Photo

Australian coverage - Ten signs new deal

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 djned

djned

• 1,058 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:00

Network Ten has extended its partnership with Formula One Management to exclusively broadcast F1 racing in Australia, with the deal for the first time including the broadcast of content online, on mobile and IPTV rights.

The new five-year agreement, which commences in 2011, will run until the end of the 2015 season.

All Formula 1 races throughout the season will be broadcast live on the network’s digital sports channel One, with delayed coverage on its main channel, Ten. Qualifying sessions will be seen on One.

The Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix race will also be broadcast live simultaneously on Ten.

http://mumbrella.com...-and-iptv-13697

so...no need to search for bbc streams from 2011 eh? hmmmmm...

Advertisement

#2 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:33

:down: Should have gone to foxtel.

#3 Philip Lee KK

Philip Lee KK

• 357 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:40

One has been doing a pretty good job. keep sport free FTW.

#4 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:51

Certainly much better than what we had a few years back with Ch.9.
ONE has been not perfect, not always live, not always even nearly live with qual, but better than we've ever had. (Admittedly starting from a very low base).

#5 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:05

All they have to do is retrasmit the BBC feed and they fail to do that half the time! They schedule 40 minutes of blathering by a slow moving career presenter and a has-been V8 Supercar also-ran's, and then cut the press conferences after the race.

It's a horrible telecast IMO.

#6 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,145 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:09

All they have to do is retrasmit the BBC feed and they fail to do that half the time! They schedule 40 minutes of blathering by a slow moving career presenter and a has-been V8 Supercar also-ran's, and then cut the press conferences after the race.

It's a horrible telecast IMO.

I don't see how your alternative is better when most of the population would be cut off from viewing it at all.

#7 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:01

I think i wouldve rathered something akin to what MotoGP gets. Firstly it wouldve shut everybody up complaining about the coverage, and secondly it wouldve put pressure on both parties to provide the better telecast and inprove the show.

#8 Philip Lee KK

Philip Lee KK

• 357 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:06

I think i wouldve rathered something akin to what MotoGP gets. Firstly it wouldve shut everybody up complaining about the coverage, and secondly it wouldve put pressure on both parties to provide the better telecast and inprove the show.

i think most races have been live this year, probably except when the cricket was on but the delay wasn't too bad.

at the end of the day, F1 doesn't have the viewers like football or rugby so we will never be the priority.

#9 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:08

Its the best we have ever had it.. but could be better.

Group letter asking for bbc pre and post race shows? 4 hours programme would be absolutely nuts.

#10 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:29

Somehow i do not see ten streaming live feeds over the net. But hopefully i am wrong. It would bne great to have live feds streaming over the internet that werent ilegal for us aussies to tune in to and not be shut down.

#11 evo

evo

• 431 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:37

If Ten supposedly listened to viewers and shifted 'The Office (US)' to a more reasonable time, maybe the same could be said for F1 to have the Beeb's Pre and Post race coverage too?

#12 smithy

smithy

• 2,459 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:54

How much do you think they paid?

#13 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:56

+1

It doesn't stop MotoGP from still being broadcast on FTA.

#14 bystander31

bystander31

• 729 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:36

+1

It doesn't stop MotoGP from still being broadcast on FTA.

Spot on :up: :up: Best option would have been foxtel picking it up and showing it live and uninterrupted with the full bbc coverage. 10 :down:

#15 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:44

Certainly much better than what we had a few years back with Ch.9.
ONE has been not perfect, not always live, not always even nearly live with qual, but better than we've ever had. (Admittedly starting from a very low base).

was there a race on one that wasn't live? I can't remember

#16 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:48

I believe there was one. brazil.

#17 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:54

+1. Foxtel might be able to offer better-quality service, but not everyone has Foxtel.

The only downside I can see in this is that Ten probably won't change their driver line-up: Greg Rust should be wired up to a machine that causes increasing amounts of pain every time he says "Australia's Mark Webber"; Cameron McConville is Australian motorsport's biggest whinger (see his attack on Steven Owen for an accident McConville cause at the Island to see what I mean), thinks there is no difference between driving a V8 Supercar and a Formula One car and seems to resent the fact that he's not in Formula One; and Darryl Beattie - who has the best motorsport credentials of the three - is calling the wrong sport.

#18 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:21

I believe there was one. brazil.

that was live, I remember following the live timing for it.

#19 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:44

It was live because it was on at three in the morning and Channel Ten didn't have anything better to put in its place.

Advertisement

#20 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:01

It was live because it was on at three in the morning and Channel Ten didn't have anything better to put in its place.

Actually I think this was on channel 10 rather than One, with the 20/20 champions final on

So still thinking between 10 & One channels all races were shown live this year?

Edited by clipper, 09 December 2009 - 08:02.

#21 vicky

vicky

• 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:03

Actually I think this was on channel 10 rather than One, with the 20/20 champions final on

So still thinking between 10 & One channels all races were shown live this year?

It is great to find the better information out there.

#22 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:06

i think so ... the annoying thing about brazil was that it was broadcast in HD on one without a lot of notice: i recorded the one broadcast on my (SD) IQ, woke up to watch the taping and found i'd recorded two hours of holding pattern advising me to switch to 10!

but apart from that, i was very happy with the one service overall. it isn't perfect but it's better. i do have foxtel but i'm happy to have F1 on FTA.

#23 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:49

Some of you might be happy to read this: TEN dumps Cameron McConville

Thank god they aren't drafting Darryl Beattie into his empty chair...

Edited by krapmeister, 22 December 2009 - 11:52.

#24 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 13:30

Well done.. as long as they replace him with someone good.

#25 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 21:29

don't think Craig Baird is much better than Cam.

#26 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 21:51

Well done.. as long as they replace him with someone good.

Courtney? Perkins Sr? Will Davison (only one test day...)? Alan Jones?

Not a lot of choice in drivers who have done F1 laps at speed. :well:

If they can find some ex-F1 engineers in V8 Supercars, that might be the ticket for a switched-on co-presenter? :)

#27 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:00

Good to hear, next step, get rid of Greg Rust. :|

#28 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 692 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:11

Dissapointed there will be no coverage on foxsports. Ten has lifted their game however, they had so many promises when they picked up the rights off 9 but only until last year did they start delivering.

#29 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:25

That's because the Australian networks only care about the Australian Grand Prix. The rest is filler, even when the races are on at a decent time for us. I remember when Channel Nine used to play the Japanse Grand Prix live; it was about 1997 or 1998 at the time.

#30 milanboy3

milanboy3

• 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:03

One's coverage isn't nearly as bad as some make out.

#31 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,178 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:05

**** that, FOX makes enough money, all I want is F1 without a bucketload of useless channels with brainless content, stuffed to the brim with constant adverts and plugs

#32 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:24

**** that, FOX makes enough money, all I want is F1 without a bucketload of useless channels with brainless content, stuffed to the brim with constant adverts and plugs

And Foxtel is PayTV. Given my budget, I can't afford shelling how however much it is each month simply to watch two hours' worth a fortnight.

#33 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:23

We say again, MotoGP is shown on both Foxtel and free to air TV.

#34 wiligates

wiligates

• 5,142 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:38

The day F1 goes to Fox/pay will be the last race i watch.I enjoy watching it now but not enough to pay for it.
I can't believe people are still moaning about what we get now.ONE/TEN is doing a great job .Who cares if they put Tim Webster or Sandra Sully as host of the Aus side of things !Once the race starts we get the BBC coverage
Personally i thought McConville was doing a good job and was getting better at it.I was surprised to see they punted him.
These days its hard to really bring anything in the way of news or info before a race that race geeks or even lay f1 fans haven't read about online before a race starts so its easy to roll your eyes and bag ONE/TEN for there efforts but they are very large improvement on what we got on NINE.

#35 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:07

We say again, MotoGP is shown on both Foxtel and free to air TV.

Yeah, but that's MotoGP. Ecclestone seems to favour an Olympics-style system where there is only a handful (in F1's case, one) sanctioned broadcaster, with everyone else purchasing syndication rights. He seems to prefer one syndicated broadcaster per country, probably because that drives the price up as people bid for it. And given the lack of interest - and therefore the lack of coverage - in Australia, there is no need for multiple broadcasters because all televisions can receive free-to-air transmissions.