* * * - - 21 votes

Romain Grosjean

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1901 replies to this topic

#1751 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 19:35

God damn it, I'm Lotus follower. I'm fully aware of Grosjean speed, he is quick as ****, but please Grosjean less mistakes and crashes. I know that u're great fast driver, but these eratic mistakes destroy a bit your image.

Though good luck next season.

Advertisement

#1752 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,823 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 19:37

Fernando is not going to like this news. :stoned:

#1753 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 19:48

Not happy about this. Both as Lotus fan and as person who hates seeing drivers' season getting ruined by drivers who don't belong in F1. Even if he was the greatest qualifier in the world, he doesn't belong in F1 -- it's a racing series that requires the highest level of spatial awareness and sensibility. The guy still goes around BSing that he's learned from his crashes blah blah blah but he crashed out of half of them including the season closer and scored less than half as many points as his teammate.

It would be one thing if he had shown improvement across the season. Instead, HE SHOWED NO IMPROVEMENT. I expect him to crash out of about 7 races next season. Let's see if I'm right and let's see which drivers' seasons he ruins. It's sad that people like him have seats in F1 when there are so many talents in the world.

#1754 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,021 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 20:43

Congrats to Romain, keeping his seat after his excellent 2012.

Posted Image

The other 21 drivers on the grid better start praying.

#1755 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,147 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 20:58

Grosjean is a unpolished diamond. Just wait untill he has grown... He will be frikkin fast

#1756 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,743 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:30

Grosjean is a unpolished diamond. Just wait untill he has grown... He will be frikkin fast

he is frikkin fast....he needs to deliver..which, I agree, is a lot easier than learning a slow driver to be fast
good luck romain

#1757 sniper80

sniper80

• 519 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:11

That's the problem, Grosjean is quick because he is reckless, as soon as he matures, he will be slower...
I can't understand Lotus' decision to give him yet another chanche. Let's hope he proves me wrong.

#1758 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 120 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:28

I'm seriously baffled by this decision. Either he'll crack under the pressure, and just crash more or he'll be too cautious, and therefore slow. He'll be replaced before the season draws close, I can almost guarantee that.

#1759 AlexS

AlexS

• 2,471 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:29

Disaster will follow.

Advertisement

#1760 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:32

I'm seriously baffled by this decision. Either he'll crack under the pressure, and just crash more or he'll be too cautious, and therefore slow. He'll be replaced before the season draws close, I can almost guarantee that.

Check my sig, i think that could come back to bite you in your a$$.

#1761 rijole1

rijole1

• 632 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:35

This is gonna be really interesting...
Could we say it's a success if he manages to keep it to only 5 retirements next season 2013?
One thing is sure - he must pick up more points than this year.

#1762 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:37

Fernando is not going to like this news. :stoned:

Don't think so, they get along well. I was also upset after Spa but I think from Lotus POV is the correct decision. He's young, fast and can manage tyre degradation. He obviously has to work on his first laps but if he does it he won't be far from Kimi.

#1763 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,866 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:40

That's the problem, Grosjean is quick because he is reckless, as soon as he matures, he will be slower...

He's not crashing out on his own. He is crashing with other drivers. Nothing wrong with his safety when he is on his own on the track.

Btw, why does a Kimi Räikkönen fan need to spend so much time criticizing Grosjean? Feeling threatened a little?  ;)

#1764 swerved

swerved

• 3,609 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:44

He's not crashing out on his own. He is crashing with other drivers. Nothing wrong with his safety when he is on his own on the track.

Btw, why does a Kimi Räikkönen fan need to spend so much time criticizing Grosjean? Feeling threatened a little? ;)

Perhaps, Jean being French n all, he'll arrange for Romain to compete alone then ? :rotfl:

#1765 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:49

Good for him. I believe he deserved a second chance. I think he will be strong next season.

#1766 swerved

swerved

• 3,609 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 22:51

Good for him. I believe he deserved a second chance. I think he will be strong next season.

I was under the impression he'd already had 2 chances ?, he's very lucky man, I would imagine Total must be paying Lotus a pretty large sum for him to retain his seat.

#1767 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 23:17

Btw, why does a Kimi Räikkönen fan need to spend so much time criticizing Grosjean? Feeling threatened a little? ;)

Last time he did that was in Brazil. Maybe it was poor spatial awareness, inexperience or brainfade, but he got on wet paint and crashed. Others avoided the paint.
But I'm not saying he is a bad driver, he is fast. He just doesn't know where his car is. I hope for a solid season 2013 for him.

#1768 rijole1

rijole1

• 632 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 23:21

I was under the impression he'd already had 2 chances ?, he's very lucky man, I would imagine Total must be paying Lotus a pretty large sum for him to retain his seat.

Me too. Wouldn't be surprised if Lotus have negotiated a massive extra 'crash bonus' sponsor money from Total for 2013.
Probably the reason why it took so long before they made the announcement. :D
But it will be interesting to follow if Grosjean can learn from his misstakes.
If yes, Lotus will have 2 really strong drivers for next year.

#1769 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 23:30

Hardly threathened when Kimi was the one who brought Lotus to 4th, Romain's points had no bearing whatsoever. If Romain hadn't raced at all last season Lotus would still had been 4th.

Hence it's quite risky IMO, but if they have the money then why not ;)

#1770 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 23:51

but Lotus need to develop their own driver. One day Raikkonen will go away (1-2 more years and he will leave F1 again I believe, not to different team but just in general, coz he do it coz he like it) then they would be in a pinch so they needed to evaluate which driver is worth to invest in: Kobayashi or Grosjean. Kobayashi is a bit slower imo than Grosjean but has better spartial awarness + his overtakes are tremendous, while Grosjean is quicker driver per lap but his spartial awarness is lacking. He might fix that, but u wont learn driver to drive faster (though in my personal opinion Kobayashi was better and more entertaining than most drivers on the grid, and I still cant believe that he will be missing next year).

#1771 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 00:06

I agree that Lotus needs to develop their own driver, but what if Romain goes on lacking spatial awareness? It will be another minus-year for them and if Kimi leaves after next season, then what? Two new drivers or will they still have faith in Romain?

Romain wasn't a rookie last season, he was in F1 in 2009 and it was a disaster. In GP2 they drive in a different way and Romain was involved in many crashes there too. Mainly I'm worried that he doesn't understand that he can't bring the GP2-antics to F1, that it's a different league and it's not GP2.

What if Romain still thinks that he can just take off in the starts and rely upon others slowing down and giving him way without him seeing what happens around him? It's like he sees an opening and goes for it, sometimes it pays off but mostly it doesn't.

We'll see next year, fingers crossed...

#1772 jondon

jondon

• 503 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 00:06

Sad to see this clown keeping Kobayashi out of a seat next year. Grosjean might be quick but he can not race.

#1773 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 00:08

Sad to see this clown keeping Kobayashi out of a seat next year. Grosjean might be quick but he can not race.

Agreed!

And it's in racing that the real talents should surface, knowing when to slow down. Sad for Koba too :cry:

#1774 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 00:08

x2, loss for F1.

#1775 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:22

I can't understand Lotus' decision to give him yet another chanche. Let's hope he proves me wrong.

His manager is the team principal. Additionally their money comes primarily from two French companies.

#1776 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,026 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:27

Romain's margin for error in 2013.... is this much !!

#1777 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,724 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:27

I bet this video will be up to 10 minutes long by the end of the year.

#1778 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,399 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:55

Good choice, I think. :up:

The guy is much better than a lot of people give him credit for. 2012 was a nightmare of a season both of his own doing and bad luck, but he's got what it takes. As a Ferrari fan, I would have actually been more assured if they'd have picked anyone else, including Kobayashi or Sutil or anyone. But Grosjean is a proper threat. He's not 'just fast', either. He might be aggressive, but he's got it in him to really pull together a season. You dont win championships like he has if you cant.

Be glad to see his wife around the paddock, too. Cant deny that. :D

#1779 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,421 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:58

Who knows but I think once he gets his confidence brimming he will be a force to be reckoned with. Big time.

Advertisement

#1780 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:13

but Lotus need to develop their own driver. One day Raikkonen will go away (1-2 more years and he will leave F1 again I believe, not to different team but just in general, coz he do it coz he like it) then they would be in a pinch so they needed to evaluate which driver is worth to invest in: Kobayashi or Grosjean. Kobayashi is a bit slower imo than Grosjean but has better spartial awarness + his overtakes are tremendous, while Grosjean is quicker driver per lap but his spartial awarness is lacking. He might fix that, but u wont learn driver to drive faster (though in my personal opinion Kobayashi was better and more entertaining than most drivers on the grid, and I still cant believe that he will be missing next year).

Lotus doesn't really need a fast driver that much, if they could just get someone to finish consistently 1 - 3 places behind Kimi consistently then that would be perfect for them, that is how you collect points. Being fast is important but it is also a bit overrated to some degree. In terms of speed the true margins between all of the drivers on the grid are very small. The quality that really tend to set good drivers or champions apart are the fact that they have the ability to be consistently fast and not overly error prone, and all the champions on the grid displayed these qualities to some degree right from the start.
Of course things have changed, there isn't a lot of testing these days so I think it is fair to give Grosjean another chance, the fact that the team are willing to back him might also give him a bit of a confidence boost.

#1781 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:16

Lotus doesn't really need a fast driver that much, if they could just get someone to finish consistently 1 - 3 places behind Kimi consistently then that would be perfect for them, that is how you collect points. Being fast is important but it is also a bit overrated to some degree. In terms of speed the true margins between all of the drivers on the grid are very small. The quality that really tend to set good drivers or champions apart are the fact that they have the ability to be consistently fast and not overly error prone, and all the champions on the grid displayed these qualities to some degree right from the start.
Of course things have changed, there isn't a lot of testing these days so I think it is fair to give Grosjean another chance, the fact that the team are willing to back him might also give him a bit of a confidence boost.

They need, unless they plan to achieve WDC and WCC and then fade away after Kimi departure. They need to have continuity with drivers. It would be fine, if they would have been sure that Kimi will stay for YEARS, yet they do not have. Then it is important, to raise some brilliant driver alongside WDC.

#1782 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,278 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:36

Can someone pls remind me - in 2012 did RG have contact with another car other than on the first lap?

#1783 Paul McLucas

Paul McLucas

• 119 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:40

As a Ferrari fan, I would have actually been more assured if they'd have picked anyone else, including Kobayashi or Sutil or anyone. But Grosjean is a proper threat.

Fernando, as a Ferrari fan, agrees that Grosjean is a "proper threat".

#1784 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:49

Can someone pls remind me - in 2012 did RG have contact with another car other than on the first lap?

Abu Dhabi at least.

#1785 quidam

quidam

• 188 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:22

Like Kimi, they know what they are doing :rotfl:

#1786 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,631 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:46

He deserved a second chance. But 2012 was his second chance, and he was a disaster.

#1787 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,306 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:58

Romain is an amazingly fast driver but a terrible wheel to wheel racer. If he can go the full season without causing a first lap incident I'll be happily proven wrong as he seems a great guy.

#1788 Talisman

Talisman

• 773 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:19

Grosjean has made mistakes this year but I see a lot of potential once he mellows out a little. I'm happy he has another chance but if he carries on in 2013 as he did in 2012 incidents wise then he needs to be booted out.

I'm disappointed Kobayashi didn't get a seat but personally I feel there are bigger wastes of space currently with F1 contracts than Grosjean who Kamui could do better than.

#1789 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,728 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:22

I'm surprised that this is seen in any way as controversial - there was no better choice for Lotus to make, so it was a bit of a no-brainer.

#1790 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:33

The guy is much better than a lot of people give him credit for. 2012 was a nightmare of a season both of his own doing and bad luck, but he's got what it takes. As a Ferrari fan, I would have actually been more assured if they'd have picked anyone else, including Kobayashi or Sutil or anyone. But Grosjean is a proper threat. He's not 'just fast', either. He might be aggressive, but he's got it in him to really pull together a season. You dont win championships like he has if you cant.

Be glad to see his wife around the paddock, too. Cant deny that. :D

Grosjean might well turn out to be (again) Lotus-team's biggest threat :rolleyes:

Last year I hoped that he would be a threat to Kimi, but nope. I really hoped that RG and KR would have been challenging each other on the track in order to get the best out of them both. So I don't have very high hopes for next year unless Romain undergoes a fundamental inner change instead of talking about his 'small mistakes and bad luck'.

So you think he has got what it takes to drive a full season in F1? Hope you are right about that :up:

He was aggressive and fast in GP2, another thing is if he understands that cars are different in F1. GP2 is full of crashes, but in F1 the joy is to watch how the drivers are able to overtake each others without crashing.

Hopefully Lotus has made a different contract with him for this year (and not for 5 years like EB said earlier), so that they can put him aside in the middle of the season if he turns out to be the Crash King of the season - again.

The guy should have plenty of experience, wasn't he Pirelli's test driver during the last years? And a GP2-champion? And replacing Nelson Piquet Jr. in 2009?

Considering that Kimi was mostly testing new devices that compromised his setups for qualification/race Romain's results were less than poor. What if FIA hadn't intervened with the race ban?

Actually it surprises me that FIA didn't put his super license on probation, they should have done that since he can honestly be seen as a danger on the track.

Then again if he has learned spatial awareness and managed to develop his aggressiveness (meaning aggressive á la F1, not á la GP2), then I take back all my words. At the beginning of the season I made excuses for him and felt sorry for him but in the middle of the season a crash just was to be expected from him.

If he hasn't learned spatial awareness and respect for other drivers on the track this season, then he is a lost case and it's clear that the man needs to have a clear track in order to perform. Which is not a given in F1.

Sad part is that Lotus ruined their chances of coming in 3rd in WCC thanks to RG :mad:

#1791 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:37

Grosjean has made mistakes this year but I see a lot of potential once he mellows out a little. I'm happy he has another chance but if he carries on in 2013 as he did in 2012 incidents wise then he needs to be booted out.

I'm disappointed Kobayashi didn't get a seat but personally I feel there are bigger wastes of space currently with F1 contracts than Grosjean who Kamui could do better than.

What if the following happens: Romain mellows out a little - and turns out to be slow? Drivers giving him way in order to avoid a crash, they lose time whereas he gains it. I remember many incidents where commentators said "phew, if XX wouldn't had given way to RG, then we would have seen a crash again".

Sorry, venting out some disappointment here. I was hoping for Koba or someone else to get his seat. Even hoping that someone from their Gravity-program would get their chance to show if they can become the future driver #1 in Lotus.

#1792 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,518 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:59

I'm surprised that this is seen in any way as controversial - there was no better choice for Lotus to make, so it was a bit of a no-brainer.

Some people rate Kobayashi higher. I don't, I think Romain's quicker and it wasn't worth disrupting team harmony/continuity by replacing him with Kamui, but can see where they're coming from. Had far less incidents in his recent career, and some people rate his speed for having beaten Heidfeld/De La Rosa and done well in those debut races for Toyota.

#1793 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:01

Some people rate Kobayashi higher. I don't, I think Romain's quicker and it wasn't worth disrupting team harmony/continuity by replacing him with Kamui, but can see where they're coming from. Had far less incidents in his recent career, and some people rate his speed for having beaten Heidfeld/De La Rosa and done well in those debut races for Toyota.

+1

Your exactly right.

#1794 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:31

Sutil? Kovalainen? Senna? ...I could easily name at least 5 drivers who would probably score more points and cost less damage. I wouldn't expect a 2nd driver to be able to outscore his teammate in even any races. In a top-5 car, however, the driver should be expected to score at least a point in the majority of races. This guy can hardly finish half of them and gets beaten by his teammate nearly every other one. Less than half the points of his teammate is not acceptable anywhere, let alone a top-5 car.

Too blatantly obvious that he's the recipient of favoritism from his manager who happens to be the team principal.

#1795 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:30

Congrats to Romain. His qualifying pace really compliments Kimi's pace. If he cleans up his act, he could win a race next year.

#1796 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 853 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:53

Total renews support for Romain

Romain Grosjean: “I have learned a lot from my first full season in Formula 1 and my goal now is to put this experience into practice and achieve more steady and consistent performances. I am really looking forward to getting back into the cockpit. I would like to thank Total for their renewed trust.”

Jacques-Emmanuel Saulnier, Senior Vice-President Corporate Communications, Total: “Total is pleased to support Romain Grosjean for the second consecutive year of his career in Formula 1. This is a new step in the relationship of trust that we have built together from his first laps, 7 years ago.
Supporting young talents, encouraging the path of excellence and performance, is a mission that is important to us. It complements the technological commitment that binds us to manufacturers and allows us to make of Formula 1, a laboratory of innovation to provide our customers with fuels and lubricants which tend to optimum energy efficiency.”

Edited by Lord_Shaitan, 18 December 2012 - 12:54.

#1797 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,933 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 13:07

Well good luck in 2013 Romain! He needs to get his confidence back and stop "driving scared" like he did after the ban. He's done it once before (after getting fired the first time), so i expect he can do it again. And try to develope a bit better spatial awareness, particularly at the start and in the early laps too. Apart from that, he's potential WDC material.

#1798 beefree88

beefree88

• 116 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:10

Well good luck in 2013 Romain! He needs to get his confidence back and stop "driving scared" like he did after the ban. He's done it once before (after getting fired the first time), so i expect he can do it again. And try to develope a bit better spatial awareness, particularly at the start and in the early laps too. Apart from that, he's potential WDC material.

I don't think there's a problem with his spatial awareness. When he focuses on the right things he's okay, but than drifts away. He gets from overconfidence to underconfidence and back almost constantly. Maybe he gets more settled next year, and finds his balance. He could learn from Kimi's "don't worry, just work, and we'll see the results" attitude.

Edited by beefree88, 18 December 2012 - 18:22.

#1799 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:23

Last time he did that was in Brazil. Maybe it was poor spatial awareness, inexperience or brainfade, but he got on wet paint and crashed. Others avoided the paint.
But I'm not saying he is a bad driver, he is fast. He just doesn't know where his car is. I hope for a solid season 2013 for him.

Alonso ran straight on at turn one, twice (once when under yellow flags, yet nobody screamed and shouted about that), maybe he lacks spatial awareness or had brain fade...

Advertisement

#1800 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:31

Too blatantly obvious that he's the recipient of favoritism from his manager who happens to be the team principal.

One of Eric's first jobs when he was appointed team principle was to tell Romain his services where no longer required I.E. sack him. He does whats best for the team & in his opinion (and others whose opinions matter far more than us) he deserves to be there next year, he has the speed to be a top driver, if he can't cut out the mistakes next season then fine, he's had a fair crack at it and not taken it but if he can, you've potentially got one hell of a driver.