Photo

Jenks 356 stories needed

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tlc356

tlc356

• 31 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:35

I'm finishing up an article for a 356 club magazine about Jenks and his 1955 Porsche "Continental" that he drove and raced for ten years and wrote about for some years after.

I would love to include your first hand stories about the man and the car that relate to and include both. If you have something to share, please email it to me at tlc356@verizon.net.
Thanks in advance, Tom Coughlin

Advertisement

#2 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,017 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:14

Tom:

If you don't already have his book Porsche 356, Coupe, Cabriolet, Roadster, Speedster & Carrera, it was published by Osprey in 1980 and later; ISBN 0-85045-363-1, later issued in softbound edition (1999) ISBN 1 85532 970 0.

I recall writing to him when the book first appeared. In it, he called his bent-windshield 356 a 356A, and when I asked him why (it was plainly a 356, not a 356A), he replied that it had been updated by the factory, justifying the new model designation.

I bet Doug Nye has some great stories, perhaps including the one about going to dinner at Jenks' home and eating alone, off his one plate.

Frank

#3 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,137 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:44

Tom:

If you don't already have his book Porsche 356, Coupe, Cabriolet, Roadster, Speedster & Carrera, it was published by Osprey in 1980 and later; ISBN 0-85045-363-1, later issued in softbound edition (1999) ISBN 1 85532 970 0.

I recall writing to him when the book first appeared. In it, he called his bent-windshield 356 a 356A, and when I asked him why (it was plainly a 356, not a 356A), he replied that it had been updated by the factory, justifying the new model designation.

I bet Doug Nye has some great stories, perhaps including the one about going to dinner at Jenks' home and eating alone, off his one plate.

Frank

Also do not forget that Jenks competed in the 750MC relay race at Silverstone in August 1958 in a Porsche team that included Ian Scott Watson and Jim Clark sharing Ian's 1600 super.

#4 tlc356

tlc356

• 31 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 15:13

Thanks Frank: That is among the books that I have used. I did include that he had "upgraded" his car to an A and included a comment about his response that he had declared it to be an A because of the engine and other upgrades. In fact, in that book there is a picture of his so called "A" and a friend's so-called "B" when actually they were his pre-A and an A. The very same picture, of the two cars on the ferry to Sicily (in both cases, it had hand-drawn modifications and a comment by Jesse Alexander) was in the book "Jenks", but without the wrong A and B designatoins.

Tom

Tom:

Frank

#5 Mistron

Mistron

• 856 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 16:23

my former employer wrote an article for Porsche Post a few years ago, and I'm sure he included the following incident.

As I recall it being told to me, Dawson and his fellow student Peter Stevens (who is of course Jenks nephew) went to see DSJ in his speedster. Jenks asked for a drive of the car, during which he unscrewed the gear lever extension Dawson had carfully made in the RCA workshops, and 'discarded' it over his shoulder and out the back of the car, he then refitted the gearknob in it's original (as Porsche intended) place!

Dawson went on to work for Porsche as a stylist, so I supose he would then be allowed to make such modifications?

#6 roamic

roamic

• 19 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:43

I'm finishing up an article for a 356 club magazine about Jenks and his 1955 Porsche "Continental" that he drove and raced for ten years and wrote about for some years after.

I would love to include your first hand stories about the man and the car that relate to and include both. If you have something to share, please email it to me at tlc356@verizon.net.
Thanks in advance, Tom Coughlin

This is not a first hand story, but the Porsche's valves needed to be adjusted every 1500 miles or so.

Someone complained about that saying it was a very dirty job.

Jenks replied that you need to wash your hands anyway every 1500 miles or so.

#7 Jagjon

Jagjon

• 89 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 17:50

Also do not forget that Jenks competed in the 750MC relay race at Silverstone in August 1958 in a Porsche team that included Ian Scott Watson and Jim Clark sharing Ian's 1600 super.

My friend Nick Mayman owned Jim Clarks 356 Porsche until Nick's death and afterward his widow Roz sold it.
It has since been restored.
I think Nick bought it less engine, so we never knew the answer to this:-
Nick always commented that in fact the chassis number referred to a 1300S, although it is always described as being a 1600.
I don't know if this was correct as I am not Porsche knowledgable.
But I often wondered just what the capacity had been when Clark raced it, or was it uprated enginewise during Billy Cotton's ownership
or by Scott-Watson.
Anybody know the answer?

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,454 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 18:06

There is a sizeable file of DSJ's Porsche 356 photos here, ready for repro if anyone is interested...

DCN

#9 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,113 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 19:45

This seems to be a good place to ask a question that has been bugging me for years. When Jenks's A Story of Formula 1 was published, the advert in Motor Sport included three or for photos from the book plus one that wasn't, captioned 'The author's Porsche loses a wheel'. As well as the photo not featuring in the book there was not, as far as I can recall, any mention of his Porsche. What happened? Was there a last minute draconian edit, cutting out a chapter on Jenks getting about?

Edited by D-Type, 20 July 2010 - 22:14.

#10 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,454 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 19:53

Good Lord - I don't remember hearing of that before.

Re DSJ 356 stories, I do recall him telling how he left the German-registered car parked one day outside 'Motor Sport's old City Road offices - in a most grotty and unappealing part of London - and when he returned he found a police car parked in front of it, with two Rozzers waiting patiently for the German-registered Porsche's owner to return.

Jenks immediately responded to their greetings/questions with puzzled dog German. Ich verstehen nicht! or somesuch - trying to make out he was a German tourist who didn't understand the No Parking sign.

This pantomime went on for about 10 minutes with Jenks becoming increasingly worried by the faint suggestion of a growing smile on the Sergeant's face.

Ultimately the officer said to him "Sir - I have very much enjoyed our conversation so far, but I have to tell you that I believe you are a well-known Continental Correspondent who won a well-known Continental race a year or two back, sitting beside a well-known motor racing driver? Do you verstehn me, Sir, 'cos I believe you are in fact as English as we are?"...

Jenks had to hold his hands out, wrists together, and confess "OK - you've got me bang to rights officer".

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 19 July 2010 - 20:03.

#11 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,113 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 20:00

Pure speculation on my part, Doug. All I can say is that the Porsche was in the advert but not in the book.

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,639 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 20:16

Slghtly OT, but while looking for something else, I came across DSJ's Wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia....Denis_Jenkinson

Oh dear, never trust Wiki - they haven't even got the years of his birth and death right (or the year he road-tested the Lotus 12). :mad: :mad:

#13 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,246 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 18:06

Good Lord - I don't remember hearing of that before.

Re DSJ 356 stories, I do recall him telling how he left the German-registered car parked one day outside 'Motor Sport's old City Road offices - in a most grotty and unappealing part of London - and when he returned he found a police car parked in front of it, with two Rozzers waiting patiently for the German-registered Porsche's owner to return.

Jenks immediately responded to their greetings/questions with puzzled dog German. Ich verstehen nicht! or somesuch - trying to make out he was a German tourist who didn't understand the No Parking sign.

This pantomime went on for about 10 minutes with Jenks becoming increasingly worried by the faint suggestion of a growing smile on the Sergeant's face.

Ultimately the officer said to him "Sir - I have very much enjoyed our conversation so far, but I have to tell you that I believe you are a well-known Continental Correspondent who won a well-known Continental race a year or two back, sitting beside a well-known motor racing driver? Do you verstehn me, Sir, 'cos I believe you are in fact as English as we are?"...

Jenks had to hold his hands out, wrists together, and confess "OK - you've got me bang to rights officer".

DCN

Oh, that Dennis Jenkinson - the chap who won the 1955 Migle Miglia in a chauffeur-driven Mercedes-Benz? :wave:

#14 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,113 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 20:17

Oh, that Dennis Jenkinson - the chap who won the 1955 Migle Miglia in a chauffeur-driven Mercedes-Benz? :wave:

No, the other one - Denis Jenkinson :)

#15 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,017 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:31

Folks:

Do any of you recall the black-and-white photo of DSJ lying innocently beneath his 356 adjusting the valves (or maybe the clutch) while a slyly grinning Graham Hill stands next to the jacked-up car, his foot about to release the stock 356 jack and let the whole German shebang fall on said Continental Correspondent? Will try to scan and post it as time allows...

Frank