Photo

STR: How well will they do without a Newey?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: STR relative positioning (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Will they be...

1. Dead last (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

2. Amongst the new teams - a backmarker (10 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Last of the established team, but in front of the rookies (24 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

4. Midfield (4 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:12

It's the first year since they were bought by Red Bull that they will have to design their own car. They didn't do too badly since they were able to rely on red bull designs, but this year they'll have to design their own one.

One can argue that they were rubbish when the were Minardi, Midland, etc. But that, I suspect, was a consequence of funding, not talent. How do you think they'll measure up? I suspect they'll still be at the rear. Perhaps just in front of the new teams.

EDIT: Oh yes, I didn't include a front runner choice, because, well, they wont be one.

Edited by KiloWatt, 27 January 2010 - 10:13.

Advertisement

#2 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:14

It's the first year since they were bought by Red Bull that they will have to design their own car. They didn't do too badly since they were able to rely on red bull designs, but this year they'll have to design their own one.

One can argue that they were rubbish when the were Minardi, Midland, etc. But that, I suspect, was a consequence of funding, not talent. How do you think they'll measure up? I suspect they'll still be at the rear. Perhaps just in front of the new teams.

EDIT: Oh yes, I didn't include a front runner choice, because, well, they wont be one.

Last of the established teams I think. Most have made great steps forward last year, I don't see STR gaining up on them. Yet I don't see the new teams (not Sauber) doing anywhere as well as STR.

#3 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:14

Dead last. They were already there with Newey's help ... I shudder to think how they'll be without.

#4 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:18

When were they Midland etc.? As far as I remember they were always Minardi, albeit under different owners, until RB bought them.

#5 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:20

When were they Midland etc.? As far as I remember they were always Minardi, albeit under different owners, until RB bought them.

I think it was Jordan who got sold to Midland/Spyker/etc.

#6 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:22

Well, first of all they have the 09 car to build on. It was the quickest car on the grid. The way I see it is that they will just do what Sauber did in 2004, and simply copy the RB5 and go from there.

They do have the addvantage of the new teams in that they have a fully constructed, working, running, QUICK car sitting in their garage. They wont be stuck for idea's ;-)!

#7 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:28

I don't think they'll do as badly as some folk probably do. This year's cars are more evolutionary than revolutionary, so some of last year's redeeming features can be brought across to the STR5, so they should probably star off ok. It will be interesting come mid-season where they stand though. Will they be able to keep up in the development race etc?

#8 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:53

Dead last. They were already there with Newey's help ... I shudder to think how they'll be without.

I concur. They might be even amongst the likes of Lotus and Virgin at the beginning of the year.

Unless they nick his ideas but that didn't work for Williams in 1998 now did it?

#9 Nuvol

Nuvol

• 654 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:59

last time I checked Newey won a constructor title in 98. Dont make him a GOD :drunk:

#10 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:12

last time I checked Newey won a constructor title in 98. Dont make him a GOD :drunk:

Nah, it's not like he designed the fastest, non-DDD car, which then became the quickest from Silverstone onwards last year is it? Oh, hold on!

#11 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:14

Nah, it's not like he designed the fastest, non-DDD car, which then became the quickest from Silverstone onwards last year is it? Oh, hold on!

It didn't exactly work well for the STR guys did it?

#12 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:15

It didn't exactly work well for the STR guys did it?

I don't think F1 cars have evolved to the stage that they actually drive themselves yet?

#13 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:31

I don't think F1 cars have evolved to the stage that they actually drive themselves yet?

You would have though Buemi could have got at least few decent races out of it though when Red Bull were winning races, he spent most of the year outside the top 10.

#14 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:34

You would have though Buemi could have got at least few decent races out of it though when Red Bull were winning races, he spent most of the year outside the top 10.

Toro Rosso were always behind their parent team in the development race though. Towards the end of the year Buemi demonstrated the team's late-season pace by fighting for top times in qualifying and cruising through to Q3.

#15 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:35

I think midfielders. They might even do better without Newey, as it's now just build in-house.

#16 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:36

RedBull concentrated heavily on the works team. They admitted STR were not on the top of the priorities list ;-)!

#17 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:39

Yeah, because he went to McLaren. Williams used a 1997-evolution. A car based upon Newey's concepts and it started the decline of the great Williams and they've yet to fully recover to those heights. I'm saying if STR do something similar, results are not guaranteed. And if they start from scratch, results are even further from guaranteed.