Photo

2010 Guess the Winning Time

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gillymuse

gillymuse

• 312 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 18:34

Yes it may be a little early to start a game for next season but I just thought I'd get the ball rolling now before I forget or something.

The general idea of this game is before the start of each Grand Prix, you will predict the time for the winner to complete the Grand Prix to the nearest millisecond. Then when after the race when we know the real winning time, I will work out the difference between your predicted winning time and the actual winning time. Over the season the person who gets the lowest overall difference between their prediction and the real time will be the winner.

If anybody would be interested in taking part please comment, or if you think it's a daft idea and shouldn't bother, then also comment :)

HOW IT WILL WORK

1. The deadline for all the predictions is 1 hour before the start of the Grand Prix, I'll post the time in the appropriate thread of the deadline and I'll also post when the deadline has past. Any predictions made after the deadline will not be counted and 5 will apply below.
2. Predictions should be posted into the appropriate thread except for the last round where predictions can be sent via PM.
3. All times should be posted in the form h:mm:ss.000 just to make things easy when reading the times.
4. Once the race has finished and I have the winning time from the Grand Prix, I will post the results from the Grand Prix showing who got the closest results, and then the overall championship.
5. If you miss a deadline, I will take the time predicted by another player which created the greatest difference from the actual racing time, and then increase the difference by 30 seconds and make that your time for that Grand Prix.

For example
If there were four taking part and one missed the deadline
After the Grand Prix, the winning time was 1:36:23.764.
The following times were predicted:

1:34:23.955
1:37:28.322
1:30:23.623

The time 1:30:23.623 creates the biggest difference out of the other 3 with a difference of 6:00.141. The player who missed the deadline would be given a time of 1:29:53.623, a 30 second increase in difference to 6:30.141.

6. If a race doesn't go the full distance (ie all the laps aren't completed and the race doesn't go over the 2 hour mark) I will discard the results.

Edited by gillymuse, 06 May 2010 - 05:58.

Advertisement

#2 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 19:33

Pretty interesting, I think. I might be in for this one, will really try to test my prediction skills next year here.

#3 D82

D82

• 1,392 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 20:47

Interestingly last year I thought about organizing this game for 2009 season. I would name it "Guess The Time." But there had been another competition called GtTimes before and I also thought it would be boring and no one would really care (no offense!).

So anyway, I'll guess if you host it. :cat:

Edited by D82, 11 December 2009 - 20:48.

#4 gillymuse

gillymuse

• 312 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 21:31

Interestingly last year I thought about organizing this game for 2009 season. I would name it "Guess The Time." But there had been another competition called GtTimes before and I also thought it would be boring and no one would really care (no offense!).

So anyway, I'll guess if you host it. :cat:

None taken :)

What was the GtTimes competition, how similar is it to guessing the winning time?

#5 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,960 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 21:47

I'd be quite interested

#6 D82

D82

• 1,392 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:01

What was the GtTimes competition, how similar is it to guessing the winning time?

Well I didn't join it at the time. you may consult to Makarias for more info. Or look here for 2003 results:
http://forums.autosp...showtopic=62865

#7 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 18:16

Pretty interesting, I think. I might be in for this one, will really try to test my prediction skills next year here.

Bet you can't have as up and down a season as I managed in the F1 Pools this year.

#8 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 20:06

None taken :)

It was a competition about guessing both the best Q times as well as the fastest race lap, see e.g. http://forums.autosp...showtopic=70016

#9 gillymuse

gillymuse

• 312 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 21:42

Well I didn't join it at the time. you may consult to Makarias for more info. Or look here for 2003 results:
http://forums.autosp...showtopic=62865

It was a competition about guessing both the best Q times as well as the fastest race lap, see e.g. http://forums.autosp...showtopic=70016

Ah right, thanks for the links :)

#10 gillymuse

gillymuse

• 312 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 22:32

Posted some rules, they may change but might as well get some things down.

#11 garth_b

garth_b

• 2,138 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 23:06

Looks interesting. I might have a go at this. Although I am not to keen on the PM thing I guess it is your comp so you can make whatever rules you like.

Quite like the missed guess rule. It at least means you get an automatic entry so you do not get as penalised as no entry at all, ie a guess of zero means you would score upto 2+ hours.

#12 mark f1

mark f1

• 4,371 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 23:22

Sounds good, except I would only do the PM thing for the last round. It works Ok as a thread for all the other comps.

Cheers

#13 gillymuse

gillymuse

• 312 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:00

Looks interesting. I might have a go at this. Although I am not to keen on the PM thing I guess it is your comp so you can make whatever rules you like.

Quite like the missed guess rule. It at least means you get an automatic entry so you do not get as penalised as no entry at all, ie a guess of zero means you would score upto 2+ hours.

Sounds good, except I would only do the PM thing for the last round. It works Ok as a thread for all the other comps.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll change the rules now :)

#14 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 21:38

Sounds like a fun game, I'll definitely be predicting!

There will probably be quite a big benefit to predicting on the day of the race (especially if there are any question marks over the weather), so will it be all right to put in a banker guess early in the week in case we know we might not be near the computer on Sunday, and then change the guess on race day?

#15 gillymuse

gillymuse

• 312 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 22:23

Sounds like a fun game, I'll definitely be predicting!

There will probably be quite a big benefit to predicting on the day of the race (especially if there are any question marks over the weather), so will it be all right to put in a banker guess early in the week in case we know we might not be near the computer on Sunday, and then change the guess on race day?

Yeah, I will allow you to make early guesses and then amend them before the deadline.