Photo

F1 Books (Merged)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 kurupt

kurupt

• 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:17

I was just having a look online for an interesting read over the summer break . . I see a trend happening here . .

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Then there was this one . . and look who is on the cover - note the Authors

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Mansell Madgwick

Mansell Madgwick

• 58 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:29

I don't know if it's the Complete Guide, but one of those books has a thumbnail pic of each car that entered each season from 1950, which is kind of interesting if you want to see the Samson Shag-sponsored Shadow or the Penthouse Hesketh, but other than that I reckon all these 'complete encyclopedias' are pish. Go for Autocourse.

#3 CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

• 151 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:34

I was just having a look online for an interesting read over the summer break . . I see a trend happening here . .

http://img687.images...4/f1books06.jpg http://img686.images...1/f1books02.jpg
http://img94.imagesh...5/f1books04.jpg http://img30.imagesh...6/f1books05.jpg http://img682.images...3/f1books01.jpg

[img]http://img188.images...6/f1books08.jpg http://img12.imagesh...9/f1books03.jpg http://img686.images...1/f1books09.jpg

Then there was this one . . and look who is on the cover - note the Authors

http://img710.images...2/f1books07.jpg

And what did you expect? I have a feeling that 99% of books published in the wake of this season will feature Brawn GP car and Jenson Button on their frontpages.

#4 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,767 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:58

What kurupt has failed to check is the date of publication of these books. The book with Alonso on the cover was published in October 2003, at which point Alonso had only one win to his name and was nowhere near the love/hate figure he is today. Perhaps more importantly Lewis was some 3 1/2 years away from making his F1 debut when that book was published, so it's cover has absolutely zero relevance to the way Alonso and Hamilton are viewed in 2009.

#5 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,078 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 17:55

I don't know if it's the Complete Guide, but one of those books has a thumbnail pic of each car that entered each season from 1950, which is kind of interesting if you want to see the Samson Shag-sponsored Shadow or the Penthouse Hesketh, but other than that I reckon all these 'complete encyclopedias' are pish. Go for Autocourse.

That "Complete Book" is good. For looking up obscure cars as you point out... I mean a pic of nearly every single F1 car ever.... cool. Always getting it out.

Edited by BullHead, 17 December 2009 - 17:56.

#6 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,258 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 17:58

Andrew Benson has a good guide for some Xmas F1 books here: http://news.bbc.co.u...one/default.stm

#7 kurupt

kurupt

• 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 19:20

@Imperial . . all I did was google F1 Books, and that is the results that came back . .

Thanks for the advice DMN . . I'll keep an eye out

Has anybody read "the edge of greatness" by good ol' James Allen?

#8 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,767 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 19:33

@Imperial . . all I did was google F1 Books, and that is the results that came back . .

Perhaps I misread the intent of your post but it seemed to me like you were showing all the books with Hamilton on the cover and showing the one book with Alonso on the cover as being a book entitled "F1 For Dummies" (which may not be an understandable euphamism to non-native English speakers) as if a point were to be made about Alonso being a dummy - you referenced the authors, which are the same as the books with Hamilton looking glorious on the cover and not being a dummy!

If it helps (and it does prove CrashTestDummys point) I just checked one of my F1 books, the Chronosports 2006 F1 Season Review and it features Fernando Alonso on the cover, 2006 of course being a successful year for Alonso.

Nevermind...

Edited by Imperial, 17 December 2009 - 19:34.

#9 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,078 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 19:35

Of course nearly every F1 book will picture the car / driver of that year of it's publication...

#10 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,768 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 19:46

Yes, it's the Arron/Hughes one. The original edition is better because they didn't write the hopeless captions for the newer one. Then again, it's more a look-at rather than read.

If you reduced it to one book, it would have to be Court's "Power And Glory", which takes it up to 1951. But everything since then is easily googlable.

#11 Suren

Suren

• 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 19:51

Yes. Great book. However, I recommend you buy another book to go with it because you will probably finish "The Edge of Greatness" in 3 days leaving you with the rest of the summer with nothing to read :well: It's very hard to put down. :)

#12 GIBF1

GIBF1

• 585 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 20:03

I've read Jensons book and i recommend it to JB fans and F1 fans in general

He talks about when he got the call about the Honda pull-out and the next few weeks leading upto the Brawn buy-out

He previews the teams and drivers and it also goes through testing

Then each race weekend, which consists of strategy, quali and the race through his perspective, also text messages from friends and family - one strangely from Craig David

And Kubica, Fisi and Rosberg are known as the ''poker-face crew'' :lol:

Edited by GIBF1, 17 December 2009 - 20:34.

#13 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 20:30

Yup very good, just avoid his newest 'book' which is simply a copy-and-paste of his blog.

Recommend Jackie Stewart's autiobiography and Tommy Byrne's book 'Crashed and Byrned.'

#14 fiat124

fiat124

• 52 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 20:43

If you are interested in the technical side of F1, consider the 2 books by Steve Matchett, former F1 mechanic: "The Chariot Makers" and "The Mechanics Tale".

#15 kurupt

kurupt

• 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 23:30

Thanks guys - in my OP, I was more-or-less trying to point out that I was after an F1 related book,and all I could find was books by , pretty much, the same people - all glorifying hamilton . . and then there the one with Alonso/dummies . .

However, I do not want to read about hamilton, which it appears that is all I could find . .

Anyway, fantastic feedback on the other books, thank you very much

I think I may go for edge of greatness - sounds quite compelling (I'll buy it with, maybe, that new Dan Brown book)

Cheers again

#16 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 4,560 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 23:38

There's an old saying about not judging a book by it's cover...

#17 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 15:51

If you're gonna buy any f1 book, get the one on Gilles Villeneuve by Geoffrey Donaldson. Fantastic book.

#18 Conny_Mary

Conny_Mary

• 167 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 16:14

Have anyone read a book called F1 Fanatic by Koen Vergeer?
I claim it a wonderful book,historical stories attract me most. :up:

#19 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,767 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 16:16

Thanks guys - in my OP, I was more-or-less trying to point out that I was after an F1 related book,and all I could find was books by , pretty much, the same people - all glorifying hamilton . . and then there the one with Alonso/dummies . .

However, I do not want to read about hamilton, which it appears that is all I could find . .

Anyway, fantastic feedback on the other books, thank you very much

I think I may go for edge of greatness - sounds quite compelling (I'll buy it with, maybe, that new Dan Brown book)

Cheers again

Honestly, you may as well buy any of those books.

As I mentioned above, just one of the F1 books I have is the Chronosports 2006 F1 Season Review with Alonso on the cover. It's actually a (pretty decent) book filled with all of the drivers, all of the teams all of the tracks, and all of the races from that season. They have to put something on the cover, it just makes sense to use the current champion on a lot as that is the person Joe Public will be most familiar with. I think you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face avoiding any of those books because of the cover star.

Advertisement

#20 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,846 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 16:48

Everyone in the UK get yourselves down to 'Borders' there's only a few more days to get 40% off some of these books before they are completely liquidated.

#21 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 18:28

Everyone in the UK get yourselves down to 'Borders' there's only a few more days to get 40% off some of these books before they are completely liquidated.

See, I went to my local Borders today and, with my trusty bar-code scanning app on my mobile, found that even with the discounts they were still more expensive that Waterstone's across the road or Amazon online.

#22 Ensign

Ensign

• 169 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 18:53

For those interested in the business side of F1 I recommend Russell Hotten's 'Winning: The Business of Formula One'

Link

It is 8 or 9 years old but much of it is still relevant.

Edited by Ensign, 18 December 2009 - 18:55.

#23 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,078 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 16:00

For those interested in the business side of F1 I recommend Russell Hotten's 'Winning: The Business of Formula One'

Link

It is 8 or 9 years old but much of it is still relevant.

Agree. It's a bible for anyone wanting to understand the finance of top level motorsport.

#24 Talking Point

Talking Point

• 201 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 20:38

Have anyone read a book called F1 Fanatic by Koen Vergeer?
I claim it a wonderful book,historical stories attract me most. :up:

I read that book years ago; basically just an old-timer talking about his love of F1, Damon Hill and Jos Verstappen?? :yawnface: What was it you found interesting?

#25 Colinmcc

Colinmcc

• 90 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 14:50

Not sure this is the correct place to put this or not so mod's can move if needs be.

For U.K based members of the forum you may be interested that the book "Emerson Fittipaldi - Heart of a Racer" is available in the Pound Land stores for a mere £1, my Dad purchased it for me recently.

Just thought I'd share this with you all as I thought it was a bargain.

#26 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,078 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 17:56

Thanks for the tip. It's funny sometimes you do get the odd gem popping up in these cheap stores. Must be old stock that someone wants to shift and doesn't really care or know what it is. Sell it cheap cos probably no one wants it sort of thing. Truth is not many people in all probability do want these books, but it's nice for us fans to see the odd book going for a pound, when once it was 12-15 quid. Might as well check it out eh?

#27 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 18:05

Yeah, its worth it for a couple quid. I picked up Jackie Stewart, David Coulthard and Andy Priaulxs books for 3quid each in my local Bargain Books. Bargain! (Excuse the pun)

#28 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,767 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 23:16

Another vote for Matchett's books. Also Eddie Jordan's auto is quite entertaining, lots of stories, of course from his perspective, but they are lots of amusing ones!
On the business side, Bobby Unser has quite a book - Winners are Driven, probably one of the very best racing related books.
On F1 business, Bernie's Game is a very hard one to read, but lots and lots to learn from it, I would say it's a must to read by anyone who wants to understand how F1 grew up to this. Actually quite recently, Damon Hill once said something along the lines "There is a whole book on what's wrong with Formula One. It's called Bernie's Game".
I would love to read a book about Gilles, also something from this century dealings. I hope Max is going to write a book, he promised. Also Stepney's promised one, but I don't care much about the spy gate, more about the intra Ferrari structure.

#29 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 23:28

Another vote for Matchett's books. Also Eddie Jordan's auto is quite entertaining, lots of stories, of course from his perspective, but they are lots of amusing ones!
On the business side, Bobby Unser has quite a book - Winners are Driven, probably one of the very best racing related books.
On F1 business, Bernie's Game is a very hard one to read, but lots and lots to learn from it, I would say it's a must to read by anyone who wants to understand how F1 grew up to this. Actually quite recently, Damon Hill once said something along the lines "There is a whole book on what's wrong with Formula One. It's called Bernie's Game".
I would love to read a book about Gilles, also something from this century dealings. I hope Max is going to write a book, he promised. Also Stepney's promised one, but I don't care much about the spy gate, more about the intra Ferrari structure.

I seriously urge you to buy this book: http://www.amazon.co...-...5250&sr=8-1

My favourite motorsport related book, if not my favourite book period.

#30 ff1600

ff1600

• 146 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:32

Peter Revson's book was good. Fast by JYS sucked. Autocourse is always good.

#31 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:09

If you're gonna buy any f1 book, get the one on Gilles Villeneuve by Geoffrey Donaldson. Fantastic book.

I would agree, a compelling and moving read.

I really miss the F1 annuals or yearbooks which Murray Walker used to bring out every year. They were quite small, but packed with photos and humour, and very good value.

#32 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 00:20

Yeah, I recently bought those on Amazon second-hand.

#33 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,767 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:12

I seriously urge you to buy this book: http://www.amazon.co...-...5250&sr=8-1

My favourite motorsport related book, if not my favourite book period.

Thanks, I will do it then. I'm a bit reserved to autobiographies written by another person, since some tend to be mainly results and race reviews, but I will get this one then:)

#34 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:00

Recommend Jackie Stewart's autiobiography and Tommy Byrne's book 'Crashed and Byrned.'

:up: got jackie stewarts book, very interesting, just brought crashed and byrned and so far its a great book.

#35 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,085 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 19:41

Agree on Jackies book.

Also worth a look are the books by Sid Watkins:
http://www.amazon.co...mp;sr=8-1-spell
http://www.amazon.co...mp;sr=8-3-spell

I was given a pile of book vouchers for christmas and found Maurice Hamiltons book on Williams, well worth a read.

#36 Colinmcc

Colinmcc

• 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 17:01

Just thought I'd also point out Waterstones currently have a book "60 Years of F1" some awesome photos and good interviews, all for £5.99 picked up a copy of it today.