Photo

Nico Rosberg

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 rally man

rally man

• 155 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:12

So how good is Rosberg? I have found it astonishing how low people in this forum regard Rosberg. Before last season I have thought that Rosberg is much better driver than Jenson Button for instance.

It can be rightfully pointed out that Webber beated Rosberg fairly. I guess that's the reason why most people don't regard Nico very highly. However it should be remembered that it was Rosberg's rookie-season. I have also gut feeling that being a rookie in that time was higher challenge than it was when Lewis' came in. Lewis himself has admitted that it was good that he didn't do his debyte drive in 2006. According to Lewis it took seven test days - if my memory serves - that he achieved De La Rosa's pace. Lewis' has noted that Michelin tyres were difficult to master. However even in his rookie season Rosberg showed great flashes of brilliance. I guess Nico's Bahrain drive was the most impressive drive with Williams during the whole year. It should also be noted that Nico's performance in GP 2 was staggering. Kovalainen doubted that ART is cheating because Rosberg's superiority in later part of the season. Nico's difference to Premat was even larger than Lewis' difference to Premat one year later.

After his first F1 season Rosberg has literally crushed every team-mates. Wurz and Nakajima won maybe about 2-3 qualifying sessions against Nico during three years. It would be hard to ask anything more - even if the level of teammates is somewhat unclear. I find it very weird that some people think that Nico didn't beat Wurz and Nakajima comprehensively enough to be regarded as a top-driver. It's ok to say that nobody did expect that Nakajima would shatter the F1 world. However the same might be said about Sato and Kobayashi. Button had considerable difficulties to beat Sato during long periods and it seemed that Jarno's role was not developing differently with Kobayashi. The perception about Nakajima as a very poor driver has become after Nico beated him.

Rosberg's abilitites in difficult tracks brings Lewis' to my mind. For instance in Singapore Rosbergs' pace was phenomenal (many drivers have described Singapore as the most difficult track in the calendar). Street circuits are known as drivers track and Rosberg has always been phenomenal in them.

Eddie Irvine commented very interestingly on Button's decision to go from Brown to Mclaren: "Jenson has stepped in the lion's throat. The transfer is clean madness from him. I believe that he will experience the murdering fate. He could not have done a worse decision. The only reason that I see why he did not want to continue with Brown was Nico Rosberg. Rosberg is not perhaps as appreciated as Lewis but he may be quite as quick as him. Jenson may have thought that it is better to get beaten by Lewis than by Nico."
(http://www.mtv3.fi/u...2010/01/1027591)

My prediction to following year is following: Schumi will beat Rosberg but it will not be so easy as many people think; actually it can be quite a battle. It's clear that in the age of 41 Schumi is over his peak as a driver. But even in that case I reckon that he is still top 3 driver in F1 (in my view Hamilton is the only driver who could beat Michael comprehensively). Because many people here have said that it's simple madness to regard Rosberg more highly than Button I will make also prediction ho Jenson compares to Hamilton: Hamilton will beat Jenson almost like he beated Kovalainen. I reckon that Jenson is better than Kovalainen but the difference to Hamilton in terms of race pace will go from 0.2 to 0.6 per lap.

Edited by rally man, 06 January 2010 - 13:57.

Advertisement

#2 blizzzzard

blizzzzard

• 167 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 13:16

She is pretty much like Fisichella. Good, solid driver in the midfield, but chokes too often when the chance is given. Also he had too many mediocre teammates.

#3 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,024 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 13:34

She is pretty much like Fisichella. Good, solid driver in the midfield, but chokes too often when the chance is given. Also he had too many mediocre teammates.

:stoned:

#4 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 13:43

Well you say it all by yourself. He is highly rated by some folks, but he was beaten fair and square by Webbo in his rookie season, and since then and raced again Wurz who after the years of testing couldn't get up to speed on one lap in quali and error prone and not really blindingly fast anyway Nakajima - both B class drivers in the big picture. And he has beaten them, but it doesn't tell us how good exactly he is. It sort of blows for him that will race a 41 year old MSC - if he looses he is going to be labelled as A class second driver and if he wins people are going to say "well, ok, but what would have happened 6 years earlier?".

Edited by wingwalker, 06 January 2010 - 13:43.

#5 Uwe

Uwe

• 707 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 13:43

We had drivers in the past who excelled in weaker cars but faded away a bit when promoted to higher levels, Fisichella being the latest example. I don't think Rosberg is going to follow Fisi on that path but I guess he knows that this year is going to be "make or break" for him.

#6 rally man

rally man

• 155 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 14:04

According to my memory Rosberg murdered a driver who was approximately at the level of Fischella - I am speaking about Alex Wurz.

Someone said that beating Nakajima was just expectable for solid f1 driver. That's true but one has to pay some attention to the way Nakajima was beaten - the level of speed difference and the level of consistency how Rosberg beat Nakajima was unusual in F1 level. It's somewhat annoying that the same people who are crying "but Nakajma was super slow" are not showing any evidence about it except the circular notion that alongside Rosberg Nakajima seemed superslow. Kobayashi and Sato have shown that japanese pay-drivers have not been piece of cake to solid F1 drivers like Jenson Button and Jarno Trulli.

Edited by rally man, 06 January 2010 - 14:10.

#7 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 14:09

Agreed.

Schumacher is really the worst thing to happen to Rosberg.

If he gets close, people will say old man Schumi is slowing down.

If he gets blown away, it's F1 career effectively over.

Button would have been a far better measuring stick for Rosberg.

How good is he? Not bad but we've not seen anything to suggest he's the next Hamilton or Alonso.

#8 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 14:17

According to my memory Rosberg murdered a driver who was approximately at the level of Fischella - I am speaking about Alex Wurz.

Poor memory considering your ignoring the fact that Wurz had been a test driver for a number of seasons. He couldn't get a race seat for a good reason which was clearly seen when Williams promoted him.

#9 Mungo Fangio of the Year

Mungo Fangio of the Year

• 565 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 14:25

I don't think that old lady is better than Nico.

#10 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 14:26

Since he trashed Nakajima very thoroughly, I do believe that Nico is at least pretty decent.

I may not have what Alonso and the other top drivers have, but he's still probably pretty good in a top car. I would definitely suspect that Rosberg could at the very least challenge for wins if the car is up for it.

Edited by UPRC, 06 January 2010 - 14:32.

#11 mstar

mstar

• 1,833 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 14:32

rosberg is unproven at the sharp end of the grid on a consistent basis. Thats why there is so much doubt out there. TO be honest some races he can kind of dissapear in the midfield nothing probably to do with his ability but it dnt help. He IMO is a good but not special driver. At present he is not at the level of Lewis, button, alonso, massa vetell, shumi

maybe after this season we know for sure.

#12 Morbus

Morbus

• 489 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 14:38

Agreed.

Schumacher is really the worst thing to happen to Rosberg.

If he gets close, people will say old man Schumi is slowing down.

If he gets blown away, it's F1 career effectively over.

Button would have been a far better measuring stick for Rosberg.

How good is he? Not bad but we've not seen anything to suggest he's the next Hamilton or Alonso.

But what if he wins the championship?;)

#13 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 14:45

Since he trashed Nakajima very thoroughly, I do believe that Nico is at least pretty decent.

Who's Nakajima? I don't think I saw him race this season. :D :rotfl:

#14 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 14:47

But what if he wins the championship?;)

If Rosberg wins?

Then he'll be feted as a hero.

Can't see it happening though.

#15 salamin

salamin

• 1,693 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 14:52

If Rosberg wins?

Then he'll be feted as a hero.

Can't see it happening though.

I think he ment Michael

#16 Mungo Fangio of the Year

Mungo Fangio of the Year

• 565 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 15:05

I think he ment Michael

Well, if the old lady wins, she'll be touted as hero also.

#17 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 15:06

Who's Nakajima? I don't think I saw him race this season. :D :rotfl:

Nakajima never deserved to progress from GP2. People say solid, but I say he is journeyman...

As for Nico, he is fast but prone to underperform. If Schumacher has any strength remaining he can easily destroy Nico mentally and beat him in the championship.

#18 salamin

salamin

• 1,693 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 15:07

Well, if the old lady wins, she'll be touted as hero also.

finishing in the top 3, and beating britney would be a successful season in my book

#19 Mungo Fangio of the Year

Mungo Fangio of the Year

• 565 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 15:17

Nico is Britney, right?

That makes Michael Celine, Alonso Shakira, Jenson Dido and Lewis Beyonce, doesn't it? :rotfl:

Advertisement

#20 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 15:20

Very good driver and a likeable guy.

I think he will take a win or two this season although i dont think he will be a major title contender.

Hes better than drivers like Button, Blewis and Barrichello, Probably on the pace with guys like Vettel, Webber, Kubica and Massa. But hes no where near the fastest and most complete driver on the grid, Fernando Alonso.

This season will be a telling one for him.

#21 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 16:01

As the saying goes, it's fly or die for Nico.

#22 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 16:14

Button had considerable difficulties to beat Sato during long periods

This is where i stopped reading, the biggest load of bullshine i've heard on here

2004, Taku scored 34 points - 51 points LESS than Jenson, he had real difficulty didn't he

2005, Taku scored 1 point - 36 points LESS than Jenson, again Jenson had real difficulty beating Taku didn't he

:rolleyes:

#23 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 16:17

Hes better than drivers like Button, Blewis and Barrichello,

This is getting ridiculous :lol:

And why call LEWIS, Blewis ?

Hidden agenda ?

#24 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 940 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 16:46

Nico is Britney, right?

That makes Michael Celine, Alonso Shakira, Jenson Dido and Lewis Beyonce, doesn't it? :rotfl:

Furthermore,

Vettel ... Lady Gaga

Massa ... Rihanna

Barrichello ... Madonna

Heidfeld ... Taylor Swift

Sutil ... Adam Lambert

Buemi ... Amy Winehouse

Algersuari ... Miley Cyrus

Kobayashi ... Bjork

Flavio Briatore ... Susan Boyle

#25 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 17:12

This is getting ridiculous :lol:

And why call LEWIS, Blewis ?

Hidden agenda ?

Why call Rosberg a girl,

Why call Rubens , Woobens

Alonso/Teflonso

Kova/ Slovalainen

The list goes on.... Why arent you troubled when it happens to others?

Why is only Lewis untouchable,

Besides it describes his style perfectly. Monza 09, 2007 season

#26 Hypnotise

Hypnotise

• 1,245 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 17:16

Why call Rosberg a girl,

Alonso/Teflonso

Kova/ Slovalainen

Lewis only blew it in Brazil China was totaly the teams fault!

#27 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 17:32

Guys, enough of directing posts to/at other posters. Keep to the topic please.

#28 GiancarloF1

GiancarloF1

• 925 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:23

Yes, approximately. Approximately beaten by 31:5 in their last two years together. :wave:

#29 Pato

Pato

• 179 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:24

So how good is Rosberg? I have found it astonishing how low people in this forum regard Rosberg. Before last season I have thought that Rosberg is much better driver than Jenson Button for instance.

That's because he is a better driver than Button.

#30 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:26

Why call Rosberg a girl,

Alonso/Teflonso

Kova/ Slovalainen

Why didn't you call Barrichello Woobens then ?

Edited by SAFC09, 06 January 2010 - 18:28.

#31 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:32

That's because he is a better driver than Button.

You don't like Jenson, that's a known fact

I wouldn't be surprised if while im typing this you're throwing darts at a picture of him

Sorry it's off topic FF1, but people like him really get on my tits

Edited by SAFC09, 06 January 2010 - 18:35.

#32 rally man

rally man

• 155 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:35

This is where i stopped reading, the biggest load of bullshine i've heard on here

2004, Taku scored 34 points - 51 points LESS than Jenson, he had real difficulty didn't he

2005, Taku scored 1 point - 36 points LESS than Jenson, again Jenson had real difficulty beating Taku didn't he

:rolleyes:

Sato was hazard race driver but in qualifyings he matched Button 2004.

Do someone know from where one can find qualy statistics to the year 2004 including team-mate comparison?

Edited by rally man, 06 January 2010 - 18:35.

#33 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:36

Well if I was to employ either Button or Rosberg, my money would be going on Button, atleast you'd know what you would be getting with Rosberg even after 3 years in F1 he is still an unknown quantity.

#34 rally man

rally man

• 155 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:36

Yes, approximately. Approximately beaten by 31:5 in their last two years together. :wave:

That was exactly my thought if you read the whole post? :)

#35 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:40

Sato was hazard race driver but in qualifyings he matched Button 2004.

Do someone know from where one can find qualy statistics to the year 2004 including team-mate comparison?

I don't know the exact quali stats, but you said Button stuggled to beat Taku

I give you the stats that prove he didn't, in the time they were team mates Jenson beat him by an average of 43.5 points

Edited by SAFC09, 06 January 2010 - 18:40.

#36 rally man

rally man

• 155 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:49

I don't know the exact quali stats, but you said Button stuggled to beat Taku

I give you the stats that prove he didn't, in the time they were team mates Jenson beat him by an average of 43.5 points

OK, I will modify my statement: "during the year 2004 Sato matched Button in raw speed or at least in qualifyings". The important fact is that Sato was in the same class with Button in terms of raw speed quite consistently during 2004. Rosberg has been about 0.6 sec ahead of his team-mates consistently during three years.

#37 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 19:46

It would seem that this thread has gone way off topic and has run it's course. If there is any fresh news about Nico Rosberg start a new thread dealing with that news. -Thread closed-