Photo

AUTOSPORT.com's top 10s of the decade

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#51 slideways

slideways

• 3,289 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:11

Pedrosa got the rough treatment as well.

Advertisement

#52 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,455 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:10

Anyone (ahem) who thinks that Rossi has been the dominant rider for the past 10 years is seriously deluded.

Seen Cheap Wine Alesi?

#53 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,927 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:23

:lol:

Sorry--I was at work and heard the boss coming down the hall. Thanks! :kiss:

No worries!

#54 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,927 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:25

I dont understand that conclusion. I wouldve thought Honda and Yamaha splitting their garages wouldve done that.

You could say Yamaha splitting their garages was caused by Rossi wanting to be on the same tyre as Stoner.

#55 sephiroth

sephiroth

• 461 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:36

from 2007 in moto 800cc

Stoner 20 wins 17 poles
Rossi 19 wins 13 poles

1.Stoner
2.Rossi
3.Lorenzo
4.Pedrosa

Why am I not surprised that you have such a strange view. Its like you see reality in some really strange manner.

:evil: :rolleyes: :drunk: :yawnface: :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: (using emoticons is fun and professional!)

#56 Redback

Redback

• 758 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:51

Why am I not surprised that you have such a strange view. Its like you see reality in some really strange manner.

:evil: :rolleyes: :drunk: :yawnface: :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: (using emoticons is fun and professional!)

Strange though it may be, - it's not as strange as Toby's perspective.

That's truly warped...!

#57 Aloisioitaly

Aloisioitaly

• 272 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:44

Toby Moody's MotoGP top 10 has been added today, here

10. Kenny Roberts Jr
9. Dani Pedrosa
8. Jorge Lorenzo
7. Casey Stoner
6. Marco Melandri
5. Nicky Hayden
4. Loris Capirossi
3. Max Biaggi
2. Sete Gibernau
1. Valentino Rossi

This top 10 is ludicrous.
Stoner crushed Capirossi, Hayden and Melandri while they were teammates, he is easily the second best driver of the decade after Valentino Rossi.

Edited by Aloisioitaly, 30 December 2009 - 10:45.

#58 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:17

This top 10 is ludicrous.
Stoner crushed Capirossi, Hayden and Melandri while they were teammates, he is easily the second best driver of the decade after Valentino Rossi.

Seems like Toby put a lot of weight on how much of the decade a driver has been active, not only their absolute performance. It is easy to forget, but Sete was once upon a time a respected opponent to Rossi, same as Biaggi. Lorenzo was great this season, but just as last season he made too many mistakes and I do not think he can, yet, be compared to Loris, Biaggi and Sete. Not after only two seasons. Pedrosa is clearly fast but not often enough ad on top of that his team mate won the Championship once. I would not be surprised if they are at the top of the list for the next decade. Stoner is a different beast, he is unbelievably fast but same as with Pedrosa he is not very consistent and has only done 4 seasons to Gibernaus 7 (finished second after Rossi twice). Max Biaggi did 6 seasons, finishing 3,2,2,3,3,5. Not so bad. If Stoner and Lorenzo fade in the next few seasons, we will look back at Tobys list and think it is actually quite accurate. Right now it stands pretty good as what "is", not for "might be", just as it should.

Rossi as #1 is of course undisputable: 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 1. Amazing.

Meandri is too high up though.

Edited by Hairpin, 30 December 2009 - 11:18.

#59 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:37

Gibernau is still over-rated though. He was only a threat to Rossi for at best one season, and essentially had his career demolished by the Doctor. On his day he was good, but the second best of the decade after Rossi? Others have won more, been more of a threat to Rossi, and have actually won championships.

Biaggi, I could see a case for (although I think I would instead place him in the top 5, not top 3), and Marco Melandri is far too high given his results (which are utterly random).

Advertisement

#60 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,292 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 13:43

Biaggi definitly belongs in the top 3, in my eyes ahead of Gibernau who only was a real threat for 2 seasons before slipping away. Still a shame that Biaggi got forced out of MotoGP, but he has some blame in it as well ofcourse. Still im happy he is still racing and doing an excellent job in WSBK.

#61 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 13:59

Gibernau is still over-rated though. He was only a threat to Rossi for at best one season, and essentially had his career demolished by the Doctor. On his day he was good, but the second best of the decade after Rossi? Others have won more, been more of a threat to Rossi, and have actually won championships.

Biaggi, I could see a case for (although I think I would instead place him in the top 5, not top 3), and Marco Melandri is far too high given his results (which are utterly random).

Both Gibernau and Biaggi weren't that good at all. If Pedrosa, Lorenzo and Stoner arrived in the premier class several years earlier I don't think Rossi would've looked as dominant as he did.

Has Biaggi impressed anyone in WSBK? Seriously? I really question his ability.

#62 Aloisioitaly

Aloisioitaly

• 272 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 14:00

Both Gibernau and Biaggi weren't that good at all. If Pedrosa, Lorenzo and Stoner arrived in the premier class several years earlier I don't think Rossi would've looked as dominant as he did.

Yep, Biaggi's career in SBK has been going quite disappointing.

#63 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 14:06

To be fair, he looks quite dominant still, the old man... Sete gets critics here for being a threat for "only" two seasons, but can P, L or S top even that? UYes, Stoner missed most of this season, but he can only be judged for what he has done on the track, not for what he might have done IF.

#64 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,292 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 14:13

Quite disappointing? So far i believe he has done a very very good job. I would have loved to see what Biaggi would have done on the Xerox Ducati this year instead of Haga, remember that Biaggi was the number 2 Ducati finisher in the 2008 WSBK season behind Troy Bayliss who was the champion, and not on a factory Ducati but a customer as well.

Even with a fair share of bad luck (getting knocked out by Fabrizio, Smrz at Monza) and his injury's due to a high speed crash. And this year he got the first Aprilia victory on the new RSV4 and was improving all season long, and that at an age of 37. I can't say you can call that either a disappointment nor failure. Unless you expected him to get straight victory's and take title's, which in that case you are underestimating the WSBK a bit.

Edited by carbonfibre, 30 December 2009 - 14:15.

#65 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,381 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 14:26

I cannot get my head around how Sete is rated so highly. Hayden in P5 is also way too high imo.

As for Stoner v Rossi.
Stoner has one world title. He has only won races on an 800cc 4 Stroke Ducati.
Rossi has 7 premier class titles. He has won titles on a Honda 500cc 2 stroke, A Honda 990cc 4 stroke, a Yamaha 990cc 4 stroke and a Yamaha 800cc 4 stroke.

Dani is a hell of a lot better than 9th.

#66 Aloisioitaly

Aloisioitaly

• 272 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 14:29

I cannot get my head around how Sete is rated so highly. Hayden in P5 is also way too high imo.

As for Stoner v Rossi.
Stoner has one world title. He has only won races on an 800cc 4 Stroke Ducati.
Rossi has 7 premier class titles. He has won titles on a Honda 500cc 2 stroke, A Honda 990cc 4 stroke, a Yamaha 990cc 4 stroke and a Yamaha 800cc 4 stroke.

Stoner has accomplished nothing compared to Rossi, but in my opinion, even being only 24, he's easily the best driver of the decade after Valentino.

#67 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 14:37

Stoner has accomplished nothing compared to Rossi, but in my opinion, even being only 24, he's easily the best driver of the decade after Valentino.

Stoner has only been in MotoGP since 2006, so that is not his fault is it? And since 2007 while both him and Rossi were on factory rides, he has won more races so surely that is a massive accomplishment which warrants him being higher up on the list than he is...

Quite disappointing? So far i believe he has done a very very good job. I would have loved to see what Biaggi would have done on the Xerox Ducati this year instead of Haga, remember that Biaggi was the number 2 Ducati finisher in the 2008 WSBK season behind Troy Bayliss who was the champion, and not on a factory Ducati but a customer as well.

Even with a fair share of bad luck (getting knocked out by Fabrizio, Smrz at Monza) and his injury's due to a high speed crash. And this year he got the first Aprilia victory on the new RSV4 and was improving all season long, and that at an age of 37. I can't say you can call that either a disappointment nor failure. Unless you expected him to get straight victory's and take title's, which in that case you are underestimating the WSBK a bit.

Wayne Gardner praised the Aprilia quite openly for its handling which makes me further question Biaggi's ability.

Edited by craftverk, 30 December 2009 - 14:39.

#68 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,381 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 14:39

Hayden 2 places ahead of Stoner? :drunk:

#69 santori

santori

• 3,964 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 14:40

I'm surprised. For me, Biaggi's been the only ex-Motogp rider to look at home in WSBK in recent years.

#70 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 14:44

I doubt Pedrosa, Lorenzo and Stoner would do so well if they arrived at Moto GP several years back. These bikes handle more like 250 cc bikes, they can't be compared also with the advances of electronics.

Back then bikes were very unpredictable and could easily throw you off the bikes, not with these bikes of nowadays.

edit: Even a total novice like MS managed to put a very competitive qualifing time on the Ducati last year at Valencia. On the old bikes he was slow as shit :rotfl:

Edited by Simon Says, 30 December 2009 - 14:46.

#71 Blaka Da Uglav

Blaka Da Uglav

• 156 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 15:03

And top 10 WRC drivers are...?

#72 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:00

And top 10 WRC drivers are...?

Is there even 10 to choose form?;)

#73 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:31

Toby Moody's MotoGP top 10 has been added today, here

10. Kenny Roberts Jr
9. Dani Pedrosa
8. Jorge Lorenzo
7. Casey Stoner
6. Marco Melandri
5. Nicky Hayden
4. Loris Capirossi
3. Max Biaggi
2. Sete Gibernau
1. Valentino Rossi

What a joke. Toby, get real will you.
While obviously no other rider can challenge Valentino´s dominance over the past 10 years, Stoner holds a similar position in 2nd place. After that, a case could be made for practically any of the others. with the exception of possibly Hayden and Roberts. As for Gibernau being at #2, well what can I say. At the very best between 7 and 10.

#74 AUTOSPORT.com

AUTOSPORT.com
  • AUTOSPORT.com team

• 16 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:31

WRC

10. Tommi Makinen
9. Markko Martin
8. Carlos Sainz
7. Mikko Hirvonen
6. Gilles Panizzi
5. Petter Solberg
4. Colin McRae
3. Richard Burns
2. Marcus Gronholm
1. Sebastien Loeb

#75 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,618 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:34

When is the top 10 for F1 will come out?

#76 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,957 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:42

I thought they were quite economical on Loeb. Compare that to what Toby wrote about Rossi, his equivalent in terms of records and success.

#77 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:11

Not a bad WRC list. The right players, but in the wrong order imo.

1.Loeb, 2. Gronholm, 3. Solberg, 4. Burns, 5. McRae, 6. Hirvonen, 7. Martin, 8. Sainz, 9. Panizzi, 10. Makinen.

#78 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:13

Largely agree, but Hirvonen should be ahead of McRae and Solberg. I don't think Panizzi has any business on such a list, would rather see Sordo there. But Evans hates him, so that was a no-go.

#79 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,739 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:23

Panizzi was almost a god on tarmac in the WRC (although weirdly he never seemed that much impressive at my home European Championship event here in Madeira!!), but I'd put Hirvonen ahead as he's matured into quite a fine driver all around nowadays. I suppose Hirvonen's long learning years, which happened throughout most the decade, played against him in these rankings.

Edited by paranoik0, 30 December 2009 - 17:43.

Advertisement

#80 santori

santori

• 3,964 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:39

That's a pretty fair WRC list. Sainz is too low, though. He scored more points than McRae in three of their four seasons as team-mates in the '00s, although McRae scored more victories.

Edited by santori, 30 December 2009 - 17:40.

#81 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:57

I have to agree. It must be remembered that Biaggi was not a young man coming into WSBK, and this is sort of a semi-retirement after GP. I think he's acquitted himself quite well in his time there.

If we are only going to judge people on what they've done, and not what might be, then Gibernau should be no better than 6th, and the top 4 should be Rossi, Stoner, Roberts and Hayden, as they're the only ones who've actually done the business and won a world title. If race wins count for more than championships, then Biaggi or Capirossi could be argued as belonging in the top 5, in my view. I can't see anyone else deserving consideration of anything better than 6th, based on results.

#82 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 18:58

Is there some issue that the journos have with Stoner? Does he have an unattractive side that make them hate him? Even his own countrymen have given him a hard time about taking time out to recuperate from his illness in 2009 and saying he was finished. Then no humble pie acknowledged when he came back out and kicked Vale's ass. I thought his title year was hugely impressive and everyone was saying "it's only cos the Duke is so fast". This year the Duke was not fast (top speeds) and riding through illness Casey was the only guy taking it to Valentino and Jorge. His performances after comeback were just electrifying.

I'm in total scorn of this lineup (in complete contrast to the other ones which look very good) because clearly Casey has brought new life to a class which has been about one guy demoralising everyone - especially Gibernau and Biaggi. That changed immediately Casey came on the scene - he is clearly a major talent and if Rossi were not there he would be a mutiple MGP champion. The whole lineup behind Rossi is a shambles. I rate Roberts Jr highly but Stoner is the only one who is near top shelf. I wish some journos would open their eyes when they report on the same event I have watched, having an opinion is one thing but this is just oh so embarassing and the guy should have his pitpass revoked for being incompetent! :blush: No wonder I am hesitant to pay good money to Autosport who lack a writer with the credentials of a Roebuck.

#83 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 19:38

I thought they were quite economical on Loeb. Compare that to what Toby wrote about Rossi, his equivalent in terms of records and success.

Perhaps Autosport should take a look at it's writing pool. :confused: The other categories (WRC, US Open Wheeler and NASCAR) seem to have been handled pretty well but this guy is clearly a clown of the lowest order. It does happen - but it shouldn't - that you get a writer whose reports on an event you attended appear to have been about an entirely different race. They seem to pop up from the same writer all too frequently. I have no idea who "Toby" is but he is clearly no talent scout! I think he should have his medication adjusted or removed entirely.

The Biaggi WSBK debate is a hard one to resolve as yet, I admit it. Was the Aprilia a stellar bike that needed strong development from the first WSBK round and Max did an OK job getting it to come together, OR was the Aprilia near the class of the field and Max's errors in the races (and strangely early laps of heat ones!) blew any title chance. I think the latter is more likely the case although possibly a little harsh. From Phillip Island where Max got spooked and rode the bike off the track at Southern Loop MAx made some terrible rider errors. Outbraking himself time and again, one round I watched on the big screen at a motorsport bar with a large group of riders who were all laughing at the guy he was so incompetent. Aprilia will probably fail again at WSBK because of an inability or unwillingness to spend up on a strong team with top riders. Corser came closest on the RSV until Michelin trumped the Dunlop effort and the challenge fell away - that excuse doesn't work for 2009/10.

Max and Sete are two riders who should be low in the top 10 - even in a decade with few standouts and Valentino domination. In any other decade they would barely make the ten, to place them 2 and 3 is a poor joke. I would even consider Haga to be close to them for ability and fight so maybe Bayliss should be in the 10. He did pull off a MGP win on the difficult Ducati after all!

During the Rossi total domination years I failed to notice anyone except Sete and Max for their weak capitulations and whining noises. I did notice a few riders in the last 3 years taking it to Valentino so most of my top 10 would come from this era not the pervious 5 or so years. How about this?

Rossi, Stoner, Melandri, Roberts, Lorenzo, Hayden, Pedrosa, Bayliss, Capirossi, Gibernau, Biaggi.

#84 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,381 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:05

After Rossi and Stoner I cannot fathom how you would get the order you do.

Biaggi in 500/MotoGP
2000 500cc Yamaha YZR500 Yamaha-YMR 3rd
2001 500cc Yamaha YZR500 Yamaha-YMR 2nd
2002 MotoGP Yamaha YZR-M1 Yamaha-YMR 2nd
2003 MotoGP Honda RC211V Sito Pons 3rd
2004 MotoGP Honda RC211V Sito Pons 3rd
2005 MotoGP Honda RC211V Honda-HRC 5th

Pedrosa
2006 MotoGP Honda RC211V Honda-HRC 5th
2007 MotoGP Honda RC212V Honda-HRC 2nd
2008 MotoGP Honda RC212V Honda-HRC 3rd
2009 MotoGP Honda RC212V Honda-HRC 3rd

Hayden
2003 MotoGP Honda RC211V Honda-HRC 5th
2004 MotoGP Honda RC211V Honda-HRC 8th
2005 MotoGP Honda RC211V Honda-HRC 3rd
2006 MotoGP Honda RC211V Honda-HRC 1st
2007 MotoGP Honda RC212V Honda-HRC 8th
2008 MotoGP Honda RC212V Honda-HRC 6th
2009 MotoGP Ducati GP9 Ducati Corse 13th

Melandri
2003 MotoGP Yamaha YZR-M1 Yamaha-YMR5th
2004 MotoGP Yamaha YZR-M1 Tech 12th
2005 MotoGP Honda RC211V Gresini Racing 2nd
2006 MotoGP Honda RC211V Gresini Racing 4th
2007 MotoGP Honda RC212V Gresini Racing 5th
2008 MotoGP Ducati Desmosedici GP8 Ducati Corse 17th
2009 MotoGP Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR Hayate Racing Team 10th

Capirossi
2001 500cc Honda NSR500 Sito Pons 3rd
2002 MotoGP Honda NSR500 Sito Pons 8th
2003 MotoGP Ducati GP3 Ducati Corse 4th
2004 MotoGP Ducati GP4 Ducati Corse 9th
2005 MotoGP Ducati GP5 Ducati Corse 6th
2006 MotoGP Ducati GP6 Ducati Corse 3rd
2007 MotoGP Ducati GP7 Ducati Corse 7th
2008 MotoGP Suzuki GSV-R Suzuki MotoGP 10th
2009 MotoGP Suzuki GSV-R Suzuki MotoGP 9th

Kenny Roberts
2001 500cc Suzuki RGV500 Suzuki GP 11th
2002 MotoGP Suzuki GSV-R Suzuki MotoGP 9th
2003 MotoGP Suzuki GSV-R Suzuki MotoGP 19th
2004 MotoGP Suzuki GSV-R Suzuki MotoGP 18th
2005 MotoGP Suzuki GSV-R Suzuki MotoGP 13th
2006 MotoGP KR211V Team Roberts 6th
2007 MotoGP KR212V Team Roberts 24th

#85 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:10

I have to say, I really agreed with Mark Glendenning's assessment of Greg Murphy's lap of Bathurst in the top ten shoot out in 2003.

For me that was the defining moment of car racing in the 2000s.

A stunning record which still stands today... and Greg missed a gear on his lap!

#86 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:23

Carlos Sainz has to be in the top 3, or at the very worst 4.

#87 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,455 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 20:40

Dani is a hell of a lot better than 9th.

I agree but I think many journalist will hold it against him how Hayden was treated when and after Dani came in 2006. Not to mention sort of hype that came with him supposed to be the one to beat Vale

#88 santori

santori

• 3,964 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 21:05

I'd guess most of the riders laughing at Max would be lapped by him if they ever managed to get on the same grid. :well: If his 500/Motogp career hadn't run into Rossi's he'd have a couple more titles to go with his four 250 ones.

How about:

Rossi
Stoner
Biaggi
Lorenzo
Pedrosa
Gibernau
Hayden
Capirossi
Barros
Roberts

But I want Edwards and Melandri there, too. :|

#89 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,618 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 21:26

I wish that I followed other races too, not just F1. :|

#90 weiteck

weiteck

• 70 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:54

I have to say, I really agreed with Mark Glendenning's assessment of Greg Murphy's lap of Bathurst in the top ten shoot out in 2003.

For me that was the defining moment of car racing in the 2000s.

A stunning record which still stands today... and Greg missed a gear on his lap!

I fully agree that it was truly stunning, but I'm not too sure about it being the defining moment of the decade for car racing. I remember watching it at the time and was blown away — no-one could have expected that!

Edited by weiteck, 31 December 2009 - 08:02.

#91 RedDawn

RedDawn

• 76 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:58

These lists are always pretty subjective, and recent performances tend to stick in the mind more than anything that actually happened a decade ago. Thinking hard about the list, it isn't all that bad. Loris Capirossi, Max Biaggi and Sete Gibernau were all rivals and championship contenders to Doohan then to Rossi, putting good performances in over the whole decade, while other names on the list have only been in premier class for a couple of years.

The only change is that I think Stoner is definitely a cut above Hayden and has put in some very dominating performances and some brilliant rides when he had no place being in the top 3, so he should move on up, but other than that, this isn't the strangest list I've ever seen from them.

#92 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:34

I'd guess most of the riders laughing at Max would be lapped by him if they ever managed to get on the same grid. :well: If his 500/Motogp career hadn't run into Rossi's he'd have a couple more titles to go with his four 250 ones.

How about:

Rossi
Stoner
Biaggi
Lorenzo
Pedrosa
Gibernau
Hayden
Capirossi
Barros
Roberts

Problem is that Lorenzo and Pedrosa have not really done more than show some talent. Pedrosa in particular has so few seasons so he definitly do not belong before Capirossi or Hayden. Maybe even, God forbid, Stoner and Lorenzo look so good because Rossi has been taking it a bit easier in the second half of the decade? More fun, less work? Happens.

#93 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:41

I fully agree that it was truly stunning, but I'm not too sure about it being the defining moment of the decade for car racing. I remember watching it at the time and was blown away — no-one could have expected that!

For me it was the most amazing moment because he was SO much quicker than anyone else in a series that is generally very tight.

And the fact the lap still stands today!

#94 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,526 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:42

Maybe even, God forbid, Stoner and Lorenzo look so good because Rossi has been taking it a bit easier in the second half of the decade? More fun, less work? Happens.

No way in hell is Rossi 'taking it easy' out there.

#95 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:46

No way in hell is Rossi 'taking it easy' out there.

Not on the bike, on the track. But between the races maybe? Not many one makes more than they have to, in the long run. If your opposition is weak, you can party more. Drive rallies, test F1. Rossi himself have said that Lorenzo has forced him to focus a lot more on MotoGP and that he had to up his game, that means he was not 100% focused.

#96 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,381 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:47

How about:

Rossi
Stoner
Biaggi
Lorenzo
Pedrosa
Gibernau
Hayden
Capirossi
Barros
Roberts

I do not get why Sete and Hayden feature so highly on people's list.

Hayden has spent his entire career on a factory bike and I am sorry to say, lucked into a title when everyone else's season fell apart for one reason or another. Every other season he has not been on the pace of his team mate.

Sete was an OK rider then Dajiro died and something happened to him and for a while he rose to another level, then Rossi cursed him and the rest is history. I cannot help but think that Rossi's playing with him before riding off for the win didn't make him look better than he really deserved to look.

#97 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:29

Top 10 F1 drivers have been revealed today:

10. Mark Webber
9. Robert Kubica
8. Kimi Raikkonen
7. Felipe Massa
6. Mika Hakkinen
5. Jenson Button
4. Sebastian Vettel
3. Fernando Alonso
2. Lewis Hamilton
1. Michael Schumacer

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

#98 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:32

10. Mark Webber
9. Robert Kubica
8. Kimi Raikkonen
7. Felipe Massa
6. Mika Hakkinen
5. Jenson Button
4. Sebastian Vettel
3. Fernando Alonso
2. Lewis Hamilton
1. Michael Schumacer

I think Kubica is a touch too high on that list.

I'd have placed him about 11th or 12th at this point in his career.

Juan Pablo Montoya certainly deserves a place I reckon, he was quite awesome in F1 for a time.

#99 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,739 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:33

10. Mark Webber
9. Robert Kubica
8. Kimi Raikkonen
7. Felipe Massa
6. Mika Hakkinen
5. Jenson Button
4. Sebastian Vettel
3. Fernando Alonso
2. Lewis Hamilton
1. Michael Schumacer

That's a little weird and a bit too focused on what happened the last 2 or 3 years. Had they swapped Kimi with Seb it'd be okay.

JPM should be there too somewhere.

Edited by paranoik0, 31 December 2009 - 11:33.

Advertisement

#100 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:42

For those doubting the list exists, here is the top...

Worth point out that the list appears to be the opinion of Tony Dodgins alone rather than the whole team.

Or am I missing something here?

Posted Image

Edited by potmotr, 31 December 2009 - 11:43.