I'm looking for signs on how it's going to go. So far...

He's Max's chosen successor
He used Max's corrupt machine to get elected
He's got Max's cronies all round him - Woods, Thatthi, Novak and the rest of them

Now within a few days of starting in the job we have...

Instead of an F1 Commissioner, Todt himself lapping up the attention at Abu Dhabi
Visiting Ferrari but not (afaik) McLaren
Campaigning for his home GP.

So as starts go, it's not good.

As I said he is in post so there's no point crying about how he got there now.

So he hasn't made a decision on an F1 Commissioner yet? It has only been a few days and I'd rather he made the right decision than a rushed one. This is the first race since he was elected, and your surprised he attended? but apart from that, this race was considered such a big deal that everyone and his dog was probably under orders to attend.

Visiting Ferrari. Well we know that because it was on TV, but it didn't look that big a deal, and AFAIK he could have visited every team.

Campaigning for home GP. I see a few lines in reports where he says it's a shame there is no French GP, I really don't consider that to be campaigning. But as head of the FIA I would hope that he does try to ensure that there are certain countries guaranteed a GP for heritage reasons alone. The French GP should be one of them.

#46 jez6363

jez6363

• 574 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:29

So in his new role you think he should lie low for a while rather than get on with his job?

You have no idea what the meeting with the French PM was about, it could have easily been at the PM's request, and the stuff about the French GP is simply stating what I imagine the majority of French fans are thinking.

I know JT was not the favourite for many of us, but he is in post and nothing is going to change that for the foreseeable future, but why not wait until he has actually done something worth commenting on before dishing out the crap?

He should not lie low - but he should do what the FIA president job entails.

We know what the meeting was about, at least in part, because Todt told us.
Even if the PM did request the visit, he would have been better advised to defer it - the PM is a politician and would understand that.

I think Todt should be focussing on the problems of motorsport, not supporting his local F1 venue. In fact, given the FIA remit, he should probably be firstly pushing for anti-collision braking to become standard by 2012 on all new cars and trucks, or something like that.

He also has to build trust with all the teams on the grid, and not give them concerns he is too close to Ferrari.

I would much rather he had turned up at the last race with some sort of short term plan - even if it was only flannel about how he was going to be impartial, work with the teams etc etc and then talked about some of the problems F1 is facing that needed resolving (costs, overtaking etc). Hopefully he did, privately, but FIA president is a public role as well.

The whole point of this thread is to watch what Todt does - if he had done something else, then we could talk about that, but he didn't, so we can't.

#47 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,630 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:40

He should not lie low - but he should do what the FIA president job entails.

We know what the meeting was about, at least in part, because Todt told us.
Even if the PM did request the visit, he would have been better advised to defer it - the PM is a politician and would understand that.

I think Todt should be focussing on the problems of motorsport, not supporting his local F1 venue. In fact, given the FIA remit, he should probably be firstly pushing for anti-collision braking to become standard by 2012 on all new cars and trucks, or something like that.

He also has to build trust with all the teams on the grid, and not give them concerns he is too close to Ferrari.

I would much rather he had turned up at the last race with some sort of short term plan - even if it was only flannel about how he was going to be impartial, work with the teams etc etc and then talked about some of the problems F1 is facing that needed resolving (costs, overtaking etc). Hopefully he did, privately, but FIA president is a public role as well.

The whole point of this thread is to watch what Todt does - if he had done something else, then we could talk about that, but he didn't, so we can't.

Watch is one thing, but to misconstrue ever action is slightly ridiculous. I'll watch with interest, but will wait until he actually does something wrong before shouting.

#48 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:48

As I said he is in post so there's no point crying about how he got there now.

So he hasn't made a decision on an F1 Commissioner yet? It has only been a few days and I'd rather he made the right decision than a rushed one. This is the first race since he was elected, and your surprised he attended? but apart from that, this race was considered such a big deal that everyone and his dog was probably under orders to attend.

Visiting Ferrari. Well we know that because it was on TV, but it didn't look that big a deal, and AFAIK he could have visited every team.

Campaigning for home GP. I see a few lines in reports where he says it's a shame there is no French GP, I really don't consider that to be campaigning. But as head of the FIA I would hope that he does try to ensure that there are certain countries guaranteed a GP for heritage reasons alone. The French GP should be one of them.

He chose his 'cabinet' pretty quickly, why is the F1 Commissioner a problem?
I think if he'd visited McLaren we would have seen it. The cameras were round him all the time, a face-to-face with Ron would have been Top Prize for TV. Or even with MW.
If he'd said something - anything - about the British GP, or any other GP, then that would have been different. Only the French though. His own.

Well my mind isn't closed, if he ends up being honourable and impartial then great. I'll be thrilled. But so far...

#49 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,630 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 14:20

He chose his 'cabinet' pretty quickly, why is the F1 Commissioner a problem?
I think if he'd visited McLaren we would have seen it. The cameras were round him all the time, a face-to-face with Ron would have been Top Prize for TV. Or even with MW.
If he'd said something - anything - about the British GP, or any other GP, then that would have been different. Only the French though. His own.

Well my mind isn't closed, if he ends up being honourable and impartial then great. I'll be thrilled. But so far...

So far it's looks like your just looking for an excuse to complain, I'll watch and wait.

#50 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 14:34

So far it's looks like your just looking for an excuse to complain, I'll watch and wait.

Me too. Meanwhile as bits of evidence come in I'll add them to the pile.