Photo

World titles with South African mechanics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 slippery sam

slippery sam

• 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 13:25

I have often wondered how many world titles have been won on bikes prepared by South African mechanics.Anyone like to hazard a guess ?.

Advertisement

#2 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 14:28

I have often wondered how many world titles have been won on bikes prepared by South African mechanics.Anyone like to hazard a guess ?.

If you mean Southern African (including Rhodesian) mechanics, I´ll play.  ;)
Well, how many W/C´s did Nobby Clark spanner for when they won titles? Just off the top of my head, Jim Redman, Mike Hailwood, Agostini, Roberts, Lawson.......any more?
Then there was Korkie´s brother, Derek "Dozy" Ballington, who worked for Korkie during his entire career, so was obviously responsible for his 4 world titles.
Trevor Tilbury who, together with Nobby, worked for Roberts snr when he won his titles.
Keith Peterson and Greg Irvine who preped Jon Ekerold´s bikes in his championship year.
I can´t think of any more at the moment, but I´m sure there must be others.

#3 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 16:22

If you mean Southern African (including Rhodesian) mechanics, I´ll play. ;)
Well, how many W/C´s did Nobby Clark spanner for when they won titles? Just off the top of my head, Jim Redman, Mike Hailwood, Agostini, Roberts, Lawson.......any more?
Then there was Korkie´s brother, Derek "Dozy" Ballington, who worked for Korkie during his entire career, so was obviously responsible for his 4 world titles.
Trevor Tilbury who, together with Nobby, worked for Roberts snr when he won his titles.
Keith Peterson and Greg Irvine who preped Jon Ekerold´s bikes in his championship year.
I can´t think of any more at the moment, but I´m sure there must be others.

I thought Peter Aldridge was Jons mechanic that year?

#4 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:38

I thought Peter Aldridge was Jons mechanic that year?

Sorry, just seen your querry now Mr Fu. According to "the Privateer", Jon´s autobiography, Peter was with him in 1978 and 79, but not 1980, when Keith Peterson and Greg Irvine joined him. (Keith being Rhodesian of course :smoking: )
He speaks very highly and respectfully of Peter though, and it appears that, aside of their working relationship, they were very good friends as well. :up:

#5 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:45

Sorry, just seen your querry now Mr Fu. According to "the Privateer", Jon´s autobiography, Peter was with him in 1978 and 79, but not 1980, when Keith Peterson and Greg Irvine joined him. (Keith being Rhodesian of course :smoking: )
He speaks very highly and respectfully of Peter though, and it appears that, aside of their working relationship, they were very good friends as well. :up:

Ah Ha! Ta very muchly! :wave: