Photo

Future F1 potential

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 16:07

Nominate young up and coming drivers who you want to see in F1 in the near future and discuss there individual merits.

I want to kick off with Paul di resta, for me a massivley under rated driver, beat vettel to the F3 title a few years back in equal machinery which surely shows that this guys is a good talent, not suggesting he is as good as vettel but must deserve a good shot in F1, his performance in the jerez rookie test were impressive, when you take into conisderation that jerez is a pretty high downforce track and those are the condition that force india generally struggle, his times were pretty quick and he didn't get as much seat time as some of the other drivers out there and managed to out pace them. Althou i do realise that those times might not be totally relavant due to teams running different programs.

Advertisement

#2 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 16:47

Jules Bianchi, take a look at his expolits in F3 last year and you'll know why...

#3 Jose Mourinho is Special

Jose Mourinho is Special

• 368 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 17:07

Daniel Ricciardo :up:

#4 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 17:35

Doubt it... but yeah, could be... Given that guys like Buemi and Alguersuari could get into F1 with Red Bull, then surely he can. But whether he's a Grand Prix winner like Vettel remains to be seen. First of all, British F3 had a lacklustre field this year, hence that Walter Grubm├╝ller had a shot at the title, and that Nick Tandy (not exactly superstar material) was a race winner in a privateer team. Secondly, Ricciardo lost out to Valtteri Bottas in Formula Renault in 2008, and Bottas stood no chance against Bianchi last year, not beating him on pace even once in the EuroSeries (but to be honest, he looked at bit like Bianchi in 2008). Ricciardo got to win 3.5 this year to have me believing in him for the future.

Edited by jeze, 09 January 2010 - 17:35.

#5 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,403 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 17:40

Fabio Leimer maybe?? Ran away with the formula master championship last year.

#6 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 17:48

Doubt it... but yeah, could be... Given that guys like Buemi and Alguersuari could get into F1 with Red Bull, then surely he can. But whether he's a Grand Prix winner like Vettel remains to be seen. First of all, British F3 had a lacklustre field this year, hence that Walter Grubm├╝ller had a shot at the title, and that Nick Tandy (not exactly superstar material) was a race winner in a privateer team. Secondly, Ricciardo lost out to Valtteri Bottas in Formula Renault in 2008, and Bottas stood no chance against Bianchi last year, not beating him on pace even once in the EuroSeries (but to be honest, he looked at bit like Bianchi in 2008). Ricciardo got to win 3.5 this year to have me believing in him for the future.

I reckon he must have a good shout at a torro rosso seat next year or for 2011 if alguasauri (yer, i can't spell it) doesn't improve next year, went to the rookie test in december and stayed at the same hotel as the teams and went for some food at the hotel restaurant, got shown to my table which was next to christian horner!! and some french bloke dunno who he was, i could hear everything they were saying and christian was saying how impressive ricciardo was, so that shows red bull think highly of him. Also saw mike conway and one of the ferrari testers from itailan F3, not sure of his name.

#7 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 17:54

I reckon he must have a good shout at a torro rosso seat next year or for 2011 if alguasauri (yer, i can't spell it) doesn't improve next year, went to the rookie test in december and stayed at the same hotel as the teams and went for some food at the hotel restaurant, got shown to my table which was next to christian horner!! and some french bloke dunno who he was, i could hear everything they were saying and christian was saying how impressive ricciardo was, so that shows red bull think highly of him. Also saw mike conway and one of the ferrari testers from itailan F3, not sure of his name.

I find it granted that he'll be in Toro Rosso for 2011, but the problem is that Red Bull throw in youngsters on the deep end all the time (but for Buemi), and only Vettel has really stood up to the pressure yet, so I believe there may be a fundamental issue with their young-driver's programme. The sad thing is that they won't investigate what they're doing wrong, simply because the can ride the crest of the wave on Vettel's success (it would have been difficult missing a driver who won almost all BMW races he took part in anyway). The long run of Red Bull-rejects at GP2 level and above shows that their gauging of talent may not be as precise as they'd like. They'd need to start a GP2 team in-house, possibly buying out Horner from Arden, and have a straight route to F1, simply because their drivers are underprepared for racing in the top echeleon when they arrive. Evene Vettel looked out of the place initially, and no wonder, since he came straight from the Renault 3.5 series.

As for Ricciardo's 1.17,4 time at Jerez, well the cars had become say 1,5-2 seconds faster than in February last year when F1 last visited the track. He also ran with low fuel to do a quick lap, in the fastest car of F1. I don't really mind, it showed nothing.

Edited by jeze, 09 January 2010 - 17:56.

#8 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 18:01

Ho Ping Tung
Velsechio

#9 Eau Red

Eau Red

• 500 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 18:05

Since he hasn't offically driven an F1 race yet, let me add "Nico Hulkenberg in the rain" to the list of things that will impress you in the future.

#10 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 18:11

Since he hasn't offically driven an F1 race yet, let me add "Nico Hulkenberg in the rain" to the list of things that will impress you in the future.

Especially after his miserable performance at Monza last year (off the track and off the pace ;) ). To his defence, he was really fast at the 'Ring, but he's never been a consistent performer in the wet. But, Vettel is not that way either.

Edited by jeze, 09 January 2010 - 18:11.

#11 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 18:12

Yer man, saw the GP2 nurburgring race, can't remember if it was the sprint or feature race, but he ran away with it from what i can remember.

#12 FI-Addict

FI-Addict

• 167 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 18:31

Felipe Nasr.

In his first year in Formula BMW he finished 1st and 2nd in all but 2 of the 16 rounds on his way to winning the series with relative ease, and he's only 17.

#13 craftverk

craftverk

• 2,810 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 18:39

Nominate young up and coming drivers who you want to see in F1 in the near future and discuss there individual merits.

I want to kick off with Paul di resta, for me a massivley under rated driver, beat vettel to the F3 title a few years back in equal machinery which surely shows that this guys is a good talent, not suggesting he is as good as vettel but must deserve a good shot in F1

eh? if he beat Vettel then surely he must be as good? :drunk:

#14 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 18:45

eh? if he beat Vettel then surely he must be as good? :drunk:

You would have thought so but until di resta gets a chance in F1 you can't really say for sure how good he is and the fact that vettel has been so impressive so far you have to say he is the better of the two as it stands.

#15 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 18:54

Alexander Rossi

#16 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 20:52

Alexander Rossi

Got beaten up big-time by Fabio Leimer this season. Leimer in turn was hopeless against mediocre Chris van der Drift in 2008. Formula Master is hardly the place to pick up talent.

#17 alfsboy

alfsboy

• 87 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 21:09

:clap:
+1.Real star potential

#18 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 21:21

Been following Ricciardo since karting, he along with Bianchi wil be the next new comers to Formula 1 either this season or definitely next year. Haven't seen any of Bianchi but Ricciardo will star. He is better than Webber for raw pace already.

#19 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,588 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 21:30

Got beaten up big-time by Fabio Leimer this season. Leimer in turn was hopeless against mediocre Chris van der Drift in 2008. Formula Master is hardly the place to pick up talent.

You've putting quite a wild spin on that - Leimer wasn't hopeless (in fact was 2nd in the championship and fairly close to van der Drift), wasn't team-mate to van der Drift so we can't compare that well, and van der Drift was in his 2nd season whereas Leimer was on his 1st.

Advertisement

#20 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 21:33

wasn't Leimer's second season in that series. and they drove for different teams?. wasn't Vettel betean by other drivrs in lower formula.. ? and look at where he is now
Rossi was very good in his gp2 test.. I hope he gets a chance..

Edited by BMW_F1, 09 January 2010 - 21:36.

#21 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 21:35

Also thinking that andy soucek might have a good shout with williams in a year or two after rubens retires, comfortable winner of F2 and won the 05 spanish F3 championship, despite pretty average results in GP2, reckon williams might see him as a good number 2 to the hulk if he can keep improving next year. Also one other young kid to look out for is Rio Haryanto, destroyed everyone in formula bmw pacific series and still only 16.

Edited by olliek88, 09 January 2010 - 21:48.

#22 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 23:29

wasn't Leimer's second season in that series. and they drove for different teams?. wasn't Vettel betean by other drivrs in lower formula.. ? and look at where he is now
Rossi was very good in his gp2 test.. I hope he gets a chance..

I can't judge a driver from Formula Master. That series isn't worth a penny, and attracted say 13 cars last year...

#23 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 23:36

Rossi looked pretty good in his GP2 debut though (unlike Leimer :p )

#24 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 23:37

Kazim Vasiliauskas

#25 Risil

Risil

• 13,918 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 23:39

Kyle Busch.

We can dream...

#26 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:39

Kyle Busch would just whinge that people aren't puling over for him, oh wait he already does enough of that!

#27 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:29

Kazim Vasiliauskas

Damn straight. I'll nominate Vitaly Petrov - I want to see a Russian in Formula 1. Vasiliaukas is Lithuanian, but that's close enough.

#28 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 19:52

Kyle Busch would just whinge that people aren't puling over for him, oh wait he already does enough of that!

:up:

#29 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 20:57

Kazim Vasiliauskas

Defintley

Alexander Simms
Sarah Moore
Dean Smith
Adam Christodoulou

These are the British drivers I see with a lot of potential.

Bradley Smith
Danny Kent

These are the British riders I see with a lot of potential.

Edited by THE "driverider", 10 January 2010 - 21:01.

#30 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 21:16

Defintley

Alexander Simms
Sarah Moore
Dean Smith
Adam Christodoulou

Bradley Smith
Danny Kent

Alex simms is a decent driver, if he can take advantage of the fact that he is with ART next year could give his career a boost but has got his work cut out up against bottas.

#31 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 21:36

Defintley

Alexander Simms
Sarah Moore
Dean Smith
Adam Christodoulou

Bradley Smith
Danny Kent

Christo could become an IndyCar driver in the long term, but I've seen nothing to suggest that he's F1 material. The F1 train has probbaly gone for Smith, so at 22 years he needs to do a mega season in whatever he does this year to even be on the radar. Sims has a good chance, but he really has to fend off Bottas first. I believe Bottas is a little better, but that acid test will be this year, and Sims may prove me wrong.

#32 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,496 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 21:43

Just a kid but here in Finland we have some high hopes for the future...

http://www.aarovaini...n...d=1&lang=en

#33 TheF1PERSON

TheF1PERSON

• 552 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 21:49

I believe it is 80% certain that Bianchi will be a Ferrari driver in the future. And perhaps in Sauber as well.