* * * - - 21 votes

Romain Grosjean

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1901 replies to this topic

#1701 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,881 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:14

I put his name along cuz I rank him right there with Alonso. Nothing more than that, man.

I'm not slamming Kimi, I'm just saying going up against him isn't like going up against one of the top drivers or anything. Like, he's not such an immense talent that he'll wreck some young kid's spirit or something like nectar was getting at.

If anything, this season has showed Kimi is one of the top drivers, there is group of four top drivers Alonso,Hamiton,Vettel and Kimi.most of the paddock say so and this season they have said that only Alonso has been more impressive than Kimi. Kimi is also said to be one if not the biggest naturally talented driver ever in F1.

But no driver is a fraid of their team mate or shouldnt be, they are all human and beatable if they are afraid, they are in wrong job.

Advertisement

#1702 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:14

Do they want raw near front row speed and occasional DNF's, or do they want a consistent points finisher

It doesn't have to be an either/or scenario. Grosjean can be a consistent points finisher. Its not like he's forever doomed to DNF every 3rd race or something.

If anything, this season has showed Kimi is one of the top drivers, there is group of four top drivers Alonso,Hamiton,Vettel and Kimi.most of the paddock say so and this season they have said that only Alonso has been more impressive than Kimi. Kimi is also said to be one if not the biggest naturally talented driver ever in F1.

I think plenty of people omit Kimi from that group still, quite rightfully. Believe what you will, though. This isn't the place for it.

Edited by Seanspeed, 16 November 2012 - 14:17.

#1703 yr

yr

• 5,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:32

I never said Alonso or Lewis was unbeatable.

Well, you could´ve fooled me. Quote: "Having Kimi as a teammate isn't that big a hurdle for a decent driver. Its not like having Alonso or Lewis or anything. Kimi is very beatable."

Maybe I am misunderstanding your thoughts, but what I read was: "Kimi is very beatable" and "its not like having Alonso or Lewis or anything.", the only way to read that for me is that Alonso and Hamilton are unbeatable... unless you think Kimi is soooooo far away from Alonso and Lewis that even though FA and LH are beatable only just and only by best drivers, Kimi is struggling against almost anyone.

#1704 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,898 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:43

Don't you know he's infact the BIGGEST Kimi fan around here? No, really!

#1705 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:43

Can we just ignore the trolls?

#1706 nectar

nectar

• 97 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:47

It doesn't have to be an either/or scenario. Grosjean can be a consistent points finisher. Its not like he's forever doomed to DNF every 3rd race or something.

I think plenty of people omit Kimi from that group still, quite rightfully. Believe what you will, though. This isn't the place for it.

Believe what you will, indeed. Anyway, this is Romain's thread, so to the point: for the long term benefit of Lotus F1 Team, should they renew with him next year? I think when they signed him this year, apart from the money side, they are also looking for a future champion if /when they produce a winning car, like future Vettle. So does Romain look like that to me? Again, mentality; i may sound crazy, but i think Malmanardo has a better chance than him. Grojean to me a bystander's eye doesn't look quite so sure of himself and lacks a kind of settled heart. So if there is any slim chance that Lotus and Malmanardo could get together, might not be so bad an idea. Yes Malmanardo messed up almost quite as often as Grojean this year, but didn't get himself a race ban. There is a difference here. Sometimes call it luck, or fate, whatever you will, these seemingly tiny difference part ways. But we'll see how things go pretty soon in coming weeks.

#1707 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:12

Don't you know he's infact the BIGGEST Kimi fan around here? No, really!

Never said that, either.

And I'm out. Kimi defense force in full action here. All ability to have reasonable discussion is gone.

#1708 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 16:58

Dear god.

I never said "All Kimi fans are rabid", did I? I'm certainly living proof of that. :rolleyes:

Neither did I. I was referring to the word "rabid" which you used to describe "kimi fans".

#1709 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 17:04

Neither did I. I was referring to the word "rabid" which you used to describe "kimi fans".

If you acknowledge that I wasn't saying all Kimi fans are rabid, then it made no sense to say I was generalizing anything.

Edited by Seanspeed, 16 November 2012 - 17:05.

#1710 Avastrol

Avastrol

• 368 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 21:23

Right now taking out the crash in Grosjean also takes out his speed.

While I would be interested in seeing him get another year to iron out (if he would ever get around to it) his mistakes, I would not be surprised it he just didn't get renewed outright. There comes a point that banking on future potential while it eats at the present becomes a poor decision.

#1711 Topsu

Topsu

• 785 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 23:12

I'm a huge fan of Kimi, but damn enough is enough. Absolutely nothing even remotely negative can be said about Kimi without the (absurdly) large crowd of Kimi defence force members starting to shout about Kimi's extraordinary talent and 'legendary' status as a remote yet lovable mystery man. I guess I don't like the praise because I'm a Finn as well. We are weird.

#1712 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,251 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 23:13

Can we just ignore the trolls?

I´d pay some bucks to see a certain´s guy face after the last handfull of laps of the Abu Dhabi GP :lol: It must have hurted BIG time.

Back on topic, I think Romain needs something really special on one of these two last GPs. I think he´s closer to be kicked than to be retained after reading all the "we´ll see" stuff about him when team representatives were asked.

#1713 weareracing

weareracing

• 888 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 23:34

So, if the team decide NOT to retain Romain, who is available?
No one is jumping ship from Red Bull, McLaren or Ferrari and Michael is not moving over from Mercedes, opting to retire.
Kamui from Sauber, Heikki from Caterham, Timo from Marussia, Pastor or Valeri from Williams, Paul from Force India or Jaime and Sebastien from the Toro Rosso wilderness ?
Any best guesses?
Or are they just leaving it late to keep Romain on his best behaviour for the last 2 races?

#1714 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 00:16

Lotus need someone who is the polar opposite of Romain. They do not have the luxury of throwing away money for 27 year old crash kids who don't score points. Points in WCC are worth massive amounts of MONEY, and money is the biggest difference between Lotus and the top 3 teams. They need someone who dependably finishes races and scores points without a lot of fuss. They already have a top driver to gun for WDC with. It's a DAMN SHAME they are 4th in the WCC with the results their other driver has gotten this season.

#1715 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,872 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 00:19

Lotus need someone who is the polar opposite of Romain.

So we need someone with no future prospects, doesn't crash in the races and is pathetically slow, particularly in qualifying. Karthikeyan?

#1716 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 00:23

So we need someone with no future prospects, doesn't crash in the races and is pathetically slow, particularly in qualifying. Karthikeyan?

No. Karthikeyan crashes.

#1717 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,872 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 00:27

Only once in Singapore this season!

#1718 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 00:33

I'll be very surprised if they don't keep him.. despite all the incidents and the ban he still has a respectable points tally, and I'd argue that it would be quite easy for him to improve on that next season.

There isn't a driver available that would be a clear improvement either.

#1719 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:42

Commentators during practice 2 commented on Grosjean's use of the international 'no brain', wave when someone upset him.

I imagined him during his stand down, standing in front of a mirror and practising it. :rotfl:

Advertisement

#1720 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:48

I´d pay some bucks to see a certain´s guy face after the last handfull of laps of the Abu Dhabi GP :lol: It must have hurted BIG time.

I was pretty happy, actually. :D

Wanted the win, but Kimi 1st and 2nd being better than expected for Alonso was a pretty good day.

#1721 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:15

Lotus need someone who is the polar opposite of Romain. They do not have the luxury of throwing away money for 27 year old crash kids who don't score points. Points in WCC are worth massive amounts of MONEY, and money is the biggest difference between Lotus and the top 3 teams. They need someone who dependably finishes races and scores points without a lot of fuss. They already have a top driver to gun for WDC with. It's a DAMN SHAME they are 4th in the WCC with the results their other driver has gotten this season.

I am of the same view regarding Grosjean wasting close to $10 million + Lotus pride of finishing 3rd because of some awful race craft and team awareness. And thats not even taking into account the damage BILLS.

All of which amounts to Lotus having less FUNDS to use in development of the 2013 car. And in this way, Grosjean has already put Lotus in the backfoot as well as having an adverse affect on Kimi directly.

Grosjean must have costed lotus around:-
-7 Front Wings
-Major body parts replacements
-Loads of carbon fibre repair & replacement.
-chasis repair & repaints
-Rear wings, sidepods, Floor, etc etc.

Raikkonen damage Bills are... Zero!!!

#1722 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:55

Correction, I believe Kimi damaged his wing when Fonzie decided to cut across him in Suzuka :lol: Sorry I'm just being irritating so that some people won't think I'm one of those rabid kimi fans who .... :cat: :cat: :cat:

#1723 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:03

Lotus need someone who is the polar opposite of Romain. [...]

Pedro De La Rosa seems to be available for 2013.

#1724 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:08

Spa was a very eventful crash for the season. If he hadn't caused the pileup:
1. Alonso would probably be still leading the WDC now.
2. Sauber would be ahead of Merc already in the WCC.
3. Kamui might have continued to drive for Sauber in 2013 if he had a podium in Spa (he would have had 2 podiums to Perez's 3).

I see lots of people focussing on his impact on Lotus and his own prospects, but he's had quite a bit of influence on other drivers and teams this season. Go Romain :up:

#1725 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:29

Spa was a very eventful crash for the season. If he hadn't caused the pileup:
1. Alonso would probably be still leading the WDC now.
2. Sauber would be ahead of Merc already in the WCC.
3. Kamui might have continued to drive for Sauber in 2013 if he had a podium in Spa (he would have had 2 podiums to Perez's 3).

I see lots of people focussing on his impact on Lotus and his own prospects, but he's had quite a bit of influence on other drivers and teams this season. Go Romain :up:

Drivers have whole season to make the diffrence. I don't think Kamui won't be hired just because of this one race :rolleyes:

#1726 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:30

Well on that basis Kimi cost Alonso more points in Suzuka, KIMI RUINED THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!! :rolleyes:

#1727 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:42

I'm just saying it isn't just about Lotus and Grosjean. He's had a significant impact on a number of other drivers and teams this season. He's managed to spread it around a bit so there isn't a monolithic entity whose fans can come on here and remind people, but it behooves us to remember that angle as well. There are other victims besides Lotus.

#1728 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,572 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:45

You guys are making it sound like Romain's a serial criminal or something. Arrest him, now.

#1729 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 13:18

Arrest him, now.

Look up the etymology of "arrest" and you'll realize that the FIA did, for one race.  ;)

#1730 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 13:35

I personally think F1 would be better off without drivers who can hardly finish half the races without ruining other driver's seasons. But apparently it's going to be Lotus's call alone on whether or not he drives next season.

#1731 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 13:50

I personally think F1 would be better off without drivers who can hardly finish half the races without ruining other driver's seasons. But apparently it's going to be Lotus's call alone on whether or not he drives next season.

Thats racing. He's made mistakes but he's had good speed and been quick at times, some incidents have been blown out of all proportion and i think he deserves a second season. If he keeps getting involved in such things next season then fine, he would of had a fair chance and not taken it. Right now in the limited testing era you have to give drivers more time than before. Hamilton and Kovalainen did the equivalent of about 23 grand prix's in pre-season testing before 2007, Grosjean did about 6 GPs worth before this season. You might not think its relevant to driving incidents but its experience, that all adds up.

#1732 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 14:03

Thats racing.

No, it really, really is not.

But I trust Lotus to make the right decision given the information available now. If he's signed for next season, great I'll support him to bring home points for Lotus. If not, I will not be mourning much either.

#1733 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 853 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:37

P4... not bad, not bad :up: . What a shame he got +5 penalty... At least he will start from clean side.

#1734 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,751 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:39

P4... not bad, not bad :up: . What a shame he got +5 penalty... At least he will start from clean side.

:up: Yep. Nice job from Romain, I hope he has a nice clean run in the race.

#1735 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:44

Great qualifying from Romain despite missing running in FP3 :up:

#1736 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:26

yeah groggy did a good quali - shame for the gearbox penalty! I also read that kimi's engine is older than Groggy's or something... dunno if it will become an issue during the race ...

#1737 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:14

:clap:

Just been confirmed for Lotus.

Not a big surprise but still, the relief!!

#1738 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,872 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:17

Excellent news, a very sensible decision.

#1739 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,755 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:20

As a Kobayashi fan, I'm disappointed, but I do believe that Grosjean has shown enough pace in between errors to justify another season. Hopefully he will be a more consistent performer now that he has a full year's worth of experience to draw upon.

Advertisement

#1740 quidam

quidam

• 188 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:24

After his win this week end at ROC, good news for him :)

#1741 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,251 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:26

:clap:
Just been confirmed for Lotus.
Not a big surprise but still, the relief!!

Didn´t think it would happen, didn´t want it to happen either to be honest.

But congratulations, Romain, and good luck for the future. :)

#1742 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:28

As a Kobayashi fan, I'm disappointed, but I do believe that Grosjean has shown enough pace in between errors to justify another season. Hopefully he will be a more consistent performer now that he has a full year's worth of experience to draw upon.

I agree totally.
The thing with Grosjean is that he was faster before summer break/ban. After summer break his best finish was 7th (maybe 6th if not the team order). I don't know what caused that, but I do hope he has the mental toughness to drive with/against Kimi. Before summer break he was FAST (although Kimi was rusty).

#1743 swerved

swerved

• 3,615 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:32

I'm going to reserve judgment, we'll see if he can get through the fisrt handful of races without wiping someone out, there's little doubt he's quick, but thats of little value to Lotus as a team if he continues to throw away points needlessly.

#1744 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,880 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:37

If petrov got a chance from them, he should too. I know, he likes to wipe out half the field sometimes, but he is very quick, and they put a lot of effort into this guy. Hope he delivers this time for a change.

#1745 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,872 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:40

I agree totally.
The thing with Grosjean is that he was faster before summer break/ban. After summer break his best finish was 7th (maybe 6th if not the team order). I don't know what caused that, but I do hope he has the mental toughness to drive with/against Kimi. Before summer break he was FAST (although Kimi was rusty).

The coverage of the incidents he was involved in obviously hit his confidence. Recall him driving deliberately off track to avoid an incident that hadn't even occurred yet on lap one in Korea. He was at his best whilst happy-go-jolly and a new contract with a RoC title in his pocket will do nicely.

#1746 swerved

swerved

• 3,615 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:46

Tweet from GrandPrixDiary

"With the news that @Lotus_F1Team have signed Grosjean for 2013, proposed title sponsor Honeywell to stand aside for Admiral car insurance"

:lol:

#1747 Topsu

Topsu

• 785 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 18:49

There's no place in F1 for racers like Grosjean in my opinion.

#1748 KavB

KavB

• 1,085 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 19:02

Romain better maximise this third chance he's receiving. I think he's super quick and can win races, but he needs to show evidence that he has learnt from his mistakes. If not then career over, when he could easily be at a top team with his speed.

#1749 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 19:02

There's no place in F1 for racers like Grosjean in my opinion.

And thats why it is worth squat. :p

Romain is seriously quick and has shown glimpses of being a big talent. He's made mistakes, yes, but it is possible to make a fast driver consistent, it is not possible to make a consistent driver fast, however.

If Petrov deserved a second season at Lotus/Renault then Romain more than deserves another chance, not that he doesn't anyway.

Edited by olliek88, 17 December 2012 - 19:03.

#1750 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 19:18

A big talent does not cause upwards of 8 crashes, thats almost half the season he has crashed into someone/by himself. Thats the sign of a moron who has no place in F1, let alone a decent team. Oh lotus, lotus :(

Here´s an interesting video, making me even more baffled at why they re signed this moving demolition derby of a guy:

It´s not just F1, he crashes whatever he drives...

Edited by Rikhart, 17 December 2012 - 19:42.