* * * - - 21 votes

Romain Grosjean

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1901 replies to this topic

#1801 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:41

Alonso ran straight on at turn one, twice (once when under yellow flags, yet nobody screamed and shouted about that), maybe he lacks spatial awareness or had brain fade...

Yes. Maybe. Didn't already Suzuka imply something like that ;)
But yeah, everyone surely did some mistakes because it was wet, but not everyone crashed. I don't remember Alonso's mistakes, should see those again. But if it was just going wide that isn't a big deal, Grosjean lost it on the paint because he turned too much.

Compare racing lines yourself, if you want.

Advertisement

#1802 swerved

swerved

• 3,615 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:44

Alonso ran straight on at turn one, twice (once when under yellow flags, yet nobody screamed and shouted about that), maybe he lacks spatial awareness or had brain fade...

Surely you're joking ? As much as i dislike El Samurai at least his errors are few and far between, thats not something that can truthfully be applied to Romain imo.

#1803 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 18:44

Yes. Maybe. Didn't already Suzuka imply something like that ;)
But yeah, everyone surely did some mistakes because it was wet, but not everyone crashed. I don't remember Alonso's mistakes, should see those again. But if it was just going wide that isn't a big deal, Grosjean lost it on the paint because he turned too much.

Compare racing lines yourself, if you want.

It is a "big deal" when its under yellows...

Anyway, this is OT.

#1804 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 19:02

Surely you're joking ? As much as i dislike El Samurai at least his errors are few and far between, thats not something that can truthfully be applied to Romain imo.

It was an example to show that in a wet/damp/changing conditions race anybody can make mistakes, thus being critical of RoGro for Brazil isn't particularly valid.

#1805 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 836 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 20:09

I hear that Lotus ambassador Jean Alesi is going coach Grosjean on his starts for next season.

#1806 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 22:57

I hear that Lotus ambassador Jean Alesi is going coach Grosjean on his starts for next season.

Great that Romain is being resigned but shuttled back to driving school. I really want him to improve so this is good news.

#1807 Zava

Zava

• 5,004 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 14:21

Great that Romain is being resigned but shuttled back to driving school. I really want him to improve so this is good news.

have you clicked the link? :p

#1808 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,935 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 16:55

Well... rolling starts are tricky :lol:

#1809 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,754 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 17:00

LOL wtfk did he smoke before that race?!

#1810 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 17:05

Forgot about this fine piece of driving by grosjean, also in brasil, he´s really a stunner of a driver:

#1811 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 17:24

What a basfest, geez

#1812 Talisman

Talisman

• 774 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 22:08

Well good luck in 2013 Romain! He needs to get his confidence back and stop "driving scared" like he did after the ban. He's done it once before (after getting fired the first time), so i expect he can do it again. And try to develope a bit better spatial awareness, particularly at the start and in the early laps too. Apart from that, he's potential WDC material.

I agree, and in addition he has a good attitude IMO. He showed great humility during the ban and genuinely seemed to try to find the root cause of his accidents. He seemed devastated after the Suzuka crash and even seemed to be trying too hard to avoid accidents (which contributed to his accident in Japan IMO). There's good potential for him to address his issues and improve.

Contrast that to Perez (its fine not to score any points in the last six races and cause several accidents) or worse Maldonaldo (everyone's fault but mine).

I'll be watching him closely in 2013 and if he keeps his nose clean and is as quick as I expect him to be I'll support him too.

#1813 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 22:23

I agree, and in addition he has a good attitude IMO. He showed great humility during the ban and genuinely seemed to try to find the root cause of his accidents. He seemed devastated after the Suzuka crash and even seemed to be trying too hard to avoid accidents (which contributed to his accident in Japan IMO). There's good potential for him to address his issues and improve.

Contrast that to Perez (its fine not to score any points in the last six races and cause several accidents) or worse Maldonaldo (everyone's fault but mine).

I'll be watching him closely in 2013 and if he keeps his nose clean and is as quick as I expect him to be I'll support him too.

To be honest, I don't really recall Grosjean ever really owning up to the crashes he caused. I remember him talking about being afraid to be too passive because he thought it invited people being more aggressive. But I'd be interested in being shown (a) any of the instances where his attitude impressed you in the way that you describe and (b) instances where avoiding crashes caused crash.

#1814 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 22:34

To be honest, I don't really recall Grosjean ever really owning up to the crashes he caused. I remember him talking about being afraid to be too passive because he thought it invited people being more aggressive. But I'd be interested in being shown (a) any of the instances where his attitude impressed you in the way that you describe and (b) instances where avoiding crashes caused crash.

Suzuka, on both counts. He was trying desperately to avoid the Sauber on the left (due to the ban etc) that he didn't see the closing speed to Mark infront of him.

"It was a stupid clash"

#1815 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 22:39

Considering that Maldonado wasn't involved in any notorious crash or incident after Grosjean's ban, thats quite a silly comment to make and one could argue that Maldonado learned more from Grosjean's ban than Grosjean itself.

#1816 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,677 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 22:41

Suzuka, on both counts. He was trying desperately to avoid the Sauber on the left (due to the ban etc) that he didn't see the closing speed to Mark infront of him.

"It was a stupid clash"

It WAS a stupid crash. I don't think he will get get any better. Its a shame, because he is consistent, and fast.

#1817 Music Lover

Music Lover

• 345 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:41

I'm a huge fan of Kimi, but damn enough is enough. Absolutely nothing even remotely negative can be said about Kimi without the (absurdly) large crowd of Kimi defence force members starting to shout about Kimi's extraordinary talent and 'legendary' status as a remote yet lovable mystery man. I guess I don't like the praise because I'm a Finn as well. We are weird.

But on the other hand, as Kimi did a close to perfect season despite being away 2 years from F1 - I can somehow understand a few forum members taking offence when Kimi quite often being criticized for various situations during the season.

Remember
Kimi was heavily criticized a year ago (too old, no dedication, being away too long, overrated etc) and was doomed to fail badly. Then the massive criticism regarding his steering wheel issues - but he delivered and proved his excellent race craft. Possibly making his best season ever. Arguably almost as good as Alonso.

The guys in the paddock have nothing but praise when Kimi is discussed, go figure! They should know.

But this is Gro thread...
Sorry for the OT

#1818 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 16:21

Well let's all hope he has a good and successful 2013 season.

#1819 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,482 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 16:36

I don't think there's a problem with his spatial awareness. When he focuses on the right things he's okay, but than drifts away. He gets from overconfidence to underconfidence and back almost constantly. Maybe he gets more settled next year, and finds his balance. He could learn from Kimi's "don't worry, just work, and we'll see the results" attitude.

I think he really has a very fragile state of mind. I remember one example which got my attention. In Brazil 2009, he started well, defended well against Button.

Then after being passed, he completely fell apart and allowed several drivers to pass him in the next couple of laps. AFAIK there was nothing wrong with the car, he picked up the pace afterwards, but those couple of laps were so bad, really slow, missing apexes, it's almost like he was trying to get out of people's way rather than race them.

Advertisement

#1820 balage06

balage06

• 76 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 16:54

I think he really has a very fragile state of mind. I remember one example which got my attention. In Brazil 2009, he started well, defended well against Button.

Then after being passed, he completely fell apart and allowed several drivers to pass him in the next couple of laps. AFAIK there was nothing wrong with the car, he picked up the pace afterwards, but those couple of laps were so bad, really slow, missing apexes, it's almost like he was trying to get out of people's way rather than race them.

Romain Grosjean - 13th

"I made a good start but after that I was missing grip and it was difficult for me to get heat into the tyres. I did my best and pushed hard throughout the race, but unfortunately that wasn't enough. The end of my race was better but because of the problems at the start of the race I only finished in 13th place."

#1821 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,059 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 17:07

Contrast that to Perez (its fine not to score any points in the last six races and cause several accidents)

what several accidents??

#1822 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 17:45

what several accidents??

Suzuka, trying to overtake Hamilton but making a mess of it. India, trying to overtake Ricciardo but turning in too early and clipping Ric front wing. Abu Dhabi, rejoining the track in a unsafe manner and causing a collision with Grosjean.

#1823 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,455 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 17:46

Suzuka, trying to overtake Hamilton but making a mess of it. India, trying to overtake Ricciardo but turning in too early and clipping Ric front wing. Abu Dhabi, rejoining the track in a unsafe manner and causing a collision with Grosjean.

Also the incident with Glock at Austin.

#1824 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,482 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 19:07

Romain Grosjean - 13th

"I made a good start but after that I was missing grip and it was difficult for me to get heat into the tyres. I did my best and pushed hard throughout the race, but unfortunately that wasn't enough. The end of my race was better but because of the problems at the start of the race I only finished in 13th place."

That doesn't quite tally with what you see when watching the race. I don't know if it will be possible to find laptimes for that race, but he seemed to be doing reasonably well until about lap 5.

As soon as he was passed by one car, he just seemed to give up and let a bunch of people past, Vettel, Heidfeld, Hamilton, Kovalainen, all within a few corners.

Definitely a problem with his mind, rather than the tyres. We've seen drivers who can't heat up the tyres, but still fight for position.

#1825 balage06

balage06

• 76 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:15

That doesn't quite tally with what you see when watching the race. I don't know if it will be possible to find laptimes for that race, but he seemed to be doing reasonably well until about lap 5.

As soon as he was passed by one car, he just seemed to give up and let a bunch of people past, Vettel, Heidfeld, Hamilton, Kovalainen, all within a few corners.

Definitely a problem with his mind, rather than the tyres. We've seen drivers who can't heat up the tyres, but still fight for position.

Actually there was a Safety Car period in the first four or five laps because of the famous Sutil - Trulli incident, and after the restart, Grosjean struggled to get heat into the tyres and he fell down the order quickly. But after that his pace was good.

#1826 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,498 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:18

Nice synopsis of Romain's career so far..  ;)

#1827 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,482 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:33

Actually there was a Safety Car period in the first four or five laps because of the famous Sutil - Trulli incident, and after the restart, Grosjean struggled to get heat into the tyres and he fell down the order quickly. But after that his pace was good.

OK, I'd forgotten about the SC, and maybe you are right about the tyres, but most drivers wouldn't have given up the way Grosjean did. I still remember very clearly how slowly Grosjean started driving after he was overtaken, and how he missed his apex by miles. On one corner, he was overtaken by 2 cars at once.

#1828 balage06

balage06

• 76 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:56

Nice synopsis of Romain's career so far.. ;)

I prefer this one.

#1829 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,059 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 21:01

suzuka...nice work not hitting hamilton...grosjean would be all over hamilton...like we saw on many occasions in cravens link...

india...don't recall

abu dhabi...just watched the replay of the accident...perez comes back on the track on the racing line just behind di resta...and is on the track for 2 seconds...enters the corner...and gets hit in the rear wheel at an angle of 20-30 degrees....

#1830 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 836 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 21:36

Posted Image

I always loved this incident, how Webber spins in slow-mo and transforms into Grosjean's front wing.

#1831 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 21:42

I prefer this one.

Interesting lack of F1 there, wouldn´t you say?

#1832 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 836 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 21:47

Followed by surely his best start.

Posted Image

#1833 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:42

Nice synopsis of Romain's career so far.. ;)

Loved the overhead shot from between buildings in Monaco of Romain going sideways at the same speed as the rest of the grid. :lol:

#1834 balage06

balage06

• 76 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:34

Interesting lack of F1 there, wouldn´t you say?

Here you go:
http://www.dailymoti...rt#.UNQr6HddCSo

Edited by balage06, 21 December 2012 - 11:18.

#1835 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 18:28

Followed by surely his best start.

Posted Image

what we can take from this video is the spatial awareness of kimi, he backed out where given opportunity, grosjean would've taken Williams out.

#1836 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 18:51

what we can take from this video is the spatial awareness of kimi, he backed out where given opportunity, grosjean would've taken Williams out.

Of course you're gonna turn this into something Kimi-related. :lol:

And you're just guessing man. No way to know what they would have done in each other's shoes.

#1837 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 19:03

Of course you're gonna turn this into something Kimi-related. :lol:

And you're just guessing man. No way to know what they would have done in each other's shoes.

:smoking:

#1838 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 19:19

I think what you can take from that video is a)kimi had a much better start, but was blocked by the williams, b)grosjean even on his "good" highlights is hitting people, and b)maldonado is a dangerous moron who throws his car at everyone near him.

#1839 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 19:39

b)grosjean even on his "good" highlights is hitting people,

Grosjean didn't hit anyone there. Maldonado looks to have hit Grosjean, though, in his effort to stay alongside through the corner. Its not like Grosjean just dived into that spot at the last second. Maldonado had plenty of time to recognize that Grosjean was there alongside him before turning in.

Amazing that Grosjean makes a good move and yet still gets bashed.

Edited by Seanspeed, 21 December 2012 - 19:40.

Advertisement

#1840 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 20:01

Amazing that Grosjean makes a good move and yet still gets bashed.

Posted Image

#1841 swerved

swerved

• 3,615 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 20:05

Posted Image

#1842 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 00:27

Posted Image

OOOOppps its HUGE...eh apologies.

Edited by g1n, 22 December 2012 - 00:28.

#1843 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:15

OT: Babies are gross up close.

#1844 swerved

swerved

• 3,615 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:14

OT: Babies are gross up close.

Some of them remain that way even when they Grow, John!!.

#1845 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:25

Looks like Grosjean's manager stil hasn't lost his determination to see his client become perceived as the greatest driver in the world: http://www.yallaf1.c...osjeans-career/

#1846 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:32

Looks like Grosjean's manager stil hasn't lost his determination to see his client become perceived as the greatest driver in the world: http://www.yallaf1.c...osjeans-career/

Did he actually say that, or anything approaching that?

“And if he develops properly, he can be made not only a grand prix winner, but also a world champion.

If he develops the way we want, then soon he will be one of the top five F1 drivers.”

No.

Your embellishment is worse than any by Monsieur Boullier.

Besides, matching Kimi over one lap for most of the season in his first full year is no mean feat. Eric is right, he's bloody fast, if (And its a big, round, full bodied if) he can develop and race with more consistency then he has a lot of potential. He needs to show it neat year though.

Edited by olliek88, 23 December 2012 - 12:33.

#1847 swerved

swerved

• 3,615 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:49

Did he actually say that, or anything approaching that?

No.

Your embellishment is worse than any by Monsieur Boullier.

Besides, matching Kimi over one lap for most of the season in his first full year is no mean feat. Eric is right, he's bloody fast, if (And its a big, round, full bodied if) he can develop and race with more consistency then he has a lot of potential. He needs to show it neat year though.

Even more impressive when you consider that most of his races only seem to last for one lap :stoned:

2ms, If Grosjeans talent was half as great as your imagination, he no doubt would be a top 5 driver.

#1848 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 13:57

Matching a rusty kimi who was probably only at 2003 level. Gro gro is fast and I think he will win races and I don't think he should change the way he drives just try to crash less.

#1849 Zava

Zava

• 5,004 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 14:04

Matching a rusty kimi who was probably only at 2003 level. Gro gro is fast and I think he will win races and I don't think he should change the way he drives just try to crash less.

:drunk: one of his best years IMO.

#1850 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,047 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 14:35

Rusty or not, Grosjean has far, far less experience that Kimi and as a result, he potentially has far more room to improve.