Photo

Is there a way of watching the pre-season testing?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:01

Is there a way of watching the pre-season testing either on TV or the internet?

Advertisement

#2 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:06

Our Spanish friends here on the BB usually put on links to Spanish internet sites, whenever there is winter testing in Jerez or elsewhere in Spain. Just be around on the BB, when there is testing days. Coverage is okay - testing is not the same as qualifying or a race - but it makes you aware what is going on, although in Spanish.

#3 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:07

I would also like to know about it.

#4 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:10

Our Spanish friends here on the BB usually put on links to Spanish internet sites, whenever there is winter testing in Jerez or elsewhere in Spain. Just be around on the BB, when there is testing days. Coverage is okay - testing is not the same as qualifying or a race - but it makes you aware what is going on, although in Spanish.

Maybe, but remember that spanish sources can't be trusted, never!

;)

#5 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:10

Not sure to be honest, your probs best to go out there to the track, im off to the second jerez test in feb for a few days and is pretty cheap, flights and hotel less than £200 and entry to the track is only 5 euros, which is pretty good considering the cars run from 9ish till 5, the locals are pretty friendly too, althou i have noticed most of them only really take a interest when alonso is on track.

#6 ZenSpeed

ZenSpeed

• 1,192 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:11

probably Justin.TV, it worked for me a few times last season

#7 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,769 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:23

Not sure to be honest, your probs best to go out there to the track, im off to the second jerez test in feb for a few days and is pretty cheap, flights and hotel less than £200 and entry to the track is only 5 euros, which is pretty good considering the cars run from 9ish till 5, the locals are pretty friendly too, althou i have noticed most of them only really take a interest when alonso is on track.

That's actually not a bad idea, when are those dates. I could use a midwinter break.

#8 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,567 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:28

I´ll probably go to the first test in Cheste. It´s great to live in Valencia for a F1 fan.

#9 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 1,391 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:43

What you said.

If you're a lucky bastard and live at some 100km from the track, you can just take the car and go there :) You'll see way more people the days Alonso is on track.

The only bad part about it is that there are just a few stands opened, you can't go wherever you want and it's a shame. But it's still pretty enjoyable.

#10 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 19:31

That's actually not a bad idea, when are those dates. I could use a midwinter break.

The tests at Jerez are from the 10th - 14th Feb and then 17th until the 20th.

#11 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 19:35

What you said.

If you're a lucky bastard and live at some 100km from the track, you can just take the car and go there :) You'll see way more people the days Alonso is on track.

The only bad part about it is that there are just a few stands opened, you can't go wherever you want and it's a shame. But it's still pretty enjoyable.

When i went out last year like you say only a few stands where open, but i went out there for the rookie test in december and the whole place was open, i walked around the whole track, was pretty cool but man theres a couple of steep hills around by the back straight, thats when i discovered that my body wasn't quite at the physical peak i thought it was.

#12 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 19:36

If you're there can you keep tabs on what's going on, like who's setting what times etc?

#13 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 19:50

If you're there can you keep tabs on what's going on, like who's setting what times etc?

No, theres no way that i know of to keep track of the times, theres isn't a speaker system or anything like what you get at a grand prix, i usually checked the times when i get back to my hotel on a laptop, i would advise bringing one with you if ya wanna know who has been doing what.

#14 Nuvol

Nuvol

• 654 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 19:55

No, theres no way that i know of to keep track of the times, theres isn't a speaker system or anything like what you get at a grand prix, i usually checked the times when i get back to my hotel on a laptop, i would advise bringing one with you if ya wanna know who has been doing what.

pro tip : you sit at straight /finish line and measures the times of Schumacher :smoking: From time to time you posts here :cool:

#15 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 20:06

The unavailability of the tests shows only how far back in time those who make and govern the sport live. This in the light of the pompous words about bringing the sport closer to the publick, which were said recently in Monaco.
It is IMO a golden opportunity to make the sport more popular, more attractive and to build a level of expectation and excitement before the real competition starts.
I'll go heretic and even suggest a free live feed on the internet from a number of fixed cameras.

#16 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 20:08

pro tip : you sit at straight /finish line and measures the times of Schumacher :smoking: From time to time you posts here :cool:

Great idea! :up: Dunno if a mobile connection will be there though if you are a visitor like me (UK contracts etc). Anyone that can be there and can connect... do it. :)

#17 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 1,391 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 20:14

When i went out last year like you say only a few stands where open, but i went out there for the rookie test in december and the whole place was open, i walked around the whole track, was pretty cool but man theres a couple of steep hills around by the back straight, thats when i discovered that my body wasn't quite at the physical peak i thought it was.

Wow, that sounds very interesting.

I am not sure whether I am going this year or not, but if it's the same than in the december test (whole track open), then I'll probably spend a day there.

I'm not holding my breath though.

#18 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,800 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 20:59

I'm inspired by this thread and am thinking about going now. I cant do Jerez but the timings for Barcelona are better. Has anyone been for the testing there? Will all the teams be there or are some going to Bahrain? Also, how much is it to get into the track at BArcelona? Is it all open?

Thanks in advance.

#19 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 21:08

I´ll probably go to the first test in Cheste. It´s great to live in Valencia for a F1 fan.

Take the laptop please :stoned:

Advertisement

#20 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 22:34

Good old live timing from Circuit de Catalunya.. aghhh I miss those days :|

#21 incredulo64

incredulo64

• 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 23:03

Maybe, but remember that spanish sources can't be trusted, never!

;)

Man that's a cheap shot taking into consideration that 99% of Spanish info is a copy and paste from English sources.

#22 Demo.

Demo.

• 1,205 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:51

The unavailability of the tests shows only how far back in time those who make and govern the sport live. This in the light of the pompous words about bringing the sport closer to the publick, which were said recently in Monaco.
It is IMO a golden opportunity to make the sport more popular, more attractive and to build a level of expectation and excitement before the real competition starts.
I'll go heretic and even suggest a free live feed on the internet from a number of fixed cameras.

and of course you are going to pay for it all arnt you :rotfl:
because otherwise no matter how you cut it the teams and /or us the paying fans will pay for what you want to give away.
And as we know neither of those parties want to pay for anything (see your quoted post for an example)

Edited by Demo., 07 January 2010 - 02:53.

#23 Turbo4

Turbo4

• 680 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:42

Could one of the Spanish fans at the track sort an english-language update service for the autosport board? Pretty please?

Are any timing updates available to fans who are there?

#24 zoombie

zoombie

• 451 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:44

Could one of the Spanish fans at the track sort an english-language update service for the autosport board? Pretty please?

Any info relating to the tests whether its time or problems are being reported here and other F1 news site so...

#25 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:56

Pre-season testing is never going to whet the appetites for the general public and to stream it costs money. I would sooner have that money spent on something more important, like say, I dunno the actual races than something as insignificant as testing which will only appeal to a small faction of hardcore supporters.

#26 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:04

Wait for the day...!!!

I experienced the pre-season-testing last year for the first time having an account here...it is great...you will get tons of information...trust me...

#27 Lukin83

Lukin83

• 754 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:20

I'm forcing my Barcelona living brother to attend the tests. He's ain't no great expert but knows the teams, the drivers and can operate stopwatch, laptop and camera ;) I think he even has an account here.
BTW is there an information which teams will be there?

#28 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:26

There was someone called yossi who often posted decent highlights from each day on Youtube. That's probably the best available, unless a TV station like Rai or Sky send a crew over there...

Edited by RodrigoL, 07 January 2010 - 10:27.

#29 Korben82

Korben82

• 184 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:45

I'll probably attend to the Jerez tests, as I don't live very far from the track. Anyway, the internet coverage is pretty dismal, it's not good even in spanish, because when you're in the circuit, there's no way to keep track of the times the drivers are making.

As in other years, if info is available in Spanish, myself or some other Spanish-speaking fellow forum member will translate it so that we can all follow what's happening on track :clap:

#30 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 17:57

If I went there with my laptop and a quality webcam, set up a live stream site.... could I get into trouble?

#31 RichardF1fan

RichardF1fan

• 405 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 18:24

If I went there with my laptop and a quality webcam, set up a live stream site.... could I get into trouble?

yes - but not if you only tell me the cam address!