Photo

2010 pre-season testing coverage

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,384 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 21:50

Will the BBC show this year's pre-season testing on the red button? Where does everyone get their coverage?

Advertisement

#2 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,248 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 21:53

Will the BBC show this year's pre-season testing on the red button?

No plans AFAIK.

#3 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,181 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 00:20

im pretty sure there is no television coverage anywhere, your best bet to follow it, is places like f1today.nl etc

Edited by Buttoneer, 15 January 2010 - 09:54.
Removed quoted text and response

#4 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:15

I'd much rather watch testing than what's on the red button at the moment - that exhilarating tension filled sport of................. snooker

#5 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:07

Will the BBC show this year's pre-season testing on the red button? Where does everyone get their coverage?

Has anyone ever broadcast pre-season testing? I can't recall any instances of it. Formula1.com doesn't even have a Live Timing session for it. Pre-season testing is not exactly something people flock to; some of the tests - like USF1 at Barber - are closed to the public.

Edited by Captain Tightpants, 15 January 2010 - 09:07.

#6 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,585 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:12

Race weekend footage is supplied by FOM, so unless Bernie sends his cameras in there will not be any coverage. There is certainly no chance of the BBC sending cameras to cover a test, there really is no justification for it.

#7 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:18

Race weekend footage is supplied by FOM, so unless Bernie sends his cameras in there will not be any coverage. There is certainly no chance of the BBC sending cameras to cover a test, there really is no justification for it.

And tests aren't exactly the most exciting thing in the world. I imgaine it would be like early practice sessions, where the drivers do an installation lap or two, come back and gather data and go form there. They wouldn't be in the business of setting fastest lap after fastest lap, but aiming for a pre-determined target time. And if there are multiple cars on the circuit, you're not going to see any passing. Hell, the teams probably stagger the release of cars from the pits to prevent one from getting caught up in the wake of another and losing valuable data. And the drivers aren't exactly pushing, either - they're there to get a feel for the car.

#8 mstar

mstar

• 1,105 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:41

test sessions can be very boring and very confusing to public. Teams use different fuel loads/mix qualy/race and tyres being new and old. and u find others pounding around lap after lap. I have been to some test sessions and i can tell you from experience its not the most interesting other then TRYING to see similar stints between the teams and seeing which is quicker.

#9 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,585 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:45

And tests aren't exactly the most exciting thing in the world. I imgaine it would be like early practice sessions, where the drivers do an installation lap or two, come back and gather data and go form there. They wouldn't be in the business of setting fastest lap after fastest lap, but aiming for a pre-determined target time. And if there are multiple cars on the circuit, you're not going to see any passing. Hell, the teams probably stagger the release of cars from the pits to prevent one from getting caught up in the wake of another and losing valuable data. And the drivers aren't exactly pushing, either - they're there to get a feel for the car.

Trackside, testing can be good fun, but really wouldn't warrent sending the cameras.

If the tests follow a similar pattern to those I've attended at Silverstone then the morning is usually spent tweaking the car, with cars coming out for short runs and back to the pits. In the afternoon they tend to do longer runs of anywhere between 10-20 laps and often complete the equivalent of 2 GP's. In the last hour they often start to do Q runs and go for the fastest lap. This was one of the best bits, especially if a lot of teams were there. Not as much fun now that the teams can only use one car. There is no overtaking though, whenever someone gets caught the following car backs off.

#10 robracer

robracer

• 1,028 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:53

I'm sorry for offending people with my post (now deleted), especially the original poster. I realise now that it was a stupid comment that I should never have typed up, and would like to apologise to Guizotia and everyone. I promise this will never happen again.

#11 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:55

Trackside, testing can be good fun, but really wouldn't warrent sending the cameras.

If the tests follow a similar pattern to those I've attended at Silverstone then the morning is usually spent tweaking the car, with cars coming out for short runs and back to the pits. In the afternoon they tend to do longer runs of anywhere between 10-20 laps and often complete the equivalent of 2 GP's. In the last hour they often start to do Q runs and go for the fastest lap. This was one of the best bits, especially if a lot of teams were there. Not as much fun now that the teams can only use one car. There is no overtaking though, whenever someone gets caught the following car backs off.

I can't imagine the Beeb setting aside an entire day of programming just to show all of that, even if FOM did supply footage.

#12 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,898 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 15:45

Only if they had it available on the Red Button as earlier last year I found live Moto GP testing at Jerez coverage of F1 testing would be sweet for F1 Fans.