Spa 2010

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jackhjharding

jackhjharding

• 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:04

Dear all,

I am travelling to Spa this August with 3 other mates for the GP weekend. We are going to drive and camp somewhere near the circuit so we can get up early and get some good viewing spots.

Can anybody recommend a camp site close to the track? What day do you need to get there to guarantee a spot? We were thinking Thursday afternoon?

Cheers

Jack

Advertisement

#2 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:52

Hi mate,
I camped in 2007 near the town of Stavelot. I wouldn't so it again, the camp site was far too far from the circuit and from Stavelot itself.

However, there is a big camp right up the top of the circuit by Les Combes.

Seemed packed with Euro campers, like Germans and Dutch with giant camping vans.

Thursday afternoon would be fine I reckon. But TAKE EAR PLUGS! The European F1 campsites are really, really noisy as many nations seem to bring the world's biggest set ups with huge speakers etc.

Have fun!

#3 jackhjharding

jackhjharding

• 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 16:37

Hi mate,
I camped in 2007 near the town of Stavelot. I wouldn't so it again, the camp site was far too far from the circuit and from Stavelot itself.

However, there is a big camp right up the top of the circuit by Les Combes.

Seemed packed with Euro campers, like Germans and Dutch with giant camping vans.

Thursday afternoon would be fine I reckon. But TAKE EAR PLUGS! The European F1 campsites are really, really noisy as many nations seem to bring the world's biggest set ups with huge speakers etc.

Have fun!

That's great, cheers!

Do you know how much per person per night it would be to camp in the Les Combes campsite?

#4 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 19:06

I went to Spa in 2007 and I seriously can not think of anything worse than camping. I don't mind roughing it at all, but the hordes of central Europeans playing A-ha and techno all night long would stretch my tolerance levels to the limit. Walking through Francorchamps to the circuit was bad enough!

Instead we booked a B&B (much like a Travelodge) on the Belgian/German/Netherlands border (the name of the place escapes me) and jumped on a coach each day which only took 30-45 mins.

#5 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 19:42

I went to Spa in 2007 and I seriously can not think of anything worse than camping. I don't mind roughing it at all, but the hordes of central Europeans playing A-ha and techno all night long would stretch my tolerance levels to the limit.

Man, I hear you!

The same crowd of Eurochavs were at Monza the first year I camped there.

The German camping set ups were amazing. One group of guys put up the BIGGEST tent I've ever seen and set up a bar. They even had keg-shaped motorscooters. Sadly they also came armed with MASSSIVE speakers playing terrible German techno all night. You know exactly the tracks I speak of!

#6 Talking Point

Talking Point

• 201 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 13:23

Grand Prix camping is like hell-on-earth as far as I'm concerned.
I spent one night camping with some friends at Spa and it was just atrocious; very loud music playing all night, disgusting toilets, cold showers, it was just hell. I booked myself in to the Radisson where the Ferrari, Renault and Force India drivers were all staying for the rest of my stay in Belgium. :clap:

#7 encabachon

encabachon

• 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 13:44

Grand Prix camping is like hell-on-earth as far as I'm concerned.
I spent one night camping with some friends at Spa and it was just atrocious; very loud music playing all night, disgusting toilets, cold showers, it was just hell. I booked myself in to the Radisson where the Ferrari, Renault and Force India drivers were all staying for the rest of my stay in Belgium. :clap:

Hi - just checking all the hotel sites for Spa this August and it appears as though every single hotel in Spa is fully booked. From your post it looks like you were able to book into the Radisson DURING the gran prix weekend? Any advice on hotel bookings in Spa for this year's race will be most appreciated :-)

#8 siberianlady

siberianlady

• 119 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 20:47

According to my folks on site there trying to get a hotel room is just about impossible (more teams this year).
If you want a quieter campsite where you can still have fun then try the Elephant- its in Ster (900m walk to the track) clean toilets and hot showers and the rest of us make our own fun.
We had a super bunch last year many of whom are returning this year (I go every year).
Local pub is also a must as its a racing museum!

#9 Hellfirejen

Hellfirejen

• 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 20:35

We went last year and are going this year and we stayed just over the border in Germany near a town called Prum. Its about an half hour drive to the track but its fantastic as not many other people seem to be going that way! Most of the race traffic is coming from and to Liege or other places around Belgium. We even managed to get a clear road once we'd got out of the circuit on race day!

#10 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:43

The campings on Spa are always great! a real recommendation for sure!! Always lot's going on there... many many nationalities, super fun! Giant fires, huge BBQ's, party party! :)

(oh and I have seen the ticket prices for the Friday and Saturday .. :eek: :eek: :eek: CHEEEEAAAAAAAAAP maaaaaaaaaaaaan!!! For Silver places even!!)

But another tip could be:
Maastricht, (south of NL) is only a 40 minute drive to the Spa race track. They should still have hotels that weekend.

Plus (insider tip) some teams do stay in Maastricht in the 5 star hotel called "Kruisheren Hotel".;)

Edited by Frans, 19 August 2010 - 11:46.