Photo

Bruno Ferrari

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisD

ChrisD

• 112 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 16:39

Bruno Ferrari competed in the Mille Miglia in an AC Ace in 1956 and in a Lotus XI in 1957.

In his "Mille Miglia: the world's greatest road race" Anthony Pritchard says that Ferrari was a British driver. Does anyone have any more information on Bruno Ferrari please?

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 17:19

At the top of each page is a little button labelled "search"
That brings up five threads mentioning Bruno Ferrari :)

#3 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 17:39

Bruno Ferrari competed in the Mille Miglia in an AC Ace in 1956 and in a Lotus XI in 1957.

In his "Mille Miglia: the world's greatest road race" Anthony Pritchard says that Ferrari was a British driver. Does anyone have any more information on Bruno Ferrari please?

I saw Buno racing karts here in Ireland in the 60s , he was a cool guy with a good set up.

#4 coupekarter

coupekarter

• 48 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 00:06

Bruno Ferrari was in fact one of the most successful British kart racers ever, winning (I think) 7 British Championship titles between 1963 & 1971. In the early days he worked in what I assume was the family business at Covent Garden - Emilio Ferrari fruit & vegetable importer, but later turning what had been his part time karting business/hobby run out of his home garage first in Stanmore, later in Pinner, into a full time business with proper premises in Harrow. Engine tuning & preparation was his speciality, and after he retired from racing in 1975 (when he was still very quick) he prepared many championship winning motors. I drove for him in the mid 80's when he was with the second of his 3 wives, Karen. He died in July 2002 from cancer.

#5 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:28

Buno Ferrari now there is a blast from the past. How I first came to meet up with him I do not remember but obviously it was through racing in Britain. However when I was in Modena in 1957 I met up with him as he was on holiday and was living with a relative in Vignola near Modena . He told me and my pal Sandy Forrest that on the Saturday night there was going to be a big dance in Vignola and we should come along, nudge nudge, wink wink. The prospect of meeting some nice Italian girls was too much and we duly arrived to find Bruno dressed up but looking slightly distraught. When we got inside we saw why, sure, there were plenty of girls but also about ten grannies with their knitting watching to see there was no fraternisation so we promptly left. If I remember correctly he was in on the early days of karting in Britain and then went big time. A character and sorry to see he died I never met up with him again

#6 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 15:17

I saw Buno racing karts here in Ireland in the 60s , he was a cool guy with a good set up.

Bruno Ferrari was a familiar sight with his AC Ace and Lotus at British Club meetings in 1956 and 1957. Sunglasses, suede jackets and pale blue overalls, a cool guy indeed!.

#7 nubenow

nubenow

• 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:40

I first came in contact with Bruno back in 1969 I believe it was, when I wrote to him with regards buying Parilla engine off him to race in New Zealand karting. Over time, I bought a number of engines and chassis from Bruno, and finally got to meet up with him in 1974 when I became the first kart driver from New Zealand to ever compete in an FIA World Championship, in Estoril in Portugal.

Bruno had also arranged for me to tour the IAME factory in Piacenza, lunch with Bruno Grano and arranged for loner engines from IAME in Estoril. I remember very clearly Estoril, Bruno had driven down in his Bentley I believe it was, complete with portable bar in the boot! I had made the switch from Deavinson Sprint chassis to Taifun from Munich and had spent weeks in Munich working with Taifun and had actually driven down to Estoril with Fritz Schofer's...........Taifun Karts..... dad.........which was another quite hilarious tale, as I spoke no German and he no English and it's an awful long way from Munich to Estoril!

Bruno was a wonderful soul, always helpful and honest, sometimes to the point of brutality, and after I moved to live in England and got out of karts and into racing cars, we kept in touch and I have fond memories of many an evening over at the house in Pinner, consuming many bottles of one of his favorite wines......Barbera. From time to time I got the bug to get into a kart again and Bruno always provided one for me to play with.

It saddened me to learn of his passing, a true friend. I live in Miami now, still in racing.
Gordon Friend

#8 DeeJayH

DeeJayH

• 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 20:04

Hi,
Must add some comments regarding Bruno. I met him when I entered into karting and it turned out that my Dad new him previously through Bruno's mother who was a good friend of his and they did business together in Covent Garden where they both had business premises. Bruno helped me a lot with engines, he was the Parilla concessionare and talked me into using them (buying them!). I spent many happy hours in his garage in Stanmore listening to his stories and helping him with his unending supply of brandy but I can remember on one occasion being totally gobsmacked by walking into the garage to see this beautiful red 246 Dino that had just been delivered to him by his friend Clay Regazzoni! I do certainly remember him telling me that he had competed in the Mille Miglia in an AC Ace but he did not mention the Lotus. We drove together in a six hour kart race using a German engine (Petry) which at the time was a challenge to the all conquering Italian motors, however Bruno was not at all happy with the handling of our Zipkart which had terrible understeer due to 'strange' tyres so decided that I should do the bulk of the driving whilst he concentrated on strategy. The 'strategy' was called Courvoisier, the bottle perched on the roof of his Ferrari 330GT. We did not win! My wife, Pat, once had a difference of opinon with Bruno regarding the merits of brandy. It was Martel v Courvoisier, can't remember who won. I was very sad to hear of his passing, too late to attend the funeral, however I will not forget him, a character and good friend.
Duncan Harland

#9 MaxFerrari13

MaxFerrari13

• 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 18:31

Some lovely comments about my father here, I thank you all.
He was certainly a huge presence in British Motorsport for the better part of 50 years, and he is sorely missed by his family, myself, my sister Dina and my mother Karen (though some of you may know her as Linda - don't ask!)
We are doing what we can to keep his name alive in the sport, especially in Karting where he helped so many drivers, young and old, to great success. We are in the process of putting together a website and would welcome any comments, anecdotes, stories and pictures.

If anyone would like any information about my fathers racing in the Mille Miglia (56 & 57), car or kart racing then just let me know.

I mentioned this thread to my mother and we read all the comments with a smile on our faces, and she remembers many of you, though I think I may be a bit too young!

Regards,

Max Ferrari

Edited by MaxFerrari13, 16 March 2010 - 18:39.

#10 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,591 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 19:42

Posted Image

This is one of the few autographs I possess. Completely out of the blue, Bruno and John Brise turned up in Guernsey in June 1965, competed in the Val des Terres hillclimb on Whit Monday and then blew the local lads away at the kart meeting the following day. My chum Phil and I were very impressed to be talking to a man called Ferrari. He struck me as a very nice guy who put up with being pestered by us young lads very good-naturedly.

#11 DeeJayH

DeeJayH

• 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 21:27

Some lovely comments about my father here, I thank you all.
He was certainly a huge presence in British Motorsport for the better part of 50 years, and he is sorely missed by his family, myself, my sister Dina and my mother Karen (though some of you may know her as Linda - don't ask!)
We are doing what we can to keep his name alive in the sport, especially in Karting where he helped so many drivers, young and old, to great success. We are in the process of putting together a website and would welcome any comments, anecdotes, stories and pictures.

If anyone would like any information about my fathers racing in the Mille Miglia (56 & 57), car or kart racing then just let me know.

I mentioned this thread to my mother and we read all the comments with a smile on our faces, and she remembers many of you, though I think I may be a bit too young!

Regards,

Max Ferrari

Hi Max,
So nice to hear your remarks on the various comments regarding your dad! I for one would like to know more of his Mille Miglia exploits and I have a few pics and stories of him from the karting days whiich I would like you to have. Please send my regards to your mum.
Yours Kindly
Duncan Harland
ps Would it be appropriate to give you my email address or phone number? Please advise

#12 MaxFerrari13

MaxFerrari13

• 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 16:05

Hi Max,
So nice to hear your remarks on the various comments regarding your dad! I for one would like to know more of his Mille Miglia exploits and I have a few pics and stories of him from the karting days whiich I would like you to have. Please send my regards to your mum.
Yours Kindly
Duncan Harland
ps Would it be appropriate to give you my email address or phone number? Please advise

Hi Duncan, Mum sends her regards too! I will send you a message with my email address.

Apologies for the late response, I have been moving abroad and have not had an internet connection.

Thanks for the replies, it has been so nice to hear all the stories about Dad. He was certainly a character and made a big impression on many people!
Dad competed in Mille Miglia in 1956 & 1957, in an AC Ace and a Lotus Eleven. I believe he may have been the only person to compete in the MM in an AC Ace, as we were recently contacted by an automotive historian who was trying to trace the car for a book he was writing. Amazingly, the car is still in one piece, now in Germany. The year he competed in the Lotus, another Eleven was being run by the Autosport Journalist, Gregor Grant. Having read the various accounts of the race, the two of them helped each other through scruitineering and during the race. By all accounts Grant started before Dad but was soon overtaken by him!
Unfortunately, Dad never managed to finish the race on either attempt, crashing in to a field one time, and launching off an unnoticed bridge the other and wrecking the suspension. One year he managed to get the car back to the UK by finding room on one of the company fruit lorries heading there!

#13 pru.net

pru.net

• 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 15:12

[quote name='MaxFerrari13' date='Apr 20 2010, 17:05' post='4306427']

... Amazingly, the car is still in one piece, now in Germany....

Hello Max,

There is an interesting question about the AC Ace wearing serial number AE 40 and therefore supposed to be your father Mille Miglia car.
As can be seen on this photo of the car entered by an Italian in the 2008 Mille Miglia storica clearly shows a short boot lid whereas AE 40 was most probably born with a long boot lid, the shorter version having not appeared until chassis +/- 250.
So what happened? Changed bodywork or ?

PS
No photo, I am sorry: I see provisions to insert everything except a photo... :rolleyes:

#14 1293Smk1

1293Smk1

• 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 23:41

Hi Max,
Yours Kindly
Duncan Harland

Hi Max,
I am trying to trace the story of the ex-Bruno Ferrari Eleven that made the Mille Miglia on 1956.
The information I was able to find is that it had a Climax FWA engine. It made it either a CLUB or a LE MANS car.
Would you be so kind to provide me some pictures of the car and proof of the configuration in case you agree?
I am an Italian FIVA scruteneer who's trying to help a group of British enthusiasts to enter their Elevens to the modern Mille Miglia.
It looks like that the current organizer hasn't so clear ideas about this iconic car....they mixed up a couple of things in their entry list!
Thank you in advance.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards,

Francesco

#15 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,342 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:42

I first came in contact with Bruno back in 1969 I believe it was, when I wrote to him with regards buying Parilla engine off him to race in New Zealand karting. Over time, I bought a number of engines and chassis from Bruno, and finally got to meet up with him in 1974 when I became the first kart driver from New Zealand to ever compete in an FIA World Championship, in Estoril in Portugal.

Bruno had also arranged for me to tour the IAME factory in Piacenza, lunch with Bruno Grano and arranged for loner engines from IAME in Estoril. I remember very clearly Estoril, Bruno had driven down in his Bentley I believe it was, complete with portable bar in the boot! I had made the switch from Deavinson Sprint chassis to Taifun from Munich and had spent weeks in Munich working with Taifun and had actually driven down to Estoril with Fritz Schofer's...........Taifun Karts..... dad.........which was another quite hilarious tale, as I spoke no German and he no English and it's an awful long way from Munich to Estoril!

Bruno was a wonderful soul, always helpful and honest, sometimes to the point of brutality, and after I moved to live in England and got out of karts and into racing cars, we kept in touch and I have fond memories of many an evening over at the house in Pinner, consuming many bottles of one of his favorite wines......Barbera. From time to time I got the bug to get into a kart again and Bruno always provided one for me to play with.

It saddened me to learn of his passing, a true friend. I live in Miami now, still in racing.
Gordon Friend

I too, bought my first kart engine from Bruno. I went to pick it up one evening from his house in Stanmore. The engine was in fact in his workshop, somewhere else in north London. He drove me there and in what I think was a souped up FIAT 131. I recall being mightily impressed by the racing speeds at which he drove through the tightly packed suburban streets. Particularly because I had only just passed my driving test. I henceforward tried to emulate his driving method for a good while - fortunately without killing anybody! Yes, he was good to deal with and gave some good advice. A great character to know.

#16 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 13:53

Hi Max,
I am trying to trace the story of the ex-Bruno Ferrari Eleven that made the Mille Miglia on 1956.
The information I was able to find is that it had a Climax FWA engine. It made it either a CLUB or a LE MANS car.
Would you be so kind to provide me some pictures of the car and proof of the configuration in case you agree?
I am an Italian FIVA scruteneer who's trying to help a group of British enthusiasts to enter their Elevens to the modern Mille Miglia.
It looks like that the current organizer hasn't so clear ideas about this iconic car....they mixed up a couple of things in their entry list!
Thank you in advance.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards,

Francesco

Francesco
Don't forget that Gregor Grant ran a Lotus 11 in the Mille Miglia (was it?) in 1957 just checked 1956

Edited by Sharman, 25 January 2011 - 13:57.

#17 nubenow

nubenow

• 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:11

Hey Max,

Not sure if you are still about, as the post is a few years old now?

I knew your dad very well and your Mum Karen, not so well, but was often at the house in Pinner.

I have now returned to live in New Zealand after over 39 years abroud.

You can get me on this email.............

.pridemotorsportsllc@aol.com

Gordon Friend