Photo

Alonso commitment to Ferrari

• Please log in to reply
321 replies to this topic

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 15:22

...also mentioning that Ferrari's new recruit Fernando Alonso phones every day asking for details of the 2010 car.

Source

Is really necessary to call everyday?, what about the e-mail?. Is not a critic against Alonso is just that I find it to extremist.

Advertisement

#2 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 15:27

Source

Is really necessary to call everyday?, what about the e-mail?. Is not a critic against Alonso is just that I find it to extremist.

The boy's keen, what's wrong with that? :)

And he probably doesn't call just to ask about the car.

There's no doubt a million little things Alonso is sorting out.

Like that fancy Ferrari ski trip to Madona di Campiglio.

He's probably having a boot fitting at the factory.

#3 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 15:31

Im sure thats what Luca wants. A schumi style work ethic and interest in the team.

Its a morale boost for the whole factory. It gathers the team around him.

Excellent stuff from Alonso.

The class driver of the field.

#4 Demo.

Demo.

• 1,205 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 15:31

more likely worried he is going to be in a dog of a car like the Ferrari was last season.
Or just checking which colour the road car he will be given from Ferrari will be :rotfl:
Or to be fair to him he could just be trying to get as much information as he can so he can add it to his list of things to blackmail Ferrari with when things go wrong.
or all of the above

Edited by Demo., 30 December 2009 - 15:40.

#5 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 15:33

That article is fairly broad, and how reliable are the quotes?

Isn't GMM super shifty, using Google translator to get their Italian quotes into English?

That's dodgy.

#6 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 15:35

...also mentioning that Ferrari's new recruit Fernando Alonso phones every day asking for details of the 2010 car.

That sounds disturbing.

Fernando must be terrified of driving another midfield car...

#7 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 15:41

He's probably only ringing to see if Massa's called before him :)

#8 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,756 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 15:42

Source

I remember the same sort of comment being made about MS when he joined Ferrari. I wouldn't take it to literally.

#9 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 15:44

Given Ferrari's comments about Raikkonen not having the level of committment they wanted, it is hardly surprising for Fernando to want to show he's El Schumi II.

#10 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 977 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 15:47

Im sure thats what Luca wants. A schumi style work ethic and interest in the team.

Its a morale boost for the whole factory. It gathers the team around him.

Excellent stuff from Alonso.

The class driver of the field.

Well, Rubens has been sleeping at the williams factory, that is much more commitment than a simple phone call a day...

Rubens, class driver of the field :smoking:

Edited by Ramses1348, 30 December 2009 - 15:47.

#11 nateshan

nateshan

• 154 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 15:59

Source

Really don't want to derail this thread, But commenting on the source, It sounds like Domenicalli was the one who wanted Alonso more than LDM? Maybe he wants to prove that he can manage/produce a winning team other than the one managed by Todt?

#12 mistergagaX

mistergagaX

• 95 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:01

You'd better hope that everything on earth goes Alonso's way, because if it doesn't, the **** storm that Ferrari will suffer will be legendary...Just ask the McLaren fans

My advice to Ferrari: Watch your back. Alonso will stab you right in it in a heartbeat. Be VERY careful.

#13 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:08

I'm sure Alonso wants to prove he's very committed, but I think that comment from Domenicali is a bit of an exaggeration, I mean I'm pretty sure he doesn't call them literally every single day, probably SD just wants to emphasize his point.;)

#14 Mungo Fangio of the Year

Mungo Fangio of the Year

• 565 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:09

You'd better hope that everything on earth goes Alonso's way, because if it doesn't, the **** storm that Ferrari will suffer will be legendary...Just ask the McLaren fans

My advice to Ferrari: Watch your back. Alonso will stab you right in it in a heartbeat. Be VERY careful.

If things go right it'll be lovefest, but if things go wrong there'll be knives in everyones backs, including Ferrie's. :lol:

#15 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:09

Who really believes Alonso calls every day?Im pretty sure he is very up to date and involved into Ferrari far more then Kimi was and he needs to be.

But im sure that Alonso wants to control things a lot, as much as he can to get the 2010 Ferrari to his likings and that's not a bad thing.

#16 mistergagaX

mistergagaX

• 95 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:10

No driver before they drove for another team has openly called the team cheats and claimed he will not drive for it

Alonso is the only arrogant driver to do this.

He is coming to Ferrari because of what Ferrari can do for him...his dream team was Macca and he messed that up. He is only saying he is joining Ferrari at the right time of his career.

All this hype about your car next year? It's only hype. Be prepared for more of the same. Even if you do get a good car, you'd better hope it's light years ahead of the Mercedes. If it isn't, you have no hope. Nor does my McLaren.

Michael is back. All bets are off.

#17 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:13

Will be interesting to see if he can win a race next year or not. I wouldn't talk about championships.

#18 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:17

Will be interesting to see if he can win a race next year or not. I wouldn't talk about championships.

I'm an Alonso fan, but I agree. :|

I really don't think Ferrari will fight for the championship next year. But yeah, I'm pessimistic by nature.

#19 Mungo Fangio of the Year

Mungo Fangio of the Year

• 565 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:21

Why so pessimistic people? All Italian team with latin drivers will rule the grid!

Advertisement

#20 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

He's probably only ringing to see if Massa's called before him :)

:lol:

#21 mstar

mstar

• 1,837 posts

alonso what a kiss arse :rotfl:

trying to get any advantage he can over massa, probably asks can i cut holes or bend carbon fibre for the people working in the factory lol
just imagine him saying to Luca
"luca must be something i can, can i clean the factory??"
luca replies "no fernando we have cleaners already, ur the driver thats all we want u to do thanks"
fernando: "uffffhhh"
luca: "but michael made a mean pasta and saurce"
Fernando: "right i am coming with my pots and pans straight away"

:rotfl:

Edited by mstar, 30 December 2009 - 16:22.

#22 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Why so pessimistic people? All Italian team with latin drivers will rule the grid!

Or implode

#23 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:23

alonso what a kiss arse :rotfl:

trying to get any advantage he can over massa, probably asks can i cut holes or bend carbon fibre for the people working in the factory lol
just imagine him saying to Luca
"luca must be something i can, can i clean the factory??"
uca replies "no fernando we have cleaners already, ur the driver thats all we want u to do thanks"
fernando: "uffffhhh"

'' Luca did i mention i'm a two time World Champ ''

Nudge Nudge, wink wink

#24 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:23

I'm an Alonso fan, but I agree. :|

I really don't think Ferrari will fight for the championship next year. But yeah, I'm pessimistic by nature.

Why not? They were one of the first to concentrate fully on 2010.

His magic development skills weren't doing the job at Renault 'because they were a small team' or sth. I guess Ferrari will be fully able to exploit FA's skills. And it looks like he's fully committed too (see OP).

The only problem seems to be heavy competition. MS, Vettel, Massa, Hamilton, Button and maybe more can all win races.. Is FA ready to fight at the pointy end of the grid again? Or is he worried....(see OP)? :smoking:

#25 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:24

Maybe everyone is more bored in January, with no testing til february.

Alonso is very private person, we hardly see or hear much from him in the winter, no race of champions or karting, , he's a recluse.

It seems a long time to testing compared to any other time this decade on the forums! :smoking:

Edited by SeanValen, 30 December 2009 - 16:26.

#26 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:30

This alone will bring 0.6s to the car :rotfl:

#27 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:46

I think it's great from Fernando showing such an interest in how the team is doing already before he's formally signed. In that sense he's much more like Michael, and I'm sure his interest in how details are managed only further motivates the side of the garage that had to do with Kimi's mumbles and insecurity with regrads to him wanting to commit to the future in the latest three years.

The stuff about Alonso's personality has clearly been exaggerated by the media. The situation he faced in McLaren was quite unique, with a sublimely-talented least-as-good rookie, who was prepared to exploit his excellence immediately. Alonso probably thought 2007 was going to be he against Kimi and possibly Felipe, and then came Lewis (the equivalence of coming from the Academy in Football) into McLaren and gets the emotional support. Alonso, just 26 by then, remember, lashed out due to factors we can't be 100 % sure of, but it's no bad guess that Anthony Hamilton and Ron Dennis were involved, and that something indeed was amiss with Fernando's car in the final two rounds, where he was way off the pace.

He's made GP2 standouts such as Piquet and Grosjean look terrible in the last two years, showing just how good he is, and when Alonso is tuned into something, the rest of the field better watch out. What fancy a 20 € bet on him for the 2010 title?

#28 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 16:51

I think it's great from Fernando showing such an interest in how the team is doing already before he's formally signed. In that sense he's much more like Michael, and I'm sure his interest in how details are managed only further motivates the side of the garage that had to do with Kimi's mumbles and insecurity with regrads to him wanting to commit to the future in the latest three years.

The stuff about Alonso's personality has clearly been exaggerated by the media. The situation he faced in McLaren was quite unique, with a sublimely-talented least-as-good rookie, who was prepared to exploit his excellence immediately. Alonso probably thought 2007 was going to be he against Kimi and possibly Felipe, and then came Lewis (the equivalence of coming from the Academy in Football) into McLaren and gets the emotional support. Alonso, just 26 by then, remember, lashed out due to factors we can't be 100 % sure of, but it's no bad guess that Anthony Hamilton and Ron Dennis were involved, and that something indeed was amiss with Fernando's car in the final two rounds, where he was way off the pace.

He's made GP2 standouts such as Piquet and Grosjean look terrible in the last two years, showing just how good he is, and when Alonso is tuned into something, the rest of the field better watch out. What fancy a 20 € bet on him for the 2010 title?

So it was the car back then?;)

#29 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,556 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:00

It will be funny if Schumacher and Brawn beat Alonso and Ferrari... That is a big screwjob by Luca if that happens...

Edited by George Costanza, 30 December 2009 - 17:01.

#30 feynman

feynman

• 264 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:01

Probably force of habit, getting on his mobile phone every day to ask technical questions about the Ferrari car.

#31 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:12

It will be funny if Schumacher and Brawn beat Alonso and Ferrari... That is a big screwjob by Luca if that happens...

It would be funny if Alonso, Massa and Ferrari beat everyone and won the 2010 WDC and WCC over Schumacher, Hamilton, Mercedes and Brawn. That would make most posters on this board look like clowns :lol:

#32 peroa

peroa

• 10,783 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:15

I heard Massa calls twice a day.
:p

#33 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,110 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:24

Here's the original interview in italian: http://www.lastampa....24420girata.asp

The exact quote from that translates as: "Last time he was here was in mid-december. he's called everyday since then to see if the new car is performing as we expect in simulations."

The more interesting quote is that he wants to be allowed to do 2 stops for tyre changes rather than just one (??) and that fuel weight, brake wear and tyre wear will be their biggest concerns.

Edited by quasi C, 30 December 2009 - 17:24.

#34 Mungo Fangio of the Year

Mungo Fangio of the Year

• 565 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:32

Probably force of habit, getting on his mobile phone every day to ask technical questions about the Ferrari car.

:lol:

#35 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,227 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:34

Ouch. :lol:

#36 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:40

.............. lashed out due to factors we can't be 100 % sure of...........

Oh,here's a factor you can be a 100% sure of:

Posted Image

Dour guy to the left having just been beaten to the win with the title slipping away. Not even blatant team orders could hand him the win.

Point is,whatever Alonso may be,he'll continue to remain a sore loser. With Felipe Massa-a better driver that also happens to be much less accommodating than Fisichella at Renault-as partner,there's only one set of fans that could end up looking like clowns on this forum. ;)

Edited by BRK, 30 December 2009 - 17:41.

#37 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:42

Aldo: "Fernando, why are you texting me?, i'm right here next to you!"
Alonso: "Oh yeah, sorry, how does the brake bias work again ?"

#38 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 710 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:46

there's only one set of fans that could end up looking like clowns on this forum.;)

Ham fans (Alonso haters) ?

#39 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:59

I question the quotes because I don't think Alonso did this at Renault and McLaren. No doubt he rings occasionally maybe twice/three times a week, but what new can happen every day when the car design is fixed and finished and the only thing left is building.

Advertisement

#40 Amrl

Amrl

• 785 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 18:06

Incredible dedication from the Spaniard, he truly is the best in the sport (after Schumi). Can you imagine Raikkonen, the driver he replaced, phoning even once? It must have been so demoralizing for Domenicali, severely compromising his ability to work as the team principal. Alonso has revitalized Domenicali and the entire Ferrari team.

#41 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 18:17

^ Go easy on the cheese,sunshine-dripping all over.

I question the quotes because I don't think Alonso did this at Renault and McLaren. No doubt he rings occasionally maybe twice/three times a week, but what new can happen every day when the car design is fixed and finished and the only thing left is building.

Don't forget the off-season's particularly dull this year,given the lack of testing-I wouldn't read too much into it.

#42 Mungo Fangio of the Year

Mungo Fangio of the Year

• 565 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 18:31

Incredible dedication from the Spaniard, he truly is the best in the sport (after Schumi). Can you imagine Raikkonen, the driver he replaced, phoning even once? It must have been so demoralizing for Domenicali, severely compromising his ability to work as the team principal. Alonso has revitalized Domenicali and the entire Ferrari team.

:rotfl: killing me here, I like your humour :cool:

#43 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 18:33

+1 :lol:

#44 Sisplatin

Sisplatin

• 501 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 18:39

:lol: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#45 niallmckiernan

niallmckiernan

• 346 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 18:40

Oh,here's a factor you can be a 100% sure of:

Posted Image

Dour guy to the left having just been beaten to the win with the title slipping away. Not even blatant team orders could hand him the win.

Point is,whatever Alonso may be,he'll continue to remain a sore loser. With Felipe Massa-a better driver that also happens to be much less accommodating than Fisichella at Renault-as partner,there's only one set of fans that could end up looking like clowns on this forum.;)

IIRC the Renault pit crew made a mistake costing Alonso a good deal of time, hindering his chance of winning.

Your surprised how disgruntled he seems having finished second to Schumacher. Frankly I'm glad. He wouldn't be much of a competitor if he looked pleased.

Edited by niallmckiernan, 30 December 2009 - 18:41.

#46 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 18:41

Ferrari's new found source of motivation was actually employed a while ago, when Alonso spent a few days before Singapore coaching their test drivers at the factory. That's what allowed Fisico to match Kimi's much hyped race pace...right?  ;)

#47 Sisplatin

Sisplatin

• 501 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 18:43

IIRC the Renault pit crew made a mistake costing Alonso a good deal of time, hindering his chance of winning.

Your surprised how disgruntled he seems having finished second to Schumacher. Frankly I'm glad. He wouldn't be much of a competitor if he looked pleased.

No, Alonso couldnt handle his tyres properly and the pit crew did make a mistake making it 5 sec more, but he was 30 sec ahead of 2nd place at the point :cat:

#48 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 19:39

Holly crap !!!

#49 ZenSpeed

ZenSpeed

• 1,192 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 19:59

email? why send 20 emails for a conversation (question, answer, new question, explanation, etc), when you can chat 10 minutes and be done with it?

#50 Mungo Fangio of the Year

Mungo Fangio of the Year

• 565 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 22:07

email? why send 20 emails for a conversation (question, answer, new question, explanation, etc), when you can chat 10 minutes and be done with it?

But that's too fast! Insanely fast!