LDM still wants 3rd only for Schumacher and Ferraris sake

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 GimmieKimi

GimmieKimi

• 151 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 22:22

http://www.motorspor...p...51445&FS=F1

"This is perhaps an opportunity to have a third car for each team," the Ferrari president told Bild newspaper. "I will do everything I can. And naturally we are thinking of Michael Schumacher for our third car."

How can this silly man be the voice of FOTA? He is not interested in the long term survival of F1 just as long as Ferrari have their way all the time and and can spend all the money oh yes he has the Statander moneyand extra $80m a year from Bernie :rolleyes:. This man does not care if the new team cant afford a third driver or does not care if it would lead to more cars and SC accidents or does not care if this means they would have to build new garages. All he cares about is Ferrari, Ferrari, Ferrari. This man is worse than Max. He is a loose cannon and says stupid things all the time.

This was the man who said new teams are inferior and have no place in the company of Ferrari. :down:

Advertisement

#2 Alonzo

Alonzo

• 658 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 22:36

So you found out now that LDM only cares about Ferrari?

It won't happen though, there won't be a 3rd car from any team and Schumy won't come back.

#3 six tenths

six tenths

• 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 22:53

Wacky words from Montezemolo.

Please Luca, stop thinking about a third car and just concentrate on giving Fred and Felipe something better than a red and ultra-expensive harvester.

#4 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 509 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 23:12

Third cars are a ridiculous idea; even an idiot would realise why we cannot have anyone running three cars. There isn't enough space for 39 cars for a start. Any less than 39 and we're not being fair on some teams. So two cars each and 26 in total it is. Forget your silly little idea Luca :drunk:

#5 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 23:19

Can Schumi not get drive in another team?;)
I hope that it evolves towards allowing single car teams rather than 3 car teams. I think that would allow for the smaller teams to make one competitive car with a limited budget and if refuelling is banned and the tyres last a race, it should be possible for everyone to do the service they need in the pit lane.

#6 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 23:19

Luca said allow a 3rd car for every team, not for Ferrari only.

#7 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 23:36

A complete red podium would be a nightmare :drunk:
A complete silver podium would be a dream :)

#8 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 23:37

With the full knowledge that the smaller teams, just entering the circus, would not be able to afford a third car.

#9 GimmieKimi

GimmieKimi

• 151 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 23:38

:rolleyes:

Are you slow?

#10 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,961 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 23:47

He is STILL going on about this.

#11 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 23:49

39 cars round monaco would be a giggle

#12 karina_k

karina_k

• 82 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 23:50

Teams are finding it hard to field 2 cars on the grid this guy wants 3 :rolleyes:

#13 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 23:55

Why does a third car imply a significant increase in costs?
Only a few years ago a T-car stood ready for any of the two drivers.

There was always room in the garages, there were sufficient spare parts.
I'd say give the spare car to a talented new driver, which does not ask for a million salary.

It would be a good way to stimulate junior drivers. You could even allow them for the practice session only, as was the case a few years back.

#14 Xaus

Xaus

• 602 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 00:30

Meh, why is this so shocking?

Luca only thinks of Ferrari.
Ron/Martin only thinks of McLaren.
Mario thinks only of BMW.
Frank thinks only of Williams.
Christian thinks only of Red Bull.
Vijay thinks only of Force India.
etc. etc. etc.

It's expected. Luca just has a big mouth, that's all.

The problem is when the FIA, the one that's SUPPOSED to be UNBIASED, starts paying attention to one team over the rest. Besides that who cares what the team principals/owners say? Obviously they're only going to speak of things or bring up proposals where they're going to be the primary beneficiary of it.

#15 sleenster

sleenster

• 308 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 00:37

Alonso is not going to be happy about driving alongside Schumacher. :lol:

#16 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 00:39

We dont know what has been agreed in the concorde agreement, however if it says there has to be 26 cars on the grid then Luca is not talking out of his backside.

However I am rather worse for wear so I'm talking bullcrap.

#17 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 00:51

Cant see it happening it would give the 3 car teams an unfair advantage as it would be like extra testing miles.

#18 maccaFTW

maccaFTW

• 704 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:21

There's not enough space on the grid or in the pit lane for three cars a piece.

LdM = fail.

#19 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:44

I wouldn't mind seeing three-car teans run, but only if every team was guaranteed of having at least one car - and preferably two - make the grid.

Advertisement

#20 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:31

Why does there have to be a rule for this? If Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren or whoever wants to run 1 car or 5, go ahead. If they can find the money and enough quick drivers, that's great. If they only want to run 3 cars at Monza, why not? At least in would generate interest in what's happening on the track, instead of the usual b.s. At the rate we're going, there will only be Ferrari and Williams in a few years anyway. Most of the new teams are just somebody's pipe dream or ego trip anyway.

#21 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:39

Why does there have to be a rule for this? If Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren or whoever wants to run 1 car or 5, go ahead. If they can find the money and enough quick drivers, that's great. If they only want to run 3 cars at Monza, why not? At least in would generate interest in what's happening on the track, instead of the usual b.s. At the rate we're going, there will only be Ferrari and Williams in a few years anyway. Most of the new teams are just somebody's pipe dream or ego trip anyway.

It would turn into DTM in just a few moments. Two teams, plenty of team orders.

#22 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:48

He is a loose cannon and says stupid things all the time.

Almost makes you miss Flavio eh?

#23 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:50

It would turn into DTM in just a few moments. Two teams, plenty of team orders.

Hmmm, makes you wonder who Ferrari would back as their #1?
Maybe that's why Alonso wanted to see Michael's contract. :rotfl:

#24 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:00

I frankly don't see the point in LdM just keeping on repeating "We want third car". What non-sense? What is the reasoning? Is it even going to happen?

#25 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:15

I frankly don't see the point in LdM just keeping on repeating "We want third car". What non-sense? What is the reasoning? Is it even going to happen?

Guess it is up to FiA. FOTA is losing power quickly and I had the feeling that many the new teams has Max influence. Let's see what Todt does. Luca understands that not every team can run a third car and he also realize that a third car can give you an advantage. Specially with the limited running they do in practice nowadays.

#26 Chauffeur James

Chauffeur James

• 10 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:30

Why not ask for 4 cars, that way they can also have kimi driving again for them.. :cool:

#27 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:47

Luca is just saying that bcs he has 5 drivers for 2 cars.

3rd car would cause problems for sponsorship.
First of all, revision in all contracts, or the third car would be allowed to have a different livery ?
Then, would the cost of sponsorship increase by 50% ?

Is there room for a 3rd car in the pits, for 13 teams [39 cars] :eek:

#28 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:54

Luca is just saying that bcs he has 5 drivers for 2 cars.

3rd car would cause problems for sponsorship.
First of all, revision in all contracts, or the third car would be allowed to have a different livery ?
Then, would the cost of sponsorship increase by 50% ?

Is there room for a 3rd car in the pits, for 13 teams [39 cars] :eek:

I don't think there's room. At least, not at some of the older circuits, like Monaco. That's why Williams were opposed to fourteen teams: They didn't think it was possible. On the other hand, most of the teams managed to run third drivers in practice sessions back in 2006.

A system I'd like to see would be for the FIA to let all the teams run a third car (if they choose), and open up two or four extra grid spots. The third car would be for new drivers, to allow them to get some experience going. The two (or four) fastest new drivers at the end of the third practice session would then be allowed to advance to qualifying and the race. That way, all the teams are guaranteed to have two cars on the grid, and new drivers would be in with a shot. They'd be signed on a maximum one-year contract, and it would be compulsory for the contract to open up at the end of the season and allow other teams the chance to take them up. At the same time, they'd only be allowed to run rookie drivers in the third car, and they would not be eligible to score WDC or WCC points to prevent the teams from running them as a permanent fixture. After one year in an "audiiton" role, they can move on to a full-time seat if they attract attention.

#29 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:12

Sorry, 6 drivers for 2 cars.
Alonso
Massa
Schumy
Fisico
Badoer
Gene

#30 Kevan

Kevan

• 518 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:01

I don't think there's room. At least, not at some of the older circuits, like Monaco. That's why Williams were opposed to fourteen teams: They didn't think it was possible. On the other hand, most of the teams managed to run third drivers in practice sessions back in 2006.

A system I'd like to see would be for the FIA to let all the teams run a third car (if they choose), and open up two or four extra grid spots. The third car would be for new drivers, to allow them to get some experience going. The two (or four) fastest new drivers at the end of the third practice session would then be allowed to advance to qualifying and the race. That way, all the teams are guaranteed to have two cars on the grid, and new drivers would be in with a shot. They'd be signed on a maximum one-year contract, and it would be compulsory for the contract to open up at the end of the season and allow other teams the chance to take them up. At the same time, they'd only be allowed to run rookie drivers in the third car, and they would not be eligible to score WDC or WCC points to prevent the teams from running them as a permanent fixture. After one year in an "audiiton" role, they can move on to a full-time seat if they attract attention.

I can't see many teams taking it up on that basis- the opportunity to spend more money running an extra car that might not get into the race, and that can't score points, for a rookie that you'd have to release to another team at the end of the year? The front/mid-pack teams won't want to put the effort into running a 3rd car as an opportunity to develop the skills of a young driver unless they can hang onto his services, and the guys at the back of the grid are going to be facing the risk of their 3rd car not being quick enough to get a race. The only benefit I can see is that for the better-resourced teams it would give them an opportunity to try out new parts in race conditions before risking them on the two points-scoring cars

#31 zarooch

zarooch

• 600 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:34

well... whatever, I for one would like to see those fire works! Nand vs. Schumi wooooooohoooooo!! I say bring it ON1!!

#32 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:52

I can't see many teams taking it up on that basis- the opportunity to spend more money running an extra car that might not get into the race, and that can't score points, for a rookie that you'd have to release to another team at the end of the year? The front/mid-pack teams won't want to put the effort into running a 3rd car as an opportunity to develop the skills of a young driver unless they can hang onto his services, and the guys at the back of the grid are going to be facing the risk of their 3rd car not being quick enough to get a race. The only benefit I can see is that for the better-resourced teams it would give them an opportunity to try out new parts in race conditions before risking them on the two points-scoring cars

It's highly unlikely that they'd score points to begin with, but the whole idea of it is to stop teams like Ferrari - who can afford to throw more money around - using the third car to sign the three best drivers. No-one wants to see races where Ferari are the only team capable of getting on the podium. And the rookies can always be re-signed at the end of the year, but they have to be signed to a full race seat, not simply the debut driver role.

#33 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:00

Pointless thread since this quote has been posted here, and discussed heavily already.

But I'll rehash my previous point which is that Ferrari should just shut the hell up and buy STR already.

#34 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:07

:rolleyes:

Are you slow?

I am not the one who titled the topic as this being 3rd car only for Schumacher and Ferrari's sake and then highlight a quote which said otherwise.

#35 Just waiting

Just waiting

• 868 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:33

[

How can this silly man be the voice of FOTA?

immaterial and irrelevant

the real question is how can this silly man be the boss of ferrari....... :down:

Edited by Just waiting, 07 November 2009 - 09:34.

#36 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,294 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:03

red bull have 4 cars yet nobody complains about that

#37 Matt Somers

Matt Somers

• 566 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:11

Why don't Ferrari just buy one of the entrants, have 4 drivers and be done with it. That way they can have Shumy and Rossi if they want.

#38 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,294 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:14

because they want to have 3 equal cars named ferrari :)
customer cars are not allowed so they can't do that

Edited by MikeTekRacing, 07 November 2009 - 10:15.

#39 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:27

Actually, Toro Rosso have been forced to either expand their Faenza base to build their own cars, or sell the team for 2010 because the loophole that allowed both them and Red Bull to have the same chassis is being closed. They chose to expand.

Advertisement

#40 Burai

Burai

• 1,897 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:38

That's because Red Bull have a team specifically for young driver development and aren't using their additional cars to close the other teams out of the points and TV money they need to survive.

All it would take is for Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull to run a three car team each and you've all but locked out the top 9.

This is nothing about running Schumacher for the good of the sport and all about driving further divides between Ferrari and the independents.

#41 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:12

The more I hear from loony Luca the more I can understand the need for a few hookers to get some relief.

#42 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:58

Wish he would let this stuff about Schumacher go

If he wants to turn one of the legends of the sport into a Luca Badoer figure trundling around at the back of the grid he is going the right way about it, hope this Schumi comeback nonsense ends soon

#43 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:02

I vote for Schumi's comeback just to steer things a bit around. Good for F1, good for me.

#44 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 13:31

Luca is doing a good job, what he said is part of a bigger picture.

#45 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 13:53

The more I hear from loony Luca the more I can understand the need for a few hookers to get some relief.

Hmm... never thought about that. It does make you feel better?;)

#46 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 15:00

Could happen easily next year, Lewis and Jenson with Kimi or Nico. McLaren/Brawn

#47 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 17:20

The question that pops in my mind since the beginning of Luca's 3car campaign is why now ? and why for schumi ? afterall he's supposed to be one of the main factors that pushed the german to retire.

Edited by shonguiz, 07 November 2009 - 18:08.

#48 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 17:38

A complete red podium would be a nightmare :drunk:

The silver podium could have happened in 2009 Monza if Lewis didn't... or if Heikki weren't such a ... in Melbourne, Monza, etc.

The red podium could have happened in 2008 Monza if Kimi and Massa could follow Vettel in a wet track.

#49 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 18:05

well... whatever, I for one would like to see those fire works! Nand vs. Schumi wooooooohoooooo!! I say bring it ON1!!

With three cars, it's not a fair fight. :o
It would be a telecatch fight, 2x1.

Masqued Massa and Schumy Choo vs All Onsomething, the junkie. :p

#50 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 18:41

The question that pops in my mind since the beginning of Luca's 3car campaign is why now ? and why for schumi ? afterall he's supposed to be one of the main factors that pushed the german to retire.

I have the feeling that Luca is confident they will have a dominant car for next season. Schumi is marketing value, a red podium is $ and a title fight between Alonso and Schumi is gold.

Edited by Hairpin, 07 November 2009 - 18:43.