Photo

Hamilton: "I was responsible for one of the upgrades that brought us three points of downforce"

• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#1 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,567 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:03

“I spend a lot of time with my aerodynamicists, questioning them, and I’m sure they look at me and go, ‘He’s just a driver, what’s he talking about?’” smiles Lewis. “But I have a proven understanding of the engineering of my car. This year, I was responsible for one of the upgrades that brought us three points of downforce in Spa. We didn’t really perform that weekend, but it stayed on the carfor the rest of the year and it helped. It was something I forced and got put on the car, and it was better, and it was great. You know, I was going to put my signature on it...”

What do you think of that? This forum has been mocking Alonso for two years for his famous "six tenths" statement. I´d like to know your opinion about this one.

My personal opinion is that a driver CAN give the team the feedback to make the car faster, so i´m not going to bash Hamilton for this comment.

Advertisement

#2 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:08

What do you think of that? This forum has been mocking Alonso for two years for his famous "six tenths" statement. I´d like to know your opinion about this one.

My personal opinion is that a driver CAN give the team the feedback to make the car faster, so i´m not going to bash Hamilton for this comment.

Even NOT being an Alonso fan I've got fed up of the endless 6 tenths 'jokes'. :lol:

Well done to Hammy on his work with the aero guys, he has a fantastic talent for motivating people IMO. Prodding them without p*ssing them off.

I think this little story will worry the other drivers too, especially Jense of course :)

#3 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:08

What a fool he sounds....

Im sure he spent weeks on the drawing board by himself integrating that upgrade onto the car...

Hamilton, give the credit to who it belongs to, the engineers who designed it. All you did was tell them "hey,guys the car aint so **** anymore, Good job!"

#4 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:10

I bet Heikki is thrilled to hear it was Lewis that got him the 6th at Spa and not his drive :lol:

Edited by SAFC09, 17 January 2010 - 13:10.

#5 SAFC09

SAFC09

• 266 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:12

I think this little story will worry the other drivers too, especially Jense of course :)

I bet he's quaking in his boots :drunk:

#6 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:16

I think too much focus is placed on what drivers can bring in isolation. It's a partnership. Firstly, the engineers have to trust what the driver is telling them, and secondly they have to be able to translate that into making the car faster.

I'm sure Hamilton is not the first to argue for certain things on his car which the engineers may not have agreed with.

#7 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:16

:lol:
The recent BBC interview improved his standing with me from 'utter cock' to 'becoming OK'. Sadly he just slipped back towards the 'utter cock' category. :well:

#8 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:17

Typical Hamilton, when things go badly its the fault of the team when things go well it is because he is the second coming of christ, Bishop really does need to gag this muppet

#9 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:18

So in a year where everyone knew they struggled a lot with aero issues and they had a phenomenal comeback...it was Hamilton's engineering skills and British bulldog style determination to force them to implement an upgrade to increase performance that saved the day and got them back up to the top.

His ego and lust for PR knows no bounds.

#10 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:18

:lol:
The recent BBC interview improved his standing with me from 'utter cock' to 'becoming OK'. Sadly he just slipped back towards the 'utter cock' category. :well:

I think this is actually an old quote, but Hamilton is never going to change. Most of the time he talks sense, others you just have to cringe at the way he loves patting himself on the back. And I say that as a fan of his.

#11 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:19

Typical Hamilton, when things go badly its the fault of the team when things go well it is because he is the second coming of christ, Bishop really does need to gag this muppet

Bishop is a muppet himself. Perhaps Hamilton needs to get away from his PR teachings....

#12 Xaus

Xaus

• 602 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:21

Anyone else read that "OMG here is Lewis the way LEWIS really is!!!" interview in F1 Racing?

Anyone else let down by it? It reads like any other corporate-sensistive image-wary "careful wording" interview Lewis has ever done. Maybe this is just the way he is? Considering he's been with McLaren since a very young age I guess all this corporate-smiles talk is just how he was raised.

#13 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,567 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:22

OffTopic: Bishop is the british journalist that McLaren hired at the end of 2007 after he was bashing Alonso all year??

#14 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:23

Is that really coming from an Alonso supporter?

At least Hamiton did a good job of justifying his comment and contribution, rather than saying "I brought a definite amount of performance to the team"...

#15 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:24

Anyone else read that "OMG here is Lewis the way LEWIS really is!!!" interview in F1 Racing?

Anyone else let down by it? It reads like any other corporate-sensistive image-wary "careful wording" interview Lewis has ever done. Maybe this is just the way he is? Considering he's been with McLaren since a very young age I guess all this corporate-smiles talk is just how he was raised.

That's how most of them are raised. That is the unfortunate world of F1. The onl character is/was Kimi- and that's because he generally spared us from the PR bollocks by saying nothing!

Mind you, most on the thread seem to hold the opinion that these quoted comments from Hamilton are not PR enough. So maybe F1 fans like the PR talk.....

#16 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:24

I wonder how many upgrades Hiekki was able to "force" on to the car to suit him??

#17 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:31

So in a year where everyone knew they struggled a lot with aero issues and they had a phenomenal comeback...it was Hamilton's engineering skills and British bulldog style determination to force them to implement an upgrade to increase performance that saved the day and got them back up to the top.

His ego and lust for PR knows no bounds.

How did you go from three points of downforce to bringing the team back up to the top on his own?
Yeah right, you just jumped to it so you could have a bash.

Edited by Atreiu, 17 January 2010 - 13:32.

#18 mstar

mstar

• 1,834 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:32

lewis sounds like a right idiot doesn't he? its as laughable as the 0.6tenths alonso was going on about. Sure lewis u researched, designed and built and drove the new part your god

#19 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:33

Is that really coming from an Alonso supporter?

At least Hamiton did a good job of justifying his comment and contribution, rather than saying "I brought a definite amount of performance to the team"...

Maybe so but if Hamilton is so actively involved in the design of the car and so on as he says then he must equally share responsibility for the dog of the car that was about in the first half of the season as I am sure he will have consulted with the designers all year not just in the summer

Advertisement

#20 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:35

How did you go from three points of downforce to bringing the team back up to the top on his own?

McLaren lacking downforce, Lewis creates downforce.
Judging by the comments Lewis believes "3 points" of downforce to be a significant amount especially since they kept it for the rest of the season.

#21 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:36

A stupid comment from Hamilton deserves nothing more than a bash in return. He sets himself up or it.

Read what Hamilton is saying, its Pure BS. He deserves what ever he gets in return.

#22 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:40

I bet he's quaking in his boots :drunk:

Well the last thing Jense needs is Lewis the Engineers' Mate. The fact that Lewis involves himself in their work will be a plus for him and an influence on the car.

I'm starting to think Lewis is cleverer than I realised. He didn't do much at school and he expresses himself simply, but from half way through his first year he was doing his own setups, and we see on track and hear on the radio he's very aware and thinks quickly.

And in terms of the battle with his teammate, well it's a new weapon. With Fernando it was team building, with Kovy it was race pace, with Jenson maybe it'll be this.

Plus pace obviously ;) :p

#23 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:46

The only problem I have is that I know what 6 tenths do, but what do 3 points of downforce do? :p

#24 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:52

The only problem I have is that I know what 6 tenths do, but what do 3 points of downforce do? :p

:lol: What 3 points of downforce does is to round up the Hamilton bashers and send them into a frenzy. That's about all I know so far.

#25 robracer

robracer

• 1,028 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:55

He's the one that drives the car and knows what updates work and what doesn't work, and him working closely with the engineers will help the car improve much quicker than if he turns up just to drive the car. It's a fair statement for Lewis to make because he does work closely with the team so his feedback would've helped get the car into the position of being able to challenge for podiums and wins in the latter part of 2009.

Alonso in 2008 helped Renault with his feedback, that car was nowhere in the first half of the year but in the last 8 races he got 2 wins, a 2nd place and four 4th places.

#26 Sisplatin

Sisplatin

• 501 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:56

booooo.... coming from an Alonso fan :wave:

McLaren lacking downforce, Lewis creates downforce.
Judging by the comments Lewis believes "3 points" of downforce to be a significant amount especially since they kept it for the rest of the season.

Alonso fans are sooooo desperate to get a counter argument for the famous 6 tenths! :lol:

But nothing comes near to the famous 6 tenths  ;)

#27 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 710 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:58

Finally I got something when some douche launches the "six tenths" comment

#28 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

What a fool he sounds....

Im sure he spent weeks on the drawing board by himself integrating that upgrade onto the car...

Hamilton, give the credit to who it belongs to, the engineers who designed it. All you did was tell them "hey,guys the car aint so **** anymore, Good job!"

This was posted at another Thread here by "Hunnylander"
watch it, and you will se how much credit Lewis gives to his engineers.

#29 Sisplatin

Sisplatin

• 501 posts

Alonso in 2008 helped Renault with his feedback, that car was nowhere in the first half of the year but in the last 8 races he got 2 wins, a 2nd place and four 4th places.

2 ????

1 win be credited to Flavio and his lapdog  ;)

#30 Nuvol

Nuvol

• 654 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:59

quote of the day :cool: :up:

#31 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 13:59

Just found a quote on another forum - Martin Whitmarsh talking about DDD's said you can probably think of 20 points of downforce being worth about 1 second. Because of the circular effect of working the tyres harder and getting them up to temperature, cornering faster and so on. So less on its own, but 3 would be a useful amount.

#32 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:05

Alonso fans are sooooo desperate to get a counter argument for the famous 6 tenths! :lol:

But nothing comes near to the famous 6 tenths ;)

Like I said before I have no problem with Hamilton saying this as long as he equally says his engineering skills were **** between when the MP4-25 was conceived and the upgrades last summer as surely he was involved in the engineering and design process of the original dog of a car

It is incredibly patronising of Hamilton to remain silent and let the engineers and designers carry the can for the **** first half of the season and then claim the 2nd half revival was all due to his superhuman design skills

If I was one of his engineers and read this I would want to knock his rabbit teeth out

#33 gillymuse

gillymuse

• 312 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:05

Just found a quote on another forum - Martin Whitmarsh talking about DDD's said you can probably think of 20 points of downforce being worth about 1 second. Because of the circular effect of working the tyres harder and getting them up to temperature, cornering faster and so on. So less on its own, but 3 would be a useful amount.

That would be 0.15 seconds per lap for 3 points :)

Edited by gillymuse, 17 January 2010 - 14:05.

#34 Speed_Racer

Speed_Racer

• 242 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:08

What are Lewis's educational qualifications?

#35 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:10

"This year, I was responsible for one of the upgrades that brought us three points of downforce in Spa"

It must be his ego, I know of course that an ego isn't a physical thing, but his has such a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge mass it must surely weigh something, I think he's underestimating 3 points though.

Another week, another dose of "look how great I am"

#36 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,646 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:12

I think that quotes should be attributed, so that we know they haven't been invented (not by the poster, at least).

I think the thread title's quote is from an article by Bradley Lord in the December issue of F1 Racing magazine, but I'm not a regular reader of that publication so I can't be sure.

#37 Sisplatin

Sisplatin

• 501 posts

Like I said before I have no problem with Hamilton saying this as long as he equally says his engineering skills were **** between when the MP4-25 was conceived and the upgrades last summer as surely he was involved in the engineering and design process of the original dog of a car

It is incredibly patronising of Hamilton to remain silent and let the engineers and designers carry the can for the **** first half of the season and then claim the 2nd half revival was all due to his superhuman design skills

If I was one of his engineers and read this I would want to knock his rabbit teeth out

you are taking it too far dude
He always maintained WE have a bad car, WE didnot make a good car, WE didnt develop properly etc etc
He never said the TEAM made a bad car and its their fault ....Its Alonso who cr@p stuffs like that

#38 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Well the last thing Jense needs is Lewis the Engineers' Mate. The fact that Lewis involves himself in their work will be a plus for him and an influence on the car.

I'm starting to think Lewis is cleverer than I realised. He didn't do much at school and he expresses himself simply, but from half way through his first year he was doing his own setups, and we see on track and hear on the radio he's very aware and thinks quickly.

And in terms of the battle with his teammate, well it's a new weapon. With Fernando it was team building, with Kovy it was race pace, with Jenson maybe it'll be this.

Plus pace obviously ;) :p

Aki Hintsa says that Hamilton is intelligent.
Lewis can make decisions in a flash. He is an extremely clever young man.
In Finland they think that Hamilton's success in rainy conditions are due to the car but Hintsa has another explanation.
–Of all the top drivers Lewis can most quickly adjust to new special conditions. He doesn't have to look for his limits for two or three laps. He finds them so quickly that everytime the conditions change it works in his advantage.

#39 Sisplatin

Sisplatin

• 501 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:16

Honestly speaking this "i HELPED to bring 3 clicks of downforce for the car" FROM this "I brought 6 tenths to the team and they should be loyal for that"
These two have heaven and earth difference !

Advertisement

#40 timmy bolt

timmy bolt

• 1,569 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:16

He's pretty exact with what he did. Hes not saying that hes designed the car, but that he had an idea (which would then have been designed by the aero team) for a one off modification that added an (unknown) amount of time.

Why do people think "i came up with an idea that worked" actually mean "i designed the car"...

Sounds like putting 2 and 2 together and getting 16 to me.

As for blaming the team when it doesn't go well...hes more than happy to put his hands up and admit failure when he crashes, but when hes plain slow, then yes, its largely the designers fault. How can you disagree with this?

#41 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,567 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:17

And the difference is...

#42 Gaia

Gaia

• 84 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:17

So he said he was responsible for ONE of the upgrades last year.... I fail to see what the problem is. *shrugs*

#43 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:19

What are Lewis's educational qualifications?

The same of Ron Dennis and Bill Gates.

#44 Sisplatin

Sisplatin

• 501 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:20

Alonso fans are sooooo desperate to get a counter argument for the famous 6 tenths!

And the difference is...

.......this "i HELPED to bring 3 clicks of downforce for the car"
FROM
.......this "I BROUGHT 6 tenths with me to the team and they should be loyal for that" .
:rolleyes:

Edited by Sisplatin, 17 January 2010 - 14:21.

#45 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:21

He's pretty exact with what he did. Hes not saying that hes designed the car, but that he had an idea (which would then have been designed by the aero team) for a one off modification that added an (unknown) amount of time.

Why do people think "i came up with an idea that worked" actually mean "i designed the car"...

As for blaming the team when it doesn't go well...hes more than happy to put his hands up and admit failure when he crashes, but when hes plain slow, then yes, its largely the designers fault. How can you disagree with this?

Much of the Hamilton hype is that he is like Schumacher in sense he is always at the factory, he is the lead driver so the designers would have consulted Hamilton and Hamilton given his opinions and feedback through the design process and during the racing season so if Hamilton helped make the car fast he must equally have helped make it slow too in the first place

#46 Sisplatin

Sisplatin

• 501 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:21

So he said he was responsible for ONE of the upgrades last year.... I fail to see what the problem is. *shrugs*

It is all about Alonso fans getting an erection :smoking:

Edited by Sisplatin, 17 January 2010 - 14:23.

#47 Gaia

Gaia

• 84 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:22

I agree. It honestly just sound like he's proud of himself for contributing to the development of the car. I really don't understand the need to knock him down for saying that. The same applies if any other driver had said that.

#48 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,567 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:27

I agree. It honestly just sound like he's proud of himself for contributing to the development of the car. I really don't understand the need to knock him down for saying that. The same applies if any other driver had said that.

Exactly. The problem is that for some people it doesn´t apply if the driver´s name is Fernando Alonso.

#49 Gaia

Gaia

• 84 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:29

Much of the Hamilton hype is that he is like Schumacher in sense he is always at the factory, he is the lead driver so the designers would have consulted Hamilton and Hamilton given his opinions and feedback through the design process and during the racing season so if Hamilton helped make the car fast he must equally have helped make it slow too in the first place

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just seems like you trying to find a way to blame him for something. I think on more than one occasion, Hamilton has praised the team for their efforts. Hence, I don't find it all bad if he tries to take credit for ONE measly upgrade.

#50 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:29

Exactly. The problem is that for some people it doesn´t apply if the driver´s name is Fernando Alonso.

Alonso had been shafted by the team in particular Ron so his heat of the moment letting off anger 0.6 is much more mitigation than Hamilton's self promotion