8 replies to this topic

#1 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 17:27

LONG FORGOTTEN RACES

IN STOCK NEXT WEEK!

Posted Image

The much anticipated 'prequal' covering F1 non title events 1954-1965 will be in stock (snow permitting) and ready to ship sometime next week.

I have an advance copy in my hands . It's over 340 pages with some really superb photos from gloriously obscure events,

This book will only be available direct from author Chris Ellard and from me (Simon Lewis Transport Books).

Check out my website (www.simonlewis.com) for more details and illustrations of the book.

The direct link is http://shop.simonlew...aces-1488-p.asp

(Twinny, hope this counts as an "announcement", given the historical significance and following the first book soon achieved, if not my apologies but thought everyone might like to know - it's been a long time coming!)

Edited by simonlewisbooks, 08 January 2010 - 17:28.

Advertisement

#2 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 14:39

LONG FORGOTTEN RACES

IN STOCK NEXT WEEK!

Finally! I'll soon place an order, Simon!

#3 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 17:15

I have allready , and eagerly awaits it!

Bjørn

#4 alfredaustria

alfredaustria

• 300 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 15:39

Hello Simon

Great news.
Is there also a good statistics in this book?

Regards
Alfred

#5 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 14:45

Check out my website (www.simonlewis.com) for more details and illustrations of the book.

The direct link is http://shop.simonlew...aces-1488-p.asp

Simon, I did check you website and wanted to place an order, but after having seen the preview pages, I decided to give it it a second thought. The first book (Forgotten Races 1966-83) was excellent, no question about it, but is 'Long Forgotten Races' share the same layout? Judging by the preview pages it's nothing more than collection of reprinted articles from various magazines of that period, like 'The Motor'. The first volume featured the grid order and the result of each non-championship race (including the starting numbers), plus re-written races reports, but I'm afraid the new book misses that altogether.

#6 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:53

Hello Simon

Great news.
Is there also a good statistics in this book?

Regards
Alfred

Hi Alfred,

There are full results (including heats) for each each race plus an extensive index but it doesn't have the same statisical detail as Sheldon/Rabagliatti's 'black books'.

Cheers,
Simon

#7 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 13:50

As usual with solid delivery , I got my example today (Denmark).

What did I expect ? A book along the lines of the first , yes , and knowing of the large number of races , I did not expect personal coverage of all. Ellard has done his personal collection of many of the races and shown articles from the then magazines. I kind of like this , because then it was written in a much more informative and pleasent way and "as the race goes along." Add to this that Ellard has not cut the original articles , meaning you get most of the support races too , which makes this rather colourless period the more colorfull. Also Ellard has added many good pictures to the lot that came with the articles. His complete results list per race is printed very clear with good inormations as is the other statistical pages. As well as being a rather factual book , I think it can be read as a non world championship history book as well. I am fully satisfied , a really good book .

PS. I have of course not read it yet , but seeing Ellard calling the teams with the correct names isd in itself a recommandation.

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 25 January 2010 - 15:39.

#8 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:21

I finally bought the book and it arrived a couple of days ago. I have to say I'm quite disappointed with it. It is merely a photocopy collection of old motor racing magazines, like the Transport Source Books or the Unique Motor Books series. The author wrote in the foreword of his previous book (Forgotten races) that he was inspired by Mike Lang, who wrote his excellent series of Grand Prix! books. I beleive Mr Ellard should have collected various contemporary motor racing magazines, read them, and then re-written the race reports in order to give the reader as much information as possible. The first book was a labour of love, but this latter one is just another of those reprinted magazine collections, which is sometimes difficult to read because of the small font size. It's still a great reference book, but nowhere near good as the first one.

#9 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 17:03

I finally bought the book and it arrived a couple of days ago. I have to say I'm quite disappointed with it. It is merely a photocopy collection of old motor racing magazines, like the Transport Source Books or the Unique Motor Books series. The author wrote in the foreword of his previous book (Forgotten races) that he was inspired by Mike Lang, who wrote his excellent series of Grand Prix! books. I beleive Mr Ellard should have collected various contemporary motor racing magazines, read them, and then re-written the race reports in order to give the reader as much information as possible. The first book was a labour of love, but this latter one is just another of those reprinted magazine collections, which is sometimes difficult to read because of the small font size. It's still a great reference book, but nowhere near good as the first one.

I have to agree, initially I was disappointed for the same reasons.

But, having had the book for a while, I have found that it has got results of the races even if you have to ferret around for them as the ones where there is not a magazine report, generally the more minor races, are collected separately. This means that when you see an unexpected result you don't know why it happened.

I rather enjoy the magazine reports as they include the support races which are rather nice period pieces. But I didn't buy the book for them.