Robert Kubica thread.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2900 replies to this topic

#2801 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 202 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:15

Wow great interview.
Ive never seen Robert to open like that before.

Advertisement

#2802 thuGG

thuGG

• 1,531 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:31

Thank you very much for the interview. Wow, very good read!

#2803 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,333 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:57

Woah, thanks a lot!

#2804 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 19:21

Posted Image
That's how a three left taken like a five left looks like..

#2805 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,083 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 20:04

Ouch!! A pretty major error from the co-driver.....

#2806 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 20:31

Yeah, good that they weren't injured.

I wonder, if pages of the notes got stick maybe they should number them or mark in such way that the co-driver will notice immediately that he switched a few pages too many. They don't, I think? At least it's not a regular practice.

Edited by DrProzac, 29 November 2012 - 20:33.

#2807 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 20:41

some short (and I mean short) onboard bits: http://www.youtube.c...U...=youtu.be

#2808 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,333 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 21:47

I wonder, if pages of the notes got stick maybe they should number them or mark in such way that the co-driver will notice immediately that he switched a few pages too many. They don't, I think? At least it's not a regular practice.

I imagine they are, but it's not that easy to spot when everything shakes and vibrates. But yeah, just look at the damage of the car, they're both so, so lucky to be ok.

#2809 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:09

Well, [age markers would have to be as big and readable as normal pacenotes :)

#2810 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 202 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:25

Use tablets:D

#2811 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,548 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 23:34

Every single co-driver in the world has all pages numbered with every junction marked.
EVERY SINGLE ONE!

It is the most difficult job in motorsport.
Try and read a book on a rollercoaster - still much easier than being a co-driver!
When you're reading somewhere in the region of 1.5 pages per km, at an average speed of 110 km/h, with anything up to 6 notes per corner (example:4 right long opens 2 & tightens 5 dont cut, in on exit), mistakes can happen!!!!

#2812 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:14

http://www.wrc.com/n...2013/?fid=18019
looks like don' want let him go. wonder why, maybe he has impressed them big time indeed?

Edited by MadYarpen, 30 November 2012 - 07:33.

#2813 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:58

They sound impressed. That is not surprising considering his talent. I am excited about what he might choose to do on his way back to F1. Rock it, Robert!! :up:

#2814 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,394 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:29

Impressed, not impressed... they still want him to bring budget ;-)

#2815 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:41

hopefully that won't be a problem

#2816 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:46

Every single co-driver in the world has all pages numbered with every junction marked.
EVERY SINGLE ONE!

Well, that's logical. I just didn't notice when looking at them. Maybe because the notes themselves are a more interesting sight. :p
Given the speed they usually have to read the notes it may be not enough.

It is the most difficult job in motorsport.
Try and read a book on a rollercoaster - still much easier than being a co-driver!
When you're reading somewhere in the region of 1.5 pages per km, at an average speed of 110 km/h, with anything up to 6 notes per corner (example:4 right long opens 2 & tightens 5 dont cut, in on exit), mistakes can happen!!!!

I fully agree, actually I'm always surprised that there are relatively little mistakes on co-pilot's side. On other hand drivers may be just more prone to errors (so many things can go wrong when they take a corner).

BTW Chris Patterson has a difficult job :p

Edited by DrProzac, 01 December 2012 - 09:50.

#2817 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:52

Question. Has Robert done any gravel rallies before? Or is he billing himself as the new Gilles Panizzi tarmac-guy?

#2818 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:59

Not in recent years. I think he has done a little rallying on loose before his F1 career but I have to check that. Anyway he basically has no experience on gravel. Maybe that's (among other things) is why he said that he needs two or three years.

Edited by DrProzac, 01 December 2012 - 10:00.

#2819 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:11

Not in recent years. I think he has done a little rallying on loose before his F1 career but I have to check that. Anyway he basically has no experience on gravel. Maybe that's (among other things) is why he said that he needs two or three years.

So I'd imagine any prospective WRC program would take place on the tarmac rounds, perhaps with an exploratory gravel run for 'fun' and to see where he'd start out from.

I actually think the WRC could do with a new tarmac-master like Robert could be... I miss the days when Panizzi et al would turn up and give the regulars something to think about.

Advertisement

#2820 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:19

If Robert decides to do rallying long term, I'd expect him to train hard to become competitive on gravel. But at first we probably can expect him focusing on tarmac rounds.

You can see Robert driving on gravel here:

But it was a tarmac rally, so I guess he never done any gravel ones.

BTW from Robert's first rally ever, AFAIK:

Edited by DrProzac, 01 December 2012 - 10:20.

#2821 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:52

Robert said he did some tests on gravel, but what it was I don't know. Anyway he has no meaningful experience on this surface, so it would be interesting to watch him learn.

Edited by MadYarpen, 01 December 2012 - 10:55.

#2822 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:17

Robert said he did some tests on gravel, but what it was I don't know. Anyway he has no meaningful experience on this surface, so it would be interesting to watch him learn.

I think as Kimi showed, good car control is good car control whatever you're driving and whatever surface you're on, but learning how to write pace notes for it, and general experience of changing grip levels and managing a car in those conditions is only gained through competing in rally after rally.

I'm actually more excited for Kubica to move into rallying than possibly go back to F1, it feels like something he almost has had the chance to do presented to him by his injury, and I'm happy that he possibly has the chance to compete at the very top, something his talent deserves.

#2823 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:29

I'd like Robert to return to F1, drive for Ferrari, win a title and than go rallying. That was the original plan I think. But given the circumstances I'll be happy anyway :)

Another video from Robert's first rally, including a very short interview (all in Polish)

Edited by DrProzac, 01 December 2012 - 12:32.

#2824 Sarhan

Sarhan

• 490 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 14:41

I'd like Robert to return to F1, drive for Ferrari, win a title and than go rallying.

Maybe it will be the other way after all :)

Edited by Sarhan, 01 December 2012 - 14:41.

#2825 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,918 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 17:30

BTW Chris Patterson has a difficult job :p

Not as hard as Phil Mills the first year and a half.
Petter just had to admit that, he was so bad in english, that he barely understood half of what Phil Mills said...

#2826 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 19:05

Yeah, Phil Mills too :) So probably even worse :p Anyway I love when Chris Patterson and Miikka Anttila compared notes which was shown in one of recent highlight videos :)

Two great videos (each about an hour long) that every rally fan will enjoy. Robert's fans who weren't or aren't into rallying should watch this! This shows what rallying is about.

Edited by DrProzac, 01 December 2012 - 19:05.

#2827 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 14:06

some nice words: http://www.autosport..._medium=twitter

#2828 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,548 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:06

I actually think the WRC could do with a new tarmac-master like Robert could be... I miss the days when Panizzi et al would turn up and give the regulars something to think about.

I think you'll find that the wrc currently has a Tarmac master.....
Seb Loeb!

#2829 BRG

BRG

• 11,938 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:44

I think you'll find that the wrc currently has a Tarmac master.....
Seb Loeb!

Not to mention the gravel master - Seb Loeb

#2830 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:45

That's not right.

Seb is the all surface master!

#2831 tghik

tghik

• 472 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 00:02

That's not right.

RK has no chance in gravel, but that would be interesting to see them in the same machinery on tarmac...

#2832 tghik

tghik

• 472 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 00:02

That's not right.

RK has no chance in gravel, but that would be interesting to see them in the same machinery on tarmac...

#2833 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,239 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:18

judging by kimi's performance during WRC days, he showed flashes of speed in tarmac rallies specially in Rally deutschland by winning last stage of the rally. so you never know, kubica may score odd podiums in tarmac rallies. but winning will be a far-fetched idea IMO

#2834 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 23:31

any news, guys? It is weird after so intense time :)

#2835 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 15:13

Aaaand first twitter rumours about Rob having Orlen backing for WRC in DS3 are out. I won't directly quote them though, cause they say DS3 WRC in races, so you can't treat it to serious yet :lol:

E: they are said to be coming from italian autosprint

Edited by MadYarpen, 05 December 2012 - 15:20.

#2836 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,548 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 16:28

Funny, I do think he'll be quite quick on gravel.
Obviously not straight away but gravel is a more forgiving surface to compete on than tarmac - you're more likely to get away with going over the limit so its much easier to build up your speed (while learning) without crashing.

An example of this would be his accident in Du Var:
If the same mistake had been made by the codriver on gravel, with the difference in the severity of the turns the same, Robert would have had (in my estimation anyway) a 50/50 chance of saving it.

Anyway, if he can drive with the same style on gravel that he can on tar, it might take him 5 or 6 months, but I think he'll get there!

#2837 EightGear

EightGear

• 424 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:25

At the presentation of the Citroen WRC team in Abu Dhabi, it was confirmed that Khalid Al-Quassimi will enter 8 rounds, but that his car will be entered on all 13. So there are 5 events left. Maybe Kubica? At least Al-Quassimi won't do Monte Carlo!

Edit: And happy birthday to Robert, of course!

Edited by EightGear, 07 December 2012 - 00:46.

#2838 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,548 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:27

At the presentation of the Citroen WRC team in Abu Dhabi, it was confirmed that Khalid Al-Quassimi will enter 8 rounds, but that his car will be entered on all 13. So there are 5 events left. Maybe Kubica? At least Al-Quassimi won't do Monte Carlo!

He gave it to Neuville this year

#2839 EightGear

EightGear

• 424 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:43

No that was Nasser Al-Attiyah. He's at M-Sport now.

Advertisement

#2840 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:55

I imagine they are, but it's not that easy to spot when everything shakes and vibrates. But yeah, just look at the damage of the car, they're both so, so lucky to be ok.

Yes rallying is inherently more dangerous than F1

#2841 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:16

Loeb would win its still a different discipline to circuit racing

#2842 vvm

vvm

• 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:19

happy birthday Robert !

#2843 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:33

happy birthday Robert !

+1, Best wishes, and among them that 2013 will be so much better year than last two.

#2844 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 18:26

Happy birthday and a great 2013 year :)

#2845 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 861 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:33

Found this article in the BBC archives. Quite an interesting read, although a little hyperbolic saying he's 'the best driver in F1' and a little disappointing to think 'what could've been' with Kubica :well: .

Why Robert Kubica is arguably the best driver in F1

Although Robert Kubica's Japanese Grand Prix lasted only a couple of laps behind the safety car, his qualifying performance emphasised again the Renault driver's claim to being a future world champion.

On the Formula 1 calendar there are only three outstanding driver's tracks - where there is scope for a great driver to transcend the level of his car. They are Monaco, Spa and Suzuka.

The remainder are 'technical tracks', where the lap-time potential is defined almost totally by the car, the difference between a great and a good driver on the stopwatch relatively small.

At each of those three special tracks this year, Kubica has qualified what is otherwise a lower-top-10-level car on the front or second row.

It is confirmation of a very special talent but one that is still under-appreciated by the wider world.

It is the sort of anomaly that occurs only with very special prospects, such as: Michael Schumacher qualifying the Jordan seventh at Spa on his F1 debut in 1991; Mika Hakkinen out-qualifying Ayrton Senna the first time they were paired together at McLaren in Portugal in 1993; Senna terrorising the field at Monaco in 1984 with a car from the unfancied Toleman team; in 2001 Fernando Alonso qualifying the outclassed Minardi in places it had no right being in.

When taking into consideration the machinery at their disposal, how much they have squeezed from what they have, how few errors have been made, there is a very real case to be made for putting Kubica ahead of all the other drivers this year.

But for such status to be taken seriously, the 25-year-old Pole desperately needs a front-running car from Renault next year, something the team have not delivered since the Alonso glory days of 2005-06.

That is a long time ago now and technical director James Allison is acutely aware of the responsibility that Kubica's presence brings with it.

"If we can give him a car that's even half capable of getting a championship he'll get one," Allison said. "Not everyone in the pit lane can say that about their drivers.

"He's properly committed to being a world champion, no doubt about that. He is one of those very, very top guys where you know that if the car is not running at the front it's because of the car, not him.

"He's not only incredibly fast but you just know you can rely on him to do a fast lap when that's what's needed.

"You know he will not make mistakes when the pressure is on him and he'll plough out lap after lap after lap at a really good pace.

"He expects a lot from everyone all the time; he's positive, demanding and pushing but puts the work in himself too.

"Having a really top-flight driver like that gives you a fantastic baseline to work from.

"In that regard he's similar to Fernando [Kubica's predecessor at Renault] but the area where he's different is he is more intense about it, seems more fully immersed in racing and wanting to be a champion.

"I guess Fernando had already done that but Robert is just brilliantly committed to making this team and relationship a success and helping us to drag ourselves back to where we need to be."

The Renault guys love Kubica and not only because he is fast and almost error-free but also because there is nothing he would rather be doing than sitting in the garage talking about how to make the car faster.

And if it is not that it will be regaling the mechanics with stories from his karting days or talking about the rally car he competes in as a hobby between races.

When Kubica was a BMW driver he was asked what he would like as a company car and they did not know quite how to react when he replied: "A Mitsubishi Evo 7."

Allison is quietly confident that the team can give Kubica something more worthy of the driver's ability for next year. He puts the shortfall of this year's R30 down to key personnel losses in the aerodynamics department that have now been fully recovered.

"We also have much better tools in conceiving next year's car," he stated. "Our CFD department is now a very powerful tool and we now have a tunnel that gives us a much better and more realistic simulation to what happens on the track.

"There's a bunch of other things very helpful, such as how much quicker it speeds up and slows down than the old road.

"Although it's only two or three minutes per run, when you do as many runs as we do that stacks up to an awful lot of time and throughput is a very important thing in a tunnel.

"Our old road used to take about 30 seconds from one yaw angle to our other yaw angle, whereas this one does it in a couple of seconds and that productivity improvement is actually quite substantial.

"I see no reason why we can't be competing at the front in 2011."

That's the technical man talking. So long as the commercial side is resolved to allow that potential to be accessed, there is reason for optimism about Kubica's prospects.

The team's new ownership regime - it is effectively leased from Renault by investment group Genii Capital - has had its rocky moments this year as it adapts to life in the F1 paddock at a time of global economic restraint.

The bald fact is that Renault need a car somewhere close to as good as the Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari have been this year if Kubica is to excel at anywhere other than Monaco, Spa, and Suzuka next year.

If they fail to provide that, Kubica may reluctantly be forced to seek confirmation of his stature elsewhere.

Mark Hughes has been an F1 journalist for 10 years and is an award-winning author of several books

#2846 jurlich

jurlich

• 16 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:00

Found this article in the BBC archives. Quite an interesting read, although a little hyperbolic saying he's 'the best driver in F1' and a little disappointing to think 'what could've been' with Kubica :well: .

You are about 2 years behind with this article. BTW, this article appeared here also as I can remember properly. :)

#2847 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 861 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:11

You are about 2 years behind with this article.

Which is why I said it's from the archives :lol: . It's just interesting to re-read that article to see the wave of momentum he was on and then it all went wrong, unfortunately.

#2848 jurlich

jurlich

• 16 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:51

Which is why I said it's from the archives :lol: . It's just interesting to re-read that article to see the wave of momentum he was on and then it all went wrong, unfortunately.

Unfortunately, that's life :/ The positive thing is that he is alive and he is doing what he loves.

BTW, his official page is under construction :D

#2849 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:19

BTW, his official page is under construction :D

for more than a month I think, talking about old news;)

#2850 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 223 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:25

Posted Image

"New MN out now: Loeb tips Citroen to dominate, Latvala talks VW, Kubica's ERC plans"

Edited by cravenciak, 12 December 2012 - 12:26.