Photo

'Vintage' clothing?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jose

Jose

• 89 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 22:33

Throwing around some more Ideas... Since now there is T-shirts out there with Vintage Cars in Vintage Races....

I have Seen Old School looking(Replica) Cobra Team Shirts.

I feel it would be awesome to get a Grand Sport T-shirt , or L-88 on a T-shirt ripping through. Maybe the DX Car or The Owens Corning Team T-shirts?

Or The T-shirt Dick Guldstrand Wore ---Mongoose,Mongoose,Mongoose,(Snake Killer?) --(not counting wearing the Cobra Team shirt too!) Which was meant to be I guess an Unofficial Corvette Racer's Shirt back then in the 60's.. and a Play on the Chaparral T-shirt, Chaparral,chaparral.....Powered by Chevy(play on Cobra) White tee. with Logo on back.

they offer the Chaparral T-shirt Powered by Chevy at The Petroleum Museum In Tx. Cool shirt. Just wondering what cool Vintage Racing Shirts you guys might have?

Jose

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 22:47

Whoa, steady on! We have a language difficulty here.

In Britain a "Vintage" car is one made between the years 1919 and 1930. While in the USA it is, I believe, any interesting old car - rather like a vintage wine (IMHO a far more sensible interpretation). And 'back in the day' in Britain the fans wore tweed jackets not tee shirts - hence the "Goodwood dress code".

Having got that off my chest, I'd be fascinated to see examples of the US tee-shirt culture.

#3 Jose

Jose

• 89 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 23:20

In Britain a "Vintage" car is one made between the years 1919 and 1930. While in the USA it is, I believe, any interesting old car - rather like a vintage wine (IMHO a far more sensible interpretation). And 'back in the day' in Britain the fans wore tweed jackets not tee shirts - hence the "Goodwood dress code".

Having got that off my chest, I'd be fascinated to see examples of the US tee-shirt culture.

Duncan, your Very kind.

Yes,

I mean Cars Such as Corvette Grand Sport,L-88, Etc. I think Racers Here in America up until 1950's from what I have read, The ARCF,etc. where sharp dressers.

I personally like Expensive Suits and T-shirts once in a while. I have both.

Cheers,

From Across the Atlantic

In Miami,Florida USA

Jose.

#4 buckaluck

buckaluck

• 149 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 23:50

So what happens to cars made prior to 1919? I don't think that all of Britain would share your opinion of what is vintage and you my want to follow your own advice with regards to keeping your mouth shut. On this side of the pond we have many groups and the qualifications as to being vintage enough to race in their group varies but the definition is used just for allowing a car that no longer is current to have a chance to race on track as it use to when it did have a class to run in. They seem to base the age on being 25 -30 years old from when they raced with passion about the max age of most red wines before they start to go down hill (very few can last that long let alone longer). Sometimes to get a full grid they have to fudge it to 20 years and sometime they allow a group to be less than 20 years just to give a place for these cars to race and not so much to define what is vintage and what is not. I do think that vintage for race cars and vintage for street cars would be a more proper way to decide and with that said i'd say 50 years or more for street cars and 25-30 for race cars would be acceptable as a definition of vintage but that is my opinion and we will see more opinions.

As for tee's that are classic (better than saying vintage) I have saved many shirts over the years (most because I can no longer fit into them) as they had a lady that would take them and create a quilt for the wall or? from them and I always wanted to have one made. Since I've been saving shirts for over 30 years I'm going to need a really big wall but it will be classic and reflect the amount of years i've been a motorhead! I have shirts from Riverside raceway (no longer around).

Working in the graphic arts business I was able to take a line art drawing of the Budwieser Can Am Spyder from 1979 and color it in and clean it up then enlarge it to fit on a shirt and wore it to a race where EFR who raced the car back in the day and he commented that that was a nice old shirt and he was suprised when I told him they were just new as he thought it was from back in the day. Anyway I always enjoy seeing an old classic shirt and also enjoy wearing an old classic shirt and getting the comments about it. So while they still fit you wear them as often as you can!!!

#5 Jose

Jose

• 89 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 00:12

So what happens to cars made prior to 1919? I don't think that all of Britain would share your opinion of what is vintage and you my want to follow your own advice with regards to keeping your mouth shut. On this side of the pond we have many groups and the qualifications as to being vintage enough to race in their group varies but the definition is used just for allowing a car that no longer is current to have a chance to race on track as it use to when it did have a class to run in. They seem to base the age on being 25 -30 years old from when they raced with passion about the max age of most red wines before they start to go down hill (very few can last that long let alone longer). Sometimes to get a full grid they have to fudge it to 20 years and sometime they allow a group to be less than 20 years just to give a place for these cars to race and not so much to define what is vintage and what is not. I do think that vintage for race cars and vintage for street cars would be a more proper way to decide and with that said i'd say 50 years or more for street cars and 25-30 for race cars would be acceptable as a definition of vintage but that is my opinion and we will see more opinions.

As for tee's that are classic (better than saying vintage) I have saved many shirts over the years (most because I can no longer fit into them) as they had a lady that would take them and create a quilt for the wall or? from them and I always wanted to have one made. Since I've been saving shirts for over 30 years I'm going to need a really big wall but it will be classic and reflect the amount of years i've been a motorhead! I have shirts from Riverside raceway (no longer around).

Working in the graphic arts business I was able to take a line art drawing of the Budwieser Can Am Spyder from 1979 and color it in and clean it up then enlarge it to fit on a shirt and wore it to a race where EFR who raced the car back in the day and he commented that that was a nice old shirt and he was suprised when I told him they were just new as he thought it was from back in the day. Anyway I always enjoy seeing an old classic shirt and also enjoy wearing an old classic shirt and getting the comments about it. So while they still fit you wear them as often as you can!!!

I have a the aforementioned Chaparral T-shirt, A 2E T-shirt(brought it on ebay-newer type graphics) and Plenty Corvette ones.. and I got a shirt with Lemans 1979 And some porsches on it,that was a gift, and plenty of trucker stuff.

Jose

#6 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:30

So what happens to cars made prior to 1919? I don't think that all of Britain would share your opinion of what is vintage and you my want to follow your own advice with regards to keeping your mouth shut.

As far as cars are concerned, the terms vintage, veteran, Edwardian etc. once upon a time defined specific eras. Unfortunately, like much of the English language, it has become distorted and no longer reflects the original meaning.

I can't see where D-Type actually asked, or implied, that Jose keep his mouth shut. He was just pointing out that the modern loose definition of "Vintage Car" is not the same as the definition that many here apply to the term.

#7 RCH

RCH

• 1,139 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:01

Personally the T-shirt I liked said "I thought Carroll was a girl's name?"

Ducks for cover...

There seems to be a trend currently in the UK to call ANYTHING more than a couple of years old "vintage", which is annoying and confusing. The term "Vintage Clothing" is generally applied to anything from, say, the '70's back which reflects the fashion of the time. I wouldn't have thought dealers in vintage clothing would include T-shirts in there but I see no reason why not.

So far as cars are concerned the definitions (Veteran pre 1905; Edwardian 1905-1919 ish; Vintage 1919-1930; Post Vintage Thoroughbred 1931-1939 but only applying to deserving cars) were laid down in 1930's, loosely anything post war is classic. However calling anything vintage when it is not by these definitions tends to cause confusion. Why not just say cars from the '50's, '60's, '70's etc?

Ducks for cover again...

#8 Jose

Jose

• 89 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 14:46

Personally the T-shirt I liked said "I thought Carroll was a girl's name?"

Ducks for cover...

There seems to be a trend currently in the UK to call ANYTHING more than a couple of years old "vintage", which is annoying and confusing. The term "Vintage Clothing" is generally applied to anything from, say, the '70's back which reflects the fashion of the time. I wouldn't have thought dealers in vintage clothing would include T-shirts in there but I see no reason why not.

So far as cars are concerned the definitions (Veteran pre 1905; Edwardian 1905-1919 ish; Vintage 1919-1930; Post Vintage Thoroughbred 1931-1939 but only applying to deserving cars) were laid down in 1930's, loosely anything post war is classic. However calling anything vintage when it is not by these definitions tends to cause confusion. Why not just say cars from the '50's, '60's, '70's etc?

Ducks for cover again...

I too have seen that t-shirt somewhere-- Carroll-girl's name :rotfl:

I apologize or "apologise" in regards to any confusion on my part.

In The UK or Europe isn't there an Rivalry between Maserati And Ferrari when it used to be one.. Like IN the States, Ford Vs. Chevy. Me Being with Chevy!

Jose

Edited by Jose, 07 January 2010 - 14:47.

#9 buckaluck

buckaluck

• 149 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 14:54

As far as cars are concerned, the terms vintage, veteran, Edwardian etc. once upon a time defined specific eras. Unfortunately, like much of the English language, it has become distorted and no longer reflects the original meaning.

I can't see where D-Type actually asked, or implied, that Jose keep his mouth shut. He was just pointing out that the modern loose definition of "Vintage Car" is not the same as the definition that many here apply to the term.

David you need to check the caption under D-Types name for the reference to keeping the mouth shut and it's not in relation to Jose but to Duncan D-Type himself.
I stand enlightened with regards to the names for certain eras for Britain and it's cars. I guess i'm to much of a commoner to appreciate the naming of such eras
and to be upset when someone doesn't use the words absolutely in that exact manner, it does look like I was on the right track by using Classic for the shirts as that seems like the correct era
for the Shelby Cobra and Chaparral shirts. T shirts seem to have come along in the early sixties (printed team/car shirts that is) and progressed from there or does someone have one from the fifties and if so what team/car?

Edited by buckaluck, 08 January 2010 - 04:33.