Photo

De La Rosa

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:34

I think he deserves his own thread already :kiss: , I've collected pics from 1997, the year he won the F3000 from Japan.

http://img705.images.../tm0119jy35.jpg
http://img8.imagesha...start970704.jpg
http://img718.images.../5566/rosa6.jpg
http://img718.images.../8350/rosa5.jpg
http://img51.imagesh...1852/rosa3c.jpg
http://img191.images...5022/rosa2r.jpg
http://img191.images...1/9312/prbb.jpg
http://img59.imagesh...50/48416761.jpg
http://img191.images...fpon97lfwin.jpg
http://img716.images...delalosa001.jpg
http://img191.images...415/970820c.jpg
http://img51.imagesh...9fponpdmori.jpg
http://img191.images...39/97fpon05.jpg

Edited by AdamKOR, 22 January 2010 - 18:02.

Advertisement

#2 ff1600

ff1600

• 146 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:09

I like the guy. McLaren should have given a full time seat years ago.

#3 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,345 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:22

Well, back then he was 26... that's older than Hamilton, Rosberg and Vettel are today :x

#4 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:39

Good luck to the guy. He's stuck to his dream for decades and did well enough when he subbed in for JPM.

#5 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:35

All the best to Pedro, I hope he does well :up:

#6 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:04

He's keeping Santander as a personal sponsor (at Sauber) apparently.
Good luck to him anyway.

#7 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:10

I think he deserves his own thread already :kiss: , I've collected pics from 1997, the year he won the F3 from Japan.

Did he do Formula Nippon as well or just the odd round? I can't remember.

#8 petercar41

petercar41

• 76 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:42

Did he do Formula Nippon as well or just the odd round? I can't remember.

Professional career
In 1990, de le Rosa joined the Spanish Formula Ford 1600 and became champion. He also joined the British Formula Renault 1600 and got two podiums out of six races. In 1991, de la Rosa achieved fourth place in the Spanish Formula Renault Championship with three podium finishes. In 1992 he won both the European and British Formula Renault. However, he slipped down the order in the next two years. In 1995, he was champion of the Japanese Formula 3 series and third in the Macau Grand Prix. In 1996, he finished 8th in both the Formula Nippon F3000 and All Japan GT Championship. The next year he was champion of the Formula Nippon F3000. He was also the Japan All GT Champion.................

#9 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:54

Professional career
In 1990, de le Rosa joined the Spanish Formula Ford 1600 and became champion. He also joined the British Formula Renault 1600 and got two podiums out of six races. In 1991, de la Rosa achieved fourth place in the Spanish Formula Renault Championship with three podium finishes. In 1992 he won both the European and British Formula Renault. However, he slipped down the order in the next two years. In 1995, he was champion of the Japanese Formula 3 series and third in the Macau Grand Prix. In 1996, he finished 8th in both the Formula Nippon F3000 and All Japan GT Championship. The next year he was champion of the Formula Nippon F3000. He was also the Japan All GT Champion.................

Ah, that makes sense now. I remembered him doing Japanese F3 but didn't remember him winning Formula Nippon.

#10 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:00

I think De la Rosa is set to become the new Luca Badoer.

#11 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:01

At least de la Rosa will get some testing. Poor old Luca didn't get any. And he had a longer break from F1.

#12 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:01

Circumstances are quite different.
I think he will actually deliver a few nice drives at the beginning, but his strength will then slowly fade.

#13 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:29

Good luck to him, but I can't help thinking that he will be slower than his much younger team mate.

#14 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,845 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:33

He made a good thing happen late in his career. Good on him. Good luck. He may need it.

Edited by jcbc3, 22 January 2010 - 12:34.

#15 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:36

I really hope it's not that bad.

I don't think he'll be terrible, just quite average like during the rest of his career.

Nice chap though, but as Heikki Kovalainen knows, that only takes you so far.

#16 busso

busso

• 10 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:49

good for pedro :clap: :clap: :clap:

the new luca badoer???? ask lewis :rotfl:

#17 Korben82

Korben82

• 184 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 13:25

Good luck to him, but I can't help thinking that he will be slower than his much younger team mate.

I think Kobayashi will be faster on raw pace, but he'll be reckless and very prone to errors. Pedro should be much more consistent and have better race pace.

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough :cat:

#18 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 13:26

Great for Pedro, good to see him get a race seat after all this time. He has to be slower than Kovy, McLaren had plenty of data, but he was always quicker than Paffett. I imagine his job is to be Uncle Pedro to Kamui, which he should be very good at.

#19 Empy

Empy

• 119 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 13:34

BTW is he popular in Spain?
I know Alonso is massive popular over there and until his advent F1 had not been so big.

Advertisement

#20 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 14:11

I know Alonso is massive popular over there and until his advent F1 had not been so big.

yes mate, this guy is a legend already...2nd best spanish ever in f1 history and the best commentator ever...it's gonna be a huge loss for la sexta and spectators but it's utterly worthy it, this guy is loved in spain and this is the best way to end up his racing career in f1...that's was all he asked, be able to race one season...go for it pedro!!! :clap:

#21 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 14:14

2nd best spanish ever in f1 history

What about Alfonso de Portago?

#22 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 14:29

Circumstances are quite different.
I think he will actually deliver a few nice drives at the beginning, but his strength will then slowly fade.

A lot of people talk about his drive in Bahrain in 2005 as a pointer to what he's capable of.

You have to remember though, he was properly wild in that race, with a car that was an utter missile.

In 2006 he got pretty convincingly annihilated by Raikkonen. And that was a Raikkonen by that stage of the year whose heart really wasn't in it either.

I think De la Rosa is a good technical brain, but he's a bit of a chump when it comes to out and out speed. I expect Kobi to utterly destroy him (and a few of his own cars while he's at it).

If De la Rosa is the new Badoer, Kobi is the new Massa.

#23 Bouncing Pink Ball

Bouncing Pink Ball

• 758 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 14:44

I think it's good that Pedro has a full time race seat. Most folks would have given up years ago, whereas he's kept on working away as a test driver, always hoping for another seat to come available. For those concerned that he's taking a spot needlessly, if he can't bring the results Sauber want, he'll be replaced. He knows that, I'm sure, but I bet he's going to give his all to make good on his second chance. He's got testing time to reacquaint himself with the cars; I don't expect him to come out as a superstar, but he should be a mid pack driver who can give useful feedback. Sauber took on last season's darling, Kobayashi, so no one can complain that the team isn't giving a chance to a hyped newcomer as well.

That said, I can't believe for a moment that Pedro doesn't have some financial help – a sponsor-paid salary at minimum - considering his age and time away from actual racing. All the best to him anyway; he's obviously been an excellent development driver, (else McLaren wouldn't have held onto him for so long), which can worth lots to a team wanting to re-establish itself. Besides, his return is just a really nice story, him seeming such a likable guy and all.

#24 Patriot

Patriot

• 113 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 14:46

+1

#25 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 14:56

I think he was a good choice for Sauber. NH would have given the team no new input, while Pedro will know a few things from McLaren that will be of use. He will be able to compare the Sauber to the last McLaren. He will be the perfect guy to teach Kobayashi to set-up a F1 car.

#26 RaymondMays

RaymondMays

• 205 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 14:56

I though De La Rosa had some outstanding drives in the Orange Arrows, before that team started to decline. The Jaguar wasn't a car that allowed him to further his career. His McLaren outings were some of the most entertaining drives I've watched and I'm sure the lairiness will disappear with a few races back under his belt.

Good luck Pedro - I hope the Sauber is a decent car.

#27 Stuko

Stuko

• 565 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 15:03

Nippon Ichi is back :clap:

#28 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,030 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 15:25

I really expected Heidfeld to get that seat, can't imagine that they would chose Pedro instead based on merit alone.

Edited by Lennat, 22 January 2010 - 15:26.

#29 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 16:01

Actually I bet that he may be the most liked F1 driver in Spain as a person... Many Spaniards first contact with F1 was with De La Rosa. They came back when Alonso showed up, but Pedro introduced F1 to a lot of Spaniards.

#30 busso

busso

• 10 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 16:04

I really expected Heidfeld to get that seat, can't imagine that they would chose Pedro instead based on merit alone.

heidfeld is the most boring I've ever seen
:clap: GO PEDRO :clap:

#31 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 17:50

Like Badoer?, no way, Pedro is a F1 driver or tester if you want with a lot of real experience, Badoer not. I think he is going to do well, better than Barrichello and some other drivers outside the top 3 teams.

#32 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 18:03

I've edited my first post. It's the F3000 from Japan what he won, not the Japanese F3. I thought the Formula Nippon was the F3 :blush:

#33 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 18:08

Nice guy, I'll cheer if he does well, but I fear he's too slow. No doubt his feedback will be valuable to a new team. :up:

#34 Robert72

Robert72

• 20 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 18:56

Don't underestimate PDLR, if he has a fast car, he'll enjoy us with lots of overtakings and maybe some podiums. We'll see.

#35 GoShow

GoShow

• 43 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 19:57

I doubt that De La Rosa still has his racecraft after all those years testing. If he still has what it takes to pull out overtaking moves he really surprises me.

#36 busso

busso

• 10 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 20:10

I doubt that De La Rosa still has his racecraft after all those years testing. If he still has what it takes to pull out overtaking moves he really surprises me.

remember barhain 2005 after three years testing. or better ask jenson, takuma, rubens , mark and giancarlo

#37 Zanini

Zanini

• 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:06

I've edited my first post. It's the F3000 from Japan what he won, not the Japanese F3. I thought the Formula Nippon was the F3 :blush:

He won both actually.

#38 NadsatII

NadsatII

• 236 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:17

He's a legend here in Spain. The fact that most of people here hate Hamilton -no racism and all that **** intended, as British press tried to create against the Spanish fans- is because the 2007 season would have been a dream with Alonso and De la Rosa as team-mates in McLaren fighting together and winning race after race. The decission of giving Hamilton the second car in McLaren instead De la Rosa was not understood in Spain. And when Hamilton started to trigger investigations against Alonso and all that was like a huge "WHAT???????????" here.

The hope of the fans now is that both Alonso and De la Rosa can win and De la Rosa could have his revenge against all those ones who never trusted in him.

To understand that, you only need to visit his forum in his web-page pedrodelarosa.com. One of the best and smartests forums about F1 in the world. You can find there his fisio, experts on F1, F1 drivers, fans et all. Not a single insult is allowed there. Fans always talk in the most respectful way towards all drivers.

#39 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:21

The decission of giving Hamilton the second car in McLaren instead De la Rosa was not understood in Spain.

You'd think they'd have worked it out about twenty minutes into the first practice session of the season ...

Advertisement

#40 NadsatII

NadsatII

• 236 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:28

You'd think they'd have worked it out about twenty minutes into the first practice session of the season ...

Just think that an Alonso-De la Rosa team would have been: McLaren World Champion Constructor, Alonso World Champion, De la Rosa probably sub-champion.

Instead that, you have that in 2007 McLaren, being the best team, got... nothing.

#41 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:39

Just think that an Alonso-De la Rosa team would have been: McLaren World Champion Constructor, Alonso World Champion, De la Rosa probably sub-champion.

Instead that, you have that in 2007 McLaren, being the best team, got... nothing.

Without Alonso, Hamilton would have won the championship.

#42 NadsatII

NadsatII

• 236 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:50

Without Alonso, Hamilton would have won the championship.

Yeah, the guy who recognized that he copied all Alonso set-ups before every race...

And, if you're so sure of that, why hiring Alonso for McLaren then?

And more:

Question: "Your worst moment in F1?, Something that you could erase of your memory?"
Alonso: "My year in McLaren"

#43 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:51

Well you have to separate the choice between Hamilton and de la Rosa from the other things. Hamilton was obviously the correct choice, for the team. And 2007 would have been won in several different scenarios, one of which is if they had never hired Fernando :eek: .

Wanting a Spanish pair irrespective of talent is really extreme nationalism. In the context of recent history and the effect of the Franco decades then it's understandable, but you can't expect anyone else to agree with you. Very greedy :p

You should just be grateful to have one talent like Alonso, Pedro and Jaime are a bonus :)

#44 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:54

I think that's crediting de la Rosa with too much. Hamilton is a far better driver. I have nothing against the Spanish as a whole (though I do have issues with some of their reporting), but it's not every Spanish driver's right to a World Championship before all other drivers. A lot of Spanish drivers - Andy Soucek in particular - seem to think that way.

#45 NadsatII

NadsatII

• 236 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:05

Well you have to separate the choice between Hamilton and de la Rosa from the other things. Hamilton was obviously the correct choice, for the team. And 2007 would have been won in several different scenarios, one of which is if they had never hired Fernando :eek: .

Wanting a Spanish pair irrespective of talent is really extreme nationalism. In the context of recent history and the effect of the Franco decades then it's understandable, but you can't expect anyone else to agree with you. Very greedy :p

You should just be grateful to have one talent like Alonso, Pedro and Jaime are a bonus :)

What? Extreme nationalism?????

I meant both Alonso and De la Rosa are, in the same way, drivers AND test drivers. They knew how to develope a car and what they wanted from a car. They weren't fighting each other and they both are really competitives.

What Franco has to do with this? Franco died 35 years ago, for Godsake! It sounds as weird as a Spaniard describing English people having in mind Henry the Eight or something like that. You should visit Spain. It is really laughable the way some people take some prejudices as a whole true... :stoned:

#46 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:23

Me thinks Pedro has been hired by Sauber so that he can divulge the inner workings of Macca! C'mon lets face it,if he really was any good Maclaren would have drafted him in 2007 or 2008 no?

#47 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:29

Yeah, the guy who recognized that he copied all Alonso set-ups before every race...

Myth.

#48 NadsatII

NadsatII

• 236 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:47

Myth.

Check it out for yourself:

#49 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:53

Yes, Hamilton has really held Mclaren back these past years.

Stuffed up 2007 when he started spitting the dummy, made a meal of 2008 when he was in the fastest car by some margin.

Developed a poor car for 2009, and when the engineers and Heikki fixed his mistakes, couldnt take many wins after germany when he had a dominant car, plus all the lieing and bigging himself up to the detriment of the team.

#50 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:07

What? Extreme nationalism?????

I meant both Alonso and De la Rosa are, in the same way, drivers AND test drivers. They knew how to develope a car and what they wanted from a car. They weren't fighting each other and they both are really competitives.

What Franco has to do with this? Franco died 35 years ago, for Godsake! It sounds as weird as a Spaniard describing English people having in mind Henry the Eight or something like that. You should visit Spain. It is really laughable the way some people take some prejudices as a whole true... :stoned:

Pedro was slower than Lewis, that's why he was hired as the test driver and not the race driver. It's a sport about speed.

Franco set Spain back in the same way that a totalitarian regime set half of Germany back - in 4 decades the same people went from making Mercs and BMW's in the democratic half to making Trabants in the totalitarian half. That takes a long time to recover from.

That affects national self-confidence, obviously, and we see even on here that the more confident nations are less desperate about their success in F1.

And for sure it's completely desperate to be hating Hamilton because you didn't have TWO Spaniards racing at McLaren :p