Alonso claims he will bring half a second to Ferrari

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Biggles Flies Undone

Biggles Flies Undone

• 388 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:16

My Spanish is a bit rusty but Alonso appears to be saying in the last line,
he will bring up to half a second to the team ? The editorial then says like at McLaren in 2007 !

http://www.marca.com...1263885169.html

He hasn't even driven the car yet !

Edited by Biggles Flies Undone, 20 January 2010 - 02:23.

Advertisement

#2 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:20

I'm begining to suspect that Fernando Alonso is actually a robot with a few pre-programmed responses. I can't wait until he is put in charge of the atomic clock, the single most accurate timekeping device in the world. Let's see him bring half a second to that ...

Edited by Captain Tightpants, 20 January 2010 - 02:22.

#3 ZenSpeed

ZenSpeed

• 1,192 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:22

Actually, the question was What can a great driver bring to a team? and he answered "About half a second". That doesn't mean he is the only great driver out there who can bring that speed advantage

Edited by ZenSpeed, 20 January 2010 - 02:22.

#4 ZenSpeed

ZenSpeed

• 1,192 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:23

I'm begining to suspect that Fernando Alonso is actually a robot with a few pre-programmed responses. I can't wait until he is put in charge of the atomic clock, the single most accurate timekeping device in the world. Let's see him bring half a second to that ...

did you actually read the article?

#5 Biggles Flies Undone

Biggles Flies Undone

• 388 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:27

Actually, the question was What can a great driver bring to a team? and he answered "About half a second". That doesn't mean he is the only great driver out there who can bring that speed advantage

So a great driver can bring half a second more than Kimi could, and Massa can manage ?

Edited by Biggles Flies Undone, 20 January 2010 - 02:33.

#6 niallmckiernan

niallmckiernan

• 346 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:27

I agree with ZenSpeed - He talks about a driver in general bringing up to half a second, he does not say his arrival at Ferrari will make them 0.5 secs quicker.

#7 sumpthy

sumpthy

• 290 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:29

A great driver can bring half a second, Fernando Alonso can bring six tenths.

#8 niallmckiernan

niallmckiernan

• 346 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:29

So a great driver can bring half a second more than Kimi and Massa ?

Maybe he considers them great and that they brought up to 0.5 secs

#9 ZenSpeed

ZenSpeed

• 1,192 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:32

So a great driver can bring half a second more than Kimi and Massa ?

Please, have the decency to read the article before commenting.

1) The question did not specify Ferrari. It was any team, in general.

2) he was asked what does a great driver bring to the team. He answered "1/2 a second".

Nowhere he said or implied more relative to Massa or the departed Kimi. In fact, he knows quite well how fast Massa is, they had memorable battles. However, I am pretty sure he believe he brings extra speed compared to the average driver, I am pretty sure Lewis and Vettel and Button would all agree with him. Of course, if you want to say he is not modest, you can do so by saying he is implying he is a great driver. I would argue he is, some might disagree. But nowhere he attempts to sate this as an ability limited to him only

Edited by ZenSpeed, 20 January 2010 - 02:35.

#10 niallmckiernan

niallmckiernan

• 346 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:38

2) he was asked what does a great driver bring to the team. He answered "1/2 a second".

Nowhere he said or implied more relative to Massa or the departed Kimi. In fact, he knows quite well how fast Massa is, they had memorable battles. However, I am pretty sure he believe he brings extra speed compared to the average driver, I am pretty sure Lewis and Vettel and Button would all agree with him. Of course, if you want to say he is not modest, you can do so by saying he is implying he is a great driver. I would argue he is, some might disagree. But nowhere he attempts to sate this as an ability limited to him only

:up:

The title of this thread is completely irrelevant and based on incorrect interpretation of an article my the OP. Please close

#11 Biggles Flies Undone

Biggles Flies Undone

• 388 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:44

The last paragraph is titled "El sueño de Ferrari" clearly it's related to Ferrari.

#12 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:48

does that make 6/10ths uber or hax ?

#13 Biggles Flies Undone

Biggles Flies Undone

• 388 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:48

:up:

The title of this thread is completely irrelevant and based on incorrect interpretation of an article my the OP. Please close

So, we are not allowed to discuss an Alonso interview :drunk:
There should however be a question mark in the title as I ask a question in the first post.

Edited by Biggles Flies Undone, 20 January 2010 - 02:52.

#14 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,351 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:22

The last paragraph is titled "El sueño de Ferrari" clearly it's related to Ferrari.

Lol... so what?
It means the dream of going to Ferrari.. after so much speculation.
You guys are too much.

He only replied a driver can help find up to 0,5 secs when being asked what a great driver could bring to a team.

Edited by Nitropower, 20 January 2010 - 03:25.

#15 WebBerK

WebBerK

• 831 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:40

:eek: I can't believe he did it again. :rolleyes:

Alonso doesn't read AtlasF1 for sure.

But Alonso seems to be depressed... he used to contribute with 0.6 sec in McLaren and now only 0.5 sec at Ferrari ?
A drop of almost 20% in performance :confused:

What Alonso says is absurd and only the spanish armada, the newcomers to F1 can believe it.

Does Alonso mean that if the car is running at 1min25sec, in a car already developed by Massa, he can find extra 0.5 sec over/beyond the Massa work ?
That's pretty desrespectful to Massa, IMO.

#16 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:51

He is becoming modest

#17 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:28

He's lost a .1sec :confused:

#18 Atticus

Atticus

• 41 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:52

So, we are not allowed to discuss an Alonso interview :drunk:
There should however be a question mark in the title as I ask a question in the first post.

Actually Alonso interviews are always welcome. This one especially would have been a great topic if the title was not such an obvious flamebait and was is now evidently incorrect interpretation.
"Alonso says a great driver can bring 0.5sec to team" Now that would have been and can still be a topic worthy of the atlas boards of old, and heck it still has enough room for the odd "where did the 0.1 go?" joke.

#19 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:12

At least hes not claiming he alone is responsible for the upgrades on his car, like Blewis.

Blewis - Designer, Cheif Technical Officer, Team manager, Liar.... Is their anything he cant do??

Drive a decent season would be a start.

Advertisement

#20 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:47

Alonso doesn't read AtlasF1 for sure.

No one does.

#21 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 440 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:59

The article is a transcription of the chat session on Ferrari website last monday

NOT an interview

it reads in the final paragraph

“¿Y cuánto puede aportar un gran piloto al equipo?”, le preguntaron. “Hasta medio segundo”, confesó. Ya lo hizo en McLaren en 2007.

chat user:
- how much can give a great driver to the team?
FA:
- up to 1/2 second

He did it at McLaren, Marca writes.

IMO it's easy to start bashing FA again, it is up to you, but I think it not fair in this matter. It's just a general comment about how a good driver, any good driver, can do in a team.

Easy, please

#22 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:02

OP misunderstood the linked article, the thread has nothing to do with the correct interpretation.