Photo

Kimi: Car wasn't bad - Fisichella instead got 10 years older in five races

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
94 replies to this topic

#51 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 18:48

does that make it a dog? because I didn't hear people whine and complain about how terrible of a car the F60 was before Massa's accident, interestingly enough

No? I guess people was just trying to be nice then, because it was rather obvious that the car was a huge failure already after the first qualifying. Most suspected it already after the first test, but it was not until the first qualification it became clear Ferrari was not sandbagging.

Advertisement

#52 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 19:07

No? I guess people was just trying to be nice then, because it was rather obvious that the car was a huge failure already after the first qualifying. Most suspected it already after the first test, but it was not until the first qualification it became clear Ferrari was not sandbagging.

well it was unreliable, but it wasn't out of the top 8 :well:

#53 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 19:11

But wasn't near the top 3, and if you're Ferrari, anything not in contention for a race win is a return to the old, shameful day pre-Schumacher. The car was the worst they'd done in over a decade, in comparison to the competition, and the fact that Felipe and Kimi were professional enough not to bluntly trash the car in public doesn't change the hard evidence.

#54 Trust

Trust

• 3,189 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 19:26

It doesn't matter if the car is in top or middle. The key is driveability. Some can be faster and still harder to drive than others which are slower. In this situation, F60 was worse than others and less driveable. The fact.

#55 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 19:34

In this situation, F60 was worse than others and less driveable. The fact.

in your mind only, you have little evidence

#56 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,795 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 19:39

craftwerk :confused:

Both Fisi and Domenicali have said that the F60 was difficult to drive.
What point are you trying to make?

#57 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 19:46

craftwerk :confused:

Both Fisi and Domenicali have said that the F60 was difficult to drive.
What point are you trying to make?

And Kimi Raikkonen said that he liked how the car handled earlier in the year, what happened? :rolleyes:

#58 harrows

harrows

• 980 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 19:48

And Kimi Raikkonen said that he liked how the car handled earlier in the year, what happened? :rolleyes:

What's your agenda mate? Seriously?

"The car wasn't bad. It had very little traction. Ok, it was very hard to drive but i liked it more than the 2008 car. I didn't have much problems with it [in that respect]"

My emphasis added. You're welcome.

#59 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 19:52

What's your agenda mate? Seriously?

"The car wasn't bad. It had very little traction. Ok, it was very hard to drive but i liked it more than the 2008 car. I didn't have much problems with it [in that respect]"

My emphasis added. You're welcome.

why do you keep replying to me? seriously?

in winter testing he gave the car good feed back in how the car handled, am I supposed to believe that it magically became atrocious to drive after Massa's accident?

Edited by craftverk, 05 January 2010 - 19:53.

Advertisement

#60 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,795 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 19:54

Kimi is a driver that can handle a sharp nervous car.
The car handled like he wanted it too, but the car lacked grip. It didn´t produce
enough downforce, it didn´t have enough mechanical grip etc etc.

#61 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 932 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 20:21

And now imgaine you are en engineer working for Kimi:

Eng.: Kimi how is the car?

Kimi:Better than last year. Well it has no grip and handles like a dog, but I like it.

..don't remember him saying it handles like a dog

#62 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Kimi is a driver that can handle a sharp nervous car.
The car handled like he wanted it too, but the car lacked grip. It didn´t produce
enough downforce, it didn´t have enough mechanical grip etc etc.

compared to what?

#63 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Nothing happened. He liked how it behaved, but when they compared themselves to the others it turned out they lacked grip and downforce. It was new rules, until you compare to other cars you can not say how good it is. About lacking traction - that is relative, not an absolute. You have never optimum traction and the traction of even a bad F1 car is damn good, but if you have less than your competitors you have too little.

#64 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 20:28

Nothing happened. He liked how it behaved, but when they compared themselves to the others it turned out they lacked grip and downforce. It was new rules, until you compare to other cars you can not say how good it is. About lacking traction - that is relative, not an absolute. You have never optimum traction and the traction of even a bad F1 car is damn good, but if you have less than your competitors you have too little.

but there is always a possibility of driver A calling car A a bad car compared to car B which is being driven by driver B who says that the car is even worse when in reality it is worse and driver A's comaprison is wrong as driver A has no experience in driving car B

Edited by Gareth, 06 January 2010 - 07:54.

#65 harrows

harrows

• 980 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 20:37

compared to what?

There's no reason anyone should buy your pathetic attempts to accuse someone of lying. From a single line you've managed to conclude a whole agenda and invent levels of hidden meaning in Raikkonen's words that go deeper than your own bitterness. If you think this is unreasonable, PLEASE point out the exact sentence in which he even compares the F60 to other cars. Where does it say "My car's traction deficiency is fact and not my own opinion". I can wait, no problems. :wave:

#66 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 20:38

Forgive me, logic and reason tends to screw up the fantasies of a certain couple of Raikkonen fans. I feel like I've been in this situation before, deja vu? :confused:

There's no reason anyone should buy your pathetic attempts to accuse someone of lying. F If you think this is unreasonable, PLEASE point out the exact sentence in which he even compares the F60 to other cars. Where does it say "My car's traction deficiency is fact and not my own opinion". I can wait, no problems. wave.gif

Did I call him a liar? :|

What bitterness? I'll delete the off topic bits.

Well you can say a car lacks grip but if you have no standard to refer to, that could mean anything. Do you get it now?

Edited by craftverk, 05 January 2010 - 20:41.

#67 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 20:40

but there is always a possibility of driver A calling car A a bad car compared to car B which is being driven by driver B who says that the car is even worse when in reality it is worse and driver A's comaprison is wrong as driver A has no experience in driving car B

I think you have lost yourself there. First of all, Kimi is a WDC and Massa a WDC runner up, they know their own performance relative people like Button and Vettel pretty well. From that knowledge, they can pretty accurately say if their car is good or bad. But at this point maybe you would like to make a small recap of your arguments and what you argue for because I think more posters than I have serious problems to attach your comments into a context.

#68 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 20:43

I think you have lost yourself there. First of all, Kimi is a WDC and Massa a WDC runner up, they know their own performance relative people like Button and Vettel pretty well. From that knowledge, they can pretty accurately say if their car is good or bad. But at this point maybe you would like to make a small recap of your arguments and what you argue for because I think more posters than I have serious problems to attach your comments into a context.

Sorry but status doesn't give anything in terms of actual knowledge of the unknown. That has been proven far too many times in the past.

#69 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,795 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 20:47

compared to what?

domenicalli isn't even a f1 driver :confused: raikkonen has not driven any other 2009 car :confused: you're getting mad for no reason at all, you can't expect me to buy things so cheaply, i am not like that you troll.

Simple question, why do you think the manufactors keep redesigning the cars every winter (even when there´s no change in regulations)?
Is it because they are chasing that perfect handling characteristics, or is it because they want to build the fastest car?

#70 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 20:50

Simple question, why do you think the manufactors keep redesigning the cars every winter (even when there´s no change in regulations)?
Is it because they are chasing that perfect handling characteristics, or is it because they want to build the fastest car?

now that mursuka80 is a constructive post

the answer is both

Edited by Buttoneer, 05 January 2010 - 23:58.

#71 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:04

Of course that comment is a diss towards Fisichella, but it's well done and deserved, so nothing wrong with that.

Concerning the F60 dispute:
It might be useful to reduce the emotions a bit and to bring in some substance.
For example, did Fisichella ever compare the behaviour of the F60 with the Force India he used to drive before?

#72 harrows

harrows

• 980 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:09

Craftverk,

These just sums up your agenda perfectly:

The Red Bull had excellent mechanical grip, what makes you think that the McLaren had more mechanical grip than the Red Bull?

Last year's F2008 was even better than McLaren in terms of mechanical grip

Worse than the McLaren in terms of what? Certainly not aero.

The McLaren is still an aero duck.

I still say that the Ferraris were superior in downforce and aero balance

I could have carried on. They should be enough.

Why is it acceptable for YOU to talk about McLaren's aero and grip problems with such confidence, but two drivers and a team boss referencing THEIR OWN car have less credibility. :wave:

#73 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:18

Why is it acceptable for YOU to talk about McLaren's aero and grip problems with such confidence, but two drivers and a team boss referencing THEIR OWN car have less credibility. :wave:

who said what?;)

I just come to conclusions based on observations and analysis just as all of us do and i am fully aware that I could be wrong in the conclusions i have come to

Edited by Buttoneer, 06 January 2010 - 00:00.

#74 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:26

Concerning the F60 dispute:
It might be useful to reduce the emotions a bit and to bring in some substance.
For example, did Fisichella ever compare the behaviour of the F60 with the Force India he used to drive before?

Only thing I heard was that he said it was very nervous compared to the Force India.

#75 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:32

Only thing I heard was that he said it was very nervous compared to the Force India.

for the record I DO believe the Force India to be a quicker car than the F60 because Fisichella has driven in both cars to know the difference

#76 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,473 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:34

:up:

#77 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:35

Sorry but status doesn't give anything in terms of actual knowledge of the unknown. That has been proven far too many times in the past.

But that is the thing. A pro can detect a lot of things that an amateur does not. Look at golf, the expert commentator can usually say directly if something went wrong with a swing while it for the normal viewer looks like any other swing. In ski jump they know if the jump is good or not the same moment the skis leave the ground. On top of that, there is a huge difference driving a meter beside, behind or in front of someone than to watch it on TV. We do not see if Kimi can brake a meter later or have to brake a meter earlier, but those on the track does. But you are partly right about if a car is "harder" or "easier" to drive, that they can hardly see, they just see how it performs. A car that is hard for some might feel easy too others. It has not much to do with their absolute skill but a lot to do with their preferences and prior experiences. Every driver set the car up to their liking, there is no optimum setup, but some cars can not be set up in a way the driver wants it.
A perfect car can be driven fast by anyone, but the perfect car does not exist and it never did.

#78 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:37

yeah, fisi told that the f60 was a bitch on braking

#79 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:38

http://www.autobild....la_1014702.html

In this German interview he says much more. Basically he blames the lack of testing and the totally different characteristics of a kers car for his troubles at Ferrari. Not a nervous car, not a lack of grip, but a lack of confidence for the car which was caused by a lack of time for him to adapt.
And he mentions that other kers drivers had a hard time as well, early in the season when they weren't used to it yet.

Advertisement

#80 harrows

harrows

• 980 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:38

I just come to conclusions based on observations and analysis just as all of us do and i am fully aware that I could be wrong in the conclusions i have come to

But you know something's wrong when the vast majority of your conclusions seemed to go against the values you were preaching in this thread. What happened to the 'lack of standards' making Kimi's talk of relative grip meaningless. They apply to everyone but you? Yet another case of forumers inventing 'on the spot' BS values to fit their agenda, not to mention skewing quotes way out of proportion. Pathetic.

#81 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:43

Not a nervous car, not a lack of grip, but a lack of confidence for the car which was caused by a lack of time for him to adapt.

That is another interview. But the lack of confidence he mentioned in the one I read, he had no confidence in the car because it was very nervous. Badoer said something similar.
Usually you have confidence in a car that is predictable, so if the car was not nervous, what do you suggest made him feel uncomfortable with it?

#82 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:50

That is another interview. But the lack of confidence he mentioned in the one I read, he had no confidence in the car because it was very nervous. Badoer said something similar.
Usually you have confidence in a car that is predictable, so if the car was not nervous, what do you suggest made him feel uncomfortable with it?

I suggest nothing because I did not drive the F60 and the Force India, and I am not interested into making unfounded speculations; I strictly stick to what Fisichella said.

#83 Mungo Fangio of the Year

Mungo Fangio of the Year

• 565 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:55

Which is as it should be.

#84 monza2001

monza2001

• 122 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 21:57

This is why Kimi should be in F1. True words, 100% reality. The problem is that few people in the paddock have the 'eggs' to do it.

#85 Trust

Trust

• 3,189 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 22:06

@craftwerk
I see you don't understand.
He meant handling suited him more than F2008. When he steers it does what he wanted unlike F2008.
But he also said it was hard to drive. I see you don't know what handling means. The proof are people from paddock. And one of the biggest is Fisichella.

#86 GerardF1

GerardF1

• 693 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 22:55

it doesn't work that way, unless you have driven in a different 2009 car you really cannot say which car is worse for definite

Ferrari won how many races?

Brawn won how many?

Red Bull? McLaren?

I think we can tell which car is worse than the others ..

#87 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,317 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 23:07

Whilst its a great quote from Kimi and something Id like to see more of between F1 drivers just for shits and giggles I do think its a bit of a parting shot at Ferraris decision to hire him. Not that Fisis presence was bad for Kimi just that Kimi is a bit bitter maybe hes found himself pushed out of the team.

#88 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 23:36

http://www.autobild....la_1014702.html

In this German interview he says much more. Basically he blames the lack of testing and the totally different characteristics of a kers car for his troubles at Ferrari. Not a nervous car, not a lack of grip, but a lack of confidence for the car which was caused by a lack of time for him to adapt.
And he mentions that other kers drivers had a hard time as well, early in the season when they weren't used to it yet.

lack of testing always spells disaster, let's face it. and fisichella isn't exactly the best benchmark either...

But you know something's wrong when the vast majority of your conclusions seemed to go against the values you were preaching in this thread. What happened to the 'lack of standards' making Kimi's talk of relative grip meaningless. They apply to everyone but you? Yet another case of forumers inventing 'on the spot' BS values to fit their agenda, not to mention skewing quotes way out of proportion. Pathetic.

i find it pathetic that you came to such a conclusion, you're the one who's getting confused and flustered over nothing

@craftwerk
I see you don't understand.
He meant handling suited him more than F2008. When he steers it does what he wanted unlike F2008.
But he also said it was hard to drive. I see you don't know what handling means. The proof are people from paddock. And one of the biggest is Fisichella.

and that is what i've been talking about, handling, it handled better than last year's car so it is certainly not worthy of being called a pig is it?

let's not forget that fisichella has had no where near the amount of experience in the car as raikkonen, and massa was not that far off raikkonen's pace before his accident either

Edited by craftverk, 05 January 2010 - 23:45.

#89 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,038 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 23:45

No doubt, but initially they stated it would require a new transmission and the "fix" would not come until the middle of the summer and then it just never came. Resources devoted to KERS probably didn't help either but I was struck at how un-Ferrari like the teams attitude was.

The downside to a lack of testing is you better get it right the first time.

Kim: :up:

I think the fact that they simply gave up on the 2009 season (like they did before in 1991 and 1980) had to do a lot with the fact that Ross Brawn showed them at Honda what advantage it could have to focus on the next year.

Let´s hope Ferrari don´t do a BMW next year....

Regarding Kimi: I just love the guy, his speed and his outspokenness. Here´s to the hope he will race with Red Bull from 2011 - 2013!!!

#90 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,686 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 00:04

I've cleaned this thread of some pretty unpleasant bullying by some posters. This topic is about Kimi's comments on Fisi not about other posters whose opinion you disagree with.

Please keep it on topic and report posts which contravene the house rules.

#91 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,038 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 00:34

....Im just a "Kimi widow" (thanks giacomo,that made me laugh) whose life is destroyed,because Kimi isnt driving in F1.;) F1 aint the pinnacle for everybody.....

Don´t despair, mursuka80! Rallying becomes a much more interesting sport thanks to Kimi - we all are going to enjoy watching rallying more in 2010! :up:

#92 Menace

Menace

• 12,300 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:09

Don´t despair, mursuka80! Rallying becomes a much more interesting sport thanks to Kimi - we all are going to enjoy watching rallying more in 2010! :up:

Indeed... and there is still a glimmer of hope he might return to the grid in 2011. :)

#93 evo

evo

• 347 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:15

Implications from this article suggest that a return to F1 could indeed be only a glimmer of hope...

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/80735

"More than my F1 world championship title," Raikkonen said when asked what a WRC title would mean to him.

"I'm just starting out and I can sense what a long journey it would be to get to that point."

#94 Menace

Menace

• 12,300 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:19

Implications from this article suggest that a return to F1 could indeed be only a glimmer of hope...

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/80735

Thats a very real possibility. It will all depend on how competitive he feels in WRC, but he has all the time in the world to dedicate to WRC still even if he returned(to F1) for two seasons for another shot at the title.

:)

Edited by Menace, 06 January 2010 - 08:20.

#95 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,166 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:34

Seems no one wants to discuss the topic at hand, allow me to point you to where the posts will be better suited
Kimi Raikkonen's Rallying Thread