Photo

Favourite circuits you raced on

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 15:25

What was your favourite circuit you raced on.

Mine was Mallory before they buggered it about,and Silverstone before they did the same,it was a real adrenalin rush going into Woodcote :stoned: I only ever managed it in 5th then up to 6th as you exited. bloody fantastic :p

Advertisement

#2 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 17:22

Mine was Mallory before they buggered it about,and Silverstone before they did the same,it was a real adrenalin rush going into Woodcote :stoned: I only ever managed it in 5th then up to 6th as you exited. bloody fantastic :p

Tricky one for me mba, tossup between I O M mountain circuit, Dundrod(mini I O M) and Schliez in Germany which is a road circuit but more like a GP circuit with less run off, spoilt a bit a few years ago when they shortened it and took out a seriously fast section!!

Mick Robinson

#3 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 17:23

Tricky one for me mba, tossup between I O M mountain circuit, Dundrod(mini I O M) and Schliez in Germany which is a road circuit but more like a GP circuit with less run off, spoilt a bit a few years ago when they shortened it and took out a seriously fast section!!

Mick Robinson

Its got to be I O M !!!!!!!

#4 Steve Bateman

Steve Bateman

• 328 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 17:43

For me, in the UK it has to be Oulton Park, fantastically technical and with high corner speeds, managed to hold the club lap record in 1991 on my TZ250A, the thing just carried so much corner speed ! :clap:
In Europe it has to be Spa Francorchamps, rode at seven 24HR races there so pretty much know the way round ! :well: Eau Rouge in the middle of the night = SCARY but fun !

#5 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 18:15

For me, in the UK it has to be Oulton Park, fantastically technical and with high corner speeds, managed to hold the club lap record in 1991 on my TZ250A, the thing just carried so much corner speed ! :clap:
In Europe it has to be Spa Francorchamps, rode at seven 24HR races there so pretty much know the way round ! :well: Eau Rouge in the middle of the night = SCARY but fun !

Well I guess the SCARIEST moment I had on the Island was in 1989 with Mick Boddice and Chas Birks,Mick decided to take his Mothers Car round the circuit one night Just to show me what it was like,now that was SCARY even chas was having an arse tightening time. :|

Edited by mba21, 01 December 2009 - 18:30.

#6 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:25

Brands and the Palace for me cos I saw so much racing there as a kid. Paddock bend was good on the odd occasion that I didn't balls it up too much.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 03 December 2009 - 18:26.

#7 kerrowmoar

kerrowmoar

• 560 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 19:07

Hi Russell
What years did you race?

Edited by kerrowmoar, 03 December 2009 - 19:08.

#8 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 19:35

Hi Russell
What years did you race?

I started in Australia 1970, came over here in '71 , went back to OZ in '72 and continued over there for a couple of more years (don't really have seasons over there). So, a brief and unsuccessful career. :cry: Raced a 7R, an Aermcchi and a methanol burning T500 based Suzuki. Since I really grew up in London I loved racing at circuits I had spectated at as a kid .

#9 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 19:42

mba1,

I suppose it would be a choice between Brands and the airfield circuit at Gaydon, as I tended to get better results on those two. If you raced an Aermacchi, then twistier circuits were good, and gave you a fighting chance against Yamahas. Places like Snetterton, or anywhere with slow corners out onto long straights were bad news, as the TZ's all just streamed past!! The airfields were fun because you usually had plenty of run off. I never raced in the Island, but had a few laps on a GS750 road bike when my brother did the Manx - I loved the Mountain section - definitely a bit of my racing career I should not have missed out on.

All the best.

Ray :wave:

Edited by Ray Oldam, 03 December 2009 - 19:45.

#10 kerrowmoar

kerrowmoar

• 560 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 19:46

Brands and the Palace for me cos I saw so much racing there as a kid. Paddock bend was good on the odd occasion that I didn't balls it up too much.

Paddock looked a lot hairier back in the day,there seems to be no run off at all.

In the footage in "continental circus" there are some very painfull looking crashes at paddock.

Incidentally if anyone has a copy or can direct me to one i would be very gratefull.

#11 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 20:08

Paddock looked a lot hairier back in the day,there seems to be no run off at all.

In the footage in "continental circus" there are some very painfull looking crashes at paddock.

Incidentally if anyone has a copy or can direct me to one i would be very gratefull.

Austalian circuits were generally pretty woeful on the safety front. In addition to the car lobby insisting on placing trackside stuff for bikers to hit, there was a peice of legislation called, I think, 'the Speedway Act' which essentially meant conrete or armco walls were mandatory. Also, when I look at old programmes I can't help being reminded that some of my races, on circuits about the length of the Brands s/circuit, routinely consisted of sixty or so riders. :eek: Maybe this is why I hurt myself over there quite a lot, but escaped unscathed here ?

Yeah, the old Paddock was a fair bit more open and would be super fast now if they had left it alone. But as you say not lots of run off.....

Edited by Russell Burrows, 03 December 2009 - 20:19.

#12 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 20:26

I liked Cadwell as I didn't think I was going to get off the thing there :rotfl: The Ring Road in Cov was fun too but the cops weren't generally impressed and it was a bit slippy before they put the ShellGrip down! :rolleyes:

David

#13 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 21:39

We were spoilt for choice in Rhodesia and South Africa.
My all time favorite though was the venue for the SATT, Roy Hesketh, in Pietermaritzburg. It was a real riders track, which unfortunately, no longer exists. It died along with the glory days of racing in that part of the world.
Still, my memories of the times we spent there, and of the great riders and drivers I was privileged to witness racing on that hallowed piece of asphalt, will live with me to the end. Sweet, sweet memories.

#14 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:54

Phillip Island ! And we're going back there in January for another attack at the Island Classic.

And may I add, Nar Narny Nar Nar.... :p

#15 kerrowmoar

kerrowmoar

• 560 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:48

And may I add, Nar Narny Nar Nar....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

#16 Arthur

Arthur

• 170 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 18:55

[quote name='mba21' date='Dec 1 2009, 15:25' post='4021461']

During the 60's rode every circuit in this country and a few abroad including Ireland and IOM.For variety and where overall top end speed was not the deciding factor Cadwell Park was my favourite

#17 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 23:40

Aintree, Cadwell club circuit, Mallory as it was, before it was chicaned beyond recognition, Darley Moor, Elvington and Carnaby (just kidding on the last two!)

Also enjoyed my single visits to Pembrey and Tonfanau.

Edited by exclubracer, 06 December 2009 - 08:20.

#18 LamboNZ

LamboNZ

• 1,390 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:13

Castle Coombe always gave me a buzz. Bloody fast, a bit bumpy and not much run off!
I have never won there, but always had good hard races. Pembrey and Mallory were always fun also, but had most success at Snetterton.

Mick, just to wind you up....Darley Bloody Moor, tchh! :)

Edited by LamboNZ, 06 December 2009 - 09:14.

#19 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:22

Mick, just to wind you up....Darley Bloody Moor, tchh! :)

:wave: Hi Nigel.

Ahh, Darley! A love/hate relationship if ever ther was one!

I had some really enjoyable races there and my two worst accidents, which both hospitalised me!

A bonkers track, mostly bugger all run-off and definitely brain-left-in-toolbox, an engine-killer as well!

Advertisement

#20 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:39

:wave: Hi Nigel.

Ahh, Darley! A love/hate relationship if ever ther was one!

I had some really enjoyable races there and my two worst accidents, which both hospitalised me!

A bonkers track, mostly bugger all run-off and definitely brain-left-in-toolbox, an engine-killer as well!

Us locals used to call it Darley Pour with reference to the abnormal amount of rainfall there.
HW

#21 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:17

Us locals used to call it Darley Pour with reference to the abnormal amount of rainfall there.
HW

Spot on HW, I've splashed around there a few times myself :D

#22 MickJones

MickJones

• 160 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 14:35

I loved Brands but never won there, kept breaking things, wrist, thumb etc lol. I had a peculiar liking for Lydden too, God know's why, other than that i guess Snetterton was a successful track for me. Anyone remember West Raynham?

#23 Exchairman

Exchairman

• 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:17

Brands, both club & GP were good but especially the 'old' Paddock with the bump on the apex and Bottom Bend prior to the first re-alignment. Ultimate favourite has to be Lydden for many reasons, not a power circuit, superb atmosphere and many happy hours and memories there.

#24 LCRider

LCRider

• 77 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 23:20

I loved Brands but never won there, kept breaking things, wrist, thumb etc lol. I had a peculiar liking for Lydden too, God know's why, other than that i guess Snetterton was a successful track for me. Anyone remember West Raynham?

Good evening - haven't been about very much on the Forum but have been watching and evening to Mick.

I remember West Raynham very well. A Strange circuit.... firstly it was always different each time you went, the first chicane seemed to be tighter and the second chicane too. Then there was the slippery helicopter pad that you just had to go over on the exit of the last corner and finally half way down the long startline straight there was a "yump"

The BFRC also used to run an endurance race backwards on an elongated circuit. I seem to recall that you exited the(second on the original circuit) chicane then had a long straight to to a very sharp 180 degree hairpin then another longish straight before a 90 degree right hander than led on to the old start finish straight. Took part in this one year but the LC was misfiing for a few lapos a problem with the reed valves had caused plug fouling - change of plugs and - magic - not sure where we finished. There was a serious accident one year where a young lad with a BMW had a fatal crash but there was generally loads of run off, and I think not too many accidents - pretty grippy ex- the helicopter pad.

JB sent some pictures up a few months ago incl Roger Winterburn and Mad-dog Mitchell, I think from one of the endurance races.

The most strange thing about the circuit though was it was an active RAF base which was used for firing Blood hound Missiles, and sure enough you could see them all lined up at the back of the circuit (well away from the Bikes)

I Loved Cadwell especailly the short circuit/hairpin. I didn't get on with the full circuit though I was quite quick thro Hall bends I just hated barn Corner and it always seemed so slippery! Snetterton was my closest but I didn't have enough speed, though loved the old Russell bend. Also raced at Donnington but Coppice was always a mystery, Brands (not enough bravado @ Padddock), Thruxton - never did find out which way the circuit went and Mallory, it was wet but I enjoyed it wobbling around at the middle-back.

#25 MickJones

MickJones

• 160 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 18:38

Hi LC, my lasting memory of West Raynham was a BFRC meeting, in the TT formula race, i was away with the leader, Nat Wood and having a good scrap with him when half way up the start straight he looked over his shoulder and saw me in his slipstream and immediately put his hand up and retired. I never found out what was wrong, his bike was flying, anyway i was leading from then till the penultimate lap. As i lapped an F2/3 bike on the right hander at the top of the circuit, the guy changed direction mid corner and we touched, he went down and i carreered off into the scenery but stayed on. Alf Mossell took the lead with no one even close to him and looked set for an easy/gifted win. I got back on track and gave chase like a man possessed, last corner, last lap and Alf came up behind a backmarker and remembering my encounter, eased off, i darted up the inside, sidestepped the backmarker on the exit and won. I looked behind me and gave Alf a wave past the line, i'm sure he was crying :) head down and shaking from side to side. I did the endurance race in 82, partnering Mick Potter on his 250LC, he crashed out of 3rd in class and we kicked it straight and i took over, i lost my brakes after a gallant fight back up the field and after a lengthy stop and new pads we finished, albeit well down the order but not last. :clap:

#26 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 23:11

kerrowmoar

I got my copy as a torrent from pirate bay and burnt it onto a dvd

http://thepiratebay......omo_Agostini)

#27 BrianFlakKawasaki

BrianFlakKawasaki

• 27 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:18

Austalian circuits were generally pretty woeful on the safety front. In addition to the car lobby insisting on placing trackside stuff for bikers to hit, there was a peice of legislation called, I think, 'the Speedway Act' which essentially meant conrete or armco walls were mandatory. Also, when I look at old programmes I can't help being reminded that some of my races, on circuits about the length of the Brands s/circuit, routinely consisted of sixty or so riders. :eek: Maybe this is why I hurt myself over there quite a lot, but escaped unscathed here ?

Yeah, the old Paddock was a fair bit more open and would be super fast now if they had left it alone. But as you say not lots of run off.....

I remember a Bathhurst GP when the 500c grid was about 120 riders, after protests it was spilt into two heats of 62.......took a lot to get the organisers to even do that though...

#28 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:42

I remember a Bathhurst GP when the 500c grid was about 120 riders, after protests it was spilt into two heats of 62.......took a lot to get the organisers to even do that though...

Yes, crazily dangerous then. On an entirely different tack: I think I can recall Brian riding a Drixton Aermachhi, perhaps a 382 ? If so, was this Tony Blain's old bike with a big engine? And if you have any pics..... :wave:

Edited by Russell Burrows, 29 June 2010 - 08:43.

#29 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 13:53

Also....... http://www.guskuhn.n.../StaffIndex.htm

Can I ask what Brian is doing nowadays?

Edited by Russell Burrows, 01 July 2010 - 13:55.

#30 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 16:43

......Then there was Catalina Park, Katoomba, which made everywhere appear safe: Posted Image

Posted Image
Pictures courtesy of this excellent blog: http://velobanjogent.blogspot.com/

Edited by Russell Burrows, 04 July 2010 - 16:48.

#31 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 17:16

Yes that looks a tad unforgiving Russ :eek:

Any views on this bloke's opinion here? :wave:

http://www.bikesport...amp;newsid=5940

Daisy

#32 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 18:02

Yes that looks a tad unforgiving Russ :eek:

Any views on this bloke's opinion here? :wave:

http://www.bikesport...amp;newsid=5940

Daisy

Ah, the road racing champion of the world who didn't fancy doing a bit of road racing. Why should he want to stop others doing something that he himself wouldn't or couldn't do ? Is anyone actually pressured into riding there against their will?

Does Mr Gardner propose banning all sports that he considers dangerous ?

I'm more riled by someone who sat down with a blank piece of paper to design and build a bloody outrageously dangerous circuit.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 04 July 2010 - 18:08.

#33 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 18:29

Ah, the road racing champion of the world who didn't fancy doing a bit of road racing. Why should he want to stop others doing something that he himself wouldn't or couldn't do ? Is anyone actually pressured into riding there against their will?

Does Mr Gardner propose banning all sports that he considers dangerous ?

I'm more riled by someone who sat down with a blank piece of paper to design and build a bloody outrageously dangerous circuit.

Yes , Russ , but he wasn't the only World Chumpian who didn't fancy it . I can think of a famous Brit , who went there once , fell off , didn't go back , slagged it off , but raced well at Scarborough , Imatra , the ' Ring ' etc ...... :rolleyes: , either because of £££££££££££ or WC points !!!! :yawnface:

#34 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 18:39

Yes , Russ , but he wasn't the only World Chumpian who didn't fancy it . I can think of a famous Brit , who went there once , fell off , didn't go back , slagged it off , but raced well at Scarborough , Imatra , the ' Ring ' etc ...... :rolleyes: , either because of £££££££££££ or WC points !!!! :yawnface:

Yeah, what with the old man/ Lutonboy and all, he had umpteen opportunities to learn it too. I suppose the blokes obliged to go there in the days when it was part of the World Champs are deserving of some sympathy, but only a little ;)

#35 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 19:59

Well I think that if a bloke can win 26 TT's and not fall off there it's possible to learn every corner and bump in all weathers :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: But then one of them never pretended to be a superstar with the flash crap that comes with it and needed more than 20p to phone all his friends :lol:

David ...with my stern face on :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#36 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 20:05

It's an insult to Joey Dunlop right at a time when people remember privately what a great bloke he was :mad: :mad: :mad: He has to be thick or have a learning deficit disorder or something....if you work at learning a track is doesn't matter how many frigging corners are on it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

there..rant done

David

#37 Hasselhoff

Hasselhoff

• 198 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 13:15

Ah, the road racing champion of the world who didn't fancy doing a bit of road racing

What sort of a statement is that? There are dozens and dozens who fall into that category. The fact there is no longer any true factory support at the TT whatsoever shows how irrelevant the TT is these days. Even Suzuki weren't prepared to fork out any cash for their 50th anniversary there. Have a look at the average age on the grid these days compared to 30 years ago.

Any comparisons to other dangerous sports are ridiculous and totally irrelevant. The topic is the TT and nothing else, it is unique and is beyond compare. There was a time when riding there was a way into a season in Europe and the chance of being noticed by someone who put you on a decent bike but those days are OVER. O-V-E-R.

Good on Wayne for having the balls, as usual, to speak his mind. :up:

#38 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 14:18

What sort of a statement is that? There are dozens and dozens who fall into that category. The fact there is no longer any true factory support at the TT whatsoever shows how irrelevant the TT is these days. Even Suzuki weren't prepared to fork out any cash for their 50th anniversary there. Have a look at the average age on the grid these days compared to 30 years ago.

Any comparisons to other dangerous sports are ridiculous and totally irrelevant. The topic is the TT and nothing else, it is unique and is beyond compare. There was a time when riding there was a way into a season in Europe and the chance of being noticed by someone who put you on a decent bike but those days are OVER. O-V-E-R.

He's using his position to call for an end to what for many is the most important event in motorcycle racing. Millions around the world follow the races, tens (or is it hundreds) of thousands attend in person and hundreds of riders can't wait to get out there on that winding ribbon of road. Since the races lost their status as a World championship event long ago there's no pressure on anyone to ride there, so yer man's case in calling for a ban can only be that of the ranters who demand restrictions on all 'dangerous sport' ? So, my comparision, far far being 'irrelevent', is highly germane and of course, his only case - and what a piss weak one it is. If I decide to risk my neck attempting to climb Mount Everest, it's my decision - it's nothing to do with the Wayne Gardners of this world. This sort of thing is made particularly galling when the culprit is someone with influence, doubly so when that same person, despite many opportunities, never even tried to compete in an event he now wants to see banned.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 05 July 2010 - 21:47.

#39 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 15:00

Oh so it's OK to call for a ban on something you have nothing to do with, no interest in and no desire to compete in? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'd like to have given him a few packages to deliver so he could find out what riding a bike for money is really like :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I don't need Gardner's advice if I want to ride there, he knows Jack **** about the TT and there's plenty of guys in bars who "have big balls' for saying what they feel. That's why I don't go to bars :wave: :wave: :wave:

Oh and here's something to consider...Hailwood could ride both road and short circuits and his ball size never was a question, nor his ability to talk commonsense :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by Coupe Kawasaki, 05 July 2010 - 15:04.

Advertisement

#40 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 15:15

this is a very true statement being made there, it did used to mean something but like most of these events now its run through tradition.
I think what wayne is getting at was the fact that when he was racing there still a lot of people getting hurt badly and some of the tracks/organisation was terrible (argentina 87 comes to mind) IRTA and the riders fought a hard battle to get this changed so it mabye upsets him that these things still happen.
As for the tt, they seem to be getting very desperate to keep it going, it never needed all the sideshow nonsense years back because it didnt need it.
I remember hearing a story once at austrian gp 90 when brian kriesky :smoking: gave the tt flyer video that hizzy done of the track to wayne rainey and wayne used it to get psyched up for the race :cool: . loved the tt but wouldnt go now, everlasting memory - big trev nation on the rg500 86, what a show and what noise :eek:

#41 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 15:40

Anyone who believes the quote below is nuts...sorry :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

"On a course that long, you cannot possibly remember every corner, every braking point or every change in elevation or direction.” his words :rolleyes:

He couldn't or didn't want to learn it, I don't care either way :) It's up to the riders and the organizers..fans still go :clap: :clap: :clap: , riders still race. No-one is forced to race there. he had a point when it was a GP round (before his time) but so did the riders who said everything he said back then..his comments are irrelevant :down:

I hope he doesn't get into politics in OZ, you guys want to have SOME choice in what you do don't you ?:rolleyes:

David

Edited by Coupe Kawasaki, 05 July 2010 - 15:52.

#42 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 15:49

totally valid point david, im just trying to figure out why he said it, strange as he has nothing to lose or gain by saying anything about the tt. it s not often wayne talks about things he doesnt have a direct relationship with biking wise, I bet BS told him exactly his thoughts on the whole thing which probably didnt help :wave:

#43 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 15:57

totally valid point david, im just trying to figure out why he said it, strange as he has nothing to lose or gain by saying anything about the tt. it s not often wayne talks about things he doesnt have a direct relationship with biking wise, I bet BS told him exactly his thoughts on the whole thing which probably didnt help :wave:

He has a tedious website which is largely about flogging bike stuff but also includes some comment on the biking world; I suppose he gets a certain amount of cheap publicity.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 05 July 2010 - 15:58.

#44 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 16:18

Take it your not a big WG fan russell? he gave his thoughts and i suppose theres not much really more to it than that, it wont change anything. as a rider ive never seen anyone try harder, especially on the honda triples.
Dont know if anyone seen the bsb from knockhill at the weekend, felt really sorry for the organisers, i live about 40 miles away from the track and it was sunshine for about 2 weeks until the sunday, back on topic thats a good little track to race on, always enjoyed it but i liked east fortune a bit better (dont know if anyone will know where that is) :stoned:

#45 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 16:31

We don't need anti-bike publicity of any form from within :)

#46 Hasselhoff

Hasselhoff

• 198 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:52

We don't need anti-bike publicity of any form from within

What you call "anti-bike" others may call "pro-safety".

Just quickly the TT v Everest comparison. Everest stopped being a race the minute Hillary and Norgay stood on its peak. The TT still is one. But my question is what is the point of it? Even thru the eighties you still had GP riders turning up and factory support. The average age on the grid is now probably about 35 instead of 25 some 30 years ago. The prestige of winning or doing well there has faded IMHO, and if John McGuiness has another 30 starts there he will probably have another 20 wins, but how does that compare to Joey or Hailwood or Ago? Truth is it doesn't. The basis of competition road racing ie. risk/reward is lopsided heavily on the side of risk and the only reward is financial. Wayne has a point.

there's plenty of guys in bars who "have big balls' for saying what they feel

Not really because those guys opinions won't be scrutinised by the racing public at large will they. Wayne knows his will yet he still says it. That's balls. :up:

Edited by Hasselhoff, 06 July 2010 - 03:54.

#47 peterd

peterd

• 196 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:05

Oh, dear, mention of Wayne's name certainly stirs the emotions. Can't help thinking there's a bit of PR behind his TT comments. The week before, he took a pop at MotoGP. No doubt that boosted hits on his website, too.
Anyway, why can't he comment on the TT without being subjected to personal abuse (as he has been on other sites)? Would those same critics use similar phrases when discussing Sheene and his dislike of the TT?
Wayne's been there and decided it wasn't for him. Read his comments fully. Given that Honda, in particular, in those days was throwing enormous amounts of money at the place, desperately chasing TT wins, I am in no doubt he was under pressure to ride, and tempted by the potential start money and pay cheque. Could it be that his then-new mate Reg, and old mate Croz, talked him out of it, knowing that Wayne's all-out aggressive style wasn't really suited to the TT?
I'm with Wayne on the TT. (What, a Kiwi agreeing with an Australian!) I've been there and throughly enjoyed my first visit in 1976. I went back in '83 and decided that was it. Never again. The two weeks of TT time are now a time to recall and remember all those faces I'll never again talk to, or share a moment with. And hope the list doesn't grow longer.
But the rider toll continues to grow and, let's be realistic, one has to question when the final flag will fall. Sure, it's a rider's choice, and I respect those who make that choice, but this is the caring, sharing, nanny state 21st century. The Fun Police are all-seeing.
Whatever, Wayne paid his dues (and hospital and rehabilitation bills) elsewhere. He's a World Champion and worked damn hard to get there.
On a more personal level, ask my kids what they think of Wayne. There aren't too many riders who would lend a journo with three young boys their motorhome for a long weekend.

#48 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:27

What you call "anti-bike" others may call "pro-safety".

Just quickly the TT v Everest comparison. Everest stopped being a race the minute Hillary and Norgay stood on its peak. The TT still is one. But my question is what is the point of it? Even thru the eighties you still had GP riders turning up and factory support. The average age on the grid is now probably about 35 instead of 25 some 30 years ago. The prestige of winning or doing well there has faded IMHO, and if John McGuiness has another 30 starts there he will probably have another 20 wins, but how does that compare to Joey or Hailwood or Ago? Truth is it doesn't. The basis of competition road racing ie. risk/reward is lopsided heavily on the side of risk and the only reward is financial. Wayne has a point.

Not really because those guys opinions won't be scrutinised by the racing public at large will they. Wayne knows his will yet he still says it. That's balls. :up:

Mr Coburn, the point is not that you see no point, rather it's that you
and your ilk want to stop others doing something for the sole reason
of believing it shouldn't be allowed. I'm at a loss to see how either
subjective claims on the relative importance of the event, or an
apparent fixation with the ages of those competing, can have any bearing
on the issue?

Mr Gardner should STFU. :wave:

Edited by Russell Burrows, 06 July 2010 - 08:46.

#49 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:56

on the issue?

I have always had the opinion regarding the TT being that if you want or need to go, get on with it. I could'nt get on with it and TBH I was a bit of an embarrasment. But if you elect not to go, there is no need to make a comment.

#50 lukebaby

lukebaby

• 75 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:59

on the issue?

I cannot see your logic there at all Russell,did you not read Peterds post?....you OK? :well:

Edited by lukebaby, 06 July 2010 - 09:03.