Romain Grosjean

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1901 replies to this topic

#101 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 16:01

adamcooperf1

Romain Grosjean has joined Gravity Management which means in effect he's back in the Renault F1 family. Petrov watch out.

http://www.f1fanatic...ity-management/

Advertisement

#102 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,518 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 16:45

Great news! Not sure what this means for his future though, if they replace Petrov I think they'll bring in a more experienced driver ex. Kovalainen, Glock, Sutil, ...

#103 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 16:52

Nice news indeed, he deserves another shot at F1, with pre-season testing.

#104 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,278 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 17:14

http://www.f1fanatic...ity-management/

:clap:

Hope he doesnt end up taking a test driver (team ambassador) role... I am sure it will help to have a Frenchman (even if its just a licence holder) associated with Renault...especially a rich one.

#105 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,129 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 17:22

Ouch! Now that was a right Royal slap in the face. Off with ya head lol. Well what is there to say about him? He has a hot chick yet didn't succeed in F1. Story over..

I think he deserves another shot at F1. It's not fair to judge him on half a season. Give him a full season, then we'll discuss.

#106 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,728 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 17:50

I'm not sure hat quoting Dooly Tilly is the right thing to do - he needs the attention a little too much.

#107 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,794 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 18:06

He's back on the market. Wayhay!

#108 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 18:29

I expect he'll fill in for Jules Bianchi.

Wasnt he one of the blues brothers :drunk:

#109 ApexTomi

ApexTomi

• 115 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 18:50

I'm happy for him! I'm pretty sure we are going to see him racing in F1 again and he will come back stronger :up:

#110 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 19:01

Great news! Not sure what this means for his future though, if they replace Petrov I think they'll bring in a more experienced driver ex. Kovalainen, Glock, Sutil, ...

Glock and Sutil declared their commitment to current teams and Kova has a contract with Lotus. It's unlikely but what if Petrov is awful/below average in the last six races and those mentioned above are not available? Grosjean might be an alternative then.

#111 saunarobot

saunarobot

• 250 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 19:25

In GP2 Petrov was as far behind Grosjean as he is behind Kubica.

Edited by saunarobot, 08 September 2010 - 19:26.

#112 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,794 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 13:41

He's the new Pirelli tester.

#113 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 13:47

He's the new Pirelli tester.

Great move for him.
Should put him in contention for a seat next year, he never had a fair shot at F1 first time around.

#114 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 653 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 13:57

But why Romain? Pedro DLR once a great test driver with Mclaren.

#115 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 14:04

But why Romain? Pedro DLR once a great test driver with Mclaren.

Yeah plus Pedro has a great deal of experience.

Anyway, great gig for Romain.

#116 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 705 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:53

Who could possibly resist him now? SIGN HIM

#117 Bbbut

Bbbut

• 126 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 15:53

But why Romain?

Because Grosjean was Pirelli's test driver in their GP3 tyre program. Simple as that.

#118 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,986 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 15:58

I suspect the Pirelli team will be playing musical chairs with many ex and current F1 drivers. There's no way they are going to rely solely on RG's feedback to develop their F1 tyres for the 2011.

#119 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,866 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 13:48

Congrats to Romain for clinching the Auto GP championship. He made a mockery of the field, participating only in 8 of 12 races and still outscored second place 58 points to 42 points. Here's hoping he gets a GP2 or F1 seat again. In an article in GPUpdate he is hoping for one.

http://www.gpupdate....-priority-list/

Advertisement

#120 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,794 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 17:08

He made a mockery of the field...

This. He really should be in F1. The difference is astounding.

Edited by Disgrace, 04 October 2010 - 17:08.

#121 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,278 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 17:22

This. He really should be in F1. The difference is astounding.

I expected him to be star when he went to Renault. I thought it was all there for him.... FA was getting ready to move on, he's on a French racing licence, he's got bags of talent. I expected him to be with the team for years... but he failed spectacularly. I still dont understand exactly what went wrong. I think most people are similarly mystified by how wretchedly he performed (even taking into account the performance of others who dubuted in cars midseason in 09).

I think there is a possibility that this failure could be repeated and unless he can say to the world "this is where I went wrong and I have learnt my lesson" team bosses are going to be wary of trusting him with their cars because there may be a flaw somewhere in his makeup that is not properly understood.

#122 grunge

grunge

• 4,281 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 17:41

I expected him to be star when he went to Renault. I thought it was all there for him.... FA was getting ready to move on, he's on a French racing licence, he's got bags of talent. I expected him to be with the team for years... but he failed spectacularly. I still dont understand exactly what went wrong. I think most people are similarly mystified by how wretchedly he performed (even taking into account the performance of others who dubuted in cars midseason in 09).

I think there is a possibility that this failure could be repeated and unless he can say to the world "this is where I went wrong and I have learnt my lesson" team bosses are going to be wary of trusting him with their cars because there may be a flaw somewhere in his makeup that is not properly understood.

i for one dont feel he's actual performances were as abysmal as his results show..he matched Alonso for pace on a no. of occasions,was unlucky in a no. of qualifying session being blocked etc..his race performances were dissapointing i agree but thats not something that cant be improved with experience..for me he was right up there in terms of raw pace when he got it right..thats an asset.

im still a big fan and hope he could make a comeback.

#123 santori

santori

• 3,913 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 17:50

I'm another hoping to see him back. Well done, that man.

#124 Pato

Pato

• 179 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 23:13

Hopefully Kubica's misfortune will be Romain's fortune and get him back in F1 where he deserves.

#125 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,559 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:12

Hopefully Kubica's misfortune will be Romain's fortune and get him back in F1 where he deserves.

I think Romain will be wary of jumping into an F1 seat over completing a GP2 campaign again. He's definitely worthy of a decent go in F1, but he never got to finish his 'apprenticeship' in GP2, a series he's favourite for this year. If he cruises to that title he may not have to worry about how long he's filling a seat for, and more about how long his full-time contract is for. He should play the long game. Senna will be an able deputy, and they may rotate depending on how easily or not each driver is finding their respective seasons. GP2 is only for the European F1 rounds, so Grosjean might be able to do some of the flyaways...

#126 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:07

Romain Grosjean - GP2 champion.

Fully deserved, once he got over the early season troubles he has been by far the best and most consistent driver in the field.

Now he should get a proper go at F1 next season, maybe even some FP running this season too.

#127 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 853 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:28

Romain Grosjean - GP2 champion.

Fully deserved, once he got over the early season troubles he has been by far the best and most consistent driver in the field.

This :up: .

Bravo Romain! Thank you for many magical moments this season. What a nice day :clap: !

Edited by Lord_Shaitan, 27 August 2011 - 15:28.

#128 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 973 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 16:30

I would be very surprised if he doesn't replace Senna for at least one race this year.

There isn't enough time in winter testing to evaluate them, so they really have to do it in the remaining races.

#129 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 21:12

I would be very surprised if he doesn't replace Senna for at least one race this year.

There isn't enough time in winter testing to evaluate them, so they really have to do it in the remaining races.

I concur. The season is already lost and the best way to salvage it would be to trial Both Senna and Grosjean and prep either of the to be ready to replace Kubica is his recovery doesn't meet the teams expectations.

#130 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,933 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 21:34

Congratulations Romain! :up:

He's always been fast, but I've been a lot more impressed with Grosjean mk. II than I was with mk. I. He seems a far more complete driver this year. Having to rescue his career from the wreckage seems to have actually done him some good :)

#131 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,709 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 23:09

Congratulations to Grosjean; he's really been the class of the GP2 field this year, and has added better racecraft and a cooler temperament to the speed he showed first time round. I would be interested to know how important a role his GT racing last year played in this progress.

#132 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,606 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 23:21

I think Romain will be wary of jumping into an F1 seat over completing a GP2 campaign again. He's definitely worthy of a decent go in F1, but he never got to finish his 'apprenticeship' in GP2, a series he's favourite for this year. If he cruises to that title he may not have to worry about how long he's filling a seat for, and more about how long his full-time contract is for. He should play the long game. Senna will be an able deputy, and they may rotate depending on how easily or not each driver is finding their respective seasons. GP2 is only for the European F1 rounds, so Grosjean might be able to do some of the flyaways...

He needs to avoid a situation where he is heavily judged on a small number of races without the proper preparation. For Bruno, it makes sense to get some races in but he is not in last chance saloon to the same extent I think. I would like to see him (RG) get some Friday running at Renault at a few races before any full race weekends are contemplated.

#133 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,866 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 00:02

Congrats to Grosjean :up: Give that guy a seat in F1 already!

#134 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:22

Jamesallenonf1 James Allen
Romain Grosjean clinched GP2 title yesterday. Hearing some impressive things about his data from tyre engineers. Deserves an F1 chance

#135 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,606 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:30

I hate to see a driver who has been exemplary en route to F1 and shown real potential being chewed up and spat out by the system without a proper opportunity, which is what happened to RG. His response in terms of rebuilding his career has been great too.

I would say the same about Nico Hulkenberg, but hopefully he has a way back too perhaps with FI.

RG deserves a proper chance. F1 needs more talented drivers to try to challenge the top three. There will be seats available in the top 5 or 6 teams in the next few years, with the probable exception of McLaren (and the second RB seat may already have Ricciardo's name on it long term).

#136 F1matt

F1matt

• 112 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:39

Would Roman bring money to the Renault team in the way that Senna is? Hard to see how he will get a chance this season as the team now have effectively two pay drivers, and if Robert Kubica returns next year then Petrov is still on a long term contract so there is no opportunities there, the older guys in F1 are signing contract extensions so the midfield guys aren’t moving up, I think either Sutil or Di Resta would of being promoted to the Mercedes team if Schumacher had quit, similar thing from Riccardio or one of the Toro Rosso drivers if Webber had quit, but as it stands we have to many drivers looking for rides as the life span for a driver is increasing dramatically.

#137 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:59

Grosjean is talking to Williams according to some sources.
This team always grab GP2 champions)

#138 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,606 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:06

Would Roman bring money to the Renault team in the way that Senna is? Hard to see how he will get a chance this season as the team now have effectively two pay drivers, and if Robert Kubica returns next year then Petrov is still on a long term contract so there is no opportunities there, the older guys in F1 are signing contract extensions so the midfield guys aren’t moving up, I think either Sutil or Di Resta would of being promoted to the Mercedes team if Schumacher had quit, similar thing from Riccardio or one of the Toro Rosso drivers if Webber had quit, but as it stands we have to many drivers looking for rides as the life span for a driver is increasing dramatically.

Yes, OK. Still, if Kubica does not come back Renault need the best possible lead driver. Who is available? Lots of names, I know, but no slam dunks IMO. Could be Bruno Senna, but Renault need to know how Grosjean compares. This year shows the price of not having the best possible lead driver (Heidfeld was disappointing, unfortunately).

If some of the drivers you mention move up to top teams, they will create vacancies in the mid-field (Force India, Torro Rosso etc). I think Massa, Webber and Schumacher will be out of their current seats in 2013 with two of them retired (MS and MW). Rubens and Jarno will probably retire in the next year or two.

#139 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,794 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 17:21

Grosjean. :clap:

I hope he doesn't go to Williams. They've already chewed and spat out GP2 champion Hulkenberg, and he was their third driver for years. They would do it again if the cash flow slows.

Advertisement

#140 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,866 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 15:25

I just recognised this. Romain is the reigning champion in Auto GP, GP2 Asia and GP2. He currently hold three titles :eek: :eek: :clap: :clap: :clap:

#141 F1EC

F1EC

• 863 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 16:07

He was driving a Renault car at Duxford today ...

#142 Alarcon

Alarcon

• 2,468 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 17:11

We know at GP2 we can find some good potential drivers of F1... but in recent time, apart Lewis (of course) and Nico (and maybe Koba), GP2 was not so brilliant level. What if the GP2 level is low? (just a theory) Nelsinho was awful, Kovalainen nothing special, either Hulkenberg, Glock, DiGrassi, Speed, Nakajima, Buemi... and let´s see Maldonado and Perez.

I´m sure he´s a very nice driver he started in F1 on the bad moment and of course he deserves an opportunity. Just look Petrov, was horrible (one of the worst), and still stands on F1...

Edited by Alarcon, 01 September 2011 - 17:13.

#143 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 20:01

We know at GP2 we can find some good potential drivers of F1... but in recent time, apart Lewis (of course) and Nico (and maybe Koba), GP2 was not so brilliant level. What if the GP2 level is low? (just a theory) Nelsinho was awful, Kovalainen nothing special, either Hulkenberg, Glock, DiGrassi, Speed, Nakajima, Buemi... and let´s see Maldonado and Perez.

I´m sure he´s a very nice driver he started in F1 on the bad moment and of course he deserves an opportunity. Just look Petrov, was horrible (one of the worst), and still stands on F1...

I think all of the highlighted are very good drivers, of different levels but all good and above. Heikki was often very close to lewis and sometimes ahead in qualy just poor race form let him down, the others are all worthy F1 drivers, the hulk is a future WDC in my opinion, his career has lost a bit of momentum but i think he is a cut above most guys (par lewis/nico) to come out of GP2, thats just my view.

#144 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,606 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 21:06

Nelsinho was not awful. In other circumstances he could have had an upper midfield F1 career. Kovalainen is a good F1 driver who I would like to see move up the grid again. Hulkenberg is yet to be fully evaluated, but could be high potential. Ditto Grosjean, who you didn't mention. Glock and Buemi are good too. I don't know about the others, but time will tell on Perez for example.

The level will vary, of course. We don't have a Lewis Hamilton every year. It seems to me that GP2 has been successful as a feeder series for good or very good F1 drivers.

#145 mrmusicman

mrmusicman

• 276 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:11

You really don't understand what went wrong? I will give you two clues. Dumped into a terrible car mid season with no testing. That is a terrible disadvantage for a rookie. And I don't see how being only 0.5 from Alonso under those circumstances could be classified as failing spectacularly. He showed great potential in his limited chance. Also don't forget that by the end of the season the renault was arguable the worst car on the grid. Alonso qualfied 18th or something for the last race.

#146 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 19:40

f1zone F1Zone
Romain Grosjean did 600km testing of Renault's R29 (2009 car) at Valencia today

#147 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:33

Romain will drive R31 in FP1 at Yas Marina and Interlagos:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/95742

:up:

#148 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:55

Awesome!

:D

#149 SteF1an

SteF1an

• 842 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:10

Romain will drive R31 in FP1 at Yas Marina and Interlagos:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/95742

:up:

Bad news for Kubica Fans...

#150 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:42

Brilliant news. The guy deserves a second chance. Let's see whether he can match Bruno or Vitaly in FP1.