Romain Grosjean

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1901 replies to this topic

#1551 BoxToOvertake

BoxToOvertake

• 53 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:21

That's what I understood as well!

Grosjean needs to worry about getting through the first corner and then he can go from there... WDC? Yeah right.

he is a great qualifier (proven this year) , he is a great overtaker (move on hamilton in valencia) . he is very good at tyre management (canada) . his race pace is very good and sometimes he beats kimi. i would say yes that's a world champion in making

Advertisement

#1552 BoxToOvertake

BoxToOvertake

• 53 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:22

Doubt it, it would be like playing poker with toy money.

what about playing f1 2012 online ? :lol:

#1553 discover23

discover23

• 4,397 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:29

Did Grosjean take out Vettel yet?
He is got 5 more opportunities...

#1554 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,834 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:37

he is a great qualifier (proven this year) , he is a great overtaker (move on hamilton in valencia) . he is very good at tyre management (canada) . his race pace is very good and sometimes he beats kimi. i would say yes that's a world champion in making

the only thing is, I fear that if he causes one more 1st lap accident, his F1 career would be finished.

#1555 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,651 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:50

the only thing is, I fear that if he causes one more 1st lap accident, his F1 career would be finished.

He needs a few solid races in a row to get a pass on another incident. Otherwise yea, the consequences of another 1st lap mistake could prove costly for his career and that would extremely unfortunate as I do think this guy has it in him to be one of the best F1 drivers on the grid.

Edited by Seanspeed, 09 October 2012 - 17:50.

#1556 pRy

pRy

• 11,008 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 18:25

Jackie Stewart has offered to help him:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/19889915

#1557 BoxToOvertake

BoxToOvertake

• 53 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 18:29

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/19889915

if it works , he absolutely should do it. i dont mind if he loses 3 or 4 places at the start in the next grand prix or two.

#1558 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,651 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 18:37

if it works , he absolutely should do it. i dont mind if he loses 3 or 4 places at the start in the next grand prix or two.

Being overly cautious can be just as dangerous as being overly aggressive.

#1559 metz

metz

• 9,820 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:04

Knowing Eric the way we do, he'll do it.
If it works, he'll take the credit.
If it fails he'll blame Stewart.

Advertisement

#1560 BoxToOvertake

BoxToOvertake

• 53 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:12

Being overly cautious can be just as dangerous as being overly aggressive.

just brake early enough , dont go for a gap that is closing

#1561 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,483 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:15

Yeah being very defensive at the start is equally as unpredictable as being over aggressive for the other drivers. He's just in a bit of a sticky wicket at the moment and needs some luck to get through the rest of the season without any more blunders. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens again though. Maybe they should just start him from the pit lane or something!

#1562 fed up

fed up

• 1,986 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:19

7 crashes out of 15 races

Not good enough - get rid before he kills or maims someone

#1563 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:39

Perhaps Lotus can "make a deal" with Red Bull, McLarens, Ferrari, Sauber and Co...

Perhaps they can "trade" Grosjean's grid position for a higher grid spot for Kimi!!! :eek:

Let Kimi start 2 spots higher ... and, in return, Lotus starts Grosjean from the pit lane!!! :up::D
Hehe.

What do you think?

That way Lewis, Webber, Seb and Nando can be sure of not getting wasted into the first corner!

Fair trade?

I'd take it if I were Domenicalli, Whitmarsh and Horner! I mean right now, Romain is basically a battering ram for Kimi's title challenge...so the other team managers should be jumping at my trade suggestion! :lol:

LOL

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 09 October 2012 - 19:41.

#1564 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,651 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:43

get rid before he kills or maims someone

Oh god. :rolleyes:

#1565 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:49

I see the hate train left Maldo station and stopped here.

#1566 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 860 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 20:02

All Aboard! WOO WOO!

Posted Image

Edited by TheUltimateWorrier, 09 October 2012 - 20:15.

#1567 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 20:16

I don't hate Romain.

I was just having a little fun with my "Trade"/"Deal" post.

:wave:

#1568 Topsu

Topsu

• 798 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 20:22

I see they are both reckless drivers. Well, Maldonado has stepped up, we'll see if Romain can do the same.

#1569 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 20:35

don't worry, it's just refueling here, next stop ... 'Lewis Hamilton in 2013' station :lol:

#1570 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 20:43

You need Grosjean to see how fast the car is. Kimi sure can't do the job in Qualifying.

#1571 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 20:44

All Aboard! WOO WOO!

Posted Image

Damn those little creatures are cute. Are they tasty?

#1572 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,898 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 21:16

Rommy never meant to kill.. Rommy only meant to maim - or seriously injure..

#1573 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,709 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 21:36

You need Grosjean to see how fast the car is. Kimi sure can't do the job in Qualifying.

you maybe right,but the points are Collected on a Sunday consistantly by Kimi

#1574 Oho

Oho

• 7,739 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:51

you maybe right,but the points are Collected on a Sunday consistantly by Kimi

No he isn't for example over the timed laps Räikkönen was the quicker of the two at Suzuka. He qualified worse than Grosjean but was faster.

#1575 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 653 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:05

No he isn't for example over the timed laps Räikkönen was the quicker of the two at Suzuka. He qualified worse than Grosjean but was faster.

Grosjean kinda had a 1 stop strategy, with pit stop at lap 1 and 22 (not counting his penalty) and had a lot of traffic too being at the back of the field. Quite hard to be fast this way

But maybe you're not talking about the race, then my bad.

Edited by Yhamm, 10 October 2012 - 05:06.

#1576 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,941 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:38

Do you need Romain though? Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Kobayashi to name three are to blame for fewer incidents in their whole career than Grosjean in this season.

To my mind, Total money is keeping him in a seat when he should be learning the craft in a car that isn't capable of 3rd in the goddamn series even with qualifying issues. Rosberg is still beating him, and it is a consensus the Merc is rubbish.

#1577 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:09

it seems when you're down, even the mosquitos kick you for shits and giggles

i feel sorry for romain, even bernie is making fun of him. i hope he mends his reputation at korea

Bernie-suggests-eye-test-for-Grosjean

Ecclestone has a suggestion of his own.

"There might be something wrong with his peripheral vision," the F1 supremo told the Daily Express.

"He's quick but he has been involved in a lot of problems at the start.

"I would definitely suggest he has his eyes tested because he has problems seeing what is happening around him."

#1578 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,328 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:53

i feel sorry for romain, even bernie is making fun of him. i hope he mends his reputation at korea

Bernie-suggests-eye-test-for-Grosjean

I don't think he is toying with him. I sensed it's a genuine concern on Bernie's account.

#1579 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,350 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:03

someone try to be funny I think ? http://whomwillgrosjeancrashnext.com/

Advertisement

#1580 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,935 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:03

The guy has hit rock bottom now, and I sympathies with him and Lotus. The guy has speed, especially in qualifying and should already have won a race. It's hurting to see his talent fall under his nose. I predicted him to be the dark horse of this year, but he's been more of a joker/first corner kamikaze.

#1581 MonacoMaster

MonacoMaster

• 104 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:06

A nice read about Romain's incidents: http://willthef1jour...em-like-romain/

#1582 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:07

someone try to be funny I think ? http://whomwillgrosjeancrashnext.com/

:down:
that is just too sad, i always try to put my self in a driver's shoe and i sympathize with romain. :evil:

#1583 hansmann

hansmann

• 261 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:13

Maybe a rookie in a car capable of podiums is part of the issue here; ambitions and grid positions might be too high .

I hope he and Maldo can keep their noses clean for the rest of the season, and are allowed back next year with a more mature approach ; I'm tired of new drivers getting thrown into fast cars, not good for racing, imho.

#1584 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,350 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:15

:down:
that is just too sad, i always try to put my self in a driver's shoe and i sympathize with romain. :evil:

So do I...I hope Romain not see this website, it´is so unnecessary. :rolleyes:

#1585 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:31

:up:

the problem is people won't see it with a pair of rational glasses, 80% of the formula one fans are merely so called gossip fans, they care more about bans and contacts and Tw@tter saga than to watch an incident and analyze it (kimi-alonso incident :wave:)

i have to admit, i also found romain's expression on skyf1 after suzuka heartbreaking. he's under tremendous mental pressure. i want him to score and help kimi in wdc and lotus f1 to pass ferrari. let's see what happens. i'm waiting to download drivers press conferrence after it airs, so till then can't say much.

#1586 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,935 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:38

Oh boy. The boy has become a meme!

http://jalopnik.com/...race-car-driver

Posted Image

Edited by F1ultimate, 11 October 2012 - 09:39.

#1587 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,212 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:40

More time in the simulator would help

#1588 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:55

Has Romain given any explanation on what the hell he was thinking at Suzuka? Though it's clear what happened was he was too caught up getting under the guy to the left of him and paid no attention to Webber...it really is very noobish:/ You wouldn't even forgive a rookie on iRacing doing that...

#1589 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:58

So far sums it up the result of Lotus team this year. Time after time we saw a talented boy becoming crash-man. He can still work on it. I recall Kimi was never a crash man, so kind of a good hint for the team to be conscious of. Lost a lot of points for the team, meaning lots of cash.

#1590 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,419 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:05

Top piece. :up:

Edited by Disgrace, 11 October 2012 - 10:06.

#1591 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:14

Korea GP starts with a few do-or-die-i-will-outbrake-you corners. My guess is that Romain will once again overestimate his brakes and underestimate the size of his car.

If only he can take Alonso + Vettel out in one go! That would be great news for the WDC as we can have a four-driver run to the end

Edited by glorius&victorius, 11 October 2012 - 10:16.

#1592 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,458 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:40

Too onesided. And he is too kind to Grosjean. Monaco he had plenty of time. That he even had to think about Malaysia and Japan. And a lot of the starts in the beginning of the season one could see Romain kamikazing away at the start pretty obvious. I like Romain, but I think that if he and his team would have talked about this harder and with less oh poor unlucky you it would have been better for him. They said racing incidents again and again and now they are here. I want him to do good at Korea and I want him to have a clean start because he is worth a lot better than this he is having now so I will cheer for him this Sunday. Come on Romain.

#1593 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 16:34

transcript of what romain said in press conf. regarding crashes

“Mark came to see me and I completely understand that he was unhappy,” said the Franco-Swiss driver. “The only thing I could say was to apologize and that’s what I did. I’m clearly conscious of the risk at the start, I’m working on changing on quite a lot of things but work doesn’t come from one day to the other one.

“There is a process going on. I said I was very sorry. I’m not stupid and I’m conscious of the risk. And hopefully by now it will be a different and I will not make the mistake of focusing on the wrong targets.”

“Not having any contact on the first lap, that’s clearly one of the objectives. I’d say there’s work in progress and it takes a bit of time but yeah, it’s a cycle as well: things have been going bad, and the more it goes bad… I’m conscious of the risk at the start. The Spa accident was quite impressive and I was the first one to be happy that Fernando had nothing [i.e. was not injured].

“I paid the price as well for my mistake. In the team we spoke quite a lot; they are not happy, I am not happy the way we have been going through the first laps. There are 550 people working at Enstone to give us the best car and if you ruin everything in the first 100m it’s not good. I’m conscious of all of that and will try to take as many precautions as possible to go through the first lap – and then normally in the race we are OK.”

hopefully korea will sort things out for him.

Edited by eronrules, 11 October 2012 - 16:35.

#1594 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 860 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:37

“. . . I will not make the mistake of focusing on the wrong targets.”

CONSPIRACY! So he was aiming for the wrong Red Bull then :drunk: !

#1595 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:42

So much bullshit pro-Grosjean nonsense from the media since his incident with Webber, it's like they've got some vested personal monetary interest to keep him on the grid. Seems like people can only hate him (including the FIA) if he takes out Alonso, maybe Hamilton. The guy has been involved in a ridiculous amount of incidents. If it was anyone else everyone would be going nuts.

Shit, some people only have one or two incidents over multiple seasons but they get slaughtered left right and centre (see: Vettel). This fool crashes all the time and everyone loves him.

**** Grosjean. I'm sorry but the media and fan reaction has now reached the levels of idiocy and inconsistency that I can only express my disdain by completely dismissing Grosjean and hoping someone else comes in.

Edited by King Six, 11 October 2012 - 18:44.

#1596 John Player

John Player

• 455 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:53

I think Bernie might be right.

#1597 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,651 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:58

So much bullshit pro-Grosjean nonsense from the media since his incident with Webber, it's like they've got some vested personal monetary interest to keep him on the grid. Seems like people can only hate him (including the FIA) if he takes out Alonso, maybe Hamilton. The guy has been involved in a ridiculous amount of incidents. If it was anyone else everyone would be going nuts.

Shit, some people only have one or two incidents over multiple seasons but they get slaughtered left right and centre (see: Vettel). This fool crashes all the time and everyone loves him.

**** Grosjean. I'm sorry but the media and fan reaction has now reached the levels of idiocy and inconsistency that I can only express my disdain by completely dismissing Grosjean and hoping someone else comes in.

I think a lot of people dont want to see a genuinely talented guy throw away a potentially successful F1 career because of one season of stupid and fixable mistakes.

#1598 fed up

fed up

• 1,986 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 19:00

:up:

the problem is people won't see it with a pair of rational glasses, 80% of the formula one fans are merely so called gossip fans, they care more about bans and contacts and Tw@tter saga than to watch an incident and analyze it (kimi-alonso incident :wave:)

i have to admit, i also found romain's expression on skyf1 after suzuka heartbreaking. he's under tremendous mental pressure. i want him to score and help kimi in wdc and lotus f1 to pass ferrari. let's see what happens. i'm waiting to download drivers press conferrence after it airs, so till then can't say much.

...and this is why he should be stood down. He is a liability.

F1 is a dangerous sport, so why increase the risks by allowing a driver with a near 50% crash record to take control of a 200 mph car.

What are the odds of him crashing again? err.. 50%

He has the speed for sure but that Webber crash was just odd. It was like he was focusing on the car on his outside and forgot about the car in front. School boy error not F1.

I hope he sorts himself out, but I think it is irresponsible and reckless to allow him to continue in F1

Edited by fed up, 11 October 2012 - 19:03.

#1599 topical

topical

• 2,300 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 19:04

I was very angry at Grosjean when he took out Alonso in Spa as I'm sure Webber fans were last week. But I kind of feel sorry for him too now and I hope he can have a good weekend at Korea, he really needs a confidence boost.

Advertisement

#1600 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 860 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 19:11

I think a lot of people dont want to see a genuinely talented guy throw away a potentially successful F1 career because of one season of stupid and fixable mistakes.

But he was making these gross errors of misjudgement/lack of awareness in 2009 too. According to many ex-F1 drivers, these mistakes he makes aren't easily fixable as they are more about his instincts than anything. From James Allen's blog;

Because race starts are an instinctive moment, many ex-drivers in the paddock argue that this is not something that can be trained into him.

I don't hate Grosjean - never met the man, don't know him - but if he continues to make these mistakes and gets another season at the expense of a driver like Kamui then there's something wrong with F1.