Photo

S.E. Asian Race Results

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 06 November 2000 - 04:22

Can anybody point me to a site that has the results of the races that were held in S.E.Asia during the early seventies? They were popular with drivers from New Zealand and Australia with Graeme Lawrence and Ken Smith from NZ and Kevin Bartlett, Gary Cooper, Max Stewart aand others from Australia being regular visitors to the area. I have the results from Macau in the book titled Colour and Noise but those from the other events have proved difficult to find.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,063 posts

Posted 06 November 2000 - 06:59

Sorry, I know of no such sites, Milan, but Racing Car News did spasmodically cover the races. By the way, Garrie Cooper had the spelling I indicate here for his first name.

#3 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 06 November 2000 - 12:53

Andrew Miedecke to if memory serves claimed the Indonesian or Malaysian Grand Prix one year.

As late as 1993 the Formula Holden set visited Indonesia, at the time to christen the Sentul circuit. Mark Larkham took the win for Mark Skaife and Paul Stokell IIRC.

yours
Jonesy

#4 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 07 November 2000 - 06:15

Andy Miedecke won the Malaysian GP in 1979, four weeks after breaking both his legs in an accident at Pukekohe. Were both events Formula Atlantic/Pacific/Mondial or another single seater category? Also, is this the reason he developed the nickname 'Mad Andy', or was it for another reason?

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,063 posts

Posted 08 November 2000 - 11:56

No, he was 'mad Andy' before that time, although the name wasn't all that generally used.
He wasn't as mad as his wife was, by the way... poor Fran went off the handle completely when she walked into the hospital in NZ, having rushed to get a flight from Sydney on hearing the news. And there she found the girlfriend, who had been with him for the whole jaunt...