Photo

Tires 2010

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rick711

Rick711

• 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 22:32

I'd like a rule change for 2010, please!

If you can't refuel, why stop? Are they going to keep the "must use both compounds" rule (and are they going to still qually on race fuel, which would be - full tanks?)? I hope not.

I'd like the teams to have free choice of tire compounds with no requirement to change. The dry tires should be a hard (suitable for non-stop), medium, soft (suitable for half distance) and supersoft (for short stints). The hard should be something like .3 seconds a lap slower than the soft, so that both non-stop and 1 stop strategies can work.

As far as Qually goes, I assume that they'll go to low fuel for Q3. If so, how about bringing back the morning warmup (sells a lot of beer)?

Advertisement

#2 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 23:04

I'd like a rule change for 2010, please!

If you can't refuel, why stop? Are they going to keep the "must use both compounds" rule (and are they going to still qually on race fuel, which would be - full tanks?)? I hope not.

I'd like the teams to have free choice of tire compounds with no requirement to change. The dry tires should be a hard (suitable for non-stop), medium, soft (suitable for half distance) and supersoft (for short stints). The hard should be something like .3 seconds a lap slower than the soft, so that both non-stop and 1 stop strategies can work.

As far as Qually goes, I assume that they'll go to low fuel for Q3. If so, how about bringing back the morning warmup (sells a lot of beer)?

:up:

Compound 1: whole race

Compound 2: Super soft - 2s faster for 5-10 laps then more and more slower than compound 1 with more laps

#3 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 23:16

Hey Rick, let me know if you want me to correct the spelling in the title ;)

I think they should be allowed stops and a selection of tyres so maybe one team will go two stops on supersofts and another zero stops on hards. The strategy calls will still be there as well as some pitstop action for those who like it.

#4 Jay101

Jay101

• 649 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:11

Hey Rick, let me know if you want me to correct the spelling in the title ;)

I think they should be allowed stops and a selection of tyres so maybe one team will go two stops on supersofts and another zero stops on hards. The strategy calls will still be there as well as some pitstop action for those who like it.

Quite agree I perfer the 80s and early 90s when there was a freedom of choice of different compounds, back then you saw totally different stratergies that suited different drivers and talents, much better than the everyone does the same stratergy that F1 seems to be turning into.

#5 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:16

For tyres I would suggest we have 3 compounds - for simplification we'll call them Soft, Medium, Hard. On the Saturday they've got two sets of each. By 12am Saturday they've got to go for one compound for the remainder of the weekend.

However, Bridgestone have to make sure that the performances of the tyres are variable. Perhaps not to the level of Australia 09, but so that say softs are only really hold on for 20-30% of the race, mediums 40-50% of the race and hards say 70-80%, but if treated right you could make them last the whole race on occasion. You are given 5 sets, plus the 2 sets of that tyre you used on the Friday to complete the weekend.

Their should also be a pace advantage for going soft, but I'm sure certain tracks would throw anomalies up.

I'm also trying to workout whether it would be worthwhile closing the pits in the SC situation now no refueling takes place and therefore nobody "needs" to stop.

What I said in another thread about how I think it should done.

#6 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:26

Are they going to keep the "must use both compounds" rule (and are they going to still qually on race fuel, which would be - full tanks?)?

They are qualifying on empty tanks, but rather than scrap the "must use both compounds" tule, the latest rumour is that at least two stops will be compulsary :mad: