Singapore joins Silverstone and Bahrain in the "Let's change it!" club

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 23:22

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/81107

It won't be until 2011, but proposed changes would see the cars go around the outside of the War Memorial instead of inside it, and -more importantly - the removal of the constant chicanes along the waterfront.

Current circuit

What the proposed changes might look like

Thank the stars.

Advertisement

#2 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 23:37

That would be good actually. The last corner would be amazing.

#3 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 23:44

That would definitely be a very good change (we'd win a better overtaking place and a good corner made even better), but unfortunately I doubt they'd make that last corner stay like that because it wouldn't have enough run-off.

#4 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 23:49

why cant that change be for this year :( that is alot better, going off the map :)

#5 Muzzinho

Muzzinho

• 385 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 23:50

Any chance of Valencia being changed now

#6 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 940 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 23:51

Massive improvement. Higher speeds followed by longer braking areas will increase passing opportunities noticibly. Exactly the opposite modification to the addition of corners at Bahrain. Whoever did this is the Anti-Tilke. I've got to praise him like I should.

#7 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 23:53

:rotfl: at the URL, pedometer. A meter to measure a pedophile?

#8 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 00:13

It's a valid word.

Main Entry: pe·dom·e·ter
Pronunciation: \pi-ˈdä-mə-tər\
Function: noun
Etymology: French pédomètre, from Latin ped-, pes foot + French -mètre -meter — more at foot
Date: 1723
: an instrument usually in watch form that records the distance a person covers on foot by responding to the body motion at each step

I like the looks of the new track map, especially simplifying the chicanefest.

#9 Xaus

Xaus

• 602 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 00:19

uh, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedometer

It's something that measures your steps/walking.

Anyway, this is good! I thought that left-right-left chicane was just stupid.

#10 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 00:29

That would definitely be a very good change (we'd win a better overtaking place and a good corner made even better), but unfortunately I doubt they'd make that last corner stay like that because it wouldn't have enough run-off.

I'm going to gamble (maybe foolishly) and say they may tighten up the last corner to something approaching 90 degrees, as I'm not convinced that despite the extra speed heading into it, with the way the final 2 corners are, that it'd increase overtaking in that specific area unless it was tightened up so they actually had half a chance of passing while underbraking into the last corner. Just a gamble guess though.

Edited by stevvy1986, 29 January 2010 - 00:31.

#11 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 00:29

why cant that change be for this year :( that is alot better, going off the map :)

They'd probably need planning approval, and then they'd need to design an alternative route, particularly along the waterfront; Raffles Avenue does not lead straight to the final bend, there would have to be some kind of corner in there. And, of course, the changes would need to be homologated by the FIA. It's not like they're doing a Silverstone or Bahrain and keeping the old route. All of that will take time, and there is no guarantee that it will be approved in time. I'd rather that we have one more boring race at Singapore if it means getting the section done the right way as opposed to rushing it and screwing it up for he sake of having the changes now. But if they got approval early on, we might be in luck.

Anyway, this is good! I thought that left-right-left chicane was just stupid.

They did it for the novelty value of going under a grandstand. The novelty wore off pretty quickly.

#12 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:35

The proposed circuit looks much better imo. Hope this happens.

#13 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,359 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:51

Looks nice.

With Singapore improved we have just Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Valenica, Barcelona, Shanghai and maybe Budapest left to improve :p

Edited by r4mses, 29 January 2010 - 01:52.

#14 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:53

The proposed circuit looks much better imo. Hope this happens.

It's really just my interpretation. I wouldn't mind if they kept two of those corners along the waterfront in place - in fact, I'm execting them to do so - just so long as it's faster. If it comes down to it, I'd prefer they keep Piquet's corner and the turn immediately before it (turns sixteen and seventeen), but I suspect they'll keep the last two in the sequence to slow the cars down for the final bend and reduce the number of changes they have to make. That's not actually as bad as it sounds, because those two bends are probably the fastest of the six through that section.

#15 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:03

Finally, a positive track change. We need to get rid of the slow boring corners of F1, we want fast and flowing tracks and so do the drivers.

#16 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:13

You can't have "fast and flowing" circuits for every race of the year. Sometimes you need the point and squirt stuff as well. You need a variety of circuits, not just twenty Spas.

#17 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:20

It's really just my interpretation. I wouldn't mind if they kept two of those corners along the waterfront in place - in fact, I'm execting them to do so - just so long as it's faster. If it comes down to it, I'd prefer they keep Piquet's corner and the turn immediately before it (turns sixteen and seventeen), but I suspect they'll keep the last two in the sequence to slow the cars down for the final bend and reduce the number of changes they have to make. That's not actually as bad as it sounds, because those two bends are probably the fastest of the six through that section.

Don't think they would think of keeping Piquet's corner, if just to help abolish the memory of that incident and stop it keep getting mentioned at every Singapore GP.

Don't mind the idea of keeping the last 2 of those 6 corners, but maybe streamline them a bit ala Tabac and then make the 2nd to last corner tighter and a bit more of an overtaking zone. They could also improve the pitlane entry again. Still not convinced it's that safe. Same with the pitlane exit. Surely, an exit between turns 3 and 4 would be best?

#18 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:54

Surely, an exit between turns 3 and 4 would be best?

It drops the cars on the outside of turn two, doesn't it? That's pretty safe, because it's way off the racing line. The ony danger would come from someone screwing up the exit of the first turn and cannoning into the pit lane, but that danger always exists because the pit lane needs to re-join somewhere. And between turns three and four would be even worse because you'd be depositing the cars into the inside of a double-apex bend. If you took the exit down to turns four and five, the pit exit would simply be too long.

#19 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:28

Anything that makes that circuit faster is welcome in my opinion :up: I have never understood what the bus-stop section was good for, and removing the unnecessary chicane would be great news as well. I don't think it'd improbve overtaking, but at least the cars will go quicker, and that's something to sherish :clap:

Advertisement

#20 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,557 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:38

My understanding when I read the article was that they'd remove the 16-17-18-19 sequence (Piquet corner and the one under the grandstand) and keep the 20-21 chicane before the last corner.

I hope they find a way of removing the horrible little turn 10 chicane though.

#21 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 19:50

It drops the cars on the outside of turn two, doesn't it? That's pretty safe, because it's way off the racing line. The only danger would come from someone screwing up the exit of the first turn and cannoning into the pit lane, but that danger always exists because the pit lane needs to re-join somewhere. And between turns three and four would be even worse because you'd be depositing the cars into the inside of a double-apex bend. If you took the exit down to turns four and five, the pit exit would simply be too long.

Yeah, it's not bad, but it's tightened up turn 1 and 2 stopping some daredevil overtaking. I'm suggested moving the pitlane over slightly in turns 1 and 2 and the pit lane exit would be out of turn 3, so the cars coming out of the pit lane are accelerating at the same time as the cars coming out of turn 3 effectively creating a drag race down to turn 5. However, the cars coming out of turn 3 on the outside will probably always win that drag race. Turn 3 will probably have to be moved back to accommodate this too. Hope i've explained that properly.

#22 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 21:09

I like this I think some circuits should run on different configurations every year like Bahrain could switch between the 'Endurance', 'Grand Prix' and 'Perimeter' lay-outs. With Valencia you could improve it with the use of a Bulldozer, no doubt, or 'for sure' as F1 folk would say.

#23 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 21:29

That would be good actually. The last corner would be amazing.

Looks like Monza... er...

#24 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 21:51

What about going under the stadium and the Singapore Slinger is a classic corner.

Edited by THE "driverider", 29 January 2010 - 21:52.

#25 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 22:15

Bahrain has changed for the sake of change, but Silverstone has changed for a reason. Holding a Moto GP race isn't the same as a country club event, and in the end we might even get a better track.

I don't mind Singapore being slow, bumpy and hard on the drivers. Sometimes it's nice to take them out of their comfort zones. But the proposed changes do look good, I just hope it doesn't become something like Valencia with lots of acceleration but zero overtaking.

#26 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 23:17

What about going under the stadium and the Singapore Slinger is a classic corner.

What stadium? There are no stadiums near the circuit. Or are you referring to the part where the cars go under the grandstand? If so, that section needs to go and it's what the organisers are considerig changing: that section along the waterfront is nothing more than a series of pointless stop-start chicanes that serve no pupose.

#27 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:42

Any chance of Valencia being changed now

Yes - "changed" as in removed from the calendar  ;)

#28 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:57

Yes - "changed" as in removed from the calendar ;)

Valencia has the makings of a good circuit. It just needs all the chicanes to be removed. Make it flat from the start line to just after the bridge, then down to turn seventeen. Make all the corners in the final sector actual corners, and adjust the final bend to be a double-apex.

#29 Demo.

Demo.

• 1,205 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:49

Finally, a positive track change. We need to get rid of the slow boring corners of F1, we want fast and flowing tracks and so do the drivers.

sounds like, looks like, perhaps you should go watch nascar sounds like it is what you want from F1