* * * - - 21 votes

Romain Grosjean

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1901 replies to this topic

#1 Liuggi

Liuggi

• 108 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 13:24

One of the most exciting drivers of 2009 but I can't see who he's driving for this year? Apparently he's been let go by Renault.....whyyy?

Advertisement

#2 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 13:25

One of the most exciting drivers of 2009 but I can't see who he's driving for this year? Apparently he's been let go by Renault.....whyyy?

Doesn't surprise me.

His talk of doing his old job at the same time as the Renault one - maybe when you're Michael Schumacher. But when you're a young gun and you don't show 100% commitment to the cause, doesn't surprise me to see him get the can.

#3 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,156 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 13:25

because he couldn't keep the car on the track pointing the right way

he was slow
he was dangerous

basically, he was rubbish

#4 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 13:28

Interesting question.

I think Romain Grosjean certainly deserved a better shot at F1.

He's one of those guys who has fallen into the no testing hole.

Also he was quite unlucky as Renault have essentially become a semi-works team rather than full works.

Can't see a way back for Grosjean though.

No one ever said F1 was a nice business.

#5 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 13:29

Posted Image

"Je suis sans le sou, mon ami."

#6 TheF1PERSON

TheF1PERSON

• 552 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 13:53

Interesting question.

I think Romain Grosjean certainly deserved a better shot at F1.

He's one of those guys who has fallen into the no testing hole.

Also he was quite unlucky as Renault have essentially become a semi-works team rather than full works.

Can't see a way back for Grosjean though.

No one ever said F1 was a nice business.

Indeed, and the new owners brought a whole lot of drivers with them so there is no room for Grosjean at all.

That does mean though, that at the moment, there are no French drivers and no French Grand Prix. Well done Bernie :clap:

#7 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 13:55

WHO???

#8 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 13:58

No offence but I don't think I'll miss him. Sure he's extremely quick, but perhaps not F1 quick.
EDIT: Good point by Potmotr, he really never had enough time in the car in the first place. Not his fault but there's no room for sympathy in this game sadly.

Edited by Owen, 05 February 2010 - 13:59.

#9 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 14:00

That's what happens when you're brought mid-season and put against Fernando Alonso, in a **** car, at a time when you were already lacking confidence.

#10 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 14:07

That's what happens when you're brought mid-season and put against Fernando Alonso, in a **** car, at a time when you were already lacking confidence.

Yeh, Flavio's driver management skills strike again.

#11 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 14:11

As Mark Hughes wrote recently, some drivers have stellar junior careers and don't handle the pressure of F1.

Some have fairly average junior careers and thrive in F1.

Grosjean and Kobayashi represent the two opposite ends of the spectrum.

#12 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,793 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 14:14

I'm pretty sure Grosjean will blow-off Kobayashi in ANY type of car. He certainly did it for a year constantly in ASM. Even D'Ambrosio did it for 2 years to Kobayashi... and he's the 4th(!?) driver at Renault.

#13 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 14:23

2nd Renault seat syndrome.. I thought it wasn't so mysterious these days?

#14 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 14:24

He didn't get a fair chance. In GP2 in particular, he showed some real pace but 2009 will go down as his worst year of his life.

Dominated GP2 Asia as a rookie and effectively destroyed Luca Filippi's smooth career path at ART, things started so well. Even more so at the first two GP2 race meetings of 2009 until his Monaco shunt which seriously knocked his confidence. From there, it was dominance to mistakes at every meeting. His lap one at Turkey was appalling as was his needless qualifying collision in Hungary. It started to fall apart.

So he took the Renault seat just as they were in the middle of what is thus far, and probably in all of their time in F1, their darkest period. Rubbish car, sponsors jumping ship and total management shuffle. Oh, and no testing.

How was he supposed to settle down?

I think had he done like Petrov/Hulkenberg, and start from the beginning of the year and with testing mileage, I'm sure he'd be far more impressive in many more eyes.

As it is, unfortunately, he appears finished. Even if he goes back to GP2 and dominates, F1 will still not be interested. The same happened to Giorgio Pantano when he drove for Jordan in 2004.

A pity.

Edited by Disgrace, 05 February 2010 - 14:26.

#15 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 14:45

Fat John didn't get a fair chance. Although I'm not sure he'll get another. The irony is that he might well have got an F1 drive for 2010 had he not taken up the vacant seat at Renault.

#16 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 14:47

WHO???

Growjohn. What's wrong with you :)

#17 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 15:15

Growjohn - :confused: is this another Extenze type product?

#18 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,317 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 15:20

Growjohn. What's wrong with you :)

Is he 6'6" weighing 245?

#19 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 15:23

:up:

I think he is talented, but he arrived in very unfortunate circumstances.
He would deserve another chance, but I'm afraid he will never get one...

Advertisement

#20 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,439 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 15:26

That does mean though, that at the moment, there are no French drivers and no French Grand Prix. Well done Bernie :clap:

Bianchi will be in F1 next year, in one of the Ferrari-powered cars.

#21 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 15:47

Fat John didn't get a fair chance. Although I'm not sure he'll get another. The irony is that he might well have got an F1 drive for 2010 had he not taken up the vacant seat at Renault.

He lacked the basic talent for F1.

#22 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 15:52

Bianchi will be in F1 next year, in one of the Ferrari-powered cars.

I reckon they could have stuck him in a Sauber this year actually.

#23 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 16:16

He is simply not good enough for F1 just like that 2nd driver of STR. They are also dangerous creating crash after crash. Please let them drive in F2 or DTM.

#24 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 16:21

As Mark Hughes wrote recently, some drivers have stellar junior careers and don't handle the pressure of F1.

I dont think either of them have 'proven' their success/failure in F1 just yet. Neither have really had a full shot at the gig yet.

I'd like to see Grosjean get another shot. I'd certainly look at him if I were a team owner(and had an experienced driver onboard already). I dont think its a certainty that he'd do well if given the right opportunity and preparation, but he's definitely got the potential.

#25 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 16:23

He is simply not good enough for F1 just like that 2nd driver of STR. They are also dangerous creating crash after crash. Please let them drive in F2 or DTM.

Aside from Spa, I don't think Grosjean ever crashed in a race did he?

A few spins here and there, but that's to be expected.

#26 patgaw

patgaw

• 506 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 16:28

Roman Growjohn

Posted Image

#27 Talking Point

Talking Point

• 201 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:13

Grosjean did nothing to suggest he was anything special, and F1 is a sport where first impressions count. In retrospect it was probably the wrong career decision to accept the vacant Renault seat mid-season, but I suppose you have to take such opportunities when they arrive... I think Grosjean will ultimately be another Montagny; a driver of obvious ability who had a few races in which they neither disgraced themselves not set the world alight, and as such faded from F1 history. At the end of the day he can proudly tell his kids one day that their dad used to be a Formula 1 racing driver. And he'll probably do alright in another series. :)

Edited by Talking Point, 05 February 2010 - 17:14.

#28 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:16

I'm pretty sure Grosjean will blow-off Kobayashi in ANY type of car. He certainly did it for a year constantly in ASM. Even D'Ambrosio did it for 2 years to Kobayashi... and he's the 4th(!?) driver at Renault.

hahahaha

And by the same comparison Frentzen would have dominated Michael Schumacher in F1, didn't really happen. Different cars, different performances. F1 cars suit Kobi-San more than GP2 cars somehow. :wave:

#29 Talking Point

Talking Point

• 201 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:18

hahahaha

And by the same comparison Frentzen would have dominated Michael Schumacher in F1, didn't really happen. Different cars, different performances. F1 cars suit Kobi-San more than GP2 cars somehow. :wave:

Even so, enough of the Kobayashi hype already please... :yawnface: Reminds me of the Kubica hype in 2008 based on a few decent performances. Let's not get carried away at this stage, I have serious doubts whether Kamui will make a success of it over a whole season...

#30 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:19

He didn't get a fair chance. In GP2 in particular, he showed some real pace but 2009 will go down as his worst year of his life.

Dominated GP2 Asia as a rookie and effectively destroyed Luca Filippi's smooth career path at ART, things started so well. Even more so at the first two GP2 race meetings of 2009 until his Monaco shunt which seriously knocked his confidence. From there, it was dominance to mistakes at every meeting. His lap one at Turkey was appalling as was his needless qualifying collision in Hungary. It started to fall apart.

So he took the Renault seat just as they were in the middle of what is thus far, and probably in all of their time in F1, their darkest period. Rubbish car, sponsors jumping ship and total management shuffle. Oh, and no testing.

How was he supposed to settle down?

I think had he done like Petrov/Hulkenberg, and start from the beginning of the year and with testing mileage, I'm sure he'd be far more impressive in many more eyes.

As it is, unfortunately, he appears finished. Even if he goes back to GP2 and dominates, F1 will still not be interested. The same happened to Giorgio Pantano when he drove for Jordan in 2004.

A pity.

But Pantano did some stupid things in F1 though like in Brasil.

#31 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• 2,368 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:19

I think Growjohn was pretty unlucky, in that he didn't really get to prove himself, but F1 is brutal sometimes in that sense, in that type of situation you gotta perform straight out of the box and obviously it didn't work out that way for Roman.

#32 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:47

And what?

Kobayashi got it done when he had the chance. Two great races, and the part that really stood out for me wsa when Peter Sauber said that Kobayashi demonstrated the ability to implement a strategy throughout a race - important for 2010.

What matters is not what you do in lower formula but what you do when given a rare chance at F1, and as it happens Kobayashi was far more impressive than any of the rookies in 2009.

Grosjean was up against Alonso, fair enough, but he did his best to keep it off the track rather than on it ;-)! He was erratic in GP2 and he was worse in F1.

Edited by PNSD, 05 February 2010 - 17:48.

#33 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:48

"one of the more exciting drivers of 2009" - "exciting" in that he provided much of the off tarmac action you mean ?

#34 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:59

And what?

Kobayashi got it done when he had the chance. Two great races, and the part that really stood out for me wsa when Peter Sauber said that Kobayashi demonstrated the ability to implement a strategy throughout a race - important for 2010.

What matters is not what you do in lower formula but what you do when given a rare chance at F1, and as it happens Kobayashi was far more impressive than any of the rookies in 2009.

Exactly. You don't get many chances in F1 so when you do, you have to take them. It's unfortunate that so many talented drivers will suffer because they fail to make a good first impression, but that's the way it is. Kobayashi happened to make a great first impression and so got the reward for it ; a drive in 2010 and the preseason testing to help him get used to the F1 environment.

#35 Liuggi

Liuggi

• 108 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:59

C'mon guys he wasn't that bad he deserves another chance to show what he's made of :o

#36 TenienteX

TenienteX

• 187 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 18:37

C'mon guys he wasn't that bad he deserves another chance to show what he's made of :o

agree.

romain did well in the feeder series, and might well have taken last years GP2 title. and honestly, which GP2 driver would pass the opportunity when is being offered a formula1 seat, even halfway in the season.

that said, the decision did not pay off for him. he was paired with a driver considered the best of all by many, in a dog of car. the chance to shine was quite low form the beginning on. add the crashgate affair, and renaults following clean cut of the past, and it was clear that grosjean was in trouble.

a truly wasted talent. i truly hope he gets the chance to perform well in other series, to restore his reputation and maybe get another shot at F1 in the future.

#37 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 00:22

Aside from Spa, I don't think Grosjean ever crashed in a race did he?

A few spins here and there, but that's to be expected.

Watch from 2:35
Throwing Button off track >result> ALG need to go wide because of that and therefore he crashed into Hamilton. All thanks to this GROSJEAN talent. Spa 2009 was just an example. Sorry I feel he creates more than just a spin here and there, he creates crashes and is not F1 worthy.

Edited by Lewis, 06 February 2010 - 00:24.

#38 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 00:27

So he's not F1 worthy because he crashed once on his first 7 races. Are you serious?? :rolleyes:

#39 Xaus

Xaus

• 602 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 00:35

I just remember when he cooked his brakes at Singapore and something about him being unable to adapt his braking technique to F1 brakes or having difficulty with it.

Advertisement

#40 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 710 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:53

Romain should try to get some sponsorship, buy himself a seat and destroy his teammate. I think that is the only way for him

#41 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:34

One of the most exciting drivers of 2009

He was not exciting in F1, and in GP2 his most exciting moment was crash testing the car (and barriers?) at Monaco.

#42 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:43

Romain should try to get some sponsorship

Renault themselves dumped him and they knew him best, so who is gonna sponsor him now? F1 is not an option for him anymore, though he might beg his way to a NASCAR seat.

#43 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:44

He was not exciting in F1, and in GP2 his most exciting moment was crash testing the car (and barriers?) at Monaco.

Guess you didn't watch much GP2 or GP2 Asia.

#44 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:30

Yes he was decent when he first came on the scene. Rough and reckless at times but you could see the potential. However, his performances had the inverse trajectory compared to most upcoming drivers: his became medicore with time instead of improving. Whatever the circumstances, the opportunity to drive in F1 was precious, and he did not impress there either.

As with all failed drivers (Piquet, Wurz, Speed) I am sure there will be plenty of excuses explanations for RG's lackadaisical driving.

#45 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:38

For real. :up:

No doubt the most exciting GP2 driver we've seen apart from Lewis.

Edited by Seanspeed, 06 February 2010 - 12:41.

#46 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 15:14

Yes he was decent when he first came on the scene. Rough and reckless at times but you could see the potential. However, his performances had the inverse trajectory compared to most upcoming drivers: his became medicore with time instead of improving. Whatever the circumstances, the opportunity to drive in F1 was precious, and he did not impress there either.

As with all failed drivers (Piquet, Wurz, Speed) I am sure there will be plenty of excuses explanations for RG's lackadaisical driving.

Nice summary of Grosjeans GP2 experience.

He was quick out the box, but his erratic behavoir never got any calmer. He was still making mistakes which you'd expect rookies to make. He struggled to pull of a good weekend. Maybe 1 good race but never really a complete weekend like the Hulk managed.

#47 alfista

alfista

• 1,015 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 15:30

Too much too soon IMHO. He was good enough in lower formulae to get second chance but even that may not help (as happened to Klien).

#48 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,177 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 16:09

He should have reverted to his actual Swiss nationality - he might have scored a Sauber drive, since everyone else seems to be doing national teams this year.

#49 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 16:23

I actually don't think Grosjean was that dangerous as far as creating wrecks or anything like that. But maybe that's because every standout wreck from 2009 that I remember involved Adrian Sutil. :rotfl:

#50 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,482 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 16:49

This sums it up.

Rocky BigJohn will have to take a testing role and seriously impress. He'll need to eat some crow for a while. Or he can just go to touring cars and pay the bills.