Photo

Vitaly Petrov thread (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1188 replies to this topic

#101 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 18:15

I think Petrov did very well. His best time just tenth behind Button, which is good for a guy who never sit in F1 car before.

Edited by Baddoer, 03 February 2010 - 18:16.

Advertisement

#102 PompousJester

PompousJester

• 189 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 18:19

I think Petrov did very well. His best time just tenth behind Button, which is good for a guy who never sit in F1 car before.

Indeed. And better than other newcomer - Hulkenberg.

#103 TheF1PERSON

TheF1PERSON

• 552 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 20:00

Indeed. And better than other newcomer - Hulkenberg.

And it's ironic that it was Hulk who beat Petrov to first in GP2, yet here is Petrov ahead.

#104 PompousJester

PompousJester

• 189 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 20:09

And it's ironic that it was Hulk who beat Petrov to first in GP2, yet here is Petrov ahead.

Yep, it will be great rivalry between Vitaly and Nico. I can't wait to follow them both on the Gran Prix.

#105 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,391 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 20:20

Times are meaningless. He's got the job already. So his stress level was on different planet than let's say Kubica's was when latter was given four hours in cold weather against Frank Montagny going side by side as a benchmark. To make or break possible F1 hopes...

Yet there is nothing against Vitaly. He did not damage car, did good number of laps and brought his times lower and lower. The guy finished second in GP2, so it's not like was asked to learn Chineese in one day. He knows how powerful single seater feels.

#106 TheF1PERSON

TheF1PERSON

• 552 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 20:58

Times are meaningless. He's got the job already. So his stress level was on different planet than let's say Kubica's was when latter was given four hours in cold weather against Frank Montagny going side by side as a benchmark. To make or break possible F1 hopes...

Yet there is nothing against Vitaly. He did not damage car, did good number of laps and brought his times lower and lower. The guy finished second in GP2, so it's not like was asked to learn Chineese in one day. He knows how powerful single seater feels.

Well Ho-Ping Tung is a test driver so if he wanted to learn Chinese....

#107 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 21:49

He'll certainly need more time in the car, but it was an excellent showing nevertheless.

#108 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,511 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 23:51

I don't find much irony in test times. Let's see what the races bring.

By the way, Petrov comes from Viipuri/Vyborg, which was a finnish city up to 1944. But then all finns had to abandon the city again, and today it's a russian city.. This has not much to do with Petrov, but anyway, another driver from the nearby.

Edited by Bianchimont, 04 February 2010 - 00:00.

#109 ZenSpeed

ZenSpeed

• 1,192 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 23:57

Well, considering that 1) my friends ARE from Colombia and know what the wheelings and dealings there and 2) it's almost a hard but still unconfirmed fact that the 1994 Colombian national football team was funded more by drug money than the actual government itself, I wouldn't write that off completely.

Not my fault you hanging around with idiots.

Hard but unconfirmed = bullshit

Also, many football players played for Medellin, the team in the city of the cartel, so yes, the played for a team owned by the Colombian mafia. Montoya raced for European and American teams. I fail to see the connection.

Edited by ZenSpeed, 04 February 2010 - 00:02.

#110 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 188 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:45

He'll certainly need more time in the car, but it was an excellent showing nevertheless.

Agreed, for less money Renault could have had PDLR. Surprisingly he was at the top of the time sheets. :clap:

#111 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:28

Agreed, for less money Renault could have had PDLR. Surprisingly he was at the top of the time sheets. :clap:

But was that the driver or the car? Sauber don't have sponsors, so it wouldn't be too difficult to run a car light, bolt on some super-soft rubber, send your drivers out for a fast time and get the attenion of the money-men.

I also find it very odd that you're agreeing with me that Petrov did well and still suggesting that de la Rosa would be a better choice. As far as we know, PdlR was never on Renault's list of drivers. And as Petrov only accounts fo 7% of Renault's budget, it's fairly plain that they're not esperate for the money.

#112 kr964

kr964

• 191 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:24

But was that the driver or the car? Sauber don't have sponsors, so it wouldn't be too difficult to run a car light, bolt on some super-soft rubber, send your drivers out for a fast time and get the attenion of the money-men.

I do not think the "money-men" would be that stupid and paid BIG $$$ only because the car seem to have good lap times in pre-season tests.
Trying to fool potential sponsors by hiding the real pace of the car could damage team's brand name and make it more difficult to get any serious investors in the future.

As of now, it looks like Sauber is about 0.5s /lap faster than Renault.
The positive thing for Petrov and Kubica is hope for better development pace during the next 4-5 weeks.

#113 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:00

I do not think the "money-men" would be that stupid and paid BIG $$$ only because the car seem to have good lap times in pre-season tests.
Trying to fool potential sponsors by hiding the real pace of the car could damage team's brand name and make it more difficult to get any serious investors in the future.

I don't think so at all. The cars will change a lot between now and Bahrain, and it's easy enough to write poor performance as the drivers feeling the pressure of qualifying.

As of now, it looks like Sauber is about 0.5s /lap faster than Renault.

We still don't know fuel loads or tyre compounds when any of the fast laps were set.

#114 slideways

slideways

• 3,268 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:20

And as Petrov only accounts fo 7% of Renault's budget, it's fairly plain that they're not esperate for the money.

Paying the 15 mil is still a considerable amount compared to Rosberg who I think earned 600 odd grand in his first year at Williams!

Does this mean Petrov is less skilled? Of course not, but he was one of the few guys who got to pick and choose his seat this year and it wasn't due to his talent. :)

#115 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:40

Paying the 15 mil is still a considerable amount compared to Rosberg who I think earned 600 odd grand in his first year at Williams!

Does this mean Petrov is less skilled? Of course not, but he was one of the few guys who got to pick and choose his seat this year and it wasn't due to his talent. :)

Petrov hardly got to pick and choose his seat, given that there were only three available when he signed to Renault. And he's said he doesn't have the millions he was rumoured to have - Aleksandr Petrov raised the money by selling off the family's real estate ownings. I can't imagine that anyone would have fifteen million in real estate lying around.

#116 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:01

It was testing.

The only meaningful thing was that he didn't write the car off. Other than that, wait for the first few races before calling anything excellent.

#117 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:12

I'd say not writing acar off qualifies as being excellent in its own way.

#118 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:31

Getting this back onto something resembling a topic, it seems Petrov's money only accounts for 7% of Renault's budget, so I think it's fairly safe to say they didn't need his cash after all. That said, he wants to bring more money in by attracting sponsors, but that's after the fact.

Firstly, I very much doubt the figures to be correct (7% and 15 mil). I highly doubt they will be spending 215 million this year. Therefore I think the percentage will be higher, if the 15M is correct.

Secondly, I have a job in finance and work with some projects that amount to the same range of budget as needed for running a F1 team. I can fairly say that if you see an opportunity to find 7% of your budget funded by an outside source, that apparently has no other financial demands, you would have to be insane not to do so. And it's definitely not the peanuts you seem to be making it out to be.

Even so I'm not underwhelmed by his performance in the test yesterday. It doesn't remind me of the paydrives from the nineties, which were absolutely horribly bad on track. But it's only a test, we know not what it means. We'll see by the start of the season how he will perform relative to Kubica.

#119 Galka

Galka

• 300 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:33

And he's said he doesn't have the millions he was rumoured to have - Aleksandr Petrov raised the money by selling off the family's real estate ownings. I can't imagine that anyone would have fifteen million in real estate lying around.

Not selling. He mortaged his real estate to the bank. Once Vitaly Petrov gets personal sponsors, this money would go for buying out his father's estate. Yet it looks like Vitaly has problems with that. If he doesn't find sponsors, the bank will have everything.
Petrov's father is the owner of Vyborg soccer club, so he must be a rich man, but I don't think his real estate can be worth 7 mln or 15 mln or whatever money was mentioned here.

Advertisement

#120 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:39

Not selling. He mortaged his real estate to the bank. Once Vitaly Petrov gets personal sponsors, this money would go for buying out his father's estate. Yet it looks like Vitaly has problems with that. If he doesn't find sponsors, the bank will have everything.

There's been the suggestion that Vladimir Putin could make companies sponsor the team; apparently that's how he does it with soccer sponsorship. Even without that "help", Petrov shouldn't have too much trouble finding sponsors as the testing season goes on if he proves to be fairly decent.

Petrov's father is the owner of Vyborg soccer club, so he must be a rich man, but I don't think his real estate can be worth 7 mln or 15 mln or whatever money was mentioned here.

Petrov denies that's how much he's bringing to the team, though. He says it isn't in the region of the ten to fillion million that was rumoured for him.

#121 Galka

Galka

• 300 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:47

There's been the suggestion that Vladimir Putin could make companies sponsor the team; apparently that's how he does it with soccer sponsorship. Even without that "help", Petrov shouldn't have too much trouble finding sponsors as the testing season goes on if he proves to be fairly decent.

Putin's administration has already refused to help in any way, because they think that motorracing is "unimportant" for the image of Russia. They are all over soccer and tennis, you know. In fact, motorsport is virtually non-existent in Russia on a serious level, it does not receive ANY sponsorship, either state, or private, and it is a miracle that KAMAZ managed to reach success in Dakar.

But you are right - as season progresses, Vitaly will definitely have some sponsors, like promoting engine oil on Russian TV. IF he gives a decent performance.

Edited by Galka, 04 February 2010 - 08:58.

#122 Ivanoff

Ivanoff

• 464 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:13

Hi, Galk :wave:

#123 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 19:12

Alexander Petrov: "Vitaly had offers from five teams and he took the best one, that's great. Yet, there is a downside in this situation. Me and two my senior colleagues and business partners feel a lot of financial pressure right now. For a long time we pushed Vitaly forward and now we have reached our main target. But unfortunately we still have no stable sponsor. I had to take a 7.5m loan at "Saint-Petersbourg bank" at 8 percent annual rate. In total, all expenses took 15 million euros." / MK-Petersburg.

#124 Suren

Suren

• 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 19:44

Thanks VoidNT.

What's interesting about what Alexander Petrov said is about the expenses. I wonder what expenses brought up the rate from 7.5m to 15m?

#125 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 19:59

In another interview Petrov's manager told they have to pay 'a bit less than 10 million dollars'. Which seems to be an equivalent of 7.5 million euros.

My guess is 7.5 million is for the first year, and 15m is a cost of 2-year deal.

#126 TenienteX

TenienteX

• 187 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 20:31

watched him quite abit in GP2, where he did get some decent results, finishing last years season on a good second place behind hulkenberg (or third, if unlucky grosjean wouldnt have taken the "offer" to replace piquet junior).

anyway, if a second place in F1s feeder-series isnt enough to justify a formula1 race-seat, what is? the attention gained on the russion market did help, though.

#127 KTA

KTA

• 12 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:30

Hi, Galk :wave:

Hi, DEN :wave:

#128 barteks

barteks

• 2,329 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:35

Petrov’s Renault Seat is Not 100% Secure:

http://willthef1jour...not-100-secure/

#129 peroa

peroa

• 8,927 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:38

Check is bouncy, bouncy ...

#130 Xaus

Xaus

• 602 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:39

Petrov’s Renault Seat is Not 100% Secure:

http://willthef1jour...not-100-secure/

uh, wow.

Maybe with Putin's urging or, uh, urging some companies will start coughing up the money. Man, you know, say what you will about Petrov but being so close to that dream, thinking you've finally made it regardless of HOW you made it and that you're living your dream only for it to be snatched away at the last second is just ****ing awful.

#131 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:46

I think Petrov deserves a seat, but the Will Buxton story shows the danger for pay drivers.

Should they not cough up with the money the team will drop them very fast.

We saw this with Giorgio Pantano at Jordan in 2004.

He had a couple of problems and was dumped.

#132 apoka

apoka

• 3,519 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:59

This must be the longest and craziest silly season ever. There are still question marks behind USF1, Campos, Stefan GP and Petrov a month before the first race ...

#133 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:00

Why is Petrov Snr. even talking to the media about this? There are still 3 weeks to go and telling everyone that the drive is not secured is not gonna make the search for sponsors easier, is it?

No wonder Klien is still optimistic...

#134 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:16

Why is Petrov Snr. even talking to the media about this? There are still 3 weeks to go and telling everyone that the drive is not secured is not gonna make the search for sponsors easier, is it?

I'd say that's the strategy.

He's appealing to the Russian business sector to back the country's first driver in F1.

I have to say, I'd always assumed the Russian state backed Petrov.

He normally drives with "Russia" on the visor strip of his helmet and IIRC the rear wing of his GP2 car.

#135 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:09

I'll wait for our Russian friends to bring some light on this case. I want to knew what Russian media saying about it.

#136 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:58

I'll wait for our Russian friends to bring some light on this case. I want to knew what Russian media saying about it.

The story is sourced from Russian media isn't it?

#137 Ringo

Ringo

• 201 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 13:03

The story is sourced from Russian media isn't it?

Indeed it is. Petrov's Dad doing an interview with one of Russia's sports newspapers I think. Their equivalent of Gazzetta dello Sport, perhaps?

#138 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 13:20

Indeed it is. Petrov's Dad doing an interview with one of Russia's sports newspapers I think. Their equivalent of Gazzetta dello Sport, perhaps?

Mr Petrov Snr seems to be quite a open and frank individual.

I can totally understand why he'd be baulking at parting with too much of his own coin to fund young Vitaly's racing.

After all, his name's Petrov, not Ambramovich.

#139 Galka

Galka

• 300 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 15:29

It is just a trick of Petrov's manager, who is trying to extract more money from Russian sponsors, who so far have been reluctant to invest in Vitaly.
You should not take that seriously.

Advertisement

#140 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 15:56

No one seems to have picked up on the story about from Buxton.

If there was a real chance of Petrov being dropped you'd think the drum would be banging a bit louder by now.

#141 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,880 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 15:59

First of all he wouldn't be in the car for two days in Jerez

#142 potmotr

potmotr

• 9,999 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 16:07

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

#143 Tract1on

Tract1on

• 330 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 16:16

It seems the shit has just hit the fan for Petrov. I would imagine this story will gain momentum over the next few days.

#144 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,767 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 16:33

There are now so many strange and contradicting stories and rumours... I always thought he had muuuuuch stronger backers.

#145 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,326 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 16:41

This is seriously puzzling. It's hard to imagine someone making shit in this manner (like, faking an entire interview?) but also I can't see why these kind of troubles would be make public, to draw attention to the problem so a helping hand would magically emerge? Seems either pointless or desperate. Petrov is scheduled to drive during the first 2 days in Jerez so let's see whether Renault puts him in the car, or even handles one of the days to Kubica.

#146 Tract1on

Tract1on

• 330 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 16:49

I wonder if Renault will drop Petrov if they dont get the money before the start of March?
I bet Renault are pissed with Willi Webber right now...
Hard to believe they didnt check all this out before signing him.

So.. do they drop him now before the start of the season and risk bad press, or do they wait a while and drop him due to poor performance?

If he does go i hope they hire JV. The man they should have hired in my opinion all along.

#147 Ringo

Ringo

• 201 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 17:32

Saward's just picked it up...

Joe Saward Blog

#148 wiry

wiry

• 158 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 18:15

Petrov's manager, Oksana Kosachenko denied these rumours and said that "Vitaly's seat at Renault is absolutely safe"
(infox.ru)

Edited by wiry, 08 February 2010 - 18:29.

#149 Gbain

Gbain

• 195 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 18:51

Well, what is she suppose to say?

#150 wiry

wiry

• 158 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 19:14

His management just issued a press release to deny the rumours that his Renault seat is in danger, saying that Vitaly definitely will drive for Renault in 2010 and he's preparing for the upcoming tests in Jerez.
http://www.f1news.ru...s/f1-55656.html
http://translate.goo...y...l=en&swap=1

Edited by wiry, 08 February 2010 - 19:21.